[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Also just wondering, on your OSX 'rig' what installer did you use i.e. - Kalyway, Leo, etc...

If there is anything you can point towards for the sound and maybe the restart/shutdown issue (which is going to be a no-go) that would add to the tremendous help youve already given here...

Again thanks, you are def an asset to this community! :guitar:

I used not a "distro", I used the BrazilMAC method which involves the retail DVD and making your own installation DVD, also later I used the Reail DVD with a real Mac, after all was installed I just put the necessary patches and kexts.

There is no fix for the restart/shutdown issue as for the sound we are waiting for a better patcher from Taruga.

Hi, just a question read to post to this forum. I was just wondering what release works best with dells listed in this forum. I have used kalyway for my desktop because that is the best for me. I want to know anyones experience good or bad whats release because i want to try it on my dell Inspiron 1420 so i can know what to start with.

here is what there is a guide for iatkos the first verison which is really good but i was looking to do it with something more updated.

thanx in advance :(

Well, worth the try, in some bay there is a leak of the first seed, I will make a copy of my Leo installation and try it there...

EDIT:

The build at the Bay is 9E6, hope someone upload the 9E12 soon.

I've tested installing 9E12, just installed it and replaced the AppleHDA.kext for sound.. I haven't done anything with SMBIOS yet.. without any playing around, shutdown and Restart still aren't working for me at the moment.

SuperHai's SMBIOSResolver.kext caused kernel panic, I was able to fix by booting iAtKOS 2.0i and using terminal to delete SMBIOSResolver.kext dire from hard drive, but I think I'm not running Vanilla SMBIOS.. which was likely the cause.

Iatkos 2.0i unupgraded on an m1330 with nvidia graphics -- still can't get a second display working. Macgirl's instructions in the base post reference graphics strings, but it's not clear where they go, what they do, etc.

What specific and particular kexts and files are required to go where in order to get HDMI and/or the VGA port to work on the m1330? Thanks in advance!

I have the Dell Inspiron 1525 which is similar to the 1520. I was able to get it working with Leo but still not as stable as Tiger. Does anyone know if the X3100 video driver for Leo would work with Tiger?

Well thanks first to macgirl for the guides and instructions and to all the people who

have posted there results :unsure:

I just installed Leopard using the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk and then used NVinstaller

for my graphics. The only issue I had was sound. The pre patched files worked but after my

first reboot I couldn't get sound despite a re-install of the kexts.

Sleep, shutdown, and reboot do not work but that is common so I'm not bothered about that.

With the sound I finally found a sound card dump and some instructions for Taruga's 1.13 HDA patcher,

but I can't find the original post so I thought I would up them here and maybe it would help some of you with your sound issues.

What I had to do was first delete my AppleHDA.kext, and ACLinject.kext as well as my mkext and once that was done

repair permissions and then re-boot. After reboot drag the downloaded sound dump to the HDA patcher and it will install the

kexts as well as repair permissions. Once done, reboot and you should have sound.

This is the only method that worked for me and it is still working after updating to 10.5.3 although I had to repeat the above process after

the upgrade and sound still works after numerous reboots.

My specs:

XPS M1530

T9300

8600M GT 256mb

Dell 1390 wireless

Sound.zip

Hey macgirl,

I'm using vostro 1500. Is there any fix for shutdown/ restart? I have graphics working but it won't boot after that.

How about the mic? it's built in with the webcam. My webcam is working but mic is not. I used iATKOS 2.0i. Any upgrade patches for that?

This is very off topic... but

After 2 years or more of having osx86, i've finally ordered my first mac... the price was right :D

I ordered a Black MacBook... I hope I can get the apple care after the 90 day phone support ends...

Anyways, for anyone who cares... you CAN get the BASE MacBook for ~$640... great deal! But you need Education Discount, and an ebay account (Buy the ipod and printer, get the rebates (they become free) and sell them on ebay....)

Although STAC9228_0x83847616.zip give the most complete functionality, since it's the only one (?) supporting the internal speakers, I'm back to HDAPatcher as well. The functionality of STAC9228_0x83847616.zip kind of vanishes. It works after you installed it, but then next reboot or something like that it doesn't. Once in a while it works again. I can't recognize any system behind that.

With the sound I finally found a sound card dump and some instructions for Taruga's 1.13 HDA patcher,

I've tried HDAPatcher 1.20, 1.19, 1.18, 1.17 and they are broken with STAC9228. They don't work for me.

But 1.16 works, though you only have sound on the first headphone jack. And sound functionality is also killed by Sleep (till next reboot). Thus I'm currently using 1.16.

