[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hi MacGirl, I`m new here.

I`m a owner of a Vostro 1400 with a Sigmatel 9228.

After 4/5 days researching all the web for something to make my audio device work, I`ve succeed with the following:

- Sound through speakers and left jack;

- Mic through jack, not onboard microphone.

What I did:

I`ve installed the DellPackage.0.3.2 audio for Sigmatel 9228 from sonotone (I even tried my own linux dump with Taruga`s patch and didn`t work).

It will work in the first boot then won`t work again. I just have to delete the Extensions.mkext, then reboot.

The audio will be working again.

I'm using iATKOS v2.0i by the way.

I am also uploading my linux codec dump, just in case.

Hoping this helps... cheers!

codec_stac9228_card0_codec0.txt

X4, if you search a few pages back, I had the same problem with adium, there is an easy fix for it, it consists of going into the terminal and typing a few lines of code. I wanna say it is page 65 and posts # 1291 and 1293. As far as the intel card, just go with the Dell 1505 wireless if ya can. Its a real winner and less than $50.00 on ebay.

Concerning my probs with battery meter - works now and CPU has calmed down, so disregard that post. I think the computer needed a few charges/deaths with the battery to understand its capacity.

Thx, I read this before, but that's the description how to update to 10.5.3 and as I wrote, I had a problem with this resulting in a non-functional keyboard. I read about another solution through setting up a new user and running the program under this account.

I know, there are several cards that work with Leopard, I just wanted to know how the chance is, that one day a functionally driver for the agn-card will be released, it would have several advantages for me (I have a n-router etc.)

Thx, I read this before, but that's the description how to update to 10.5.3 and as I wrote, I had a problem with this resulting in a non-functional keyboard. I read about another solution through setting up a new user and running the program under this account.

I know, there are several cards that work with Leopard, I just wanted to know how the chance is, that one day a functionally driver for the agn-card will be released, it would have several advantages for me (I have a n-router etc.)

For the keyboard, a friend of mine had a similar issue, he plugged in an external, updated to 10.5.3 and then, I think installed some type of PS2contoller.kext (if I'm remembering correctly) and then rebooted and his internal stuff worked. I'll see if I can find the kext.

I have an N router as well, and to be honest, wireless N is wireless N. Your not going to see a huge speed jump if you are going from an Intel wireless N card, to a Dell/Broadcom wireless N card. As long as you have the N router as well, your in good shape. Im using the 1505 card which supports wireless N, I actually noticed better performance over the Intel in Windows. I get excellent range with it in Leopard as well. I started with the Intel originally too, but I am much happier with the Dell/Broadcom 1505. I actually sold my intel on ebay for 40, purchased the 1505 for 50, so for a 10.00 difference and not having to wait around for a driver to be finished, it was worth it in the end (to me).

For the keyboard, a friend of mine had a similar issue, he plugged in an external, updated to 10.5.3 and then, I think installed some type of PS2contoller.kext (if I'm remembering correctly) and then rebooted and his internal stuff worked. I'll see if I can find the kext.

I have an N router as well, and to be honest, wireless N is wireless N. Your not going to see a huge speed jump if you are going from an Intel wireless N card, to a Dell/Broadcom wireless N card. As long as you have the N router as well, your in good shape. Im using the 1505 card which supports wireless N, I actually noticed better performance over the Intel in Windows. I get excellent range with it in Leopard as well. I started with the Intel originally too, but I am much happier with the Dell/Broadcom 1505. I actually sold my intel on ebay for 40, purchased the 1505 for 50, so for a 10.00 difference and not having to wait around for a driver to be finished, it was worth it in the end (to me).

Ok, I misunderstood you, I always thought there are only g-cards to work under Leopard. I didn't know that there's another n-card for Dell Notebooks than the Intel one.

I'd be very happe if you could find the kext your friend has used. This would solve another problem. :D

After several installs on my Dell Notebook I found out that the book is quite good except the known issues, because I tried 4 different Versions (iATKOS 1.0i, 2.0i, Kalyway 10.5.3 and ToH) on 2 PCs and I could'nt even boot from one of them, one PC is a Pentium 4 Northwood on a MSI 6533E (or somewhat) and this one ends with a "still waiting for root device error (which I googled and searched here a bit but didn't find somethin useful). The other one is an AMD 3200+ on an Asus A7N8X (nforce, for which drivers are present on several releases), there I got a Kernel panic or simply a restart about 5 seconds after booting form DVD.

Sorry for OT in the last 2 sentences.

Has anyone a suggestion to that?

Hey macgirl!

