[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetooth works fine out of box. Didn't need to downgrade firmware or boot in Windows at all.

I control it with the switch on the right side. It is off mostly, when I set it to on, it is automatically detected by system. You can't disable it through software, have to use the switch to disable.

The Wi-Fi Catcher can be disabled via BIOS.

Just a side note, no BIOS modification is necessary to repair the Vista boot loader, just activate the Vista partition prior to repairing it. Enter the CMD and type in DISKPART, SELECT DISK 0, SELECT PARTITION 1, ACTIVE. Use the LIST PARTITION command to establish the correct enumerator values for your system. Few guides mention it but this issue is caused by most OSX Distros deactivating the primary Vista partiton, Leo4allv3 does not do that so it causes no such issues. Also, I have personallly not seen any evidence that the flash module does anything detrimental to the OSX installation. On the XPS M1530, no BIOS change to install any of the Leopard Distros is truly necessary; I have succeded with all the latest Leo Distros (iATKOS 2.0i, Kalyway 10.5.2, Leo4all3, JaS 10.5.2) using default BIOS settings.

Thanks, yes you are right. In fact one of the many times I had to repair the vista partition I did it this way. Just have a recollection problem thats all! Also the default bios settings is what I used for the Leo install but it is when I needed to repair MBR or ghost (using DigiWiz MiniPE boot cd) I had to make these changes. I've been through a lot in the last few weeks and its hard to remember everything!

Hello Everyone,

I have one problem and wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issue. When my M1330 comes out of sleep I noticed that firefox, sometimes other application will not respond properly. If I leave firefox open when I put it to sleep, after I wake it up, I am unable to change tabs in firefox for 2-3 minutes. I can create a new tab and surf all I want. But cant go back to the those other tabs for a while. If I do not have firefox open when I go to sleep, it will just sit there in the dock and bounce if I click on it after sleep.

I am using the firefox 3 beta, so I'm wondering if that is the issue. Anyone else notice this issues?

Cody

Problems, nuances:
  • Sound cannot be muted plus if I put headphones in, I still hear sound through the speakers too. :-( May be fixed with new sound drivers later.
  • Shutdown / Restart problem (known issue caused by the graphics driver)
  • DVD drive not recognised. Have not done too much to work this one out yet as its not that urgent yet.

Apart from that I am very pleased with the setup. It boots faster than Vista, seems to last longer on the battery and I can run my Cisco VPN client and remote desktop software to do my work stuff from it too!

You can choose the Headphones only (speakers are muted with this option, but you need to connect on the 2nd jack or middle jack):

Picture_1.jpg

For recognition of DVD drive try to use the Original IOATAFamily.kext

There is a Cisco VPN client for Mac OS.

Speaker sound automatically mutes when I plug in the headphones, but it doesn't automatically switch to headphone output.

There is a useful menubar item called SoundMenu that you can use to easily change the output.

Hello Everyone,

I have one problem and wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issue. When my M1330 comes out of sleep I noticed that firefox, sometimes other application will not respond properly. If I leave firefox open when I put it to sleep, after I wake it up, I am unable to change tabs in firefox for 2-3 minutes. I can create a new tab and surf all I want. But cant go back to the those other tabs for a while. If I do not have firefox open when I go to sleep, it will just sit there in the dock and bounce if I click on it after sleep.

I am using the firefox 3 beta, so I'm wondering if that is the issue. Anyone else notice this issues?

Cody

I have pretty much the same problem. I have bookmarks in my menu bar that won't show up either when I wake it up if firefox was open when I put it to sleep. Safari seems to be fine but I seldom use it.

You can choose the Headphones only (speakers are muted with this option, but you need to connect on the 2nd jack or middle jack):

post-123-1211394740_thumb.jpg

For recognition of DVD drive try to use the Original IOATAFamily.kext

There is a Cisco VPN client for Mac OS.

Thanks very much for the info :-)

I used the IOATAFamily.kext linked from this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88335

and my dvd drive worked straight away after a reboot! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

And yes I have the Cisco VPN client and it works better than in Vista!

Speaker sound automatically mutes when I plug in the headphones, but it doesn't automatically switch to headphone output.

There is a useful menubar item called SoundMenu that you can use to easily change the output.

oh :shock: it behaves different on the M1330, because when you insert in the 1st headphone jack speakers don't mute.

Tkanks for the SoundMenu tip, I was looking for something like that, I thought that I could set a shortcut on Butler to change the sound output.

oh :( it behaves different on the M1330, because when you insert in the 1st headphone jack speakers don't mute.

Tkanks for the SoundMenu tip, I was looking for something like that, I thought that I could set a shortcut on Butler to change the sound output.

Neither of my headphones jack work, nor does my mic (for headphones)... anyone know a fix, the speakers work...

Also, do you guys think with 10.5.3 we will get our reboot issue fixed? Then what else is there to fix besides memory card?

Upon the receipt of my notebook from Dell, the Bluetooth while being recognized by the pre loader, was not detected by any OS, including Vista, Leo, Red Hat, however the BT light indicator worked as it is dictated by the BIOS. Since I have installed the Vista Ultimate as a replacement of the original Vista Home Premium, Dell would not support this issue claiming software incompatibility, so I've reinstalled the Dell's original Vista, needless to say the BT remained unresponsive so Dell unleashed an overnight tech to install the new 355 module which meant that I had to KILL Leo, :( so I did what I ought to have done to begin with, opened up the notebook to find the BT cable barely connected to the board, :D after properly connecting it, voila enter the Bluetooth, fully and instantly recognized by both OS's. All ADD ON components are configured post install in the USA :wacko: , so BT was added after the original base system was compiled in China, perhaps there is a pattern here and your BT is also "not quite" connected, either way it is worth a shot.

I check bios, it show internal bluetooth installed, but the light indicator is off, the bluetooth worked fine with preload windows from Dell, but I don't know for sure that it stops working before or after I reinstall OS. Like you said, I tried Vista, Leo, and Ubuntu, non of those OS could recognize it :(

I contacted dell about this issue, but they said since it's purchased from Bestbuy, so I had to bring it there. I went to Bestbuy this morning, those freaking dude at the computer service know nothing they said they couldn't do anything, they had to ship it to somewhere else and it would take about 2-3 weeks, blah blah... :(

I'm going to try to open it :), it's worth a shot than waiting 2-3 weeks :(

did you turn the bluetooth switch off? Right side, under the remote?

of course I turned it on! the switch is for both Wi-fi and bluetooth, wi-fi is working fine. I've checked everthing.

I just open it up to check the connector, it's connected firmly! but I still can't activate the bluetooth. Bios shows it's installed, but windows doesn't show nothing, the light indicator is blind. I contact dell support but they said since it's sold by Bestbuy the coudn't do anything about it. Bestbuy said they would fix it in 2-3 weeks (for a single problem)! Bestbuy should change to Worstbuy :2cents::wacko: . I'm thinking to buy the bluetooth adapter at dell.com and replace it myself (it's about $26 shipped) or take it to Worstbuy and wait 2-3 weeks. Has any1 here ever dealt with Bestbuy warranty?

any suggestion?

@Kotori:

Please Don't post direct links to my package. It's still in Beta, and this link is obsolete. Just post link to my topic where people can download lastest versions.

Thanks a lot.

edited, sorry I didn't know about that :2cents:

Hey guys,

Im a total newb at this, and have had some issues. At first, i couldnt get it to install at all, but since then i have done a lot of reading and have quite a bit more success. I am instally Leopard using Kallaway 10.5.1 onto an external harddrive. The hardrive has only the one partition so i installed as MBR. I used the Nvidia Laptop option, and installed all the vanilla kernels. This has worked fine, and i am able to start the boot process using the harddrive. I run into isssues in the boot process though. I started in GUI free mode (is that what it's called?... where you use the -s option), but the install hangs at usr/sbin/ospd[74]: starting. anyone know what could be causing this? im running a Dell XPS M1530, 2.0ghz core 2 duo, 3g ram, 256m nVidia 8600gt, 220g 7200RPM HDD... running OSX off 150G Western Digital 2.5" External.

Sorry guys, i am having a hard time getting my head around all of this.