I have reported that in the forums of

http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-index.php

as well. And also uploaded an uptodate Linux Codec dump:

http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=153

Unfortunately you need to register to download. That's why I include it here as an attachment as well. The reason why I am posting it at all: My codec dump is slightly different to ironicall's (e.g. different subsystem vendor id). I am not including HDAPatcher v1.16 since you can still get it from here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

I haven't tried HDAPatcher v1.13 since I always trust in as-up-to-date-as-possible.

I also posted these issues in the forum of Taruga's site and hope somebody picks it up.

P.S.: The posting which initiated the "manual patching and developing" of STAC9228_0x83847616.zip is this one. Taruga picked it up and created the modified hard coded driver. The way I extraced the codec0.txt uses the following line added to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base line:

"options options snd-hda-intel model=dell-3stack"

P.P.S.: Maybe I should mention my system: Dell XPS M1330 with integrated X3100 graphics.

STAC9228_0x83847616_dell_3stack_codec0.txt

Hello,

I installed this package on acer aspire 5920G (Kalyway 10.5.3)icon1.gif

It work perfectly but I can't make media keys work(play/pause stop FF REW)

I was wondering if some can tell me how can I modify ApplePS2Keyboard??

Thx

Hey macgirl,

I'm using vostro 1500. Is there any fix for shutdown/ restart? I have graphics working but it won't boot after that.

How about the mic? it's built in with the webcam. My webcam is working but mic is not. I used iATKOS 2.0i. Any upgrade patches for that?

For the 1000th time there is no fix

Mic does not work, only Mic jack.

Is the BrazilMac method the best way to get a vanilla install, or is it safe to use the likes of iATKOs 2.0i now?

Yes it will install all Vanilla, but probably cant set the bootloader right, so I you have another Mac Installation or you know how to install the bootloader manually, or with iATKOS you can select just the bootloader.

Hello,

I installed this package on acer aspire 5920G (Kalyway 10.5.3)icon1.gif

It work perfectly but I can't make media keys work(play/pause stop FF REW)

I was wondering if some can tell me how can I modify ApplePS2Keyboard??

Thx

If you know C code, is a piece of cake, the modiffications are in ApplePS2Keyboard.cpp and .h

ok I finally went into vista and found that the cdrom is IDE, how can I now get it detected?

Erase IOATAFamily.kext and put the stock IOATAFamiliy.kext

Just have a question about circular scrolling using FFScroll.

Which is how do I get it to work?

What do I have to do to get it to work, ie what movement on the trackpad do I neede to do?

and What program does it work with?

Is it the same as rotating a picture like apples multitouch trackpad?

Thanks in advance

Mike

I want to confirm 70by's approach to fixing M1530 sound. Now consistent through about 20 reboots.

I seem to have diverged from The Way somewhere regarding Sleep though, and am hoping for some assistance. Sleep causes an instantaneous complete reload for me. Any ideas?

Thanks

I seem to have diverged from The Way somewhere regarding Sleep though, and am hoping for some assistance. Sleep causes an instantaneous complete reload for me. Any ideas?

After installing

. AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip under section FILES of MacGirls first post here (have to install this one or older, otherwise Sleep trick doesn't work for me for X3100 display)

. SMBResolver.kext and PowerManagement.bundle from http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

I had the same effect: Sleep causes the laptop to sleep and instantaneous wake up.

Installing EHCISleepEnabler from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry775607

fixed that problem and I could sleep.

Well thanks first to macgirl for the guides and instructions and to all the people who

have posted there results :D

I just installed Leopard using the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk and then used NVinstaller

for my graphics. The only issue I had was sound. The pre patched files worked but after my

first reboot I couldn't get sound despite a re-install of the kexts.

Sleep, shutdown, and reboot do not work but that is common so I'm not bothered about that.

but I can't find the original post so I thought I would up them here and maybe it would help some of you with your sound issues.

What I had to do was first delete my AppleHDA.kext, and ACLinject.kext as well as my mkext and once that was done

repair permissions and then re-boot. After reboot drag the downloaded sound dump to the HDA patcher and it will install the

kexts as well as repair permissions. Once done, reboot and you should have sound.

This is the only method that worked for me and it is still working after updating to 10.5.3 although I had to repeat the above process after

the upgrade and sound still works after numerous reboots.

My specs:

XPS M1530

T9300

8600M GT 256mb

Dell 1390 wireless

I don't think that is a codec dump from M1530, because my subsystem id is different.

Attaching the codec dump I just made, maybe it will make a difference.

M1530_Sigmatel9228_codec.txt

Thx macgirl for putting this discussion up! Very useful for our dells!

Now here's my problem...

I installed the Sigmatel 9228 sound drivers (the ones matching my sound card) with that DellPackage v3.0b

And I'm glad I finally get sound through speakers and headphone jack! But why does the sound still come out throught the speakers

when I plug in headphones???

Plz help! This is very confusing!

And I'm glad I finally get sound through speakers and headphone jack! But why does the sound still come out throught the speakers when I plug in headphones???

I think because the sound driver is not yet finished and good.

Dell M1530 and M1330 users do not have that problem. Those notebooks have two headphone jacks. And in Mac OS X we have two output devices:

Mac OS X internal Speakers = Dell internal Speakers AND (!) 1st Headphone jack

Mac OS X Earphone = 2nd Headphone jack

So those users can select Earphone output device in sound preferences and have sound ONLY on 2nd Headphone.

Maybe you want to try that on your notebook, but chances are low that it helps. Otherwise go here (Author of the sound driver you are using):

http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-index.php

Register and post in the forum on this site the problem you're having. Chances are still kind of low that it gets immediate attention and fix.

After installing

. AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip under section FILES of MacGirls first post here (have to install this one or older, otherwise Sleep trick doesn't work for me for X3100 display)

. SMBResolver.kext and PowerManagement.bundle from http://www.superhai.com/darwin.html

I had the same effect: Sleep causes the laptop to sleep and instantaneous wake up.

Installing EHCISleepEnabler from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry775607

fixed that problem and I could sleep.

Okay, I was missing SMBIOSResolver.kext, which allowed me to sleep, and TurnLidOn.kext, which allowed me to wake from sleep. So, working perfectly now.

So, a note to others, as it hasn't been made explicit yet: SuperHai's TurnLidOn.kext works for M1530 as well.

I used Sonotone's DellPackage to speed things along initially (2.8) which was great, and that should have SMBIOSResolver, EHCISleepEnabler, PowerManagementbundle, and TurnLidOn added to it. (ideally as default options for M1530, if sonotone gets that far with it :D

So, awesome. Now all I have left is getting my Novatel 5270 embedded CDMA card (413c:8134) to show up as a USB modem so I can use it to connect. System Profiler identifies it on the USB bus, but it doesn't show up as an interface in Network system preferences panel. (it takes AT command sets like a regular serial modem... should be the same for all dell-supplied embedded WWAN cards if we can get it to work). Seems like getting it to show up as a USB modem should probably be just a matter of identifying it as such in a plist somewhere, anyone know where (or have other ideas)?

1st sorry for my bad english..

I need some help to set media keys on ACER ASPIRE 5920G (PLAY/PAUSE , STOP, REW and FF)

I know that I have to change ApplePS2Keyboard.kext source ( ApplePS2Keyboard.cpp and ApplePS2Keyboard.h )

1-How can I have ApplePS2Keyboard source?

2-What I must know about my keyboard and how? (I mean how can I know codes of my media keys)

3-How can I map these keys into ApplePS2Keyboard.cpp and ApplePS2Keyboard.h? (an exemple will be great)

Any suggestion is welcome

Here is my keyboard's photo t131474_ASPIRE5920G.JPG

Thx macgirl for putting this discussion up! Very useful for our dells!

Now here's my problem...

I installed the Sigmatel 9228 sound drivers (the ones matching my sound card) with that DellPackage v3.0b

And I'm glad I finally get sound through speakers and headphone jack! But why does the sound still come out throught the speakers

when I plug in headphones???

Plz help! This is very confusing!

Is not because it was designed that way, remember that all AppleHDA kexts are patched with Taruga's patcher or directly by Taruga, they are not compiled code from sources.

So you can't expect that everything works right. That kext was designed to the original sound card of real Macs, and somehow with some patches they work (not fully) on other cards, Is like having a Lamborghini tires on a Volkswagen Bora, probably you need to deflate the tires to fit in, and probably they can do the same.

1st sorry for my bad english..

I need some help to set media keys on ACER ASPIRE 5920G (PLAY/PAUSE , STOP, REW and FF)

I know that I have to change ApplePS2Keyboard.kext source ( ApplePS2Keyboard.cpp and ApplePS2Keyboard.h )

1-How can I have ApplePS2Keyboard source?

2-What I must know about my keyboard and how? (I mean how can I know codes of my media keys)

3-How can I map these keys into ApplePS2Keyboard.cpp and ApplePS2Keyboard.h? (an exemple will be great)

Any suggestion is welcome

Here is my keyboard's photo t131474_ASPIRE5920G.JPG

You can download the kext sources from Apple's developer site.

For a example see here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=40646 on post #8 jape attach a diff file to the original kext source.