[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hello, im french user of the insanelymac forum, sorry if my english is very bad.

I have make a détailled list for the 1530 (because I think it is more interesting than the m1330 @ the same price of the macbook)

if you like, fill with me the list below :P

-Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5450

works like a charm

4GB Dual Channel 667MHz DDR2

HDMI

VGA

Firewire

ExpressCard

Bluetooth

These are working fine.

how did you get the ExpressCard working?

how did you get the ExpressCard working?

Because they work just inserting them, but of course depends on which kind and chipset. you chan check the WiKi for which components work.

Examples: if you have a n ExpressCard for Ethernet and it uses Realtek 8129 or 8169 chipset it should work, for WiFi Broadcom and Atheros shloud work, Firewire and USB cards should work, sound cards only if they have the supported chipsets (Audigy don't).

Hey macgirl,

Just want to say thanks heaps for the help with this. Really appreciate it. I am currently setting everything up for dual boot... just waiting for my wireless card to get here so i can have a truely mobile mac xps m1530. Anyone know if using express card wifi over inbuilt wifi affects battery life or range or anything at all?

Thanks heaps again, and dont be surprised when you have to field more stupid questions from me!

Cam

PS: I cannot currently get the battery meter or the dual finger scrolling working. Are these supported by Kalaway 10.5.1? I can upgrade for a bit as i have no download left! LOL

Hey, maybe this kext could help to map a key on the remote as ESC for FrontRow: http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

Don't know if sources are available.

Hi,

I've tried to install it but there is no way to do what we're looking for.

Maybe an apple script could do that but I don't know if that would work since applescript doesn't seem to work in FR

Have you got a tips for doublecommand macgirl?

BTW, Home & End keys like PC is a very good possibility (option available in doublecommand)

Hello,

I've found an other application (keyboard maestro) and I was able to set DELETE keys doing the same as ESCAPE (unfortunately, it can't work only in Front ROW) and it hasn't worked in FR, I mean that when I press DELETE key, it doesn't do anything whereas in other app, when I press DELETE, it does the same as ESC

So I think that a good solution would be to map stop key in ESC key (is it possible to have 2 esc keys?) and then STOP would do the same as ESC. If we can't have 2 ESC keys, it's not a problem since we can map key with keyboard maestro and it works perfectly.

So how could we proceed to change stop key in ESC key (STOP is currently seen as F18)?

edit: I've tried with ukelele but I wasn't able to set 2 ESC key neither to set F18 or even F3 as ESC key. Are you?

ps: I hope I'm understandable since I'm French

Thanks heaps again, and dont be surprised when you have to field more stupid questions from me!

The only stupid question is the one that is never asked, never be afraid of asking.

Hello,

I've found an other application (keyboard maestro) and I was able to set DELETE keys doing the same as ESCAPE (unfortunately, it can't work only in Front ROW) and it hasn't worked in FR, I mean that when I press DELETE key, it doesn't do anything whereas in other app, when I press DELETE, it does the same as ESC

So I think that a good solution would be to map stop key in ESC key (is it possible to have 2 esc keys?) and then STOP would do the same as ESC. If we can't have 2 ESC keys, it's not a problem since we can map key with keyboard maestro and it works perfectly.

So how could we proceed to change stop key in ESC key (STOP is currently seen as F18)?

You can look at the sources of ApplePS2Controller.kext, the mapping is in the ApplePS2Keyboard.kext files.

Right now I didn't test the doublecommand yet, but I will because I have a Wireless BT keyboard from MS that I want to test with this kext, also I will look at the sources, maybe a mapping could be done there.

You can look at the sources of ApplePS2Controller.kext, the mapping is in the ApplePS2Keyboard.kext files.

Right now I didn't test the doublecommand yet, but I will because I have a Wireless BT keyboard from MS that I want to test with this kext, also I will look at the sources, maybe a mapping could be done there.

I have take a lok at appleps2keyboard.kext but I wasn't able to understand how keys are mapped. Would you point me to a specific files and how I must open it (since I've read the .plist but nothing useful appears to be on them)

BTW, I've updated my previous post and don't know if you're read it so I'd like just to say it

Because they work just inserting them, but of course depends on which kind and chipset. you chan check the WiKi for which components work.

Examples: if you have a n ExpressCard for Ethernet and it uses Realtek 8129 or 8169 chipset it should work, for WiFi Broadcom and Atheros shloud work, Firewire and USB cards should work, sound cards only if they have the supported chipsets (Audigy don't).

huh, I didn't know that the expresscard slot was working, thanks anyways. ;)

Could you explain me how should I edit appleps2keyboard macgirl? I mean with which software and which files shoud l edit? (I'm currently downloading Xcode but I don't know if this is the good one)

Furthermore, I've looked into jape's file but there is no ESCAPE key so I don't know what is its code. Do you know it?

Thanks for your help

edit: I've downloaded XCode but I can't edit any files with it. I definitely need your help

I have an XPS 1530 from Best Buy.

1.83 Core 2 Duo

3GB Ram

250GB Hard Drive

Nvidia 8400 GS Graphics

I have everything working except sleep, restart, and shutdown. Sound works, the machine seems to run a little hot. That may be due to disk access. Is there a driver that has to be installed for the SATA?

Look some previous posts :), a ExpressCard slot i like a hotplug PCI-E slot.

I saw the post :P it's just a habit of mine to say thanks anyways. It's good to know that little piece of information about ExpressCard slots. thanks.

I have an XPS 1530 from Best Buy.

1.83 Core 2 Duo

3GB Ram

250GB Hard Drive

Nvidia 8400 GS Graphics

I have everything working except sleep, restart, and shutdown. Sound works, the machine seems to run a little hot. That may be due to disk access. Is there a driver that has to be installed for the SATA?

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can try to delete the AppleACPIThermal.kext

I did, and my lappy runs much better (cooler). It is inside the AppleACPIFamily.kext

and Macgirl, I have a problem with my 8400m gs. whenever I hit "Detect Displays" my laptop screen goes dark, and stays that way until reboot, got any advice. also it is a Dell monitor connected by VGA

Purchased from Dell EPP through school

2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo

4GB Ram

200GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

Nvidia 8600 GS Graphics

WSXGA+ resolution

Going on eBay as soon as Steve lets me in his private iPhone developer club.

Last one to update to 10.5.3 is a rotten egg.

hello,

another question: can we install 10.5.3 without any modification?

Moreover, could somebody answer to my previous question

edit: 10.5.2 method seems to work.

edit 2: it didn't work for me => KP on first reboot!

hello,

another question: can we install 10.5.3 without any modification?

Moreover, could somebody answer to my previous question

edit: 10.5.2 method seems to work.

I would like to know this also, Never had os x longer than a few days. haha

I kinda gave up on using my media remote for front row, but I have a pocket PC phone that I can use with salling clicker. I had used that before, but had forgotten how well it works. Check it out, if you need help with acquiring it :-) let me know.

Updated to 10.5.3. Don't forget to backup your old kexts, it is breaking a lot of things initially.

As I suspected, they released a new version of the iPhone SDK as well today and it specifically states that you must update to 10.5.3. I'm a Mac-tard. I feel lucky to have gotten installed and working thus far.

How do you back up kexts? Does that mean you have to re-install them afterwards? I don't even know how to do that. What all is not working after 10.5.3.

Edit: I found this here instruction (read that line in a country/hick voice) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89260

Is it as simple as buckup, update, restore?

Thanks.