[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

Got 10.6.2 up and running on my M1530, sound/graphics/sleep/restart/mic/ethernet all working perfectly.

Only issues that remain to be fixed:

USB Drive wakeup on sleep

Poor Webcam Performance (Hardware Limitation, not OS X's fault)

Expect a guide either Saturday or Sunday of the week after next, if people could email me the proper DSDT's for the following processors w. Nvidia 8600m Graphics I can include them in the ZIP.

Proccessor List (M1530)

T8100

T8300

T9300

T9500

This DSDT should fix your sound issues (This is a CPU specific DSDT for M1530 T8300 8600MGT and it has all the fixes except the SMBUS devices fix). Also use the VoodooHDA from here (first post, latest attachment marked snow 252) to fix sleep issues with voodoo.

I am also attaching the smbios.plist that you need for your system. Just make sure you change the smuuid to match the one you have in PlatformUUID.kext.

Thank you once again talisman. Everything is now up and running pretty smoothly. I installed 10.6.2 today and had a bit of a scare with the HDMI port causing the system to hard lock. It appears to be a known issue though. More info and a fix can be found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...96878&st=80

I also got the Dell Wireless 1395 card up and running again as well. After some more stability testing to make sure all is in order, I will write up a guide with my files.

Thanks again everyone!

What sort of battery life is everyone seeing under SL? Best I've gotten in testing with WiFi on and a six cell was 1.25 hours, albeit booted off an external HD. It's roughly 45 minutes worse then then Leo, and about 1.5 hours short of Windows, but I've yet to pinpoint the cause of it

What sort of battery life is everyone seeing under SL? Best I've gotten in testing with WiFi on and a six cell was 1.25 hours, albeit booted off an external HD. It's roughly 45 minutes worse then then Leo, and about 1.5 hours short of Windows, but I've yet to pinpoint the cause of it

It's because C-states aren't yet working. Not sure if anyone has worked that out yet.

It's because C-states aren't yet working. Not sure if anyone has worked that out yet.

I was under the impression that P-States played the larger role in power consumption, but apparently not. They were working under Leo, any knowledge if it was a kernel level change that's broken it and will take a while to fix, or are we just waiting to come up with a proper method of implementing it in DSDT/Kext

I was trying some stuff out tonight, using different values for the smbios to change between MacPro 5,1 and 3,1. I normally use 5,1 but read further back that 3,1 is a better match for my laptop (XPS M1330).

This is my current smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>SMbiosvendor</key>
 <string>Apple Inc.</string>
 <key>SMbiosversion</key>
 <string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>
 <key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
 <string>Dell Inc.</string>
 <key>SMboardproduct</key>
 <string>XPS M1330</string>
 <key>SMexternalclock</key>
 <string>200</string>
 <key>SMfamily</key>
 <string>Mac</string>
 <key>SMmanufacter</key>
 <string>Apple Inc.</string>
 <key>SMmaximalclock</key>
 <string>2100</string>
 <key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
 <key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
 <key>SMmempart_1</key>
 <string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
 <key>SMmempart_2</key>
 <string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
 <key>SMmemserial_1</key>
 <string>00FF0000</string>
 <key>SMmemserial_2</key>
 <string>000736TU</string>
 <key>SMmemspeed</key>
 <string>667</string>
 <key>SMmemtype</key>
 <string>19</string>
 <key>SMproductname</key>
 <string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
 <key>SMserial</key>
 <string>FBCD12345678</string>
 <key>SMsystemversion</key>
 <string>1.0</string>
 <key>SMboardid</key>
 <string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
 <key>SMboarduuid</key>
 <string>00000000-0000-0001-8000-001E4C6405B5</string>
 <key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
 <string>BANK</string>
 <key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>
 <string>DIMM_A</string>
 <key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
 <string>BANK</string>
 <key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>
 <string>DIMM_B</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I then changed:

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>

to

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MBP31.88Z.0070.B02.0706181323</string>

and

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>

to

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro3,1</string>

When I do this, speed step stops working. As far as I can tell, that's all that stops. Coolbook shows that the CPU frequency stays at 800hz (slowest) and the voltage never changes.

When I use the 5,1 versions, the CPU frequency and voltage change all the time. No difference in 32bit or 64bit.

I've uploaded both the smbios.plist files below.

Any ideas why this is the case?

Anyone?

Anyone?

This topic has been discussed in detail in the DSDT thread. In a nutshell, the number of power states on your machine (six) does not match the number of power states on MacBookPro3,1 (9 maybe?). MacBookPro5,1 allows any number of power states. To use MacBookPro3,1 you will have to custom edit your DSDT to add enough power states to match MacBookPro3,1. It is also possible to patch a plist file somewhere to make MacBookPro3,1 allow six power states. If you don't want to mess around with this stuff, I recommend that you just keep it set to MacBookPro5,1.

