4GB of ram random crashes/freezes/kernel panics..

135 posts in this topic

I need some tool to do a stress on HDD I/O and Memory. I think HighLoad only does mem test. Bah I think it will be faster to write one than to find.

yes on bios boot you'll see only 3gb but mac will recognise 4set also the sata and jmicron to ahci and testit'll not crash
My jMicron is disabled, but I haven't deleted the kext.I also can't set mode to AHCI, P5K vanilla board does not have that option - only IDE.But it does look promising I must say. I'll report my tests here later. Any advices on stress testing?

Thanks again

try to copy a DVD with toast

it will crash at the half of reading

i tried to delete jmicronata.kext and i had kernel panic..

don't know why but i replaced again in order to boot

2 days now 24 hours online ..no crash :(

Nod. I'll try that.

Wow that's pretty good...

If this goes well 'll get rid of DS3R and will get P5K premium. I don't know.. I just don't like this vanilla P5K board.

Thanks again spanakorizo

is there an option for no memory remap on the GA P35 DS3x?

I solved my kernel panics by unplugging all IDE Hard drives.

However, I want my dual 250GB IDE HDDs more than I want my 2GB RAM, so until this problem is fully solved, maxmem it is!

is there an option for no memory remap on the GA P35 DS3x?

I solved my kernel panics by unplugging all IDE Hard drives.

However, I want my dual 250GB IDE HDDs more than I want my 2GB RAM, so until this problem is fully solved, maxmem it is!

I had panics even with no IDE (and no jMicron usage) and 2GB RAM on P5K. However, this seems to have solved my problem. 4GB and no panics now. Well, at least so far.

UP: Ok as I was reading this thread again I got a kernel panic :(

But it seems it's related to something else completely. Maybe it's indeed that I am running in IDE mode. Or maybe it's my memory modules.. although they worked fine in Vista for almost a year.

post-180326-1203198896_thumb.jpg

I just deleted the jmicron kext, deleted cache, repaired everything with kexthelper, removed maxmem from apple.boot.plist.....

After that the memtest with Highload ran through with no panics.....

So AHCI, no IDE drives and deleting the not working driver did the trick.

Happy hacking....

Jürgen

I just deleted the jmicron kext, deleted cache, repaired everything with kexthelper, removed maxmem from apple.boot.plist.....

After that the memtest with Highload ran through with no panics.....

So AHCI, no IDE drives and deleting the not working driver did the trick.

Happy hacking....

Jürgen

for me if you delete jmicron kext with kalyway's distro you'll get a kp in boot

This is funny, I have the same Sil OEM Raid Controller, which I am trying to get to work as a boot device....

It is a Dawicontrol branded controller, setting up a RAID is no problem, but I can´t get it to work as a boot device..

keep me posted...

I´m booting from raid0 with a dawicontrol 300e/sil3132 ;)

I'm confused, and need a summary. JMicron is a company that creates SATA and other controller chips. Maxmem limits the amount of RAM OSX will use. Deleting JMicron's kext can cause KPs. Disabling jmicron is not possible in Gigabyte's motherboard, but possible in ASUS BIOS, which then disables IDE.

"The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line." -Microsoft KB 929605. So disabling memory remapping limits you to ~3120mb of RAM.

Disabling IDE then disables non-SATA CDROM drives?

Does disabling JMicron have an effect on the amount of addressable memory? (eg. is having 4, 6, 8, etc gigabytes usable after disabling JMicron)

Do chipsets such as X38 have this issue, or is it limited to P35?

I'm confused, and need a summary. JMicron is a company that creates SATA and other controller chips. Maxmem limits the amount of RAM OSX will use. Deleting JMicron's kext can cause KPs. Disabling jmicron is not possible in Gigabyte's motherboard, but possible in ASUS BIOS, which then disables IDE.

"The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line." -Microsoft KB 929605. So disabling memory remapping limits you to ~3120mb of RAM.

Disabling IDE then disables non-SATA CDROM drives?

Does disabling JMicron have an effect on the amount of addressable memory? (eg. is having 4, 6, 8, etc gigabytes usable after disabling JMicron)

Do chipsets such as X38 have this issue, or is it limited to P35?

You can disable jMicron on Gigabyte boards. If you disable jMicron you lose IDE drives, because they are controlled by jMicron.

Your ICH9/ICH9R (depending on the manufacturer) can operate in different modes (IDE, AHCI or both). No disabling jMicron has no affect on memory. I think this issue is with any board that has ICH9/ICH9R, hence X38 too.

Truth is, we don't know if jMicron is causing KP. This is merely an educated guess. I deleted my jMicron kext and I am not getting KPs. It's also disabled in my DS3R BIOS.

Hope this helps.

You can disable jMicron on Gigabyte boards. If you disable jMicron you lose IDE drives, because they are controlled by jMicron.

Your ICH9/ICH9R (depending on the manufacturer) can operate in different modes (IDE, AHCI or both). No disabling jMicron has no affect on memory. I think this issue is with any board that has ICH9/ICH9R, hence X38 too.

Truth is, we don't know if jMicron is causing KP. This is merely an educated guess. I deleted my jMicron kext and I am not getting KPs. It's also disabled in my DS3R BIOS.

Hope this helps.

where do you disable it on your gigabyte board? I cant find it...

You can disable it in bios, same page where you set your drives to AHCI. But I think that you dont have to disable it. I recently upgraded my RAM to 6 GB and just deleted the kext, I have a timemachine SATA drive connected to the Jmicron set to AHCI working fine.No more panics since deleting the jmicron.kext.Here is the bios page...It is the onboard IDE controller

post-145291-1203403276_thumb.jpeg

The other day I downloaded and installed macnub's AppleSMBIOS kext, and a few things changed: now, in system profiler, when I click on ATA it shows my two PATA hard drives (controlled by JMicron). Also, in extensions, the jmicron kext is loaded; previously it would not. I still get kernel panics when trying to move large amounts of data, (only in terminal. when I do it using the gui, I get an error like, "This operation cannot be completed because the file <filename> already exists").

I'll try removing the kext and report back!

I'm still really confused.

Basically there's no way to use 4GB of RAM on OSX86 without sacrificing SATA or IDE?

Is there a motherboard that avoids this issue alltogether....been trying to build a computer but seems every day I have to scratch another recommended part off my list because something else sucks about it in OSX86.

Hi, there is a solution for the problem of 4gb, see this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335 , i delete my viaata kext and replace the ioata kext that you can find in that thread, now with p5k i can use 4gb without kernel panic (test with hight load software)!!!

p.s sorry for my english

When i did this, i lost my IDE port. :/ Which sucks, cause i need that.

any ideas?