Hope you had a great weekend! Question about:

Onboard wired Ethernet:

If it has Broadcom 59xx or Marvell, there are no working driver yet,

EDIT:
February 19 2008

If it has Broadcom 440x you can use an old kext, AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext (Kalyway, and some old DVDs like JAS 10.4.8 have it).

Also you can use an
USB to Ethernet
adapter, now even Apple sell one:
and does not need third party drivers, but someone reports that only works after installing
10.5.2 update

Do you happen to know if anybody on InsanelyMac is actively developing some sort of driver (Superhai...HELP!) that will work with our Broadcom 59xx chipsets (m1330's)? It's a bummer that it doesn't work at this time...I have wireless working but there are times when we need a wired connection...

Also, can ANY USB to Ethernet (not necessarily Apple brand) work if we want to go that route?

Your feedback is appreciated! :P

Hi MacGirl, I`m new here.

I`m a owner of a Vostro 1400 with a Sigmatel 9228.

After 4/5 days researching all the web for something to make my audio device work, I`ve succeed with the following:

- Sound through speakers and left jack;

- Mic through jack, not onboard microphone.

What I did:

I`ve installed the DellPackage.0.3.2 audio for Sigmatel 9228 from sonotone (I even tried my own linux dump with Taruga`s patch and didn`t work).

It will work in the first boot then won`t work again. I just have to delete the Extensions.mkext, then reboot.

The audio will be working again.

I'm using iATKOS v2.0i by the way.

I am also uploading my linux codec dump, just in case.

Hoping this helps... cheers!

Instead of deleting the Extensions.mkext a faster way is puting the lasptop to sleep and wake it to recover sound.

Hey macgirl!

Hope you had a great weekend! Question about:

Onboard wired Ethernet:

If it has Broadcom 59xx or Marvell, there are no working driver yet,

EDIT:
February 19 2008

If it has Broadcom 440x you can use an old kext, AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext (Kalyway, and some old DVDs like JAS 10.4.8 have it).

Also you can use an
USB to Ethernet
adapter, now even Apple sell one:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...part=MB442Z%2FA
and does not need third party drivers, but someone reports that only works after installing
10.5.2 update

Do you happen to know if anybody on InsanelyMac is actively developing some sort of driver (Superhai...HELP!) that will work with our Broadcom 59xx chipsets (m1330's)? It's a bummer that it doesn't work at this time...I have wireless working but there are times when we need a wired connection...

Also, can ANY USB to Ethernet (not necessarily Apple brand) work if we want to go that route?

Your feedback is appreciated! :P

Nobody is developing a driver, and yes USB to Ethernet works, see my rigs I have an Apple Adapter and a Linksys Adapter.

Well, on leopard that is not necessary, my Linksys adaptor (as the Apple also) works with Leopard out of the box, no need to install additional driver.

The kext already in Leopard work with most of USB to Ethernet adapters since most of them uses the same chipset, great isn't it?

I want to give you an update from my Leopard:

After hours of installing kexts and updates I am finally there:

10.5.3, working Batterymeter (lost while installing 10.5.3), working keyboard (used this files (exept the last), the batterymeter didn't came back a long time, I had to install the classic batterymeter from the "dell-tools für osx", which resultet again in a non-functional keyboard.

What I didn't managed is to get sleep to work, he sleeps (power begins to flash smoothly) and than he awakes again about half a second later. I also did not get Speedstep to work, for I used the stock kernel (one more question: what kernel do I have after installing the standard Apple combo upgrade (profiler shows me Darwin 9.3.0)), which I thougt is able to use speedstep.

Has anyone solutions to these problems?

Thanx a lot

It works better, more like the real Macs.

Macgirl:

I have now the leopard update to 10.5.3 by kalyway combo.

The ClamshellDisplay doesn't work. TurnLidOn neither.

I'm trying re-instaling it, and the laptop doens't wake up. No sleep at all, the power led continue light on. (when sleep right, it fade in and out)

Any suggestion? Superhai?

You need Vanilla Kernel or Sleep Kernel to get proper wake, but AFAIK there is no 10.5.3 sleep kernel.

But you need to install EHCISleepEnabler among ClamshellDisplay.

Hello,

I managed to get both EHCISleepEnabler and ClamshellDisplay working on my Latitude D630 using 10.5.2 and vanilla kernel 9.2.2, but when it wakes up, my external USB mouse stays off (no light on optical sensor, pointer not moving) for a few seconds, and I get a warning "Device Removal - The device you removed was not properly put away..." about my USB hard-drive.

This is different from the behavior I see on my Macbook (USB mouse turns on instantly, external HDD does not issue warning).

Is there any fix for this? Thanks!