I was under the impression that P-States played the larger role in power consumption, but apparently not. They were working under Leo, any knowledge if it was a kernel level change that's broken it and will take a while to fix, or are we just waiting to come up with a proper method of implementing it in DSDT/Kext

I get about 3.5-4 hrs on a 9 cell with SL. Of course, I keep my display brightness really low as I like it that ways. P-states work in snow. You need the right DSDT and Vanilla speedstep works. Have a look at immo's guide on custom DSDT. Try using my version of the T8300 DSDT and remove any NullCPU or Disabler kexts and any VoodooPower you might have.

I get about 3.5-4 hrs on a 9 cell with SL. Of course, I keep my display brightness really low as I like it that ways. P-states work in snow. You need the right DSDT and Vanilla speedstep works. Have a look at immo's guide on custom DSDT. Try using my version of the T8300 DSDT and remove any NullCPU or Disabler kexts and any VoodooPower you might have.

It may have been that I was using SL from an external HD, but I'm definitely seeing less that 1/2 that on a six cell with brightness about midway, whereas I'd easily have 45 minutes to an hour longer in Leopard. While P-States are nice, C-States are where the real power savings are, and until we can get those working battery life will remain mediocre.

Strange,

I have the config as yours and i can't get more than 2 hours with it.

But as i work with my hack every day, battery are possibly near the end...

Josh.

It is very generic, so it should work on most setups, at least v1. When the new version RC3 of chameleon is out you can use it to boot Snow Leopard just fine.

hi Superhai,,

i also have an XPS M1330 and i'd like to dual boot mac OS X with windows 7 on the same hard drive. i don't understand which boot cd i have to choose on your download page.

If you can tell me how you did this on yours??

Thanks for your answers

Have any of you been able to get your hack to display only on an external monitor? I have only been able to mirror the screen and then I don't get the full resolution of my external monitor. I can run the external monitor as a secondary monitor but I can't ever get a closed lid full res display.

I know this has been an issue with real mac-books. I'm used to the fn-F8 key in Win7 but it doesn't work under snow. I'm running an XPS m1330 with NATIT.kext in my E/E.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

I've looked through the C-State thread a bit, but I'm not fully understanding what we need to do to get it fully working with our M1x30s, much like P-States, I'm assuming that a different one is needed for every processor, but I don't understand why we couldn't just move back to the VoodooPower model, which presumably had them working, unless SLs Power Management has changed that much.

Chryasor or Superhai, any input?

Have any of you been able to get your hack to display only on an external monitor? I have only been able to mirror the screen and then I don't get the full resolution of my external monitor. I can run the external monitor as a secondary monitor but I can't ever get a closed lid full res display.

Clamshell Mode is broken on our Hacks, but Mirror Mode is fully functioning with full resolution on the external monitor. Make sure you open up Display preferences and move the slider all the way to the right to ensure you're getting full resolution. Also, switch to DSDT, it's a far better system then dealing with NATIT et al.

hi Superhai,,

i also have an XPS M1330 and i'd like to dual boot mac OS X with windows 7 on the same hard drive. i don't understand which boot cd i have to choose on your download page.

If you can tell me how you did this on yours??

Thanks for your answers

I used the version 0.5 off of superhai's site. Worked like a charm

I will be writing up my guide tomorrow for installing and dual booting Win 7 and SL on my M1530. I'll post it once its complete.

This topic has been discussed in detail in the DSDT thread. In a nutshell, the number of power states on your machine (six) does not match the number of power states on MacBookPro3,1 (9 maybe?). MacBookPro5,1 allows any number of power states. To use MacBookPro3,1 you will have to custom edit your DSDT to add enough power states to match MacBookPro3,1. It is also possible to patch a plist file somewhere to make MacBookPro3,1 allow six power states. If you don't want to mess around with this stuff, I recommend that you just keep it set to MacBookPro5,1.

Thanks immo. I've been doing a bit of research and will leave it for now.

For Two finger scroll use the kexts attached below. Put them in /Extra/Extensions/ repair permissions and rebuild your Extensions.mkext in /Extra

To get the touchpad pref pane working:

copy it from the /System/Library/PreferencePanes into the desktop or somewhere and rename the original one in S/L/PP

No open Trackpad.prefPane/Contents/Info.plist and delete these two keys

NSPrefPaneIOServiceAttributesToMatch and NSPrefPaneIOServiceToMatch and their contents

Reinstall the prefpane by double clicking on it.

For sleep you need custom DSDT: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

I did what you told me for the 2 finger scroll and I still can't get it to work, in the modified prefpane I don't have anything for enable 2finger I just have click tap. I don't know what i'm doing wrong :(

Can someone with a Dell xps m1530 (with working 2 finger scroll) send me his ps2 kext and modified or alternative trackpad prefpane please ?

I tried everything all this afternoon and nothing is working :(

Thank you.

Hi I was finally able to install SL on xps M1330 but i can only boot with the preboot dell cd.

i have tried the rc installer and rc4 they both show me the apple but then i get a greay screen saying that I have to restart and turon of the computer.

can someone help me please