[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

What error do you have exactly?

I don't have the exact error (because I don't have my external drive that I use for backup with me right now). From memory:

1. System Preferences -> Time Machine -> Choose Backup Disk (made sure my External HD was formatted using GUID+Mac OS Extended (Journaled) previous. I also tried MBR & FAT with same result.

2. Choose Backup Disk -> Chose the External HD from the list

3. Turns on Time Machine (counts down to backup).

4. When it begins, an error pops up (FAILED)...doesn't backup. "Unable to Complete Backup. An Error occured while copying files to the backup volume"

EDIT: When I get to my HD and try again later, I'm gonna try looking at the 'backupd' log file to see what's causing this....Stay Tuned.

Hi, i'm new in this forum and i have a first question:

I have a DELL XPS M1330 and i tried to install:

1- iAtkos 2.0i

2- Nvidia kext from DellPackage.O.3.0b

but i can't get audio and sleep/reboot/shutdown working.

None knows tricks to get this things working?

Hi, i'm new in this forum and i have a first question:

I have a DELL XPS M1330 and i tried to install:

1- iAtkos 2.0i

2- Nvidia kext from DellPackage.O.3.0b

but i can't get audio and sleep/reboot/shutdown working.

None knows tricks to get this things working?

Hello. Welcome to the forum. All the information is detailed on the 1st page (about audio), about sleep/reboot/shutdown. Audio works after you use the DellPackage and repair permissions. Sleep works...Reboot & Shutdown stop working after you use the NVidia drivers (this is a known issue) and there's no fix yet. Good luck!

Macgirl -

First off, thanks a ton for all the work its helped huge amounts. I have the m1530, and I see that some are able to get sound tow ork consistently but I havent found out how, any idea? Also, my dvdrom drive isnt detected in the os, installation finds it fine. I have a feeling the 1530 uses a sata dvd drive? Anyway, how can I get this to work?

One way to know if your DVD is SATA is with System Profiler, if at least a conroller is shown there it is bcuase with SATA any drive has its own port, IDE can have 2 port with each controller.

Also if you have Windows or Linux installed you an see at Device Manager or the equivalent in Linux.

shows me no ATA devises, and 2 sata devices. One of which shows my hard drive, the other has nothing supposedly.

In System Profiler I also have 2 ports but my DVD is IDE

see:

Picture_3.jpg

Is there a thread for the XPS M1730?

I can't find anything, thanks. :D

I didnt see any.

Help !!!

I have installed iAktos R2 on a dell XPS 1330M (Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS) with PC_EFI and GFX String for the Graphic-card. when i install NVinstaller first an delete Nvinject.kext i cant reboot and shutdown. without NVinstaller there is no QE/CI support. can someone help me with this problem ? :D

thanx alot, best regards

musikusmint

If you care to read the 1st post you know that there is no solution, if you have QE/CI you dont have proper Restart/Shutdown, if you have proper Restart/Shutdown you dont have QE/CI.

Hi macgirl: (great job on managing this long thread BTW...keep up the excellent work!). PROPS TO YOU!

Interesting article about 10.5.4.

http

://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06...wn_glitch.html

...can you speculate that this will 'put to rest' the issues surrounding our m1330 systems with shutdown and reboot?

What are your thoughts (being the guru that you are)? :(

Thanks again for the feedback!

Well, worth the try, in some bay there is a leak of the first seed, I will make a copy of my Leo installation and try it there...

EDIT:

The build at the Bay is 9E6, hope someone upload the 9E12 soon.

Does anyone know if Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card, works out of the box?

Thanks!

yes it does on some machines

if yours doesnt, run this file in terminal

sudo -s

<password>

./<wherever you put the file>

i usually put it at the root of my drive to make it easy then i just move it

BroadcomScript.zip

Using SuperHai's

. SMBIOSResolver.kext

. EHCISleepEnabler

. PowerManagement.bundle

and

. vanilla 10.5.3 kernel and system

. AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.1.0 incl. AppleACPIPowerSource.kext

I end up

Restart : working

Sleep : working

Shutdown : not working

----

Some notes regarding 10.5.3 install:

I have also made a new kext which subclass the AppleEHCI.kext so you should be able to use it with original kexts with just one modification.

EHCISleepEnabler

To enable it you have to edit the Info.plist in /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEHCI.kext/Contents/

[... omitted ...]

I think in addition it's worthwhile to mention that EHCISleepEnabler goes in here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/EHCISleepEnabler

That is in contrast to SMBIOSResolver.kext, which goes here:

/System/Library/Extensions/SMBIOSResolver.kext

Hope this is correct.

----

I tried different AppleACPIPlatform.kext under 10.5.3 using PC-EFI 8.0 and Darwin 9.3.0 vanilla kernel:

vanilla 10.5.1 version 1.0.5 build 5

first post under files version 1.1.0 build 18

vanilla 10.5.2 version 1.2.1 build 102

vanilla 10.5.3 version 1.2.1 build 167

In all cases I included AppleACPIPowerSource.kext and changed its Info.plist as well as

ACPIPS2Nub/Contents/Info.plist

to reflect the correct AppleACPIPlatform.kext version.

In the latter two (version 1.2.1) Display Sleep does not work for me. That's a problem for me since I'm using integrated graphics X3100 and those rely on Display Sleep to get the display running. If somebody knows a fix to run more recent AppleACPIPlatform versions, I'd appreciate.

I see some related stuff in section "Power Management, SpeedStep and (S3) Sleep"

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15474

If you're using the Vanilla kext, Energy Saver preferences seem to be only taking effect after a system restart, so if you are having troubles with display sleep, set it to 'Never' and restart your machine to fix any problems.

Unfortunately having no display sleep with X3100 is not a solution.

--

Even after reinstalling STAC9228_0x83847616.zip and no AppleAzalia.kext in the way, I have not yet Sound running again. Need to test more here.

EDIT: In few cases Audio works as expected. In other cases, there is just no sound although audio devices are presend in Preferences / Sound. I had this behavior before in 10.5.1 (not surprising, since the AppleHDA.kext is the same). Haven't figured a systematic approach here. It looks to me running on battery raises the chance of having audio by that may be as well by chance.

regards,

7oby

System: Dell XPS M1330 having intel integrated X3100 graphics

Some notes regarding 10.5.3 install:

I think in addition it's worthwhile to mention that EHCISleepEnabler goes in here:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/EHCISleepEnabler

I use EHCISleepEnabler directly in /System/Library/Extensions/ working perfectly.

I use EHCISleepEnabler directly in /System/Library/Extensions/ working perfectly.

I just moved it and now it works.

In the first place I had an error message. Maybe some /System/Library/Extension.mkext not cleared. Don't know.

Hi Dell Users,

I was happy to use my Vostro1500 with Nvidia 8600M-GT's VGA port with full QE/CI support.

Now with 10.5.3 (kalyway, Mysticus...) update it is impossible for me to get full QE/CI support when I

use my old com.apple.Boot.plist with device properties for Nvida 8600M-GT and Audio sigmatel 9205

even when i install NVkrush.

If I delete device properties entries in my com.boot.plist file QE/CI works fine, but the old problem is there,

you cannot use the VGA port because main display stays black.

Can anybody give me a hint? Do I have to fix this in NVkush.kext?

Hey Macgirl just wanted to say good job on the research, makes me wish I learned more about OSX a long time ago...

The only 2 issues, as everyone is having on M1530 my install is Shutdown/Restart w/Nvidia and my sound only works after I wake from sleep mode--

For the sound: I have have tried the switch to headset b4 reboot fix among others including the HDAPatcher(which doesnt do anything after I drag and drop my codec onto the icon; ive tried all versions of that, even deleted extensions.mkext and reset permissions - still no go on HDA Patcher-- but i doubt it'll help anyways as the sound issue is iffy anyways from what I have read so far)

Also just wondering, on your OSX 'rig' what installer did you use i.e. - Kalyway, Leo, etc...

If there is anything you can point towards for the sound and maybe the restart/shutdown issue (which is going to be a no-go) that would add to the tremendous help youve already given here...

Again thanks, you are def an asset to this community! :guitar: