[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I'm using my HDD in AHCI

I finally succeed to boot in OS X having replaced all the kext in extensions by those of 10.5.2. So I don't know which one was wrong.

Anyway now it works.

P.S. One thing I've noticed is on first reboot after 10.5.3 installation, reboot has worked. Now it doesn't work but it has worked! Did it work for you?

I already replied to you, you only need IOAHCI and AppleAHCIPorts kexts from 5.2 to fix that problem.

Reboot has worked after first installation possibly because you most likely used new 5.3 NV kexts that break QE/CI. (no graphics acceleration = shutdown/restart working).

Hello,

I've done what you tell us to do to have the 10.5.3.

I've done exactly what you said, but now, when I try to boot (-v -x or just -v), he starts to boot and, he keeps tell me he wrote a log about a crash of loginwindow.

When I boot on ubuntu and see that crash log, it's wrote:

Process:		 loginwindow [209]
Path:			/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow
Identifier:	  loginwindow
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [1]

Date/Time:	   2008-05-29 21:43:44.156 +0200
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.3 (9D34)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
 Symbol not found: _kCUIVariantMenuBarOpaque
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
 Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI

I've to tell you I've installed, a long time ago, an hack to have the menus transparent (It was ok on 10.5.2)

Moreover, I have a crashlog about ifcstart,

the crashlog is:

Process:		 ifcstart [57]
Path:			/usr/libexec/ifcstart
Identifier:	  ifcstart
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [1]

Date/Time:	   2008-05-29 18:34:29.280 +0200
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.3 (9D34)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
 Symbol not found: _kCUIVariantMenuBarOpaque
 Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/HIToolbox
 Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/CoreUI

What Can I do?

I need your help.

Thank you

Nicolas

------

Sorry for my band english, i'm french

Hello,

It's me again. I've also a problem with Time Machine: it refuses to backup, even if I erase my time machine partition.

So, I've got 2 problems: My BT mouse and TM.

edit: Actually, my BT mouse is connected to my laptop but it doesn't do anything! I have no idea why

If I use 5.3 IOAHCI and AppleAHCIPorts kexts, i get the same errors in the picture yeye posted, but I didn't tested out too much.

Are you using your hard drive in IDE mode, or AHCI?

I am using it in AHCI mode.

I have not yet updated my new XPS 1530 (still on 10.5.2. vanilla kernel), but I have had problems after installing 10.5.3 in my other Hackintosh not only with CI/QE (hope to solve it thanks to macgirl's advice) but also with TIME MACHINE as reported by yeye.

Macgirl, have you checked Time Machine? Does it work normally for you? I tried reinstalling IONetworkingFamily.kext, but no luck...

Sietepicos

ATM, I haven't seen a reason to update my 10.5.2 install, it seems to be giving some problems...It probably be smarter for me to just wait for a big update...

In addition, I don't want to be a bother, but did any one experience my camera problem before?

Hi Cristian,

I have checked my webcam (XPS M1530) in windows and in Hackintosh and it is really crappy. Instead of getting around 30 fps it only yields 6-7 fps when light is not extremely good. I tried some incorporated webcams from acer laptops and they are quite better. I also checked one on an 1330 and it looked much better, but probably because it was with much more light. I don't know if the camera is the same in both models.

We are not the only ones having this problems with the webcam, just look around in google.

Sietepicos

Hi cristian,

when my laptop worked well, I've noticed some problems with photo booth after a while in it, it freezes. Now I can't tell you since I've big problem with OS X.

Furthermore, I'd like to know if any of you has got shutdown or reboot with 10.5.3 because it looked to allow a lot of user to shutdown their laptop!

Don't forget to help me with my BT problem & Time machine problem

edit: Finally my mouse is working. I don't know why, it's so strange. Any idea for Time Machine? It's says: Backup has been delayed! (I don't know the exact message in english)

I have not yet updated my new XPS 1530 (still on 10.5.2. vanilla kernel), but I have had problems after installing 10.5.3 in my other Hackintosh not only with CI/QE (hope to solve it thanks to macgirl's advice) but also with TIME MACHINE as reported by yeye.

Macgirl, have you checked Time Machine? Does it work normally for you? I tried reinstalling IONetworkingFamily.kext, but no luck...

Sietepicos

I didn't test Time Machine yet, I normally don't use it.

