Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

@zitounec: no i never installed the powermanagement bundle on my 630 and if i remember right i would sometimes have a battery meter and sometimes not. i usually kept mine plugged into power here at work so never messed with it. sorry.

Finally I've applied the sleepfix.zip given by roneil04 in post #1 to (AppleSMBIOS.kext+AppleACPIPlatform.kext)

Now the battery meter works.

...but Impossible to open the keyboard prefpane in system preferences if I'm not logged as root...

tried to switch disk to ahci, tried to enable cpu Xbit and TPM, the installation not start.possible a A09 Bios Related issue?not bios related, tried to flash A07, same result, tried to disable multicore support, same result.

tried to switch disk to ahci, tried to enable cpu Xbit and TPM, the installation not start.possible a A09 Bios Related issue?not bios related, tried to flash A07, same result, tried to disable multicore support, same result.

You shouldn't need to use iATKOS 2.0 unless something is wrong with your current system that iATKOS 2.0 will fix. For our systems though, I don't think any new support has been added.

Total noob here:

I'm trying to Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on a Lat D630. I've search and searched and searched for an answer to this, and I keep seeing people saying "SEARCH YOU MORON IT'S BEEN ANSWERED A HUNDRED BAZZILION TIMES YOUR STUPID!!!" But doing over 100 searches, and I haven't found anybody who has anything constructive to say about this issue. Please help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Surely if this issue has been addressed a hundred bazzilion times, it should be easy for someone to find the answer?

This issue:

- Booting from the DVD to do the initial install

- Hard Drive has been wiped

- Using a normal Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD. Have tried re-burning it 16 times, using 7 different programs (no change). The disc boots further (into language options) on a buddy's Acer laptop.

- Have tried different boot options (-v, -f-v, -x, -x-v, -s, -s-x-v, -s-v-x-f.......etc)

EVERY TIME IT BOOTS UP TO THE SAME LINE:

------------------------------------------------------------------

MAC Framework sucessfully insitialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

[] <solid white block

------------------------------------------------------------------

Then it freezes. Every.single.time.

Please please please throw me a bone here, I've avoided posting for 4 days, but I can't lurk fruitlessly forever.

@FruitbadNT:

your question has been asked a few times in this very thread.

answer: download iATKOS v1.0 and use that.

there will be some MBR issues but also in this thread is a way to fix it via Ultimate boot cd.

read this whole thread and you'll be running in no time.

anyone have the x3100 working on 10.5.2 graphic update?

I only tried it once and it didn't work. I should spend some time on it, but I just haven't gotten around to it. School has been really busy...

Hi guys,

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my Dell D830 laptop. I want to share some installing thoughts:

Partition 1: NTFS with Windows XP

Partition 2: FAT32 before installing MacOs --> HFS+ during installation

Partition 3: NTFS

Why am I saying the above?

I tried booting from 3 versions of installation DVD's (ToH's, Kalyway 10.5.1, Leo4all 10.5.2) with my partition 2 formatted as NTFS and no one booted.

I always got some failure, tried everything in bios, but nothing worked.

Afterwards, I formatted Partition 2 as Fat32 and voila, DVD booted perfectly and I installed Leo.

Meanwhile I installed all updates and a lot of programmes and everything works perfectly, except the Lan connection.

Wireless internet works great ...

grtz,

AntarcticP

Hi guys,I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my Dell D830 laptop. I want to share some installing thoughts:Partition 1: NTFS with Windows XPPartition 2: FAT32 before installing MacOs --> HFS+ during installationPartition 3: NTFSWhy am I saying the above?I tried booting from 3 versions of installation DVD's (ToH's, Kalyway 10.5.1, Leo4all 10.5.2) with my partition 2 formatted as NTFS and no one booted.I always got some failure, tried everything in bios, but nothing worked.Afterwards, I formatted Partition 2 as Fat32 and voila, DVD booted perfectly and I installed Leo.Meanwhile I installed all updates and a lot of programmes and everything works perfectly, except the Lan connection.Wireless internet works great ...grtz,AntarcticP
I have a D830 as well, but I have not been able to get my video working, after many attempts and many different configurations. How were you able to get your video working and what CD did you finally use for your installation?Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated!!
@bankbang: no i don't have my broadcom 57xx working. there's a couple threads on here working on it but i could never get it to set my MAC address. in google type "broadcom 57xx site:insanelymac.com" and you can read about the progress@zitounec: no i never installed the powermanagement bundle on my 630 and if i remember right i would sometimes have a battery meter and sometimes not. i usually kept mine plugged into power here at work so never messed with it. sorry.@summoner: i think the same files should work for the 830 as they do for the 630 for the gfx sleep. but a handful of us have posted that the video zip file in the 1st post doesnt work (the sleep.app scripts do - you'll need those) but check a few posts back for a link I posted and try those files. post #184"and i use roneil4's sleep script to start at auto login and use kexthelper to install everything but the com.apple.Boot.plist from that GMAX3100-Dell_D630 zip. (install the natit.kext too). i now have 1280x800 CI/QE"http://rapidshare.com/files/77986455/GMAX3...l_D630.zip.html
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I was not able to get any of them to work properly. What seemed to be happening was that the screen would never wake after the login. I could remove the .kexts and boot in VESA just fine and everything would work great until I loaded the new .kexts for the graphics and then I would see nothing when the system rebooted. I verified MANY times that the sleep script was installed and working properly and even setup a hot corner to sleep and wake the screen and nothing seemed to help.

I'm running the iATKOS 1.0ir2 install. Installation went smooth. I selected ONLY iATKOS and ALL the EFI stuff (vanilla kernel and vanilla ACPI). That selection should get you going with a running (networked) D830.

D830 with Dell 1390 wireless (had the intel 4965AGN before)

Quadro NVS 140 M (previously running on 10.5.2 graphic kexts and NVinjectGo 0.2.0c but now I'm running on a gfx string in com.apple.Boot.plist without the need for the NVinject kexts)

Sound works thanks to this topic starter

bluetooth works out of the box

DVD burner works out of the box

battery meter works with new powermanagement bundle and Powersource.kext plugin

sleep/shutdown/reboot does not work. Sleep just doesn't work at all. Shutdown/reboot worked before I messed with the NVinject or gfx util string to get met graphics supported. I suspect it is related to the NVCAP settings.

I have a dual boot setup (MBR based partition table) with Windows XP. I used iATKOS EFI to install, but replaced that afterwards with Netkas' EFI to get gfx strings to work. Dual boot and EFI is no problem, as long as you make the OS X partition the active one before you start the installation. A boot loader is installed automatically, you can still select Windows XP from there. Windows XP doesn't support SATA AHCI out of the box. You either need to reinstall Windows XP and load the AHCI drivers during XP installation or you can follow a trick I found on the dell user forum about SATA AHCI and installing those drivers with XP already installed. I tried that method, it worked fine for me. I've got both Leopard and XP running with AHCI (it is faster!)

I don't care much for my gigabit broadcom, but sleep/shutdown/reboot would be nice. But I'd prefer the vanilla kernel (stability) over that.

Could you please post the nvidia drivers you have loaded, I really can't get my 140 to get full support. Please help!

I have a D830 as well, but I have not been able to get my video working, after many attempts and many different configurations. How were you able to get your video working and what CD did you finally use for your installation?Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated!!Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I was not able to get any of them to work properly. What seemed to be happening was that the screen would never wake after the login. I could remove the .kexts and boot in VESA just fine and everything would work great until I loaded the new .kexts for the graphics and then I would see nothing when the system rebooted. I verified MANY times that the sleep script was installed and working properly and even setup a hot corner to sleep and wake the screen and nothing seemed to help.

Did you set login to automatic?

