[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Hi to everyone!! Macgirl, muchisimas gracias for all you help! Everywhere people with Dell xps laptops, xps 1530 in particular, sau that the Bluetooth and Webcam work out of the box. But when I try to run a BT utility on my XPS 1530 with Leo Kallyway

10.5.2 it says that no BT device was detected. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!!

I'm trying to install OSX on my m1330. I got the Kalyway 10.5.2 Install Disk, but the Installation hangs at

using ... buffer headers and ...cluster IObuffer headers<BR>  IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

I saw some more people with these Problems on the forums, some solved by disabling all onboard devices or removing the DVD at this stage and reinserting it. Nothing of this helped.

Which Version will install on my Device?

All 10.5.1 distos will install with no problem.

For the 10.5.2 they've changed some plist file with experimental features that hang on many inspirons and vostros!

The only way i've found is to patch the install dvd with kexts from a working install:(

Check that you have the ORIGINAL (and most recent) IOATAFamily.kext, the DVD is attached connected on IDE, the HD on SATA (unles you specify oher in BIOS, which I believe is not the case because it wont boot if the HD was recognized as IDE)

If you have it already installed check with kextstat or System Profiler if the IOATA kexts and AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext are loaded, if not try to load it manually.

Thanks for your help. I figured it out. Reinstalled Leo again with Intel ICH driver and it found the DVD drive just fine. Also I didn't have the problem with shutting down or restarting until I install Nvidia driver. I am using 9.2.2 vanilla kernel. I'm going to try Netkas new kernel with restart/shutdown fix to see if that would work. I have the Dell XPS M1530, 4GB RAM, 8600GT got it through slickdeals for $962. Now booting with Leo 10.5.2, Vista Ultimate and XP using Acronis Boot Selector.

Does the ExpressCard port work? I want to add a gigibit ExpressCard such as this one: http://www.small-tree.com/ProductDetails.a...;Show=TechSpecs to my XPS M1530. I've scoured the internet, and I can't find anyone mentioning using the port on an XPS M1530 or M1330. I guess I'll be the McGuinness pig.

I have tested witha Gigabit ExpressCard and it worked fine for me.

Cheers!

Thanks for your help. I figured it out. Reinstalled Leo again with Intel ICH driver and it found the DVD drive just fine. Also I didn't have the problem with shutting down or restarting until I install Nvidia driver. I am using 9.2.2 vanilla kernel. I'm going to try Netkas new kernel with restart/shutdown fix to see if that would work. I have the Dell XPS M1530, 4GB RAM, 8600GT got it through slickdeals for $962. Now booting with Leo 10.5.2, Vista Ultimate and XP using Acronis Boot Selector.

Also being a new installer of Leo4Allv3 on M1330 and not seeing my DVD after installing, I pulled AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and IOATAFamily.kext off the DVD on another machine and put on a USB stick, then used b7 on the M1330 to load them and rebooted and Voila! DVD is working now. Thank you macgirl and notworthy.

I have gone the long way around on my install and ran into a snag that research has not solved. I kept partition 1 (Dell Utility), partition 2 (RECOVERY), partition 3 (OS (the Vista partition)), and deleted the data partition 4 (Media Direct). I then shrank partition 3 and claimed that space and the space from the deleted partition 4 and created a new partition 4 using partition manager. I then formatted HFS+ and installed Leo4Allv3 on the new partition and of course kept getting the lovely HFS+ Partition Error and tried all the remedies settling on booting from the Leo DVD with the -s option and running "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" then "flag 4" (for my partition). Now when I try to do this, I suceed in getting darwin bootloader to come up ok and load leo fine, but then I can't boot Vista by choosing F8 and selecting it. I had backed up the main partition .mbr and if I resore it, I can boot Vista fine, but get the lovely HFS+ Partition Error. I also tried using GAG bootloader which is what I use on an older PD Laptop and other Desktop's I hacked previously with 10.4.8 with no problems.

Any suggestions?

I am trying to avoid having to come up with a stand alone Windows installers for this machine by keeping the installed OS intact because Dell does not ship a Standalone OS reinstall disk with it.

I do realize that if I had a standalone Vista install disc, I could avoid this issue by repartitioning and reformatting with 2 partitions and putting OSX on partition 1 to handle the loading issues and put Vista on partition 2, but am trying work out a workaround.

BTW, when I get a chance and finish checking out all functions, I will itemize the successful steps and selections using the Leo installation and post them. So far today I have gotten the OS working fine, USB seems to fine, Video is now fine using NVinstaller4.1 with netkas kernel patch as per johnniecarcinogen,s link I followed from your link macgirl, audio working via the downloaded STAC9228_0x83847616.zip that you provided the link to macgirl, Wireless 1505, working without mods, etc. The DVD was issue solved as per my notes above.

Still need to check the external VGA and HDMI ports (don't have and HDMI TV or monitor though), perform either manual keyboard mapping as I have done in the past or use one of the mapping util's you provided links to so I can also gain function of the media control keys above the keyboard, install fingerprint reading software, fully test sleep, wakeup, and powermanagement functions, install and test my main suites of app's: Adobe CS3MC, Macromedia FreeHand 11 and Director MX 04, Final Cut Studio 2.0 (Waiting on approval to purchase this one so will hold off on installing my 5.0 HD), and QuarkXpress 7.0. I will post findings when I get these tested.