These kexts an files should be backed up and then restored after 10.5.3 update.

from 10.5.2 or previous working installation.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (if you use modded version, PS2 Keyboard and Trackpad are supported with this or with ACPIPS2nub)

AppleHDA.kext (sound)

AppleSMBIOS.kext (to have proper report in System Profiler)

All Nvidia kexts Geforce* NVDA* (10.5.3 decreased performance)

AppleUSBEHCI.kext (to maintain sleep ability)

PowerManagement.bundle (Battery status)

I reinstalled the USBEHIC thing, with the installer, yet sleep is broken. (I have kernel 9.3)

Also, Can someone upload a powermanagment.bundle, I cant find it...

thanks

Strangely enough , the 10.5.3 update completely resolves sound stuttering of "unknown origins" under Vanilla 9.2.X -- 9.3.0. What was causing it though, it was never a problem on the older M1530 that I use at work?

Yes, you may loose QE/CI with 10.5.3, but for my 7900GS, incriminated kexts are GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle and Geforce.kext, i've no problems with others Nvidia kexts from this update.

Well I tried with Geforce.kext and GeforceFXGLDriver.bundle from 10.5.2 and the res of the Nvidia kexts from 10.5.3 but I had the same poor performance, so I moved all 10.5.2 Nvidia kexts again.

Shutdown/Restart still does not work even with 10.5.3 kexts.

I reinstalled the USBEHIC thing, with the installer, yet sleep is broken. (I have kernel 9.3)

Also, Can someone upload a powermanagment.bundle, I cant find it...

thanks

Where did you install it? did you erase the extensions cache?

PowerManagement.bundle is on 1st page or at Signature of Superhai.

Well I tried with Geforce.kext and GeforceFXGLDriver.bundle from 10.5.2 and the res of the Nvidia kexts from 10.5.3 but I had the same poor performance, so I moved all 10.5.2 Nvidia kexts again

Ok, i've installed update on my desktop computer, with an 8600gt: i've restored GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle, Geforce.kext and GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle, to get it working as before. This last kext appears necessary for 8xxx series.

EDIT: If someone can confirm for xps, thanks.

Hi,

Just after getting my XPS M1530, the information in this topic has been amazing, thanks to everyone.

Anyway, I was trying to get my onboard ethernet working (currently a Marvell Yukon 88E8040). I had a look at this topic: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=104276 and the guy seems to have got the previous version 88E8039 working.

I had a look into the info.plist he had edited and changed the IOPCIPrimaryMatch string from his Vendor and Device ID to mine (Ox435411ab)

As soon as I loaded the kext I got the ethernet as detected, however it shows the network cable as unplugged.

Any ideas on how I can fix this or is it pointless?

Cheers.

Hello,

I still have my Time Machine problem but I'm also trying to resolve the Front Row remote control problem.

I've found this applescript:

tell application "Front Row" to activate

tell application "System Events" to key code 53 using command down

Can someone tell me what does it exactly do? I assume that when I'll launch it, it will launch FR. Then key 53 will be mapped as down array. Am I right?

If yes, how can I know which key is 53. Thanks

edit: IOnetworkingfamily.kext seems to be the cause of my BT mouse probme. Unfortunately, each time I boot on OS X, it doesn't' seem to work so I've to copy it at each time in extensions folder. How could I resolve this problem?

Firstly great topic mac girl its fantastic.

ok basically im very very close to buying a 1720 with these specs:

core 2 duo T8300 (2.40 GHz)

4gb ram

17" widescreen (1440x900)

geforce go 8600m gt (256mb)

2x 7200rpm 160gb hard drives

Intel NextGen Wireless N MiniCard

Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth

ok guys i need your wisdom - does any1 here have a 1720? what have your experiences been like?

ive read on some forums that there are graphical and stability issues unless you disable one of the cores which

is not something i like the idea of. Can u guys foresee any problems? i intend to use the kalyway 10.5.2 disc i have.

Basically im not fussed about the onboard sound since i will be using a firewire audio interface, i do need firewire to be

stable tho. if firewire isnt reliable onboard has any1 had problems with a firewire express card?

Also im hoping to dual boot with windows xp 64-bit edition on the second hard drive - do you guys have any ideas how to go

about doing this, ive seen plenty of topics on dual booting on a single drive with different partitions but nothing on dual hdd

configs (i know about ahci on xp but i got that covered).

Please help me guys im a college student in desperate need of logic but i simply cant afford a macbook pro and i cant afford to

waste money on a laptop that im not sure mac os will run on

Thanks in advance

Firstly great topic mac girl its fantastic.

ok basically im very very close to buying a 1720 with these specs:

core 2 duo T8300 (2.40 GHz)

4gb ram

17" widescreen (1440x900)

geforce go 8600m gt (256mb)

2x 7200rpm 160gb hard drives

Intel NextGen Wireless N MiniCard

Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth

ok guys i need your wisdom - does any1 here have a 1720? what have your experiences been like?

ive read on some forums that there are graphical and stability issues unless you disable one of the cores which

is not something i like the idea of. Can u guys foresee any problems? i intend to use the kalyway 10.5.2 disc i have.

Basically im not fussed about the onboard sound since i will be using a firewire audio interface, i do need firewire to be

stable tho. if firewire isnt reliable onboard has any1 had problems with a firewire express card?

Also im hoping to dual boot with windows xp 64-bit edition on the second hard drive - do you guys have any ideas how to go

about doing this, ive seen plenty of topics on dual booting on a single drive with different partitions but nothing on dual hdd

configs (i know about ahci on xp but i got that covered).

Please help me guys im a college student in desperate need of logic but i simply cant afford a macbook pro and i cant afford to

waste money on a laptop that im not sure mac os will run on

Thanks in advance

One suggestion, if you can substitute the Intel 4965AGN NextGen card for the Dell TrueMobile 1505 by Broadcom, identical protocols but in hackintoshes, the latter seen as an AirPort Extreme with no additional kexts necessary, works flawlessly! Dell sells both for around $80 but the newer builds favor the Intel for some reason.

thanks for the advice theanine although im not that fussed on the wireless really.

i notice that you are using the xps 1530 which is another laptop i was considering what have you experiences been like with that notebook?

Thanks for the compilation of tips, really really handy.

I have had two successful installations using leo4all v3 on my XPS M1530, the DELL package works a treat too.

I have applied the UK keyboard layout but I still cannot make the 'windows' key work as an 'apple' key. can anyone tell me how to remap the key please?

Hey garybeard333, I have a 1720 and it works lovely with leopard. I have a Dell 1390 wireless card that works OOB. Macgirl's guide is very, very helpful. I'm triple booting with Vista, XP, and Leopard.

Hi,

I have solved problems with Time Machine in my Desktops (see signature). First, CI/QE was required for launching the program, so it did not work until I recovered CI/QE (thanks to Sonotone installer!!!). Then, I had errors generating backups due to problems with selecting the partition. I finally solved it going back to an oldmodified copy of IONetworkingFamily.kext. I am now waiting for a backup to finish.

This weekend I will update my XPS M1530 to 10.5.3 and I will tell you how it worked.

I've replaced the IONetworkingFamily.kext by the previous one I had in 10.5.2 and it TM doesn't work. I've just got back my mouse working. Could you post yours here so that I can make a try

Thanks

hello from russia, and sorry for my english :)

a have DELL V1400 with GF8400GS

a install macosx - Leo4Allv3, and have some questions:

don't work:

1) DVD-RW. OS don't see drive

2) Sound - i install STAC9228_0x83847616, sound settings appear, but no sound

3) i thing when i install video driver - NVInstallerV_41, notebook stopped normaly reeboot and turn off

4) SD/MMC card reader dont work

5) OS dont appear battary.

how a can fix it?

thanx! :)

1) Make sure you install Intel ICH8 driver. Look under Intel. That will let you see the DVD drive.

2) Use HDA Patch 1.6 the text dump

3) Shutdown/ Reboot won't work after video driver is installed (No fix yet)

4) No card reader driver for Mac

5) Install power management bundle under LeoV3

@yeye

The old copy of IONetworkingFamily.kext that solved my TM issues was this one. I used it in one Desktop, not in M1530 laptop, so I am not sure if it will work for you (and for me this weekend). Best luck...

http://rapidshare.com/files/118860900/IONetworkingFamily.kext.rar.html

Sietepicos

I saw the post :P it's just a habit of mine to say thanks anyways. It's good to know that little piece of information about ExpressCard slots. thanks.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can try to delete the AppleACPIThermal.kext

I did, and my lappy runs much better (cooler). It is inside the AppleACPIFamily.kext

and Macgirl, I have a problem with my 8400m gs. whenever I hit "Detect Displays" my laptop screen goes dark, and stays that way until reboot, got any advice. also it is a Dell monitor connected by VGA

AppleACPIThermal is not loaded even if it is there, at least with vanilla AppleACPIPlatform

For the detection are you using the correct NVCAP values?

Ok, i've installed update on my desktop computer, with an 8600gt: i've restored GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle, Geforce.kext and GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle, to get it working as before. This last kext appears necessary for 8xxx series.

EDIT: If someone can confirm for xps, thanks.

Trying that now.

EDIT: it worked.

I also reported same behaivor with 10.5.3 Nvidia kexts on my AMD rig, it has a Geforce 6600, which kexts shoud I restore there?