For the guy with the 630 or 830 who couldn't get past that "Vector:" bit after the "only one style." message...

Start 10.5.2 Kalyway DVD up

Wait for it to hit this line.

Go to sleep (You, not the computer).

Wake up and it will be at the Language Screen.

Thats what happens with my M6300. I have to leave the house for a couple hours in order for it to boot the DVD. I'm not kidding. This has worked twice now.

Good Luck!

-Adam

Absolutely, I confirmed this by removing the .kexts with the -s option at boot and the system would login and run the sleep script each time.

You could try installing the kexts from lithium's post. It was earlier in this thread. Some people were having trouble with the kexts I posted.

My Laptop is D630, with iATKOS 1.0r2 installed. Everyone said it will automatically recongnize the wireless card 1390, but as I saw in MacOS, it doesn't. Airport can't be turned on. What happened? Do I need to select some drivers during the installation?

Thanks.

My Laptop is D630, with iATKOS 1.0r2 installed. Everyone said it will automatically recongnize the wireless card 1390, but as I saw in MacOS, it doesn't. Airport can't be turned on. What happened? Do I need to select some drivers during the installation?

Thanks.

Go Here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=44114

This describes how you can get some wireless cards to work. I needed to do this with my e1505, but for some reason my d630 didn't require this. Before you do all of the steps, do only the steps after 11. If your airport doesn't work after that, try doing all of the steps. What wireless card do you have?

So my issues is an interesting one....

I have been fighting with these graphics kext for so long now and still haven't succesfully gotten a fully working QE/CI with GMAX3100 (Dell Latitude D630).

Running Leopard 10.5.2, EFI v8 with 9.2.2 Vanilla Kernel (I also tried with 9.2.0 Sleep kernel and same results) Dell Bios v A10 and used Leo4all. Kalyway 10.5.2 had same results as FruitbatNT experienced where it wouldn't get past ACPI.

1) Tried Kalyway GMAX3100 package which gave me Resolution changes, no QE/CI. This package installed AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, Natit.kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

2) Tried Roneil4's guide with GMAX3100 graphics (which doesn't include Natit.kext) and it won't boot into the internal display. I am able to get it on an external display (with QE/CI), but.... here is the weird thing.... My top bar looks a little weird. The Apple symbol in the left hand corner is white, and if I click anywhere on the top bar, i get a spinning Wheel, which later causes the computer to freeze, or everything starts tearing. Also the Dock is missing the Grey "stand" which all the icon's go ontop, it turns black and is transparent.

3) Tried errandwolfe kext with Roneil4's sleep App, and I am able to get the internal display to work now, but I will have the same issue with the top bar. In both 2 & 3 i checked the Graphics properties in Sys info, and it shows that QE/CI is supported, and hardware accelerated. I wanted to test to see if in fact QE/CI were working properly, and i figured it wouldn't. Tested out the RSS screen saver, and it looked really funky. Dock is the same as #2.

Can someone help me with this issue? I don't understand what could be causing this. I as well tried the Leopard graphics update 1.0, which caused a grey/pink color bar effect (hence that is why i suppose people mentioned not to install that package).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For now i am going to revert back to Kalyway's GMAX3100 package until i can get QE/CI working properly.

Go Here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=44114

This describes how you can get some wireless cards to work. I needed to do this with my e1505, but for some reason my d630 didn't require this. Before you do all of the steps, do only the steps after 11. If your airport doesn't work after that, try doing all of the steps. What wireless card do you have?

Thanks very much ~~~

I have done, it works :~)

I know what happens. Maybe your wireless card has proper pci id in AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext-> Info.plist already, so after installation it can auto-reconize your wireless card. But mine is Dell 1390 mini wireless card, which internally a BCM4310 USB Controller, pci id is 4315, so I have to manually add this line. For NetworkInterfaces.plist, I don't need to do anything, the article in your above link says to edit en0 to en1, but in my NetworkInterfaces.plist, it has recognized my wireless card as en1, since it contains 80211 information in that section, while en0 as my cable network card (BCM5755, doesn't work, any idea? ).

Anyway, it works, I am so happy.

For the display, I can't set to 1280x1024, only 1024 resolution. Although I follow your instructions in the first of this thread, my laptop can't enter macos, stopping black screen. I have to remove all AppleIntelGMAX3100 then macos is ok. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

So my issues is an interesting one....

I have been fighting with these graphics kext for so long now and still haven't succesfully gotten a fully working QE/CI with GMAX3100 (Dell Latitude D630).

Running Leopard 10.5.2, EFI v8 with 9.2.2 Vanilla Kernel (I also tried with 9.2.0 Sleep kernel and same results) Dell Bios v A10 and used Leo4all. Kalyway 10.5.2 had same results as FruitbatNT experienced where it wouldn't get past ACPI.

1) Tried Kalyway GMAX3100 package which gave me Resolution changes, no QE/CI. This package installed AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, Natit.kext & AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

2) Tried Roneil4's guide with GMAX3100 graphics (which doesn't include Natit.kext) and it won't boot into the internal display. I am able to get it on an external display (with QE/CI), but.... here is the weird thing.... My top bar looks a little weird. The Apple symbol in the left hand corner is white, and if I click anywhere on the top bar, i get a spinning Wheel, which later causes the computer to freeze, or everything starts tearing. Also the Dock is missing the Grey "stand" which all the icon's go ontop, it turns black and is transparent.

3) Tried errandwolfe kext with Roneil4's sleep App, and I am able to get the internal display to work now, but I will have the same issue with the top bar. In both 2 & 3 i checked the Graphics properties in Sys info, and it shows that QE/CI is supported, and hardware accelerated. I wanted to test to see if in fact QE/CI were working properly, and i figured it wouldn't. Tested out the RSS screen saver, and it looked really funky. Dock is the same as #2.

Can someone help me with this issue? I don't understand what could be causing this. I as well tried the Leopard graphics update 1.0, which caused a grey/pink color bar effect (hence that is why i suppose people mentioned not to install that package).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For now i am going to revert back to Kalyway's GMAX3100 package until i can get QE/CI working properly.

If you install the leopard graphics update, then try to install the old gma kexts, things don't work correctly. The things you described in your second point are the exact things I experienced after doing leopard graphics update, then reinstalling old kexts. The only way you can get graphics running now is to reinstall os x (w/o gma options in the installer), and then follow the steps in the first post for enabling QE/CI on the gmax3100. The most important thing to remember is, DO NOT INSTALL LEOPARD GRAPHICS UPDATE W/ THE GMAX3100.

Thanks very much ~~~

I have done, it works :~)

I know what happens. Maybe your wireless card has proper pci id in AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext-> Info.plist already, so after installation it can auto-reconize your wireless card. But mine is Dell 1390 mini wireless card, which internally a BCM4310 USB Controller, pci id is 4315, so I have to manually add this line. For NetworkInterfaces.plist, I don't need to do anything, the article in your above link says to edit en0 to en1, but in my NetworkInterfaces.plist, it has recognized my wireless card as en1, since it contains 80211 information in that section, while en0 as my cable network card (BCM5755, doesn't work, any idea? ).

Anyway, it works, I am so happy.

For the display, I can't set to 1280x1024, only 1024 resolution. Although I follow your instructions in the first of this thread, my laptop can't enter macos, stopping black screen. I have to remove all AppleIntelGMAX3100 then macos is ok. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

It's funny that the same wireless card has different chipsets. Try the files lithium talked about (and linked to) earlier in this thread. Some people have trouble with the GMA files I posted, but his seem to work.

I tried it with update1.0 and it worked graphics fully functional

I was using a Latitude D530. i just installed the leopardGraphicUpdate1.0.pkg from their site and after i reboot it shows a black screen and my hdd led was on all the time so i restarted again and it worked and still is