10.5.2 Not Out Yet, But it Fixes 130+ Bugs

Numberzz

90 posts in this topic

They're getting there, very slowly. Apple just keeps seeding new builds to developers, even though the previous ones don't have any known bugs. But it seems that Apple wants to get it right with this update, and they are certainly going to try. The latest seed of 10.5.2, 9C27, swells even more and fixes more than 130 bugs.

Other than bug fixes, we can expect List View in Stacks, support for Remote Disk and Time Capsule.

picture1vb8.png

I'd rather they take their time and get it right than rush it with bugs.

And OMG to "This will take 1.2 GB of space on your computer.". That's like another whole OS size. Some of my OS X installations are <2 GB which is pretty close to this :unsure:

EDIT: Damn you socal swimmer, you beat me to it even though I was the first one here :angel:

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. A lot of stuff refers to taking up vast amounts of space, however it is just for decompression and compression and really doesn't use all of that space but during the install procedure.

They're getting there, very slowly. Apple just keeps seeding new builds to developers, even though the previous ones don't have any known bugs.

Actually, the previous seeds did/do have bugs. Some of which are/were rather serious and others were even introduced in new builds.

Bear in mind that Apple uses the .2 update as their most extensive issue resolving and stability update. This is unlike the .1 update which is used to address the most serious of issues in the shortest time possible. We do all want Apple to get things right don't we? :)

Actually, the previous seeds did/do have bugs. Some of which are/were rather serious and others were even introduced in new builds.

Bear in mind that Apple uses the .2 update as their most extensive issue resolving and stability update. This is unlike the .1 update which is used to address the most serious of issues in the shortest time possible. We do all want Apple to get things right don't we? :)

Actually, 9C23(or whatever the previous seed was) didn't have any known bugs. Nor does this one.

I think it's good that 10.5.2 will fix so many issues, but still I think that shows clearly that Leopard wasn't a finished/final product when it was released - I guess Apple just released it earlier because they set themselves under pressure with the release date (end of October 2007).

^^ ditto on that, Cyman. 130+ bugs is a lot. Personally, I just hope they get Safari's DOM engine to run better. As of now, stuff like google maps, gmail, etc. are pretty crippled (hope that's not just me though). Oh, and I guess the new graphics updates will be nice too :)

Also, I can't help but notice that everyone commenting in this thread is an Intel user. Are you guys expecting little-to-no patching when the update drops? I don't think us AMD users are going to be so lucky, even with Marvin's utility and EFI :( Anyone care to comment?

I think it's good that 10.5.2 will fix so many issues, but still I think that shows clearly that Leopard wasn't a finished/final product when it was released - I guess Apple just released it earlier because they set themselves under pressure with the release date (end of October 2007).

I'm sorry but i disagree with that statement completely. What os does not update their OS? IT Would be un loyal like and unprofessional to not update their software daily. Sir i beleive you use Windows or Microsoft products. Just because they does not say their arent bugs. Does not mean they arent exploitable to a extent of any customer knowledge that's a big problem with closed source software really.

Fixing bugs means they are perfected their products. All software has bugs if it has a lot of code. Nothing is bug less . Never let any company tell you otherwise. Software always needs to be updated because software is always changing into greater, stronger sources and technologies. Mainly Operating systems and Security and compatibility.

I'm sorry but i disagree with that statement completely. What os does not update their OS? IT Would be un loyal like and unprofessional to not update their software daily. Sir i beleive you use Windows or Microsoft products. Just because they does not say their arent bugs. Does not mean they arent exploitable to a extent of any customer knowledge that's a big problem with closed source software really.

Fixing bugs means they are perfected their products. All software has bugs if it has a lot of code. Nothing is bug less . Never let any company tell you otherwise. Software always needs to be updated because software is always changing into greater, stronger sources and technologies. Mainly Operating systems and Security and compatibility.

Excuse me, did you have a look on my signature? I am a Mac user! Of course it is normal that a OS keeps being patched constantly, I am not naive, I have been using Windows for over twelve years until I switched to Apple. I would have done so years before, if I had had the money to afford a Mac. Anyway, it is the pure size of the upcoming 10.5.2 update and the great number of bugfixes which makes me conclude that Leopard was an unfinished product when it was released!

If I may defend Cyman's statement, I think all he was trying to say was that Apple should have waited a bit longer before jumping the gun and releasing Leopard when they did. It's obvious that any piece of software is going to have bugs - but sometimes there are small bugs, and sometimes there are big bugs. Leopard clearly has some big bugs, and not only that, but it has many bugs. If you don't believe that, then remember that they are fixing 130+ of them in 10.5.2, and that's after the release of 10.5.1. That means that 10.5 started with perhaps over 200 bugs. I'm no OS developer, but that seems like a hefty number. So perhaps pushing the initial release back a month would have helped a bit and saved some headaches? Or not? They say there's no better beta test than the final release to the public, right? :) It's all theory - I just like to analyze a bit too much :) Regardless, I'm never in a hurry to receive something if it means that the end product will save me some hassles in the end. Hell, I'd gladly wait another month for Apple on this 10.5.2 update if it meant not having to anticipate a much-needed 10.5.3 release two weeks later. I can tell by the howls in these forums that I am definitely alone on this issue :D

cheers,

agra