Thanks heaps in advance

Cam

of course I turned it on! the switch is for both Wi-fi and bluetooth, wi-fi is working fine. I've checked everthing.I just open it up to check the connector, it's connected firmly! but I still can't activate the bluetooth. Bios shows it's installed, but windows doesn't show nothing, the light indicator is blind. I contact dell support but they said since it's sold by Bestbuy the coudn't do anything about it. Bestbuy said they would fix it in 2-3 weeks (for a single problem)! Bestbuy should change to Worstbuy :):wacko: . I'm thinking to buy the bluetooth adapter at dell.com and replace it myself (it's about $26 shipped) or take it to Worstbuy and wait 2-3 weeks. Has any1 here ever dealt with Bestbuy warranty?any suggestion?
Retail days are almost at an end, next decade will usher in the age of the "total internet", at least for the industrialized nations, only food would be bought in a regular way.When you opened up your notebook, did you also lift the keyboard to check the connection? That is exactly where mine was disconnected, not at the Bluetooth point of contact, but at the motherboard connection point, I only looked there out of curiosity rather than purpose, I suppose this one time the feline went unharmed....
Hey guys,Im a total newb at this, and have had some issues. At first, i couldnt get it to install at all, but since then i have done a lot of reading and have quite a bit more success. I am instally Leopard using Kallaway 10.5.1 onto an external harddrive. The hardrive has only the one partition so i installed as MBR. I used the Nvidia Laptop option, and installed all the vanilla kernels. This has worked fine, and i am able to start the boot process using the harddrive. I run into isssues in the boot process though. I started in GUI free mode (is that what it's called?... where you use the -s option), but the install hangs at usr/sbin/ospd[74]: starting. anyone know what could be causing this? im running a Dell XPS M1530, 2.0ghz core 2 duo, 3g ram, 256m nVidia 8600gt, 220g 7200RPM HDD... running OSX off 150G Western Digital 2.5" External.Sorry guys, i am having a hard time getting my head around all of this.Thanks heaps in advanceCam
-S is a Single (Super) user administrative mode. This question is more up the MacGirl's alley as she is indeed an expert, but why not try the latest distro such as the Kalyway 10.5.2, Leo4allv3, JaS 10.5.2, iATKOS 2.0i etc. All easily obtainable via various torrents. The distros improve with every single release, they are in constant evolution. Besides, with any 10.5.1 release, you'd have to download and manually install the major 10.5.2 update, why not eliminate that altogether? You will have much more success with the newest possible Leo as it would allow for better Intel compatibility and driver variety. You have a late model notebook that is quite fast, there is no reason why a proper installation should fail. Also, when customizing, only choose the required kexts during the initial installation to avoid possible conflicts, you can always load others post install once the Leo is running. Good Luck.

Retail days are almost at an end, next decade will usher in the age of the "total internet", at least for the industrialized nations, only food would be bought in a regular way.When you opened up your notebook, did you also lift the keyboard to check the connection? That is exactly where mine was disconnected, not at the Bluetooth point of contact, but at the motherboard connection point, I only looked there out of curiosity rather than purpose, I suppose this one time the feline went unharmed....

the connector is attached with the motherboard very tight! The problem is Bios recognizes Bluetooth but the BT indicator is off. I'm afraid if the motherboard is defective, that could be a big problem! I might have to bring it to Bestbuy later today:(

lastnight, I had a fight with dell support, they blamed their policy and refused to send me the replacement!

hello, can anyone help me ? dell xps M1330. whats about w-lan (next gen wireless pci card), truemobile bluetooth and ethernet. i´am running leo4all v3 with vanilla 9.2.2 and there are some problems with bluetooth, w-lan, dvd writer.

thanx for help, musikusmint

yeye,

How hot does your laptop get? I notice that mine is much hotter when it's charging. I'm currently ripping a dvd with Handbrake and my cpu is at 89C. At idle it usually sits around 58-60C.

Cody

Hi,

I've well installed your software and now I get my temp. For 2 days, it has been under 50C for the two cores (the core n°2 is always 2°C more than core n°1, why?)

Now, I've a long battery life indicated (sometimes it says me 4h, maybe when I'm on "Save Battery life" on Vista, it needs to be checked) but my laptop is running at 70C even if I don't do anything on it!

Is it the same for you?

Any one know how to change the key on the remote that is currently mapped to backspace to escape instead?

Im talking about the key inter the left arrow key. I want to set it up to use in front row to go back to last menu...

thanks.