10.5.2 Not Out Yet, But it Fixes 130+ Bugs

Numberzz

90 posts in this topic

Still not a single leak of the 10.5.2 update? I'm really hoping that someone leaks it soon (I guess build 9C27 is the latest, although I heard some rumors about a 9C29 build as being final), as Apple's release is anyone's guess--it could be the end of this week, it could be the end of next month.

As for Vista, it is really quite nice for a Microsoft OS. I think the reason that most people {censored} and whine about it is the fact that it: (1) requires really powerful hardware to run (2GB of RAM is a necessity; their POS eMachines running XP Home with 512MB just isn't going to cut it) and (2) it is not intuitive for the novice user (it ships with all of the useful features pre-disabled and all of the useless and/or annoying {censored}--like the UAC thing--enabled) and requires a lot of tweaking to become enjoyable.

If the rumors about a new MBP from last week are true, then we can expect 10.5.2 some time next week. I think it would make sense for Apple to release both at the same time!

@cyclonefr:

I don't agree with you. Speaking for myself, I have been using Vista. First, I had to get used to it, because several things changed from XP to Vista. So, after a few days of using Vista I had explored some new functions and I started to think that it isn't that bad, actually! Anyway I wasn't satisfied with the whole GUI, because I still think it is not unified as for some icons for example which still look like in Windows 98. Other than that, my Vista experience stopped abruptly (at least on my native installation), so I wasn't really satisfied with it anymore. I also know a couple of friends who have experienced quite some problems with the new MS OS. What really disturbs me most is the new activation routine as well as the DRM policy. Of course, piracy is a big issue for MS, but I think the whole activation process is really annoying - unfortunately I can't think of a better alternative though.

And the rumors that 10.5.2 was for the MBA are groundless, as the MBA uses special software, so new MBP's might be a valid point.

Hopefully it'll fix the Flash Player issue with Safari whenever I try to close a window with a youtube video running or paused.

As far as Vista goes, who cares? I had it installed under 1 GB of ram on my Mini, but XP ran much faster and suits my needs. Unless you need DX10, theres really not much of a reason to run it, unless you really want Aero.

I originally started using vista just for dx10 with my games, but my desktop is so nice(not to brag) that I can still max out any game except Crysis(and alt+tab just fine, too).

[edit]

Ah {censored}, my Vista install will be broken with SP1. Gotta find another workaround....

Buying it is a good solution.

Yeah sure Vista is all about Aero.

Yeah, 1GB of ram isn't enough for full experience, but it's not enough on Leopard either. Leopard can't handle properly RAM, yeah sure you can run Safari with 512MB of ram, but you can too in Vista... It's just gonna be the same slideshow fest either on Leo and Vista, and I actually think Vista handles it much better thanks to Superfetch but that's WHAT I noticed.

Anyway, i'm running Leopard as my main OS, still I'm using Vista WHEN I Need to reboot under Windows (or use VMWare Fusion...) and not XP since it runs better and has more features. But that's just my oppinion I guess, I'm one of those who are running Vista rather than XP, and I know we are not a lot of people since many people tend to think Vista sucks because it doesn't run on their 5 years old PC. So yeah, keep XP, or even better, install Windows 2000, takes less ram :angel:

@cyclonefr:

Of course, Vista has higher hardware requirements, but in my opinion Microsoft is forcing users (or at least trying to do so) to upgrade their hardware to run Vista decently on their machines. I think that is definitely not the way to go. You shouldn't force users to switch to another OS by restricting certain features (like DX10) to the new product if the old one is also capable to handle it. Certainly Vista has a a number of improvements over XP, but I think Vista only games or other BS won't help to convince performance orientated users such as hardcore gamers to switch over to Vista, especially if there are ways to get stuff like DX10 games or effects (e.g. in Crysis) to run on XP. What goes for the gamers and such apparently can't be applied to the average user who buys a PC with Vista and will prefer its look over XP and who doesn't have performance preferences. For those who have older machines I think that they will stick with XP, mostly for these reasons (lack of performance).

I guess Apple just released it earlier because they set themselves under pressure with the release date

I don't think so, it could have just as easily have been a monetary issue. Depending on the final size of 10.5.2 they wouldn't have been able to fit everything on one DL disk, so they would have had to pay a lot more for packaging. Makes more sense to do it the way they did.

Firstly, the only people 'forced' to upgrade their hardware to run Vista is those with really old machines and for those people, the chances are their PC is out of date any way.

Second, Vista isn't only restricted for some arbitrary marketing reason, there is no doubt DX10 is a selling point of Vista but there are technical reasons why it's limited to Vista and post-Vista OS.

Thirdly, don't expect actual DX10 games to run on XP, or at least not strictly comparably like Crysis is [apparently] able to.

Fourth, those with older machines and who aren't gamers aren't going to go out, buy a new OS and install it, they'll simply get it with their new machine so they aren't going to stick with it for those reasons because those reasons don't apply to them and they do not even know of those reasons.

Firstly, the only people 'forced' to upgrade their hardware to run Vista is those with really old machines

Not necessarily true.

those with older machines and who aren't gamers aren't going to go out, buy a new OS and install it

Also, not necessarily true, but don't want to get off topic. This is supposed to be about 10.5.2 :(

9C30 is seeded to developer yesterday.

and Apple store is down right now.

let's hope there is new Macbook Pro and 10.5.2 today

don't think so for the 10.5.2, they just released 9C30 yesterday, don't expect the update anytime soon.

don't think so for the 10.5.2, they just released 9C30 yesterday, don't expect the update anytime soon.

Well, theoretically it is possible they make 9C30 final the next day. They did with 10.5.1 the same thing.

However, that update was a lot smaller.

It's just getting harder to predict a release date, because the update has been 'delayed' a lot of times. I call it delayed, but there never wasn't a precise release date of course.

It is possible, but I doubt it. Seems more like Wednesday or Thursday when no new problems surface.

Friday has been mentioned too, but I've read an interesting comment somewhere which assumed Apple would not release on Friday because of the weekend. Tech support doesn't work in the weekend according to him.

i hope its soon. obv dont want them to rush it and release a semi-fixed update, but at the moment, my leopard is a bit disappointing - not as stable as fully updated tiger was on my old imac. nothing major, just a lot of apps "unexpectedly quit" at annoying times for no reason. preview seems very buggy to me. and pubsub agent just wont stop quitting.

re: vista vs xp, personally, i dont see much point in vista. i ran it on my pc for a while and bootcamped it on my macbook for a week or two, then decided to go back to xp. no geeky fanboy nonsense involved; i just couldnt see that vista was giving me anything special, and xp seems more stable for what i do (music).

im in the process of switching from cubase on windows to logic on mac, and im glad to say that logic seems incredibly stable. if they manage to get the os working properly too, ill be one very happy bunny.

It's bought macgirl.

Thanks, bedlight, I checked if the word "buyed" exists, and google showed (is this also wrong?) several, so I presume that it was right, google translate sometimes makes no sense, I had the doubt. Thanks again.

Now I just waiting for Robotskip telling me that I am a retard and I should learn english :blink:

9C27 fixies probs with Safari, now in the chase of 9C30 :D

Thanks, bedlight, I checked if the word "buyed" exists, and google showed (is this also wrong?) several, so I presume that it was right, google translate sometimes makes no sense, I had the doubt. Thanks again.

Now I just waiting for Robotskip telling me that I am a retard and I should learn english :(

9C27 fixies probs with Safari, now in the chase of 9C30 :P

I'll retaliate back at him like I did at that other guy in that other thread about the Mac Pro's. Something about video cards or some {censored}. Can't remember exactly but he was being too much of a {censored}. Your welcome for that. And your welcome for the grammar. Yea Google doesn't really have good grammar, but they're decent at spelling. =]

9C30? Damnation! Apple is just not going to release this sucker. And with no leaks, we may be waiting another 3 weeks for this update, considering the number of delays they've already had.

They're going to release, on their time. The latest build contains three new fixes of which two of them involve Time Machine. This makes the total list of bugfixes 135 of which 10 of them involve Time Machine.

Apple has also reduced the focus test areas from 13 to 9, among those are Time Machine of course but also audio input, Back To My Mac, Bluetooth and the much anticipated new graphic drivers.

So they want this update to be tested extremely well. I guess this update should mean Leopard is definitely ready for prime time, although in most circumstances it's stable enough, but many people are experiencing problems with it and therfore they need 10.5.2

Today release seems doubtfull. They might even release a new build this week. I assume they will be ready to go live next week.

Most likely on Tuesday as this is the day the MacBook Pro update(s) is/are expected to appear.