[HOW TO] INSTALL ON GIGABYTE/ASUS/COMPATIBLE BOARDS

mtotho

999 posts in this topic

Thanks a ton for this guide. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board. Everything is finally working on it, video, DVD drive, apple bluetooth keyboard and digital sound. I had some issues with my 8800 GTS 512, but got that new install link from your guide. Here is my question. I went out and bought a new HD for the install, so now i have a Vista drive and a OSX drive, any ideas how I can get get a prompt to ask which OS to run? Right now i'm having to go into the BIOS and change the startup disk for each OS. I believe this can be done?

thanks again for the guide!.

Thanks a ton for this guide. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board. Everything is finally working on it, video, DVD drive, apple bluetooth keyboard and digital sound. I had some issues with my 8800 GTS 512, but got that new install link from your guide. Here is my question. I went out and bought a new HD for the install, so now i have a Vista drive and a OSX drive, any ideas how I can get get a prompt to ask which OS to run? Right now i'm having to go into the BIOS and change the startup disk for each OS. I believe this can be done?

Why not just hit the F12 key to get the boot menu then choose which one you want to run.

I was pulling my hair out figuring out the networking: it worked in a flakey manner and I couldn't get Bonjour printers to show.

After searching more, I found others solved their problems with the RealTek1000.kext driver at https://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/

This fixed everything for me, and I'm now networking nicely.

FYI, I did get kernel panics w/ my 4Gigs RAM even if not set to Dual Channel. The only thing that fixed it was to ENABLE ACHI (as you have posted). I lose the other SATA ports but its worth it.

If I only can get the restart/shutdown working reliably.

Thanks again for all the help.

ports but its worth it.

If I only can get the restart/shutdown working reliably.

Thanks again for all the help.

Hello all, good thread and guide.

Regarding SHUTDOWN problem: it has been reported on another thread that changing the BIOS POWER MANANGEMENT setting to PWR - DELAY 4 SEC has cured the shutdown woes!

Hope that helps.

Re: using the IDE dvd-drives to install - how on earth did anyone get that to work?

UPDATE: ok, after reading this THREAD, I decided that it MUST be possible as I too had a Pioneer IDE-dvd-drive. So the trick as far as I can tell was:

IDE dvd-drive must be Master and have NO other devices on the cable.

Before that discovery, I also had an IDE-harddrive on the cable and would get the deadly "NO PLIST FOUND" error from Kaly's 10.5.1 install disk.

AND the Gigabyte ON BOARD controller must be set to "IDE" !

But I am not yet finished tweaking the system, so I cannot yet report on the degree of success. All in all I was suprised that the install on this board was much more difficult that I had assumed. Partly this is due, I believe, to all the different possible configurations and devices that the board allows: I have for example the Gigabyte ports activated as raid for my XP needs... etc. etc.

good luck,

ninetto

OKAY an update and query for advice:

I was able to install Kaly 10.5.1 on a p35-ds3p using an IDE-dvd-drive.

All seems pretty good EXCEPT:

I must boot with the tohkernel, not vanilla.

To me this seems like a clear case that EFI was not installed properly... anybody else with suggestions?

UPDATE: it was the EFI problem: for some reason Kalyway's install disk did not properly install efi. But I fixed this afterwards, installing efi8 from a usb stick and now

VANILLA KERNEL hurrah!

thanks in advance,

ninetto

I installed off an IDE DVD drive no problem... however I do have a weird shutdown problem somedays lol. Sometimes it just wont shutdown, I click it and it starts, it closes finder and everything and it just stops.... weird

When I install then restart there's a b0 error. Anybody know what this means?

From what I have read here it means you have installed onto a mbr partition but did not uncheck the default guid_efi boot loader then select the mbr_efi in the customize options.

@ Alex Asay: Are you using this board. What type of hardrive are you using, make sure it is port 0 or 1 if AHCI is enabled. Make sure your hardrive is set to boot. What Macuser said should work.

@ Raven2004:

I have said how to do this in the guide. Simply Make the Vista Drive bootable/primary in bios.. boot into vista.. download an app called "EasyBCD" and install it. Go into add entries and add an entry for Mac Os and select "Generic osx86 pc" then hit save and it should now prompt you upon reboot. Know you can also (in easybcd) customize the timeout time on the bootloader, and choose which os is automatically selected to start.

@Ninetto

Hello all, good thread and guide.

Regarding SHUTDOWN problem: it has been reported on another thread that changing the BIOS POWER MANANGEMENT setting to PWR - DELAY 4 SEC has cured the shutdown woes!

Hope that helps.

Yes i am aware of this, infact it is one of my settings that i have in the picture of bios settings in the guide. In my experience, either way shutdown only works sporadically. Maybe 1/5th the time i will get a good shutdown, the rest of the time it just shuts the OS down.. and not the computer (not that big of a deal to be honest)

Yes i am aware of this, infact it is one of my settings that i have in the picture of bios settings in the guide. In my experience, either way shutdown only works sporadically. Maybe 1/5th the time i will get a good shutdown, the rest of the time it just shuts the OS down.. and not the computer (not that big of a deal to be honest)

see, mines the exact opposite, 4/5 times I get a perfect shutdown. So weird. What Bios you running?

I fixed my b0 error problem. It wasn't that I installed the wrong boot loader, it was that formated with the wrong mapping system. Actually When formating I don't have the option to change from guid to mbr.

I'm using the same set up as your guide computer except the video card and I only have one 160g 7200rmp drive. I even got the same ram. I've been trying(very unsuccessfully) to do a hackintosh since the developer version of intel osx started floating around so I bought all the same stuff to make sure this time.