P.S. I know I read it here but could not find it here when looking again (guess it's been a long day and I start school again tomorrow), what is the terminal command that I can run to test and verify that QE and CI are indeed fully functioning?

Thanks in advance, and, for a great forum and especially for your efforts and time here macgirl! I just found this forum last night and glad I did!

RLB

I see that DELL has posted a A10 bios for XPSM1330, I will dl it later, but anyone tried it yet?

This is what Dell writes:

1. Improve compatibility with Dell Wireless 1390 & 1490 Dell WLAN.

2. Improve system performance on Resume from S3 with Driver Verifier enabled.

3. Added enhancement for optical drives.

Hello, My DELL xps 1330 specs are:

bios: dell A09 3/2/2008

core2 duo T7250

2gb memory 250 gb disk

intel gma 965 express

wireless: dell 1490 dual band wlan

broadcom netlink fast ethernet

sigmatel hda codec

that's basically what i want to work on osx.

What osx86 dvd /installer should i download? I would appreciate if you could tell me what are the gotchas in my configuration.

Thanks

The Shutdown/Restart issue is not fixed by the Kernel with shutdown fix as it is stated on the 1st post. Right now there is no fix, the only way is to delet the Nvidia kexts but you will loose the acceleration and the ability to sleep the display and the system.

I have tested witha Gigabit ExpressCard and it worked fine for me.

Cheers!

Thanks, I will modify the 1st post to report this.

I see that DELL has posted a A10 bios for XPSM1330, I will dl it later, but anyone tried it yet?

This is what Dell writes:

Thanks Superhai, downloaded and installing.

Sleep is not controled by BIOS, there is just S3 from BIOS on these laptops, with pmset command you can have differernt ways to sleep, Sleep just put the PC to "Sandby mode", Safe Sleep put the PC to Standby but before it save memory to disk, so if the power is loss it can be recovered from disk, but I think this does not work on Hacintoshes because boot process on Hackintosh is diferent from Real Macs (EFI), there are other sets to Sleep like secure safe sleep (where the contents of the memory save to the disk are encrypted) or hybernate, and so on, you can see the manual of pmset writing man pmset on Terminal.

Hello,

is it normal that my macintosh is so hot? I mean that when I put my hand in front of the ventilation, I can just let it there a few seconds, then it becomes too hot! Fans don't seem to be running. I'm affraid that my lappy turn itself like yours macgirl!

I downloaded Iatkos 1.0i r3 but i was unable to install it in my M1330. No access to my hard disk. System information reports that there is no SATA controller. Should I download another dvd? are there any patches for my SATA controller (Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller )?

thanks.

my lspci is this:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Contoller #4 (rev 02)

00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)

00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)

00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)

00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)

00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)

00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)

03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)

03:01.1 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)

03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)

03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)

03:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11a/b/g (rev 01)

I downloaded Iatkos 1.0i r3 but i was unable to install it in my M1330. No access to my hard disk. System information reports that there is no SATA controller. Should I download another dvd? are there any patches for my SATA controller (Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller )?

thanks.

my lspci is this:

Do you have the SATA disk in AHCI mode in BIOS?

My only OS is OS X, no copy of windows... so how do I update to A10? I'm having some wifi problems with WPA2 Enterprise networks and I hope it fixes the issues...

At least install WinXP or Vista Lite in a small partition.

My only OS is OS X, no copy of windows... so how do I update to A10? I'm having some wifi problems with WPA2 Enterprise networks and I hope it fixes the issues...

There is a dos version, so you could copy it to a memory stick and make it bootable, or a cd or whatever.

This is the one I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=280204315836

I believe that it's basically a Belkin card as the supplied manual had Belkin logo's on it.

So the description doesn't list OSX. Also, I read elsewhere that the Belkin OSX drivers don't work and that Belkin support says that OSX is not supported. What drivers did you use to get it to work in OSX?

Would anyone happen to know how I could change my NVCAP? I'm using an EFI string and I've searched around a bit but trying only ended up in a black screen on boot.

I've read that getting the right NVCAP will actually allow for the dual display and VGA/S-Video out to work in unison. If anyone can share any ideas/info with me I'd love it. In the meantime, back to testing and trying to figure it out :thumbsdown_anim:

So the description doesn't list OSX. Also, I read elsewhere that the Belkin OSX drivers don't work and that Belkin support says that OSX is not supported. What drivers did you use to get it to work in OSX?

If the Express Card has any of the chipsets that PCI cards have that work for Mac OS you don't need any special driver, check the WIKI for Networking PCI cards.

The Express Card por is like another PCI-E slot (with hotplug capabilities of course).

If the Express Card has any of the chipsets that PCI cards have that work for Mac OS you don't need any special driver, check the WIKI for Networking PCI cards.

The Express Card por is like another PCI-E slot (with hotplug capabilities of course).

Yep, I just plugged it in and it worked. :)