4GB of ram random crashes/freezes/kernel panics..

135 posts in this topic

why?

i did a lot of testing now i'm sure it's because of the 4GB ram

i use kalyway 10.5.1 now fully updated to 10.5.2 with the 9.2.0 vanilla kernel and also the graphics update

the problem is not there ,i had the random crashes (freezes) even with 10.5.1 (and a lot of ppl)

is it because of kalyway's release and 4gb of ram? some kext that it's modified?

please share your opininions i'm sure a lot of ppl had problems with 4GB of ram and random crashed ,now everybody just use maxmem=2048

or i missed something and can resolved?

either switch your sata into ahci mode (but you might loose some sata ports in this case), or use maxmem thing if you are in ide mode

it's a known issue with ICH9/ICH9R boards

alternatively you can switch to an earlier intel chipset, they seem to lack that problem.

even with sata set to ahci it will crash

only with maxmem=less than 4gb it will not crash

Just rename your JMicron kext so it's doesn't load at next reboot (delete mkext as usual). You will lose IDE drives but OSX will become rock stable :)

Just rename your JMicron kext so it's doesn't load at next reboot (delete mkext as usual). You will lose IDE drives but OSX will become rock stable :(

Well alternatively you can disable jMicron through BIOS?

And no, we've had no problem with 4gb in AHCI mode on P5K deluxe WiFi. I think your problem comes from jMicron usage.

spanakorizo, what kext is causing the kernel panic?

at boot, if you type debug=0x100, it will show the actual log output from the panic instead of the "you need to restart your computer" bit.

I'm having the same issues, and I'm wondering if it really is the JMicron deal. If the panic lists AppleVIAATA anywhere in the backtrace, I bet this is the issue.

and then we can get closer to fixing it.

At the moment I have vanilla P5K, running in IDE mode (board is incapable of AHCI), and I have no PATA devices, not using jMicron either. Using first 3 SATA ports. I have 4GB, but I am using only 2GB at the moment (avoid memory related GSODs).

I got GSOD the other day while trying to burn a dvd disc. Not sure why it occured - the ISO it was burning was being read through SMB from one of my win machines.. I did some crazy transfers before between my machines, and had no problem whatsoever... same with disc burning - 've burned numerous ISOs with no problem whatsoever.. so either this thing is random, related to lan/hdd transfer or it is related to disc burning.

Either way, for the time being I'll assume it's related to IDE mode. I need a new AHCI mobo anyway as this P5K is starting to annoy me. I also tested this conf. on ICH9R P5K Deluxe WiFi board and it ran fine too.. but now I am really unsure whether it's really ok or it just didn't crash on my stress tests.

This whole thing pisses me off as I can't achieve GSODs by doing system stress tests (either mem or hdd or lan). I don't really care about SATA ports, I am sure I will live even with two and no jMicron, I just need a dead stable system as I use it for software developing mostly.

In either case, my new DS3R should be arriving tomorrow, so hopefully that will fix my problem. I'll do some further testing with P5K tomorrow, will try to disable jMicron and remove the corresponding kexts.. but then htf would I test this if these crashes are pseudo-random.

Let's do this, ffs.

As a note, I tried the maxmem thing, and it still crashed. I'm almost positive this is jmicron related, as last night I was trying to copy an entire drive (175+ gb) to another (in prep to reformat as HFS+ journaled), and I would get a kernel panic every time. I was using the terminal to copy the files, and I was going from one IDE drive to a SATA drive. The IDE drive was on the jmicron controller (as on this board, all pata/ide stuff is jmicron, I believe).

Also, I tried the above using the jmicron kext posted on the forum here, editing my original jmicron kext, and deleting it all together. EVERY TIME I got a kernel panic, at about the same place.

I'm very interested in your results!

my results is a perfect system now

yesterday i captured a 60' mini DV HD tape to final cut ,then i edited and then i export it to dvd with compressor!

i created some graphics in photoshop ,and then for 3 hours i was working in motion a project with 10 videos+effects together!

when i finished i had to burn the dVD so i opened toast and i burned it !!

no crash no crash no crash .im so happy

i did ALL the updates ..everything for the osx and pro applications

and now with 4GB ram!!

jmicron enabled but set to AHCI

most important thing is to disable the memory remap

i used to disable it in the past but after sometime i loaded a OC profile in bios and it was enable so i forget it

it's a known issue with ICH9/ICH9R boards

My motherboard has an ICH9R and no issues using 6 GB in SATA-IDE or AHCI mode. (no jmicron)

I'm almost positive this is jmicron related

Very odd. You wouldn't think they would be related since one is controlled by the southbridge chip and memory by the northbridge chip.

Edit:

most important thing is to disable the memory remap

That sounds like a more reasonable answer. Hope it helps for the others.

My motherboard has an ICH9R and no issues using 6 GB in SATA-IDE or AHCI mode. (no jmicron)

Very odd. You wouldn't think they would be related since one is controlled by the southbridge chip and memory by the northbridge chip.

Edit:

That sounds like a more reasonable answer. Hope it helps for the others.

Nod. I think my problem is ICH9/IDE mode (p5k can only do IDE mode). I am not exactly sure it's related to jMicron as I don't use it at all. Maybe jMicron kext is causing panics somehow just because it's loaded even though not in use?

Also for some reason I see a lot of posts where people say they have no problem when running 6 or 8GB, but they have problems when running 4GB. Weird.

What exactly is a memory remap? A BIOS setting?

Some motherboards do not like having all of it's memory slots filled. On my P5b deluxe it won't even boot up if the slots are all filled. So I just got two 2gb sticks it works nicely.

Yes, depends on the RAM and the mobo; Sometimes lowering memory speed does the trick.

I have a DG33TL, Linksys WUSB54G, Nvidia 7900, and C-Media USB Sound "a real mac can use the audio stick", anyway I am starting to get GSODs too, I dont know if its because of the WUSB54G, having IDE enabled, or the video drivers, I will give the IDE disable thing a try, I am a complete noob, any help would be thankful. I also do have 4GB of system RAM on the system also.

Thanks

After some research, it looks like Gigabyte board bios' don't have a memory remap option!

So we're still screwed on that front.

I still think this is related to having the ol jmicron enabled... I'm going to try one of these ideas if I ever get any feedback on them. Then, I'll report back here if I still get kernel panics!

the problem believe me that is with the memory remap and drives set to IDE

specially a conflict between the ram and the hard drives controller

i've did a lot of testing ,i created also a thread for this cause i thought that my system crashes because of the 8800GT beta files

but i'm sure that in the past i had disable memory remap.. :)

for now i can just tell you that jmicron is enabled ,everything set to AHCI and also jmicron kext is been loaded /and not crash anymore

no reason for it now ,maybe i will delete it

2 days now not the simplest crash ,and believe me i did a lot of things ,not only web and some small apps

i did capture,i edited a 60' HDV in final cut,i did some animation and exported the final project with motion, i downloaded movies etc etc

yesterday i saw a movie and i fall asleep ,when i woke up the screensaver was on ,maybe for all the night

i'm very happy ,i hope all of you solve the problem

in my extensions the only kexts that i replaced are (maybe more ,i keep them in a folder ,i;ll check as soon i return home)

smbios (i have the version that recognize the mobo correctly and doesn't say "macpro")

appleacpisupport (old kext for my ps2 keyboard,cause with 10.5.2 it doesn't work)

dsmos

i did ALL the updates for the system /quictime/ tunes/ pro apps ..everything

i use the vanilla kernel that installed with the 10.5.2 apple update ,not any modified kernel (later i will try netkas new kernel and smbios)

if you want i can post them and try ,i'm sure that those are the only kexts i replaced 5 days ago i did since id did a fresh installation with 10.5.2 final update

now if i could only make my pinnacle pctv PCI to work ,cause i need the remote control ..it saved me in xp with an app called uice :)

After some research, it looks like Gigabyte board bios' don't have a memory remap option!

So we're still screwed on that front.

I still think this is related to having the ol jmicron enabled... I'm going to try one of these ideas if I ever get any feedback on them. Then, I'll report back here if I still get kernel panics!

Maybe it's called something else; Something like "memory hole" or "map memory" (and not remap).

I got my DS3R just a few minutes ago, skimming through the mobo booklet.

Update: no I can't find it either. But I think memory remap is always disabled by default. It's pretty easy to check actually. If you boot your 32 windows and it shows up 3.3 then well no remap. I think..

Now the real question is whether I want to proceed installing on DS3R or keep vanilla P5k.. or get P5K DH instead.

It may be the memory remap, but I don't believe it's that the drives are set to IDE. I've set both my intel and jmicron controllers to ahci with the exact same results as when jmicron is set to ide.

And my board doesn't have a memory remap feature. If I'm wrong, someone PLEASE correct me!

in my board memory remap is set to "enabled" by default

in windows there is no problem ,i have 2 profiles in bios /1 for leo and 1 for xp

when i boot with xp is set back to "enable" but even without it allways it shows 3.3gb of ram (cause of 32bit system)

maybe you should send an email to the mobo manufacter (gigabyte?)

Ok I have some interesting news to report.

I have found remap thing in my P5K bios. I disabled it. At boot, only 3gigs were found, however about this mac reports 4gb.

I haven't started playing with DS3R yet. I think 'll try to disable jMicron and run some tests. I also updated the Boot.plist with debug=0x100 so we'll know what's going on.

I'll report later on comrades, I have to go to a stupid class...