[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Drivers avaivable for Wireless wifi 4965 AGN ? I searched but nothing ;)

Same questions over and over... if people actually took the 5 minutes required to read the first post :)

Help!

Ok, I've spent days on this and looked around loads. I have my Inspirion 1525 working all ok apart from a couple of things

1. I cant get the ALPS touchpad working. Is FFScroll the only option, will that work?

2. the sleep app that someone made, how do I go about editing rc.common or rc.local, i have tried the sudo su - thing but I still dont have enough permissions to write to the file.

I am not sure but if anyone wants a a working GMA X3100 efi string I have one.

Apologies for asking this but I've been playing with this all day and my brains going to Mush!

Thanks

I love comedy central!

Just wanted to start off by thanking everyone in this thread, I was starting to get bored with my laptop 'till I discovered this thread!

I've got nearly everything working on my m1530, except the mic, Ethernet (which isn't a big deal for me), shutdown/restart (also not a huge deal since I sleep my laptop) and my time machine.

I'd really like to get the mic working, hopefully that will come about eventually.

Time machine worked for me in my initial kalyway installation (10.5.2). There was a package on the CD that included a Time Machine fix. After 10 or 20 reinstalls I installed iAtkos 10.5.4 and everything is working great except Time Machine. I've tried most Time Machine fixes that are on these forums, but none have worked quite well for me. The error I get is one that says the Backup has been delayed and that it cannot find the volume I set as my time machine backup volume. I'll use pacifist on the kalyway CD and hope I can find my answer there.

Anyone else have a similar issue occur for them in iAtkos 10.5.4?

While I agree people should read the first post that first page is beginning to get a bit confusing to read. I am not a novice computer user and it still took me awhile to read all of the required information to get OS X up and going on my XPS 1330. Perhaps some cleaning is in order?

Now on a few other notes: I am a bit annoyed at my Broadcom 59xx ethernet not working on my XPS 1330. I noticed that BigPimpin claimed to have a driver that MAY work with the 59xx but from what I've read it does not. Thus I am going to develop one that should work properly. Right now I am coming home from vacation but once I return I first need to upgrade to iAtkos 4 and then read up on IOKit some more. After a bit of research hopefully I can get that up and working.

Secondly, this may have been covered earlier in this thread (I thought I remembered reading something about this but now I cannot find it) but what has been tried to fix the shutdown/restart issues? I assume from the first page that something about the nvidia kexts does not allow the computer to shut down properly. Has anyone thought up any fixes?

One other thing that needs to be clarified on the front page is sleep and speedstep. It is not clear whether or not sleep works or how to get it working properly. Speedstep is another thing that needs clarified. I have found three different ways of doing speedstep and am unsure which is the best for this particular notebook.

While I agree people should read the first post that first page is beginning to get a bit confusing to read. I am not a novice computer user and it still took me awhile to read all of the required information to get OS X up and going on my XPS 1330. Perhaps some cleaning is in order?

One other thing that needs to be clarified on the front page is sleep and speedstep. It is not clear whether or not sleep works or how to get it working properly. Speedstep is another thing that needs clarified. I have found three different ways of doing speedstep and am unsure which is the best for this particular notebook.

The problem is that 75% of this thread is cluttered with novices which didn't read the first post. Secondly I think this thread covers too many topics, there is a wide variety of configurations available to the dell laptops here, and some features and options are difficult or not working properly for the moment in OSX. Thirdly if you have ideas to rewrite first thread I think macgirl is more than happy for help, but I also think that very many are asking for help they could figure out on their own, if they just tried. And therefore the time used to update the thread, instead goes to uneccesary support...

Now on a few other notes: I am a bit annoyed at my Broadcom 59xx ethernet not working on my XPS 1330. I noticed that BigPimpin claimed to have a driver that MAY work with the 59xx but from what I've read it does not. Thus I am going to develop one that should work properly. Right now I am coming home from vacation but once I return I first need to upgrade to iAtkos 4 and then read up on IOKit some more. After a bit of research hopefully I can get that up and working.

Secondly, this may have been covered earlier in this thread (I thought I remembered reading something about this but now I cannot find it) but what has been tried to fix the shutdown/restart issues? I assume from the first page that something about the nvidia kexts does not allow the computer to shut down properly. Has anyone thought up any fixes?

Well on my 1525 I just did a chameleon boot and installed off the DVD as vanilla as poss, I am still using the vanilla kernel and sleep works fine. restart just shutsdown but its working just like a mac. I'd try going for vanilla as poss every time. You get to know what you've done to it so to speak.

hey. I was wondering if someone could help me to find kexts for my devices. I have an Inspiron 1525. My camera and USB works. The only thing that I'm having problems with is my wireless adapter and my sound card.

My sound card is a sigmatel High Def. Device, and My Wireless Adapter is a Dell Wireless 1395 Mini Card

Well on my 1525 I just did a chameleon boot and installed off the DVD as vanilla as poss, I am still using the vanilla kernel and sleep works fine. restart just shutsdown but its working just like a mac. I'd try going for vanilla as poss every time. You get to know what you've done to it so to speak.

I have tried a vanilla install but I get either an nvinject problem or an AppleHDA problem on boot every time I try and start the installer.

And thank you Matthew for, just two posts down, doing precisely what Superhai was complaining about. That is simply amazing.

Dell Embedded WWAN Card for Sprint/Nextel (Novatel 5720) now working fully!

Just took a bit of fiddling to figure out where things need to go.

in the file

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleWWANSupport.kext/Contents/Info.plist

you need to be updated to reflect the device id. replace the AppleWanDeviceNovatelUSB stanza with:

<key>AppleWANDeviceNovatelUSB</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleWWANSupport</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleWWANSupport</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>10000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBDevice</string>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>33076</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>16700</integer>

</dict>

and also, in the file:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleWWANSupport1.kext/Contents/Info.plist

update the idProduct and idVendor values as above in both the AppleVerizonInterface0NovatelUSB and AppleVerizonInterface1NovatelUSB stanzas. It may just be easier to search/replace all '8464' with '33076' and all '5130' with '16700' in both files. (I did that, and it worked fine)

now do:

touch /System/Library/Extensions

and bring up the System Prefs -> Networking dialog. Hit the + button, and it should say its installing a new device, Novatel Wireless CDMA. Create the Novatel Wireless CDMA connection type and select it.

Hit Advanced below login/password, select the WWAN tab, and change Vendor to Novatel, and Model to CDMA. Hit Okay. Now hit Apply. (Explicitly Applying before trying to connect is critical) Then Connect, and watch it go.

This message was posted over my embedded card via the sprint network. Speedtest with this configuration shows 600kbps down / 350kbps up.

This should probably work for other dell embedded WWAN devices as well, just change your device/vendor id to suit. Also note that it creates the device /dev/cu.wwan, which you can talk to directly with AT commands.

Thank you very much. In same way, I've got the Dell WWAN 5520 to working with ProductID 33080.

Great Job!!! :D

need help here, i using my dell xps m1330 trying to install the Leapord, when i got into the boot running in -v -f mode, it hang at a par of this error applehda.kext failed to load: unable to locate 'layout-id properly.

my hard disk size partition to 2 90gb for my vista with 52 GB for this OS which is FAT32 Format. really need some expert advise to help me get use this file. i have 2 cd n 1 dvd, 1 generic OSX86 generic cd, OSX86 Galaxy boot and the dvd is the mac os leopard. Is my tools sufficient?

hey. I was wondering if someone could help me to find kexts for my devices. I have an Inspiron 1525. My camera and USB works. The only thing that I'm having problems with is my wireless adapter and my sound card.

My sound card is a sigmatel High Def. Device, and My Wireless Adapter is a Dell Wireless 1395 Mini Card

You need this..

Components package: April 8 2008 sonotone made a package that includes several kexts and fixes, shee his thread here:

Just check what Sigmatel codec you have and apply the appropriate patch.

It's all on the first post.

I installed Iatkos 4i on my dell xps 1330. most everything works fine except: shutdown and restart after using nvinstaller v52, my front audio input for headphones, mute media key, eject media key. Anyone know any fixs for these? Thank you so much!

Also I have the Dell 1390 Wireless N card, and it seems to work much slower on the MAC. is it only picking up G? The only driver I see for 1390 is the fix for 10.5.2. Thanks.

Ok, I have been unable to figure out this problem and need a bit of help. When I finally get this laptop to the way I want it I will write an organized tutorial from start to finish about installing osx86 and all of the little things new folk may need.

I used Macgirl's com.apple.Boot.plist from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81294 to get gfx-strings working with Chameleon. I also downgraded my GeForce kexts using nvinstaller to the 10.5.2 versions in order to regain performance. Now, I cannot get QE/CI to work (and cannot find any good information on how to get them going), I cannot sleep the laptop (it simply reboots), and, ever since downgrading my GeForce kexts, the laptop will not return from sleep without displaying a black screen. I have removed nvinject.kext. I have removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext as I read in a thread that Chameleon has issues with it. I have cleared the extension cache and repaired permissions. Shutdown and restart are still broken (I assume this is still the case even when using gfx-strings and not using nvinject).

I also have one other nitpicky thing. Is there a way to increase the repeat rate of the volume up/down touch buttons? Right now you either have to tap slowly or tap twice in order to get the volume blips to move. It'd be nice if they worked more like a real mac where every push moved the volume blip either up or down.

I am beginning to look more into getting the BCM59xx to work. I'd just like to get the rest of my system up and running first.

Lastly, if I put my old Intel 4965 wireless in the WWAN slot, will OS X see both my Dell 1505 wireless and the Intel 4965? I realize there are not working drivers for the Intel 4965 right now but iwidarwin may have some working ones soon.

Edit: Just figured out that my system WILL sleep with the XPS sleep kext in Sonatone's installer package however it makes the trackpad SUPER sensitive and disables my USB ports. The touchpad is still super sensitive when I uninstall the sleep kext and put the original back in. How do I undo that and make it normal again. By super sensitive I mean I have to barely touch it even to make it usable.

Ok, I have been unable to figure out this problem and need a bit of help. When I finally get this laptop to the way I want it I will write an organized tutorial from start to finish about installing osx86 and all of the little things new folk may need.

I used Macgirl's com.apple.Boot.plist from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81294 to get gfx-strings working with Chameleon. I also downgraded my GeForce kexts using nvinstaller to the 10.5.2 versions in order to regain performance. Now, I cannot get QE/CI to work (and cannot find any good information on how to get them going), I cannot sleep the laptop (it simply reboots), and, ever since downgrading my GeForce kexts, the laptop will not return from sleep without displaying a black screen. I have removed nvinject.kext. I have removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext as I read in a thread that Chameleon has issues with it. I have cleared the extension cache and repaired permissions. Shutdown and restart are still broken (I assume this is still the case even when using gfx-strings and not using nvinject).

I am beginning to look more into getting the BCM59xx to work. I'd just like to get the rest of my system up and running first.

Lastly, if I put my old Intel 4965 wireless in the WWAN slot, will OS X see both my Dell 1505 wireless and the Intel 4965? I realize there are not working drivers for the Intel 4965 right now but iwidarwin may have some working ones soon.

Edit: Just figured out that my system WILL sleep with the XPS sleep kext in Sonatone's installer package however it makes the trackpad SUPER sensitive and disables my USB ports. The touchpad is still super sensitive when I uninstall the sleep kext and put the original back in. How do I undo that and make it normal again. By super sensitive I mean I have to barely touch it even to make it usable.

Chameleon has no issues with appleefiruntime. When you say geforce.kexts (in plural) exactly wich one have you downgraded? Regarding network, OS X will "see" everything that is on the pci bus, but it will not do anything if it dont find drivers. You must have edited and changed more stuff than necessary, and lost control over your changes, therefore you have problems. That is my believe.

I downgraded GeForce.kext, GeForce*.bundle, and NVDAN*.kext

Well I read several posts that Chameleon had issues with AppleEFIRuntime. I guess I'll put that one back then.

I got the touchpad fixed by replacing ApplePS2Controller with the one here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=108295 Touchpad is back to normal. I will not be messing with that again.

Sleep has never worked properly for me on the laptop. If I use your IOUSBFamily.kext Superhai, it will sleep properly but give me a black screen upon restart. If I use the 10.5.2 version it will not sleep but rather go all the way down like it was going to sleep and them come back up. If I use the 10.5.3 kext then my webcam/bluetooth are not properly detected.

And that did not help me with my volume control question or my QE/CI question.