Retail DVD Guide, 10.5.8, PC-EFIv9 installer, EFI studio, Vanilla or Voodoo, GA-P35-DS3P (L,R), DS4, or OS X Compatible board

LTL

909 posts in this topic

99% perfect install with Kalyway 10.5.2 and my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. Everything just... works.

Xeon 3350, 8 GB Gskill ram. 3 Hard drive (1 640gb for OS/Apps/Documents), and 2 WD 1 TB drives in raid for my big music collection. Geforce 8800GTX, Antec Sonata 3. Sleep, shutdown, restart ok.

First time I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 I got no sound, On subsequent reinstalls the sound was enabled (?) Unsure of how, but I'm not complaining :hysterical:

Only thing I can't get working is Time Machine. I enabled the Kalyway "Time Machine Fix" but I get a "Disk not found error" when trying to backup. I have AHCI enabled, Jmicron disabled.

Any hints on how to fix this?

THANKS for this guide!

I think this might help the last couple of posters so I am going to go through the process by which I got my what so far seems to be 100% functional install.

I followed the advanced guide and used the install scripts.

1. Partition and Format

2. Apply pre-patch script

3. Install Retail DVD 10.5.1

4. Install 10.5.2 Combo Updater

5. Install Leopard Graphics Update

6. Run Post-Install Script v2.

a. Commented out natit and alcinject lines

b. Used default kernel used in the script

c. Created my own apple.com.boot.plist that had EFI strings for my network card and 8800GT following EFI tutorial linked to in the first page and the gatorv8se plist posted in this thread, used this in the install script.

d. followed another posters comment and changed the last step of the script to add an f ""sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext" I used a -rf instead and it worked otherwise it didn't. ""

7. Do a reboot from terminal window

8. Unplug HDD from Macbook pro after rebot and place into my hack.

9. First boot, flying through space!

10. Apply HDA Patch according to install instructions

11. To solve my time machine issues I downloaded the patch from here and applied it: http://sneosx86.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...ension-fix.html

12. Remember to repair permissions after applying this patch.

13. Install everything from Apple Software Update

14. Time Machine Update Breaks Shutdown -- Replace Kernal back to Netkas kernal using Terminal after the last reboot from Apple Update.

15. Repair Permissions and Sudo Reboot

DONE!

Sleep, Reboot, Shutdown all working (sleep can only be awakened from the power button)

I can post my plist if anyone needs after I get home again with access to it.

You should not to use any injectors following LTL's guide and this method if you are using an 8800GT card. Just EFI strings.

I cleaned up the scripts a lot because honestly LTL, they're a mess and I don't know if they even work because when you use cp -R, you have to put the name of the file you're copying in the destination.

I also took out the constant of $DESTINATION and just made it Macintosh to make it a little more fool proof. I made it geared toward the DS3L with AHCI devices. PM me if you want it because apparently I can't upload files :-/

Surfergeek

Thanks for taking the time to post your procedure.

If I had applied the leopard graphics update before my first boot into the retail install perhaps I would not have received the kernel panic? I used the stock post patch with the addition of the gatorv8se. I did not add anything to the the gatorv8se plist. I just re named it to replace the com.apple.plist. What did you add to it?

I see that you use the trendnet card. I was wondering if you had to set a static ip for it. Even in Kalyway I tend to loose my connection after sleep.

Now I appear to be able to sleep and shut down from the apple menu. I am not sure what is different but it is a welcome development. Fore sure my cordless mouse was causing an instant wake from sleep. I am wondering what the correct settings should be in BIOS for sleep. I am using s1 sleep because somewhere someone suggested that was the right setting. I would love confirmation.

EDIT: I can sleep but I cant wake up, not even with the power button.

For the record the scripts provided by LTL worked for me. I would have been lost without them.

Thanks

Gahhhh, my USB ports aren't detected. This has never happened before, but it looks like sleep works because I left my computer on the account creation screen and it went to sleep and woke up. If I can get my damn USB ports to work I can create my account and get on with it. Any idea why they're not working? This has never happened before on any install.

My USB problem was solved by using cyclonefr's AHCI drivers but I screwed it up so I'm installing it again, trial and error right? :wacko:

Here is a pic of it running, I want to get it up to 10.5.2 and then I will start tinkering.

post-38870-1210372875_thumb.png

Gahhhh, my USB ports aren't detected. This has never happened before, but it looks like sleep works because I left my computer on the account creation screen and it went to sleep and woke up. If I can get my damn USB ports to work I can create my account and get on with it. Any idea why they're not working? This has never happened before on any install.

My system worked perfectly until I have decided to update it with Apple Software Update App.

Besides USB, Sleep may stop working as well.

I have reinstalled my system several times and I am absolutely sure that it is one of apple updates doing it.

Emilo,

I just re installed and paid close attention as I installed the updates from software update. The Time machine and Airport update is the problem. It must replace the Mach_kernel with the stock Vanilla kernel. I have not researched a solution yet. Perhaps someone else has figured this out?

EDIT: It appears as if the kernel included in the v2 install pack shows up in terminal as 9.2.0 (If I understand correctly this is the netkas sleep kernel) After the Time Machine And Airport Update it is replaced with Vanilla 9.2.2. Obviously this type of retail install can handle the vanilla 9.2.2 kernel but sleep, restart and shut down are effected. I am not sure how to proceed? I see in the options of Kalyway that a 9.2.2 netkas sleep kernel exists but i am not sure how to install just the kernel?

My USB problem was solved by using cyclonefr's AHCI drivers but I screwed it up so I'm installing it again, trial and error right? ;)

Here is a pic of it running, I want to get it up to 10.5.2 and then I will start tinkering.

Trial and Error?? HAHA! I think I lost count at 50+ times reinstalling Leopard. But eventually came up with a flawless procedure that works. I do know I hate that damn intro song from Apple now though.

Emilo,I just re installed and paid close attention as I installed the updates from software update. The Time machine and Airport update is the problem. It must replace the Mach_kernel with the stock Vanilla kernel. I have not researched a solution yet. Perhaps someone else has figured this out?

Just finished testing with the same conclusions.

I am complete noob to all of this. I can only submit my testing results, with hope that someone else will offer solution and post it in noob friendly form.

I have been reading OSX86 forum for weeks, hoping to put all pieces of this puzzle together and was getting nowhere.

Things changed when LTL posted his guide.

I have been able to do clean Leopard install without any problems.

It is awesome guide. He made it simple, complete and noob friendly

I cannot thank him enough for it.

All noobs in this forum owe him big.

Still working ...

In fact, I just woke my computer from sleep after it was sleeping for a number of days.

EDIT: Shutdown wasn't working as the posters ahead of me noted. I replaced my kernal using Terminal back to the Netkas kernel and sleep/shutdown/reboot are back and working again. (updated my procedure a few posts back to reflect this)

I can't recall who needed it, but I am including my com.apple.boot.plist here as I think it may have helped someone.

This is for an 8800GT 512MB and the Trendnet networking card.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Surfergeek,

Thanks for the update and the plist. I have suffered a bit of a hardware failure so I can not test at the moment. I have been reading up on various problems that i have had, including shutdown, sleep and reboot issues. Two questions remain

1- Are you using s1 or s3 sleep in your bios settings?

2- After running the post patch script it is clear that MACH_KERNEL is installed at the highest level of the hard drive. After the TM update it is gone. Does this mean that the Vanilla kernel resides elsewhere? When replacing the Vanilla and returning to the one that LTL included in the post patch, after the TM update, did you copy it to the highest level of the hard drive, apply ownership and restart (all of this with terminal)? Notice that my theoretical procedure does not include re naming or moving the Vanilla kernel as i don't know where it is? Perhaps just installing the modified kernel at the highest level of the HD is all that is needed.

Thanks as always to all who have contributed to this guide

I'm back from Vacation... so I will do my best to get caught up on support guys. If I can be of help to anyone, please let me know. I just read a lot of the posts and will do my best to get caught up.

I cleaned up the scripts a lot because honestly LTL, they're a mess and I don't know if they even work because when you use cp -R, you have to put the name of the file you're copying in the destination.I also took out the constant of $DESTINATION and just made it Macintosh to make it a little more fool proof. I made it geared toward the DS3L with AHCI devices. PM me if you want it because apparently I can't upload files :-/
No offense, but the scripts work perfectly for hundreds of people who have PM'd me. The bottom line is that they are there to customized. Please go ahead and customize them for your install, post your copies and results. I have a custom version of my script that I personally use and its milky perfect. I can do an install ... 100% working in 15 minutes or less.
I am happy to report my first successful retail install!I replaced the com.apple.boot.plist with the version included in v2 and I was able to install and boot successfully!Then I installed nvinjectNext I installed everything from software update (10 items)I am just beginning to test the system so I am sure that I will be asking for help if I have problems that i cant solve.As of now the only issue that I have discovered is that sleep and restart from the Apple menu are not working. I thought that the post-patch script installed Mach_Kernel at volumes/$destination/ but I don't see it. Does this mean that it was not installed (or that one of the items in software update removed it?) and i am running the vanilla kernel thus accounting for my sleep and restart issues?LTL- I am very excited about the retail install as it just feels right.Many thanks
The Kernel is hidden within FINDER.. thats so noobs can't mess up there system. By default, the scripts leave the vanilla kernel in place..but you can mod the script to install the kernel you prefer. I like the sleep one personally as I have mentioned previously Let me know..
My system worked perfectly until I have decided to update it with Apple Software Update App.Besides USB, Sleep may stop working as well.I have reinstalled my system several times and I am absolutely sure that it is one of apple updates doing it.
Be careful with updates... lesson learned
Emilo,I just re installed and paid close attention as I installed the updates from software update. The Time machine and Airport update is the problem. It must replace the Mach_kernel with the stock Vanilla kernel. I have not researched a solution yet. Perhaps someone else has figured this out?EDIT: It appears as if the kernel included in the v2 install pack shows up in terminal as 9.2.0 (If I understand correctly this is the netkas sleep kernel) After the Time Machine And Airport Update it is replaced with Vanilla 9.2.2. Obviously this type of retail install can handle the vanilla 9.2.2 kernel but sleep, restart and shut down are effected. I am not sure how to proceed? I see in the options of Kalyway that a 9.2.2 netkas sleep kernel exists but i am not sure how to install just the kernel?
I am not installing that Time Machine and Airport update... its going to sit and spin along with the XT update...
Just finished testing with the same conclusions.I am complete noob to all of this. I can only submit my testing results, with hope that someone else will offer solution and post it in noob friendly form.I have been reading OSX86 forum for weeks, hoping to put all pieces of this puzzle together and was getting nowhere.Things changed when LTL posted his guide.I have been able to do clean Leopard install without any problems.It is awesome guide. He made it simple, complete and noob friendlyI cannot thank him enough for it.All noobs in this forum owe him big.
Glad to hear someone knows what they are doing and read the small print! GOOD JOB!!!
Still working ... In fact, I just woke my computer from sleep after it was sleeping for a number of days. EDIT: Shutdown wasn't working as the posters ahead of me noted. I replaced my kernal using Terminal back to the Netkas kernel and sleep/shutdown/reboot are back and working again. (updated my procedure a few posts back to reflect this)I can't recall who needed it, but I am including my com.apple.boot.plist here as I think it may have helped someone. This is for an 8800GT 512MB and the Trendnet networking card.
That trendnet card RAWKSSSSSS

Surfergeek,

Thanks for the update and the plist. I have suffered a bit of a hardware failure so I can not test at the moment. I have been reading up on various problems that i have had, including shutdown, sleep and reboot issues. Two questions remain

1- Are you using s1 or s3 sleep in your bios settings?

2- After running the post patch script it is clear that MACH_KERNEL is installed at the highest level of the hard drive. After the TM update it is gone. Does this mean that the Vanilla kernel resides elsewhere? When replacing the Vanilla and returning to the one that LTL included in the post patch, after the TM update, did you copy it to the highest level of the hard drive, apply ownership and restart (all of this with terminal)? Notice that my theoretical procedure does not include re naming or moving the Vanilla kernel as i don't know where it is? Perhaps just installing the modified kernel at the highest level of the HD is all that is needed.

Thanks as always to all who have contributed to this guide

1. I am using s3 sleep in my bios settings.

2. To replace the kernel, I went into terminal and entered the commands from the install script. Using the netkas sleep kernel provided with the v2 install pack.

After some trials and errors with Kalyway 10.5.1 (which is great btw.) i installed Leo according to your guide. That was 2 months ago i guess.

In the meantime i installed another gfx-card (GeForce 8800GT instead of the ATI HD3850) by using EFI strings for gfx, audio and lan (see my sig for specs).

I also installed the Timemachine and Airport update and while restart and shutdown are not working properly S3 sleep is working great with the 9.2.2 vanilla kernel.

To sum it up, i don't think there is a risk in installing the timemachine update when you decide to run an all vanilla system (except for some drivers... :D).

Btw., i adapted the initials scripts to suit my needs for my mainboard and to reflect the EFI strings i have now in my com.Apple.boot.plist file.

After some trials and errors with Kalyway 10.5.1 (which is great btw.) i installed Leo according to your guide. That was 2 months ago i guess.

In the meantime i installed another gfx-card (GeForce 8800GT instead of the ATI HD3850) by using EFI strings for gfx, audio and lan (see my sig for specs).

I also installed the Timemachine and Airport update and while restart and shutdown are not working properly S3 sleep is working great with the 9.2.2 vanilla kernel.

To sum it up, i don't think there is a risk in installing the timemachine update when you decide to run an all vanilla system (except for some drivers... :)).

Btw., i adapted the initials scripts to suit my needs for my mainboard and to reflect the EFI strings i have now in my com.Apple.boot.plist file.

can you upload your com.apple.boot.plist

I've installed the IDE to SATA converter I bought a few weeks ago, removed the JMicron extension and everything is stable now. I also haven't installed the TM and Airport update yet. I want to test it on another leopard partition first, but can't figure out how to restore it. I have a restore image for my test partition of leopard but I can't get it to boot.

Sleep works now too. When I installed Vista on my 2nd hard drive I discovered sleep didn't work there either, so it must've been a bios problem. It seems I forgot to update my bios. dry.gif I thought I had, but must've got distracted. I updated from F1 to F3 (for GA-EP35-DS4) and sleep works now.

On another note Vista won't install with the IDE to SATA converter installed, or with my mac hard drive connected. It said that the dvd drive it is currently booting from doesn't exist, or something similar. I had to reconnect the IDE cable and unplug my first hard drive before it would install. I also installed Ubuntu, but grub corrupted everything on that hard drive so I just erased everything (which is why I am trying to restore that 2nd leopard partition). Still trying to get tri-boot working on that hd.

I also bought another hard drive to backup my main hard drive with time machine (haven't tried it yet). I don't want to go through the effort yet until I figure out how to restore.

On a final note, I hate Vista wallbash.gif

Figured out the problem with the restore. You can't boot from a partition when the first partition is empty. I was installing Leopard on the 2nd partition. Also got time machine working. The package that was posted in the first post didn't work so I used EFI strings and TM is backing us as I type this.

I tried the updated v2 on my test partition and in the Apple System Profiler I get an error message under the memory category. I think I'll hold off on this on my main drive. Also The Airport and TM update screwed up restart, so I won't update that one right now either.

Can anyone tell me how I can get my 8800GTS 320MB to work consistently and with what drivers/installation pack? I have done it so many times but everytime the video eventually fails and I end up booting to a black screen. This especially happens after I install the Leopard Graphics Update but honestly, it's so inconsistent, I don't know where it happens anymore and what is causing it. Please help.

I have done many things for this community, helped a lot of people with their installs and I would like to get the favor returned, thanks.

iSkylla, definitely try to get ur 8800GTS working by using EFI strings after the Leopard Graphics Update.

I just added an 8800GT to my system, while keeping the 7300GT i had in there as well (moved it to the 4xPCIe slot ofc) :D

First it booted to a black screen, but after i put a new EFI string and fixed the PciRoot values, im now running 2 gpu's!

Now i need more tft panels so i can drive 4 displays at once! :)

Tested running 3 displays by connecting an old CRT, but it works perfectly!

3_display.png

info2.png

Okay I will try that I guess. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the OGL framwork but I will try that anyways. Question, do you install OpenGL framework at all during your install? I mean, do you use the NVinject .41 installer that has the 10.5.2 video kexts in it anywhere in the install? Or do you just install retail, update everything 10.5.2, 9.2.2 kernel, Leopard graphics update and then just put in your string.

Okay I will try that I guess. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the OGL framwork but I will try that anyways. Question, do you install OpenGL framework at all during your install? I mean, do you use the NVinject .41 installer that has the 10.5.2 video kexts in it anywhere in the install? Or do you just install retail, update everything 10.5.2, 9.2.2 kernel, Leopard graphics update and then just put in your string.

I always install retail 10.5.0> update everything > put EFI strings for my 2 gpu's (so no NVInject or other kexts are needed), one for audio (so no ALCInject is needed), and one for ethernet (to fix Time Machine).

I always install retail 10.5.0> update everything > put EFI strings for my 2 gpu's (so no NVInject or other kexts are needed), one for audio (so no ALCInject is needed), and one for ethernet (to fix Time Machine).

Okay, thanks I will try that. Just to clarify, you do not use any installer to install 10.5.2 video kexts, correct?

Okay, thanks I will try that. Just to clarify, you do not use any installer to install 10.5.2 video kexts, correct?

Thats correct. I try to use as few modified/hacked kexts as possible to achieve 99% vanilla install ;)

With just the Leopard Graphics Update and some EFI strings you should be alright!