[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

I've the same problem like Cristian but didn't succeed using butler because Front Row doesn't seem to be a normal application! butler doesn't work in it! Try it macgirl

Do you have the same problem Cristian?

I'll try it.

Yeye your signature is too big, please read and follow the Signature and Avatar Rules

EDIT:

I tried it, buttler does not take the key that Cristian want to use because is the same kay on the keyboard (backspace), Butler or any other App on Mac OS can differentiate if a key was pressed on the keyboard or the remote control.

This keys are not in the keyborad and maybe with some other application can be mapped.

> , ^ , v

Everything in front row works fine. up down left right select. The problem is that as soon as I press a key on my remote Front Row will exit. Now my strategy was to map some key on the remote to be used as [esc] which is what is needed for the retun to las menu feature... So yes YEYE we have the same problem...

While I have your guys attention. Has the shutdown restart issue been resolved? last three things I need to get my OS X box running 100%.

I've tried both iAtkos 2.0 and Leo4All v3 but neither seem to get me anywhere.

Unlike Leo4All, iAtkos will actually load the installer (Leo4All freezes seven lines after the boot option screen), though I've been running into a problem with the display after installation, upon reboot. The Darwin bootloader appears and -v works, but as soon as it goes into graphics mode, I see a blue screen for about two seconds, then it goes black. The system's not hung as I can still light up the caps lock key. I've no external monitors so I cannot tell if there is any output whatsoever.

This has occured to me with and without the x3100 driver installed. I've now tried about 15 different installs and none've worked properly. Each time I've selected a different patch/driver/option in iAtkos, though I've also tried no extras at all.

Does anyone have any advice?

N3maN you installed with a 10.5.1 DVD choosing Nvidia laptop option but Nvidia 10.5.1 kexts don't work with 8x00 cards (except 8800) until 10.5.2, so the first step is getting rid of Nvidia 10.5.1 kexts, as you can boot with -s option you need to mount your Mac disk as writeable and then erase at least NVDAResman.kext, then you can be in GUI mode to make the proper update to 10.5.2 and use the Dell package.

To mount the disk type "mount -uw /" then erase the kext with "rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext" then you can continue typing "exit" or you can reboot typing "reboot", the system should be in GUI.

MacGirl, do you have any advice for me?

I'm looking for an installation guide for a recent (purchased in May) m1330 with Leopard 10.5.2 (iAtkos preferably as Leo4All v3 crashes during install).

I'm able to install iAtkos 2.0i, though I cannot advance beyond a black screen after a post-installation reboot.

Cheers.

Thanks, jake123.

From Taruga's forum:

"What is HDAEnabler.kext ?

HDAEnabler is the new kext that will replace ALCinject.kext

It has a more appropriate name than ALCinject (which was made with Realtek in mind)

HDAEnabler was coded by Kabyl with minor changes by me. It does the same as ALCinject but the most important extra thing it does is to replace the HDAudio Bus ID to HDEF instead of pcixxx,xxxx, AZAL,HDAC, etc

This enables the system profiler to report info about audio, I made some changes for compatibility with my next Patcher for displaying jack info/types/etc HDAEnabler was used with AD1988b installer, so users with it should see correct info.

Thank you Kabyl for this project, it was very nice to work with you. I´m very happy with the results we got."

I didn't knew about HDAEnabler, thanks for heads up.

Just tried it, system profiler shows information about audio as shown in screenshot, and now sound is automatically switched to headphones when plugged (and speakers mutes) [edit: works very rarely].

Mute and internal mic is still not supported.

Edit: Went back to using gfx-strings for sound. ALCinject/HDAEnabler rarely has working sound on cold boot (need to sleep to get sound), with gfx-string sound is mostly usable.

What does it shows in Verbose mode before black screen?

Regularly black screen means problem with graphics driver.

When I boot with -v everything appears to be fine. I suspect it's a problem with the graphic driver as well as it goes from verbose mode to a blue screen, to black. I've tried installing with the x3100 driver and with no drivers whatsoever. I'm not sure which files to remove.

Unrelated, I'm having a problem with the boot loader. If I partition the drive, I just see a blinking cursor. If I install only OS X, that's when I run into the first issue (that of the blue/black screen). I think it has something to do with not being able to install Darwin boot. I tried doing it manually through the terminal but it always says "resource busy" when I get to the bit about writing the EFI file. I'm not having any luck finding information on that. Curiously though, the hard drive (I've only one), went from disk0 to disk5 after I erased it. It's consistently been disk0 with every other install and I've changed nothing with my system.

There are two X3100 stickies threads on Harware -> Graphics Cards sub-forum, this card need some trick to enter in FULL GUI mode, one of the trick is to sleep corner, but you should check those trheads.

I didn't knew about HDAEnabler, thanks for heads up.

Just tried it, system profiler shows information about audio as shown in screenshot, and now sound is automatically switched to headphones when plugged (and speakers mutes) [edit: works very rarely].

Mute and internal mic is still not supported.

Edit: Went back to using gfx-strings for sound. ALCinject/HDAEnabler rarely has working sound on cold boot (need to sleep to get sound), with gfx-string sound is mostly usable.

Yeah me too, need to put in sleep mode to get sound, with gfx string on cold boot I get Speakers and headphones at the same time, I like that because I could have 4 speakers instead of just 2. I like that some day it can be used as 6 speakers system (5.1 like windows).

hello,

I'm having issue with my left arrow key. Indeed, when I press it in whatever app it does the same as "page down key. My right, up and down keys work well

The problem isn't linked with my keyboard layout because I've tried to change it and I've the same problem.

So what's wrong?

If you were messing with butler, make sure that you didn't leave some type of key stroke that makes the left arrow the page down button.

I remember we were trying to change the FrontRow keys.

Hello, im french user of the insanelymac forum, sorry if my english is very bad.

I have make a détailled list for the 1530 (because I think it is more interesting than the m1330 @ the same price of the macbook)

if you like, fill with me the list below :blink:

Dell XPS m1530

General

Reboot [NO]

Shutdown [NO]

Sleep [With Devilhood's methode ? (look in the first post)]

Speedstep [With Devilhood's methode ? (look in the first post)]

Power Management [With Devilhood's methode ? (look in the first post)]

2 fingers scroll [Yes]

Fingerprint scanner [Yes with Upek software]

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T9xxx [Yes]

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T8xxx [Yes]

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T7xxx [Yes]

Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T5450 [Yes]

Memory

4GB Dual Channel 667MHz DDR2 [Yes]

3GB Dual Channel 667MHz DDR2 [Yes]

nVidia Graphics

256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT [Yes with NVinstaller]

Screen

15.4" Wide Screen [Yes]

SATA hard drive

320GB configured with a single 5400 RPM SATAII hard drive. [Yes] (xbench test for an idea of the disk speed ?)

Optical Storage

Slot Load DVD+/-RW [Yes]

I/O Ports

S-Video [?]

3 USB 2.0 [Yes]

HDMI [Yes]

VGA [Yes]

Firewire (IEEE 1394a) [Yes]

RJ45 Ethernet port (10/100) [NO]

8-in-1 card reader [NO]

1 ExpressCard 54 mm slot [Yes]

Stereo in [NO]

headphone [experimental]

speaker out (x2) [experimental]

dual digital array mics [NO]

Power

9-cell 85WHr Li-Ion Battery [Yes] (lifetime ?)

6-cell 56WHr Li-Ion Battery [Yes] (lifetime ?)

Camera

Integrated 2.0 MP camera [Yes]

Wi-Fi Options:

(Original) Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini Card [NO]

(Optional) Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N [Yes]

Others:

Bluetooth® 2.0 [Yes]

:)

Geysa:

On the french web site, You can order a Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N (out-of-the-box) for your xps Laptop. Just ask by phone.

Yes, i have read this on the french forum :).

Thanks sonotone, i have edited my post for add the out-of-box dell 1505 :blink:

If you were messing with butler, make sure that you didn't leave some type of key stroke that makes the left arrow the page down button.

I remember we were trying to change the FrontRow keys.

You were right I've done a stupid mistake assigning a shortcut for VLC. BTW, it was for the remote and I've set the left and right arrow key to turn the volume up and down but I've forgotten to set this shortcut only in VLC

Anyway, did you find any way to do the same as "ESC" key in front row?

No, I wasn't able to figure out front row...but with the prograqm called proxi or something like that...I was getting close. There was an option to make the computer think you were using an airclick or what ever its called...It looked really promising. look at that one, I am currently in the process of installing/downloading Iatkos v2.oi. The kalaway cd was giving too many problems.

I will join you on our quest for front row in a little bit hahah.

Hello, im french user of the insanelymac forum, sorry if my english is very bad.

I have make a détailled list for the 1530 (because I think it is more interesting than the m1330 @ the same price of the macbook)

if you like, fill with me the list below :wacko:

4GB Dual Channel 667MHz DDR2

HDMI

VGA

Firewire

ExpressCard

Bluetooth

These are working fine.