Thank you so much for doing this tread. I actually have a mac pro sitting right next to the hack pro, maybe I'll do some bench marks to compare.

Just out of curiosity, is anybody using Toast 8 on their install? Seems like right after I install it is when my IDE drives give me trouble.

Using a USB DVD/RW drive for now though.

I am using Toast perfectly, burned a DVD last night.

OK, so last night did an install on the following hardware and had some issues. Namely, onboard Ethernet never worked and my XP installation (on the same physically HD) got hosed. Any advice is welcome.

Board: GA-P35-DS3L (rev 2.0, F6 BIOS)

Processor: Intel E2180 (@stock 2.0Ghz speed)

Memory: 2GB (2x1gb Kingston sticks in slots 0,2) dual-channel

HD: Seagate 7200.10 320Gb PATA IDE drive

DVD: Samsung SH-S203B SATA DVD drive

Video: xfx GeForce 7100gs 256mb RAM

Keyboard/mouse: Logitech wireless EX110 / Microsoft Wireless Desktop 5000

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 430

This is what I did:

• I use the Kalyway 10.5.1 install.
  • Used all the settings and instructions from this guide and the MBR method to dual-boot XP and Leopard.
  • ACHI on. All other BIOS settings the same as mtotho's.
  • The XP partition was 130Gb, I set Leopard to take up the rest of the drive.
  • I got the boot menu and was able to choose which OS to boot, but XP stopped working. It would get to just where the desktop was going to popup, then it would flash a really, really fast blue screen of death and then reboot. "Safe mode" would not work. "Last known good" would not work.
  • The Logitech wireless set worked fine for installation however, the mouse was jittery once I booted into Leopard. Surprisingly, shutting down and switching to the Microsoft set listed above connected via PS/2 cured the issues.
  • Video, sound, USB working nicely.
  • LAN was never recognized. I tried playing with the connection as suggested by mtotho (including unplugging, replugging, and switching the Ethernet settings from auto to manual and back. I didn't not reset my router nor shut down my PC for an hour as was suggested.) I tried the Realtek drivers and the SourceForge drivers, neither worked, though I got no error messages. The LAN connection worked just fine in XP, before it got hosed.

Anyway, any idea why my XP install got hosed? Due to MBR versus GUID possibly? TIA for any help and props to mtotho for his install guide.

I just want to give a big "thanks" to you mtotho.

If I was rich, I will send you some money... :( or those 4 Gig of ram on newegg, that u are dreaming of :) I shall be back with a list of questions, cos right now eyes are dry, nose is runny as it's bloody cold here and it's past midnight. And hope you guys will help with your advise. Have a nice weekend starting right now.

I've been having issues verifying the .iso after burning. Using imgburn verification I get an error at 97%, though the burn completed fine. When I try to boot with the dvd I get ebios errors. I've tried the regular Kalyway and the Kalyway sse2, sse3 both have the same result. I'm using an IDE DVD drive, are these similar problems you got when you tried an IDE drive? I'm thinking I should buy a SATA drive and see if that helps.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Q6600 Quad Core Processor 2.4ghz

GSkill 2 x 2GB

250gig sata (vista install)

500gig sata

EVGA 8800GT

A question guys/gals. does this MoBo support Allendale cores? Specifically:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E4600

Update: From the peeps at Gigabyte:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale should be ok to work on this board it's same spec of Conroe E4600 different is Cornore has 4MB L2 cache Allendale has 2MB L2 cache

log on this web info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Allendale"

Who should I believe? The Tech peeps or the website: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2629

???

A question guys/gals. does this MoBo support Allendale cores? Specifically:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E4600

Update: From the peeps at Gigabyte:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale should be ok to work on this board it's same spec of Conroe E4600 different is Cornore has 4MB L2 cache Allendale has 2MB L2 cache

log on this web info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2#Allendale"

Who should I believe? The Tech peeps or the website: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2629

???

Strange. Their list of supported processors doesn't list Allendale chips, but that's the whole 4xxx series of Core 2 Duo. I think Gigabiyte perhaps called the Allendale chips Conroe chips on their website: http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Mother...?ProductID=2583

If you look at the Wikipedia page of Core 2 Duo chips, it has the Allendale chips there with the same specs as some of those the Gigabyte site, but called Allendale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel....22_.2865_nm.29

Strange. Their list of supported processors doesn't list Allendale chips, but that's the whole 4xxx series of Core 2 Duo. I think Gigabiyte perhaps called the Allendale chips Conroe chips on their website: http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Mother...?ProductID=2583

If you look at the Wikipedia page of Core 2 Duo chips, it has the Allendale chips there with the same specs as some of those the Gigabyte site, but called Allendale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel....22_.2865_nm.29

Thx. I agree.

This sux. I love this set up I've put together but I'm hung up on this issue. I hate buying things that I really can't afford and also not knowing it they'll even work...

I'm leaning toward giving it a shot tho...

This sux. I love this set up I've put together but I'm hung up on this issue. I hate buying things that I really can't afford and also not knowing it they'll even work...I'm leaning toward giving it a shot tho...
LOL. Well this whole thing is something of a risk anyway. As you can see about 4 posts up, I had the same board as many people in this thread, but my LAN connection didn't work and my XP setup (which luckily had no data) was crapped somehow. You won't know until you try, which is unfortunate, but when you hack something, that's the chance you take. You must weigh the risks and potential rewards. And don't forget to take time into account. That said, hacking computers is very fun and for me it's worth the time spent. :wacko: