[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I've ordered one of those M1530 with the 8600M GT gpus. are the newer batch of gpus also faulty? I haven't received my laptop yet, but I am just wondering if I will get a faulty gpu or a newer batch that does not have this problem... any ideas anyone?

Just installed iatkos 4.0i on my xps m1330. Cannot get nvidia (sonotone) drivers to work, even after repairing permissions. Getting an error on restart "nvidia kext not loaded or installed properly".

Can anyone help?

Also the link at the beginning to this post for:

"http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83931"

nvinstaller doesn't seem to work.

dantastic, the BIOS update can be run from within a DOS environment. I have a 1GB USB key that I have made into a Win98 Startup disk that I simply copied the BIOS update to, booted from it, and ran it. It was all pretty easy. If you don't have a 1GB USB key you should go get one. They are dirt cheap nowadays. To make the key bootable, use HP's utility: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...TX-UNITY-I23839

ReclaimerCube, have you tried iAtkos? I have been unable to get anything else to work properly on my laptop besides iAtkos.

Quick question: does anyone have QE/CI working on an XPS 1330 on 10.5.4 using gfx-strings and chameleon EFI? If so, how did you get it working?

Which version of iAtkos are you using?

Has anyone installed aitkos 4.0i on a m1330?

I installed without problems but can't seem to be able to install kexts for nvidia 8400gs (128mb).

Tried various versions of nvinstaller and dell package 3.0, also various kernels (9.4.0, 9.2.0 toh, 9.2.0 efi) but no luck!

Just keep getting a black screen after restart.

Can anyone help?

Has anyone installed aitkos 4.0i on a m1330?

I installed without problems but can't seem to be able to install kexts for nvidia 8400gs (128mb).

Tried various versions of nvinstaller and dell package 3.0, also various kernels (9.4.0, 9.2.0 toh, 9.2.0 efi) but no luck!

Just keep getting a black screen after restart.

Can anyone help?

this is what i did to get iAtkos v4i to work on my m1330 with 8400gs.

format mbr

in the customize menu check

- top two boxes

- both vanilla options

- the bottom smbios option

install

i kept getting a loop reboot util i went into bios and changed sata ahci to sata ata. can i avoid having to do this somehow?

i then was able to boot and used Diaboliks NVKushInstaller http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/ which got the video working perfect!

that's as far as i've got.. i notice sleep simply sleeps and wakes up instantly. not sure which fix i should do...

this is what i did to get iAtkos v4i to work on my m1330 with 8400gs.

format mbr

in the customize menu check

- top two boxes

- both vanilla options

- the bottom smbios option

install

i kept getting a loop reboot util i went into bios and changed sata ahci to sata ata. can i avoid having to do this somehow?

i then was able to boot and used Diaboliks NVKushInstaller http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/ which got the video working perfect!

that's as far as i've got.. i notice sleep simply sleeps and wakes up instantly. not sure which fix i should do...

Thanks for the reply. tried following your install, but still have the same problem. Strange, since both machines are supposed to be exactly the same! No problem with ahci, but I installed the Sata driver.

Thanks for the reply. tried following your install, but still have the same problem. Strange, since both machines are supposed to be exactly the same! No problem with ahci, but I installed the Sata driver.

hey pepepaco, that's strange...

which options did you select in when you installed and had no propblem with ahci? i'll try you method and see how i go with the nvidia...

You have to replace AppleAHCIPort and IOAHCIFamily with the ones from an iAtkos 10.5.2 install or a Leo4All install to get AHCI working again. iAtkos bundles the wrong versions and it screws up the AHCI detection. There are copies on the forums here. I don't have a link at the moment.

pepepaco, have you booted in -v mode so that we can see the errors? Do you ever even get to the Darwin boot prompt?

Sleep on my XPS 1330 works sometimes. I cannot get it working on a regular basis. I also have been unsuccessful on getting QE/CI working with gfx-strings as of yet. Would some people who have this working -cough Macgirl cough- please explain what other changes need to be made besides booting with the com.apple.Boot.plist here? I have added my device ID to the GeForce.kext, NVDAResman.kext, and NVDANV50Hal.kext and still a no go. I have tried using the default GeForce kexts iAtkos 4 installs and tried using the ones from NVInstaller v.41. Both are a no go. I think this is one of my problems with sleep as well.

I need these two things to work before I write my tutorial. I have not yet attempted to get SpeedStep working but from my understanding that is fairly straightforward using the SpeedStep guide on the first page. My only question about that guide is about the versioning. That guide is for 10.5.1. Will it still work ok on a 10.5.4 system?

hey pepepaco, that's strange...

which options did you select in when you installed and had no propblem with ahci? i'll try you method and see how i go with the nvidia...

Same options as you + sata driver.

pepepaco, have you booted in -v mode so that we can see the errors? Do you ever even get to the Darwin boot prompt?

As far as the nvidia driver goes I do not get any obvious error on loading. Darwin loads normally and I get the apple logo with spinning wheel below it (standard resolution) after 20 seconds or so the screen goes black but leopard keeps loading. So no kernel panic, leopard loads normally , only the screen goes black after about 20 seconds... very strange....

EDIT: sorry guys... I think I must be going senile... the problem was... I left my 19 inch monitor plugged in!!! sorry all!

Hello everyone... I have my m1530 running with vanilla and v8 pc_efi. I want a working shutdown and restart... What do you guys think of changing the 9.4 kernel to 9.2 (w/netkas fix) to accommodate this feature? What would I be loosing by downgrading my kernel?

Hello everyone... I have my m1530 running with vanilla and v8 pc_efi. I want a working shutdown and restart... What do you guys think of changing the 9.4 kernel to 9.2 (w/netkas fix) to accommodate this feature? What would I be loosing by downgrading my kernel?

According to first page of this thread:

shutdown and restart dont work after installing Nvidia kexts (10.5.2) or after installing whole 10.5.2 from any 10.5.2 DVD .

As far as I know there is no solution yet to this problem. Maybe next year with snow leopard?

shutdown and restart dont work after installing Nvidia kexts (10.5.2) or after installing whole 10.5.2 from any 10.5.2 DVD .

As far as I know there is no solution yet to this problem. Maybe next year with snow leopard?

Also according to the first page, the netkas fixed kernel does not work on our machines.

Update on my quest: I finally got QE/CI to work. I just have to get sleep working on a normal basis and I will write my tutorial.

Do you happen to know if these "hard" shutdowns could create any problems in the future for the OS or Dell hardware?

I didn't say that.

I said that one of slots is called WLAN and the other WWAN, you can put the 1505 in either, also the intel wireless card works on any of them.

macgirl,

I aplogize for posting a non-OSX86 question here, but... ...have you been able to successfully get another mini PCIe card running in your Dell? I have an XPS M1330 that has an Intel 4965 card installed. I bought a Gigabyte WS50G (bought it for the Atheros 5007 chipset to use with BackTrack 3). Inside the XPS M1330, there are 5 antenna cables inside the housing for the two miniPCIe slots:

> These two are for the Intel 4965 card. I leave these alone:

- Solid Black

- Solid White

>These are the three extra antenna cables:

- Light Blue

- Black-Gray

- White-Gray

I've enabled the WWAN in the BIOS and disabled the Flash Cache Module. I've been experimenting with different antenna cable combinations, going so far as to remove the 4965 card from the WLAN slot and replacing it with the Gigabyte card and attaching the Black and White cables accordingly.

I've tried this with XP, Ubuntu 7.10 and BackTrack 3 Final. It's a no/go. (for me at least, which is why I'm here).

After sleeping sound works and the trackpad listens to the system config, though I seem to have to do a double tap to actually do a single tab and a tripple for a double. What is even more strange is the tap and drag feature before sleep requires a double tap (which would made sense since it says double tab to drag) but after sleep it still only needs a double tap, the same thing as just single clicking. So it doesn't seem like the system is missing the tap, just interpreting it differently, maybe ffscrole is not actually working till after I sleep the computer?

This is something that is driving me up the wall... since it works before sleep and works with a double tap, I've got to believe there is a fix... besides this and the shutdown issue, I think i've got everything else working. I don't really care about the shutdown issue since I just sleep the PC.

So, if anyone has any ideas on fixing the trackpad after a sleep, please let us know. thanks

macgirl,

I aplogize for posting a non-OSX86 question here, but... ...have you been able to successfully get another mini PCIe card running in your Dell? I have an XPS M1330 that has an Intel 4965 card installed. I bought a Gigabyte WS50G (bought it for the Atheros 5007 chipset to use with BackTrack 3). Inside the XPS M1330, there are 5 antenna cables inside the housing for the two miniPCIe slots:

> These two are for the Intel 4965 card. I leave these alone:

- Solid Black

- Solid White

>These are the three extra antenna cables:

- Light Blue

- Black-Gray

- White-Gray

I've enabled the WWAN in the BIOS and disabled the Flash Cache Module. I've been experimenting with different antenna cable combinations, going so far as to remove the 4965 card from the WLAN slot and replacing it with the Gigabyte card and attaching the Black and White cables accordingly.

I've tried this with XP, Ubuntu 7.10 and BackTrack 3 Final. It's a no/go. (for me at least, which is why I'm here).

I don't know about the 1330, but I have a 1530 and installed a truemobile 1390 card right next to the 4965 card, use the black-gray and white-gray antenna cables and connect them like the solid black and solid white cables connected to the 4965 card. Both work fine in vista, and no swapping out to play with OSX.

I don't know about the 1330, but I have a 1530 and installed a truemobile 1390 card right next to the 4965 card, use the black-gray and white-gray antenna cables and connect them like the solid black and solid white cables connected to the 4965 card. Both work fine in vista, and no swapping out to play with OSX.

That's good to know sir. I will keep trying to get this working. I thank you for your reply.