[Compilation] Dell XPS M1330, M1530, Vostro 1400, 1700, Inspiron 1420, 1520, 1720

macgirl

4,332 posts in this topic

To anyone who is interested:

I solved my low graphics performence doing the following:

1. Install Injector (Nvkush, nvinject, ....)

2. queck if resolution and qe/ci work

3. perform test using OpenGL Extensions Viewer (for 8600m GT: ~100 points = bad, ~800 points is good :)

4. If you get bad results, let display sleep and wake again (you can do so via exposée corners or SleepDisplay.app (forum))

5a. Test again: if the results are good, there is nothing else to do. Just let display sleep after every restart and you have got full performence. You can also let the mac autostart SleepDisplay.app.

5b. If the results are still bad, download XCode (apple.com), install it and run Quartz Debug. Go to Tools - Disable QE, the go to Tools and Enable QE again. Finally, do NOT close the app, but open activity monitor and force the process to quit instead.

Then let the display sleep and run the test again. You should now get full performence. Remember that you will still have to sleep the display after every restart.

I do not know why it only worked for me after disabling and enabling qe againe via QuartzDebug, but however, it did the trick.

To anyone who is interested:

I solved my low graphics performence doing the following:

Sorry to disappoint you, but its a long solved problem!!

Nvidia 8600M GT guide

Now back to the USB/Sleep problem. Somehow, loading both the VoodooUSBEHCI and the Slice modded IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass corrupts the extension cache. So if one boots with the -f flag hence rebuilding the cache, everything works fine.... ideas??

First of all, thanks for all the great tips shown in this thread.

Now my question: Has anyone managed to get S/PDIF out working on a sigmatel 9205? Most Dell's have the ability to output a digital coax signal through a 7-pin s-video adapter, which can be purchased at Dell's online store.

Until now I still haven't found any .kexts which enable the digital output, but I'm sure that someone with more knowledge will be able to build a working extension based on this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127819

From what I see on the screenshots posted by Slice on this topic (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=141033&view=findpost&p=1037852), he has managed to enable S/PDIF under the sound menu. Unfortunately his kext only works for stac 9228 and not for 9205. Maybe just slightly modifying his kext is enough to enable digital output in our 9205s. Internal and external mic is working on my vostro, as well as autoswitching between internal and external speakers. The only features I miss are S/PDIF out and the ability to adjust the mic input level.

THX for your help ;)

Hello,

I've just received a Dell 1505 wifi card that i bought on Ebay.

I was just tired to wait for the intel drivers release even if MercurySquad is working hard on it and we know he's a good worker.

Anyway, i installed it just like Wingrunr21 told us to do (Thanks for the update guide) but i notice problems.

I've received the "MX846 Rev A03" card and i don't know if you guys has got the same one but i get, like with the AppleYukon2 drivers, a wrong Mac Address.

The big problem is that i'm, sometimes, unable to connect to Wep networks.

Finally, i've got :

- 00:11:22:33:44:55 as Mac Address for my Ethernet card

- 00:22:33:44:55:66 as Mac Address for my wifi card

Also, SystemProfiler detects the wifi card as a third party device...

So i've got 2 questions (eheh, you know i've got some... lol)

1) Did you guys got same issue or not?

2) Can a Dsdt patch solve these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Joshua.

I thought Slice's USB kexts were already modded to support sleep. Superhai's are designed to be used with vanilla IOUSBFamily kexts only.

Yes they are supposed to have sleep in them.... but doesn't work for the 1530. Not mine at least. I need Voodoo to sleep, but apparently the two together is corrupting the caches. Voodoo loads and works but only if you flush the cache everytime you boot. I tried doing that by addin the -f flag to com.apple.Boot.plist and sleep works fine but that breaks my media keys!! I love my media keys more than my sleep... so I took it off..... ideas??

Wingrunr21, no i can't...

That means you do not have the same problem i guess...

Also, Talisman, do you have a dsdt as it seems that i've got quite the same Hackintosh as yours. It could probably help...

Thanks.

Hmm, why are you using Slice's kexts over vanilla? Any reason in particular?

overshoot, can you manually set the mac address for your cards? I'm not sure why your wifi's mac address isn't being correctly picked up.

I thought that USB transfers did seem a bit slow.... so I thought Id give this a shot..... Not really sure if it made it a whole lot faster....

Yes, I took this as a reference. The interesting thing was that I didn't get full performence although qe was already supported by installing the injector. So I found the solution for MY problem (no one answered when I asked for suggestions). :)

Not really trying to contest your efforts.... just that the Quartz Debug trick and the Sleep Display trick is well documented in that guide. Besides I was able to get ~1600 fps in OpenGL viewer....

Sorry for not helping you out earlier... I was swamped for the last few weeks....

Talisman,

Up Please!

Thanks.

Sorry, I missed your post....

I have a 1490 in my machine and not a 1505. I do not have a DSDT as that proved to be more of a problem than a help. My install runs fine without the DSDT patch. Are you sure you got a 1505?? Because some of these cards sell as 1505 but are really third party replacements. Check for the Dell part number. I would assume 1505 would not give much trouble to run.

wingrunr21 I looked up your guide again. You might want to add 1490 to the list of cards that work out of the box..... thanks.

Hello,

I was thinking about installing MAC OS on my m1330 but had a few questions to ask first:

1-) How stable does the system behave? Can I have Mac Os to be the only operating system installed or are all the hackintosh' buggy and I need to have Windows installed as well?

2-)How is the battery life in Mac OS

3-)There is already iAtkos 5 out, should I install the 5th version instead of 2nd or 4th? If yes, anything I should do differently in any of the steps?

1. quite stable here. However I would still recommend to have a backup-partition with windows or linux if this is your single pc, as it is possible that you mess something up with an update and have to look for the cause on the internet or reinstall mac os.

2. Don't really know, but I think it's not too bad if you got powermanagement working properly.

3. I would install v5 because it has PC-EFI v9 which supports /extra folder and the extra patched dsdt necessary for 10.5.6 update. (correct me if this isn't correct, don't know exactlyif PC-Efi v9 is necessary for dsdt patch :unsure: )

Hi all,

I have tried installing following driver with no sucess on M1530 Nvidia 8400 GS:

- Nvidia Unverisal Driver pack

- NVinject.kext.zip ( 9.34K )

- V3.0 Beta Version BY PUNK92

When I installed the above drivers and I reboot and it never boot back until reinstalling the OS again. So far OS was installed 3 times .....

May I please know if there are working drivers for Nvidia 8400 GS? If yes, may I please have the location?

any help will be greatly appreciated,

Mani

Hey, what's up?

Now I am trying to get it working with my new laptop which is dell xps m1330. I've read some guides about my specific machine, and thought I will try to make it working on m1330. But I faced a problem that I don't know how to fix. Hopefully you are going to be able to help me out.

So basically I decided to go with Retail DVD install.

I burned the Retail DVD to disk. Here what i did:

1- inserted boot cd, entered 82

2-inserted Leo Retail DVD and booted with -v

After that my laptop freezes at Leo wallpaper screen even before the GUI comes up.

Anyone know know how to fix it?

I was trying installing having my hard drive in AHCI and ATA mode, same result for both modes.

I was also trying to do it with iAtkos 5i, but here, after the installation is complete, Mac Os doesn't boot and freezes at Apple logo screen.

I was also trying to do it with iAtkos 5i, but here, after the installation is complete, Mac Os doesn't boot and freezes at Apple logo screen.

If you have used 5i boot up in the verbose mode (-v where it says "boot:") and post any error messages, anything in yellow, the place where it gets stuck.... or better still a photograph of the screen if possible. Do you get a no smoking sign on the apple logo??

Now for the Shutdown/Restart Problem. Don't get too excited right now.... I don't have a solution as yet. So what I did was I connected a CRT monitor to the VGA out of my tin-can and mirrored it. Then booted in verbose and shut it down. As usual the laptop screen turns black but the monitor did not. It gave me the following error messages. I need ideas...

Note: this does not happen if the machine is restarted. Then both the screen go black but the machine still runs as usual.

image204v.th.jpg

If you have used 5i boot up in the verbose mode (-v where it says "boot:") and post any error messages, anything in yellow, the place where it gets stuck.... or better still a photograph of the screen if possible. Do you get a no smoking sign on the apple logo??

Now for the Shutdown/Restart Problem. Don't get too excited right now.... I don't have a solution as yet. So what I did was I connected a CRT monitor to the VGA out of my tin-can and mirrored it. Then booted in verbose and shut it down. As usual the laptop screen turns black but the monitor did not. It gave me the following error messages. I need ideas...

Yes, i get no smoking sign at apple logo!

Here is the screenshot with the error from iAtkos 5i:

Couldn't get it attached here, so uploaded it to image hosting server, here is the link:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9896/dsc04367.jpg

Here is the screenshot with the error from iAtkos 5i:

Couldn't get it attached here, so uploaded it to image hosting server, here is the link:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9896/dsc04367.jpg

Press F2 when you boot the machine and the Dell logo shows up and go into the bios. Disable Flash Cache and change SATA operation to ATA from the default AHCI. You will be able to boot into mac and feel exhilaration. After you have stopped feeling like a king, read wingrunr21's guide that is linked in his signature and you will learn how to get AHCI back..... have fun

Thats quite common and nothing to do with shutdown/restart issue.

You don't need to connect an external monitor to see a kernel panic, use "debug=0x100" in boot arguments.

Press F2 when you boot the machine and the Dell logo shows up and go into the bios. Disable Flash Cache and change SATA operation to ATA from the default AHCI. You will be able to boot into mac and feel exhilaration. After you have stopped feeling like a king, read wingrunr21's guide that is linked in his signature and you will learn how to get AHCI back..... have fun

Did that, but didn't help either :D

Here is what the error message is:

dsc04368q.th.jpg

Also, when intalling iAtkos 5i which checkboxes should I check when customizing the install?

oops... didn't know that....!! Thanks

When I use my customly burned RETAIL DVD I get to this screen:

I used my friends original DVD that came with his mac.

This is the screen i mean:

imgwallpapersmacosxleop.th.jpg

So it is like it is about to get to the installer screen, but it never does. It just freezes there forever with the cursor image rotating.

When I used my friends original DVD that came with his mac.

Then I first get to here:

dsc04370t.th.jpg

And then right after I passes this screen it freezes at this next screen:

dsc04371.th.jpg

And here is what I get when I run it with -v command using my friends original DVD:

dsc04369h.th.jpg

That was all when I try doing it using RETAIL DVD.

When I try using iAtkos 5i this is the error I get:

dsc04368u.th.jpg

I was trying to play with different BIOS settings as someone esle mentioned on the first page, but that didn't help either. It sounds like it is just the beginning and I can't even get over the first simple steps :)

By the way, I have 3 partitions setup:

1- WinXp - NTFS - PRIMARY

2- Mac OS - MacOS Journaled(After installing iAtkos it left to be in that format) - PRIMARY

3- Shared - NTFS (will probably use Paragon NTFS on Mac Os later to share this data) - LOGICAL

I almost lost all my hope now :unsure: