California Man Faces Life Sentence in Prison for Stealing a Pack of .50$ Donuts

sh0td0wn

18 posts in this topic

I suppose we are all going to ignore the two other felonies that he committed? Because it was mostly those that landed him in jail, not the donuts.

It is a little overboard, I will admit that. However, if you think its rediculous, then your gripe is with the (legal) definition of "felony", not the three strikes law.

The three strikes law is not the issue here.

"Record too large for transmission"

This really isn't over JUST a package of doughnuts... I found the comments by Kerns City District Attorney interesting. Going on this short blurb alone, it sounds reasonable to me. Still, I think this should be reviewed to make sure justice really is served. Such an opinion should be made on more than what can comfortably fit in a quick new cast.

Not sure what's worse here. The injustice displayed, or the ears of Paul Ramirez (Reporter from video). Jesus Christ I went from feeling bad for the victim to laughing out loud. :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah I'm confused as to how this constitutes a felony. I thought the monetary value had to exceed $2500 for it to be a felony?! Say what you want about the third strike, I'm more concerned about the fact that failing to pay $0.50 for a pack of donuts is a felony.

Thank God I don't live in that crummy state!

Maybe this should be mentioned in the first post, but he did commit two other actual crimes before this. It's kind of like if they find out that they have a warrant out for an arrest of a man, and they know where he lives, they aren't going to wait until he does something, they are going to go out and arrest him. I guess the police found the right guy at the right time.

Oh there's no doubt the guy's a scumbag, but "preemptive justice" is a pretty scary idea when you think about it. What I'm saying is this: ignore the guy in the story, think beyond that, imagine it's a first time offender, he's now a felon for stealing fifty cents worth of merchandise. That's pretty scary too.

Oh there's no doubt the guy's a scumbag, but "preemptive justice" is a pretty scary idea when you think about it. What I'm saying is this: ignore the guy in the story, think beyond that, imagine it's a first time offender, he's now a felon for stealing fifty cents worth of merchandise. That's pretty scary too.

But you wouldn't be... the only reason that man is sentenced to life in prison is because he committed two other crimes. If you were perfect your whole life, and you stole said doughnuts, you would probably pay a fine of a few dollars.