Although STAC9228_0x83847616.zip give the most complete functionality, since it's the only one (?) supporting the internal speakers, I'm back to HDAPatcher as well. The functionality of STAC9228_0x83847616.zip kind of vanishes. It works after you installed it, but then next reboot or something like that it doesn't. Once in a while it works again. I can't recognize any system behind that.

After reading so many successful reports about STAC9228_0x83847616.zip, I gave it one more try.

. deleted those:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (missed that in the first place)

. dropped AppleHDA.kext from STAC9228_0x83847616.zip to /System/Library/Extensions

. replaced

/System/Library/ALCinject.kext

by

/System/Library/HDAEnabler.kext (the successor of ALCinject)

from

http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=123 (you need to register to download)

. repair permissions, delete Extension.mkext as usual

I don't think replacing ALCinject.kext is necessary.

Result:

. Sound now works perfectly after going to sleep and wake up

. internal Speakers + Headphones

P.S.: Restart works in 10.5.3 with X3100.

Hi Macgirl, I need some advice, I've downloaded and verified the 10.6 Snow Leopard Developer Preview a few days ago but don't want to buy expensive double-layer DVD set for a lost cause. I understand that the 10.6 in its current state is uninstallable on hackintoshes, but a colleague has offered his genuine MacBook Pro to try it out :) providing that I restore the system to its previous state if something goes wrong. So, properly burned onto a double-layer DVD, would the 10.6 be installable on a genuine Mac?

Also, is there any way to slim it down somehow to avoid the use of a costly double-layer DVD? Your response is much appreciated in advance. :)

Hi Macgirl, I need some advice, I've downloaded and verified the 10.6 Snow Leopard Developer Preview a few days ago but don't want to buy expensive double-layer DVD set for a lost cause. I understand that the 10.6 in its current state is uninstallable on hackintoshes, but a colleague has offered his genuine MacBook Pro to try it out :) providing that I restore the system to its previous state if something goes wrong. So, properly burned onto a double-layer DVD, would the 10.6 be installable on a genuine Mac?

Also, is there any way to slim it down somehow to avoid the use of a costly double-layer DVD? Your response is much appreciated in advance. :)

You can make an image of the contents of the HD of your friend's Mac with Disk Utility onto another HD, after you played with Snow Leo you can recover from that Image.

Burning to a DL-DVD should work, I burned several Leo DL-DVDs to my friends and they installed Leo with those on real Macs.

This possibly help: How to squeeze Leopard to a SL-DVD

Don't know if it has same components or packed in the same way a Leo 1.5 has.

:P

Thanks a lot, Ironicall. After a lot of reading and (re-)installing just to get sound with Leopard 10.5.3 on my XPS M1530. I finally read your post, downloaded your Sound.zip and it did simply did the job! Now I have sound all the time - thank you!

Besides sleep/shutdown/restart everything is working fine now. And I have no idea whether speedstep is working or not.

Maybe someone has a clue for me regarding these issues.

Cheers

S.

Well thanks first to macgirl for the guides and instructions and to all the people who

have posted there results ;)

I just installed Leopard using the Kalyway 10.5.2 disk and then used NVinstaller

for my graphics. The only issue I had was sound. The pre patched files worked but after my

first reboot I couldn't get sound despite a re-install of the kexts.

Sleep, shutdown, and reboot do not work but that is common so I'm not bothered about that.

With the sound I finally found a sound card dump and some instructions for Taruga's 1.13 HDA patcher,

but I can't find the original post so I thought I would up them here and maybe it would help some of you with your sound issues.

What I had to do was first delete my AppleHDA.kext, and ACLinject.kext as well as my mkext and once that was done

repair permissions and then re-boot. After reboot drag the downloaded sound dump to the HDA patcher and it will install the

kexts as well as repair permissions. Once done, reboot and you should have sound.

This is the only method that worked for me and it is still working after updating to 10.5.3 although I had to repeat the above process after

the upgrade and sound still works after numerous reboots.

My specs:

XPS M1530

T9300

8600M GT 256mb

Dell 1390 wireless

:)

Thanks a lot, Ironicall. After a lot of reading and (re-)installing just to get sound with Leopard 10.5.3 on my XPS M1530. I finally read your post, downloaded your Sound.zip and it did simply did the job! Now I have sound all the time - thank you!

Besides sleep/shutdown/restart everything is working fine now. And I have no idea whether speedstep is working or not.

Maybe someone has a clue for me regarding these issues.

Cheers

S.

SpeedStep is a 3 step issue

1.- Apropiate Kernel, Vanilla does not work (don't know if lastest 9.3 modded kernels are speedstep capable)

2.- Installation of ACPICPUThrottle.kext (maybe need a different AppleSMBIOS.kext)

3.- Run the SpeedStep App.