Office 2008 is a virus?

A Nonny Moose

20 posts in this topic

Well, it appears that a lot of stuff MS Office 2008 installs becomes the property of user 502 (the second user ever created on OSX). Mirosoft says it's Apple's fault because this is their first time they've used Package Manager for an Office install.

Is this another reason to switch to iWork or is it something that is "just a glitch"?

The thing is, he has a point about a lot of things. He's probably been one of the more balanced opinionator around.

I am not keen on "fanboi-ism", and I like to see intelligent discussion's rather than "zomg microsuck lolololol".

omg Robotskip stfu why are you even on this forum if you are such a Windows fanboi?
Because I'm not a Windows fanboy (For the record, calling someone a fanboy in itself is pathetic and petty but replacing the y with an i somehow makes it worse, as impossible as that sounds), just because your petty mind is incapable of humouring the idea that someone who is not inherently and stupidly biased against all things Microsoft and posts something which seems 'good' about them is not a fanboy, doesn't magically make said people so.

I showed the hypocrisy of the people's complaints here, where is this fanboyism you label me as acting out?

The thing is, he has a point about a lot of things. He's probably been one of the more balanced opinionator around.

I am not keen on "fanboi-ism", and I like to see intelligent discussion's rather than "zomg microsuck lolololol".

Thank you Hara Taiki for being one of the few intelligent and logical ones. I'm attacked by people who instead of countering things I say just vomit out "OMG LOL FANBOI!!!!!M$ SCKS LOLOL" - if I'm such a fanboy one would assume my comments are knee-jerk, asinine ones and that they could be easily countered and dispelled with a simple "No, you're wrong, here's why.." but instead we're presented with pathetic comments like Colonel's.

I put forward the question, who is the 'true' fanboy here? The person who has facts and logic, or the person who merely resorts to desperate ad hominem attacks? I think it's fairly obvious.

Oh, and for a 'fanboy' I do not display any of the normal properties of such a one. For example, I'm posting from 10.5.1 instead of Vista, why? Because aside from some things like the Dock, for general usage like browsing, mail, checking my RSS feeds (While NetNewsWire and FeedDemon are from the same company and are the same product albeit for different platforms, NNW is sooo much better), etc I prefer to use MacOS, for the most part anyway.

Want to know what else goes against the MS fanboy idea you've so frivolously propositioned? I call out MS and it's products on their faults and I use whatever product/service which I like the most or deem is the most appropriate for me. For example, I'd easily go the way of a LAMP server or Free/OpenBSD instead of 2003 for any server of mine though Server 2008 is looking to be not too bad, I'd also build my own Linux based NAS instead of WHS, unless of course it was for my whole family to use, and so on.

So, either prove I'm a fanboy and that my comments are simply fanboy driven drivel, or offer an apology.

You're welcome, robotskip.

I'm the type of person that uses an OS based on needs and ability. I love OS X out of them all, but I know that Windows has some advantages (games is one, but even that is becoming an ancient excuse now...), as does Linux (how many times has Ubuntu's NTFS drivers saved my Windows drive when I couldn't boot XP I can't even count [i'm a beta tester for a lot of {censored}, stfu], and can you say Compiz Fusion anyone?).

It takes an open mind to escape the constraint of "fanboi-ism", and quite frankly, as intelligent as the whole of the community may be, there are truly some individual's purely incapable of logical thought process.

Did you hear the one about the two inmates at the insane asylum...?

Ah yes, Compiz Fusion is quite fun and amazingly enough, useful. :( It's crazy how well it runs compared to the few effects and the like in MacOS and especially Vista. I wish someone would just combine Vista/Ubuntu (Or some other distro but this is my favourite)/FreeBSD/Leopard to make the perfect OS so I don't have to worry about which one I'm going to boot into. D:

Unfortunately I seem to attract that type of person, maybe I should go back to being tactful rather than destroying them.

And no, hah, I haven't heard about the 2 inmates in the asylum but you have piqued my interest. I assume it's some type of short 'story' or analogy of some type a lot of people know but I just managed to never hear..? I searched the net and found some bizarre things, lol. :s

Compiz Fusion is so wonderful because of two parts: nVidia's excellent support of OpenGL (even on my {censored} FX5500 it ran as smooth as Core Image and Core Animation do for OS X) and great beta drivers (which, imo, are pretty freaking stable for beta), and the wonderful programming done by the developers. Using so little resources to generate some wicked nice eye candy is an amazing feeling...

I still prefer OS X overall, but again, it's all about needs. Let the "fanbois" cry out, because they cannot fathom thinking outside the box. Destroy them, because they can never truly delve into a worthwhile argument.

I'll PM you the joke.

Compiz Fusion is so wonderful because of two parts: nVidia's excellent support of OpenGL (even on my {censored} FX5500 it ran as smooth as Core Image and Core Animation do for OS X) and great beta drivers (which, imo, are pretty freaking stable for beta), and the wonderful programming done by the developers. Using so little resources to generate some wicked nice eye candy is an amazing feeling...

I still prefer OS X overall, but again, it's all about needs. Let the "fanbois" cry out, because they cannot fathom thinking outside the box. Destroy them, because they can never truly delve into a worthwhile argument.

I'll PM you the joke.

CF is one of the things I miss and so far Nvidia's Linux drivers have been spot on for me but I haven't tried gaming in Linux.. Oh, and in that suggestion, I'll continue to do so.

Thanks for the PM too, I shall remember that joke.

why must you PM the joke? just post it.

can you PM it to me as well?

I've never heard of compiz fusion... off to google I go.

I'm back from google. Would it be (relatively) easy to compile for OS X? to try out?

Easy? Probably not, or rather, I haven't heard or seen anyone doing it but this is the Internet so by my law, which so far is unnamed, there is at least 1 person who has done it and posted it somewhere.

I'll post what I said in Microsoft Office has a bug, Blames Apple:

This is a serious issue that should have been corrected in the beta. However, I'm a bit confused. After looking The Office Team Blog and MacUser, I do not see where it states that Microsoft blamed Apple. The only mention to the package installer is in the MacUser article, which states:

While Microsoft’s MacBU has acknowledged the problem, some have also pointed to it as a problem with Apple’s Package Maker, which Microsoft has adopted for the first time with Office 2008.

Can someone please provide me with a link proving that Microsoft did indeed blame this on Apple?

@erei33,

You do have a point. Nowhere was it directly stated that MS was blaming Apple, some people (for example, me) assumed indirectly that just because MS said that it wasn't familiar with the Package Maker, MS was blaming Apple.