Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

For those who, post updating to 10.5.6, go to System Preferences and find out you have lost your trackpad preferences pane - and with it the ability to tap the trackpad instead of clicking - use Pacifist to extract Keyboard.prefPane from comboupdate10.5.5 - you can find Keyboard.prefPane there in System / Library/ Preference Panes. Once you have extracted it, go to your System / Library / PreferencePanes folder and drop the replacement in there. Then repair permissions and reboot.

The 4720z is a bit of a pig; I'm not sure I would have bought it back then if I knew what I know, now. That said, it is do-able but it takes a bit of work.

After going back and rereading the whole thread one more time, it appears that you have a 4720z Extensa--while I purchased a 4720z Aspire. Not sure how big the differences are, but I know that Acer manages to stick different parts or even sell completely different systems until the same model number. In fact, my 4720z sticker lists the laptop as having a dual-core Pentium T2370 when it actually has a T2390.

From the installer

9.5.0 voodoo kernel

Do NOT select a graphics driver

After pouring myself a heaping bowl of patience yesterday, I dived back into trying out various configs with iPC and came to the same conclusion that the Intel X3100 driver was causing my problems. After installing with no video drivers, my Acer loaded up Leopard just fine at 1280x800 resolution. I've gone ahead and taken your advice on the rest of the drivers and fixes, and everything seems to be working fine. I used the ALC268 (by Madtux) driver, but just the PS/2 Mouse fix (didn't need the keyboard fix). I also added the PowerManagement package and used the Finder 10.5.5+Keyboard.prefPane to get the trackpad prefs back under 10.5.6 (I need my trackpad click!). BTW, I chose the AppleSMBIOS-28 since it looked like the latest but have no idea on how that affects anything.

My biggest disappointment is not being able to get the Broadcom BCM4310 wireless card to work. Thought I was gold with a Broadcom card, but looks like this is one of the few not supported. Would you recommend a 4311 card, another internal card, or a usb wifi dongle for the best performance and stability?

A problem you might find with the 4720z, which is a perfectly nice little laptop, is boot up inconsistancy. Sometimes it can take five or more efforts to bootup, sometimes you can go a couple of times in a row with no bootup problems whatsoever.

I've definitely had issues with the bootup inconsistancy--i noticed this when trying to get the iPC DVD to load and kept hanging. It appears to hang after loading the USB interface and just before the Firewire driver, so maybe either of these is the glitch?

Thanks much Detosx for your time and help in getting me on the right track! :(

After going back and rereading the whole thread one more time, it appears that you have a 4720z Extensa--while I purchased a 4720z Aspire. Not sure how big the differences are, but I know that Acer manages to stick different parts or even sell completely different systems until the same model number. In fact, my 4720z sticker lists the laptop as having a dual-core Pentium T2370 when it actually has a T2390.

After pouring myself a heaping bowl of patience yesterday, I dived back into trying out various configs with iPC and came to the same conclusion that the Intel X3100 driver was causing my problems. After installing with no video drivers, my Acer loaded up Leopard just fine at 1280x800 resolution. I've gone ahead and taken your advice on the rest of the drivers and fixes, and everything seems to be working fine. I used the ALC268 (by Madtux) driver, but just the PS/2 Mouse fix (didn't need the keyboard fix). I also added the PowerManagement package and used the Finder 10.5.5+Keyboard.prefPane to get the trackpad prefs back under 10.5.6 (I need my trackpad click!). BTW, I chose the AppleSMBIOS-28 since it looked like the latest but have no idea on how that affects anything.

My biggest disappointment is not being able to get the Broadcom BCM4310 wireless card to work. Thought I was gold with a Broadcom card, but looks like this is one of the few not supported. Would you recommend a 4311 card, another internal card, or a usb wifi dongle for the best performance and stability?

I've definitely had issues with the bootup inconsistancy--i noticed this when trying to get the iPC DVD to load and kept hanging. It appears to hang after loading the USB interface and just before the Firewire driver, so maybe either of these is the glitch?

Thanks much Detosx for your time and help in getting me on the right track! :(

No, I do have an Aspire 4720z; the Extensa 5620 I share.

That boot thing is a real pain. Interesting the usb and firewire thing; I haven't had cause to use firewire but I do have a firewire drive; I read somewhere that deselecting firewire can speed up boot a bit, might be worth a try, though it's not an option on the IPC_OSX86 installer. Any USB options I have tried with installers haven't made a difference with boot.

I read with interest that someone had replaced the cpu in their laptop (not an 4720z in this case) with a Core 2 Duo. It worked well - except they started having the same kind of inconsistant boot problems!

Because the Extensa 5620 works well with the BCM4311, I assued the Aspire 4720z would work, so ordered a card from Honk Kong. It wasn't detected. I assumed I had a faulty card but then found it worked fine in the 5620. After a lot of searching I found that if you tape over pin20, the card works but at the expense of the wifi light being permenantly illuminated; the wifi kill switch will no longer work. It was very fiddly. Someone mentioned heat, and I'm always nervous about heat, so rather than go with Scotch tape/Sellotape I used proper insulating tape. I used a snapped off stick from an ice lollipop to smooth the tape down over the pins so that they and the gaps between them were prominant. With a steady hand and a craft knife I was able make sure pin 20 was covered. A magnifying glass would probably help! It's a gamble but as you will see on ebay the BCM4311 is pretty cheap.

Incidentally, if you look at your original 4720z wifi card which terminals were the white and black leads plugged into?

The Sweex usb wireless plug that I mentioned works, or certainly did back in 10.5.4, with a seperate driver. It's a bit of a hassle sometimes if you're in a very weak signal area, getting the driver app to pick up the signal again, but very workable.

acer 6920g

does anyone know how to activate sound and mic?

does it maybe work with iatkos 5 (still have leo4all 2)

Having a look around, it looks as though that chip isn't supported (yet) but you could use a USB sound card, meantime. I'm told they are cheap, though the one I use insn't. It's a Creative X-FI. It's a similar size to an iPod Nano, say, with a large volume dial that I find very useful in bed! I haven't tried its mic/line in but the sound quality is very good and no drivers were needed. I didn't research the topic further than that I wanted the best basic sound card. I was told the Audigy USB soundcard doesn't work. My advice would be to use a search engine with the terms usb sound card and insanelymac and see what's out there, these days, what works with Skype and so on. I would think you could pick something up on ebay for around £10/$17.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?aut...p;showentry=449 This thing looks large!

Just saw there is a list of sound cards on the osx86project under HCL_10.5.4 We're not supposed to post outside links but a search engine should take you there. The list looks pretty extensive. It also looks as though there is a sound driver for the 889a chipset, which I think is what your laptop is using. However, the package listed is for a Gigabyte motherboard and might not work with your laptop. There is ever a small risk element. If you try it, make sure your laptop still shuts down fully, that the screen isn't simply going black with the power LED still illuminated and the fan occasionally running.

Hey. Long time lurker here. I have had Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my Extensa 5220 for quite a while now. The only issues I have are

1. Wont detect my iPod

2. Inbuilt webcam does not work

3. sound. When I installed it the sound worked fine, it just wouldn;t detect headphones. So I installed the AppleHDA thing with Taruga and now it ONLY works with headphones. If anyone has any explanation for why this is and how to fix it, let me know.

Apart from that the os is incredibly stable and even on the laptop I have it up for days sometimes weeks at a time without stability problems or anything like that.

Hey. Long time lurker here. I have had Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my Extensa 5220 for quite a while now. The only issues I have are

1. Wont detect my iPod

2. Inbuilt webcam does not work

3. sound. When I installed it the sound worked fine, it just wouldn;t detect headphones. So I installed the AppleHDA thing with Taruga and now it ONLY works with headphones. If anyone has any explanation for why this is and how to fix it, let me know.

Apart from that the os is incredibly stable and even on the laptop I have it up for days sometimes weeks at a time without stability problems or anything like that.

I don't own an ipod so I'm not sure on that call. Do other USB devices work?

Your webcam will probably work if you use an app called Cam Twist 1.7, set it up and then use photobooth. I don't think it works with iChat, but I never use that.

Sound. I am assuming, and you will need to confirm this, that your laptop uses the ALC628 sound chip. Please confirm that is the case and, if so, go to the Hardware and Drivers forum on insanelymac / Sound / and look for a thread called "New ALC861VD ALC268 ALC660/660VD, No kernel panic!" . Your mileage may vary but I used MadTux ALC268_A.zip for the Extensa 5620 and MaxTux_collit_ALC268_B.zip on the Aspire 4720z. You will additionally need HDAhelper.kext from Kabyl, a link for which is on the same page. Remove the existing AppleHDA.kext and HDAhelper.kext, if they are already in your extensions folder. You might also find you have to remove alcinject.kext. Put all three in a backup folder, just in case you have to revert back to them. Install the new kexts with kext helper B7 and then repair permissions, reboot. You should now have auto switchable sound when you plug in or remove your headphones. Make sure your computer shuts down fully. I found those two packages worked well for me but in the past full shut down, ie not just the screen going black but the power LED no longer illuminated, was a problem for many.

I have No idea how to add or remove kexts.. do i just drop them into a particular folder using a console, or os there something else i have to do?

system profiler finds my iPod and my webcam. its itunes that doesnt detect it, if that helps. also, its PC formatted. am i going to have to erase my ipod to make it work?

I recently aquired an Acer TravelMate 7730 (17", C2D 2Ghz, 4GB, NV9300M, 2x 250G, WiFi, LAN, BT), and it is a really nice laptop. I am running iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 on it, and got most everything working. But unfortunately, for the life of me I cannot get the onboard LAN and WiFi working for me. The LAN was somewhat expected, as I can't find any references to the 5764 chip it has, but the WiFi is annoying the heck out of me. I have a BCM54328, which is the same as an Apple Airport and should be supported out of the box, but it just will not get recognized.

I have determined this is caused by the IOPCIFamily. kext, but replacing it with one of the many versions out there will only yield the machine hangs halfway during the boot cycle. Doesn't even kernel panic, it just stops.

But, as I am typing this on OSX, a simple and cheap USB WiFi adapter helps to at least work on it while I try to fix the internal card.

And it runs very nice indeed. It is fast, responsive and looks very good. It is a lot quicker than Vista on the same machine, and I think I will soon dump the Vista partition all together.

I have No idea how to add or remove kexts.. do i just drop them into a particular folder using a console, or os there something else i have to do?

system profiler finds my iPod and my webcam. its itunes that doesnt detect it, if that helps. also, its PC formatted. am i going to have to erase my ipod to make it work?

The easiest way to install kexts, as unfortunately you can't just drag and drop them into the extensions folder, is to download an app called kext helper B7. You drag and drop the needed kexts into it, type in your password and let it do its thing. You might need to remove alcinject.kext is you then have shutdown problems. The Extensions folder is in System / Library / . I don't have an iPod so I'm going to have to defer to others here and hope they can help, though your best bet will be to enter iPod and insanelymac into your favorite search engine.

I recently aquired an Acer TravelMate 7730 (17", C2D 2Ghz, 4GB, NV9300M, 2x 250G, WiFi, LAN, BT), and it is a really nice laptop. I am running iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 on it, and got most everything working. But unfortunately, for the life of me I cannot get the onboard LAN and WiFi working for me. The LAN was somewhat expected, as I can't find any references to the 5764 chip it has, but the WiFi is annoying the heck out of me. I have a BCM54328, which is the same as an Apple Airport and should be supported out of the box, but it just will not get recognized.

I have determined this is caused by the IOPCIFamily. kext, but replacing it with one of the many versions out there will only yield the machine hangs halfway during the boot cycle. Doesn't even kernel panic, it just stops.

But, as I am typing this on OSX, a simple and cheap USB WiFi adapter helps to at least work on it while I try to fix the internal card.

And it runs very nice indeed. It is fast, responsive and looks very good. It is a lot quicker than Vista on the same machine, and I think I will soon dump the Vista partition all together.

I Googled but ended up reading a thread with you on it! Ah, I'm sorry, it sounds as though you are following the right path. I have ethernet working but never use it. I used wifi usb for quite a long time, not so big of a hassle really. I will keep an eye out. Incidentally, for the sake of others, what wifi usb are you using?

I Googled but ended up reading a thread with you on it! Ah, I'm sorry, it sounds as though you are following the right path. I have ethernet working but never use it. I used wifi usb for quite a long time, not so big of a hassle really. I will keep an eye out. Incidentally, for the sake of others, what wifi usb are you using?

I use a Sitecom WL608 now. This one is brand new, and not yet supported by the latest Ralink drivers, but that can be easily fixed by adding another Sitecom section (that would make 8) to the Info.plist and changing the device ID to 63. (for some reason Ralink uses decimal device/vendor ID's). It's a nice little dongle, very small: about 2cm wide and 4cm long when inserted, which is a lot smaller than most I have seen so far.

I too am experiencing the random boot problems, which are a bit annoying but a few restarts typically makes things ok again. If there is a fix for it though, I'd be interested.

Anyway, I would prefer to have the internal WiFi and ethernet working, but I guess that remains a challenge. I have two different mini-PCIe cards in transit, both Apple. One is the same as the Dell 1505 (Broadcom) and one has the Atheros chipset. I am hoping one of these will get detected properly.

Ethernet should be able to work with the 57xx driver, but currently craps out over memory addressing. Unfortunately, I don't have the programming knowledge to go look at the linux stuff to see if I can make change. Maybe one day someone else will when this chip gets used more. This particular laptop was introduced in September, so it's internal design is pretty new.

Ok, I received my other mini-PCIe cards in the mail today. The BCM behaves the same as the one I already had, so nothing. The Atheros however is giving me something different that I also don't know how to fix yet, but at least it is showing something. That's a first for me... :D

Using LSPCI:

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a40] (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port [8086:2a41] (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:2937] (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 [8086:2938] (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 [8086:2939] (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 [8086:293c] (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:293e] (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:2940] (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 [8086:2944] (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 [8086:2946] (rev 03)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 [8086:294a] (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:2934] (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:2935] (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:2936] (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 [8086:293a] (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge [8086:2448] (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller [8086:2919] (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller [8086:2929] (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:2930] (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9300M GS [10de:06e9] (rev a1)
06:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2382]
06:00.2 SD Host controller [0805]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2381]
06:00.3 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2383]
06:00.4 System peripheral [0880]: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Unknown device [197b:2384]
[b]07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5418 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:0024] (rev 01)[/b]
09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1684] (rev 10)
0a:04.0 CardBus bridge [0607]: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ601/6912/711E0 CardBus/SmartCardBus Controller [1217:6972] (rev 40)

Unfortunately, when I boot with -v, I get nastygram in my boot log and still not Airport.

IO80211Controller::stop called!
start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-223.47.4/m35b/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:464] loaded unsuccessfully

On the upside, it is at least trying to load the correct driver.

But... how do I get it to actually work....

Help or ideas anyone?

If the Dell/broadcom card is a Dell 1390 and has a 4311 chip on it, taping over pin 20 will get it working in Windows, with the wifi led permanently illuminated. You then need to replace a kext. I think it was the IOPCMCIA.kext, or was that for sd card reader. Tired, here! I will try and chase it up tomorrow evening. Pin 20 is the pin next to one marked 18, away from the cutout as opposed to next to the cutout. I hope my description is a little less confusing than the one here initially was to me.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=56015

See post 65 for the kext. I had beaten the guy to it but I assume he used the same one as me. Use heavy duty electrical insulating tape and a craft knife with a sharp blade, a match stick to smooth down the tape to highlight the pins and the spaces between them. Fiddly but do-able. Works perfectly.

No, I do have an Aspire 4720z; the Extensa 5620 I share.

That boot thing is a real pain. Interesting the usb and firewire thing; I haven't had cause to use firewire but I do have a firewire drive; I read somewhere that deselecting firewire can speed up boot a bit, might be worth a try, though it's not an option on the IPC_OSX86 installer. Any USB options I have tried with installers haven't made a difference with boot.

Yeah, it's a pain. Usually if it hangs, it ends up booting correctly on the second or third try. However, every so often I get past the grey Apple screen to the blue screen and all of a sudden it looks like my LCD is melting from the edges inward until the left half of the screen is white. Kinda scary, but it doesn't seem like there is damage happening to the screen. Maybe a graphics driver issue?

Incidentally, if you look at your original 4720z wifi card which terminals were the white and black leads plugged into?

Looking at the wifi card with the terminals at the top, the white lead is on the left terminal, black on the right.

The Sweex usb wireless plug that I mentioned works, or certainly did back in 10.5.4, with a seperate driver. It's a bit of a hassle sometimes if you're in a very weak signal area, getting the driver app to pick up the signal again, but very workable.

I ended up buying a Trendnet TEW-424UB 802.11bg USB wireless adapter at a local store for $9 after rebate. Works great with the Realtek driver & wireless utility package listed on the HCL.

Was also wondering if anyone has gotten 2-finger (or one finger) scrolling working on an Acer laptop. I tried ranova's method in the tutorial forum but the sensitivity on the trackpad was way too high and scrolling didn't appear to work properly. I tried tweaking the settings, but after 15 reboots or so gave up and reinstalled the old ApplePS2Controller.kext

I had same error with a Atheros AR5007EG 168c:001c, still not there driver.

Anyway if you want test the attached kext (unstable), you need make several steps:

Well, that it didn't like at all. :thumbsup_anim: Kernel panic upon loading this kext. Quickly got rid of it again. It was worth a shot though!

No, i think that is a BIOS/Processor issue, because before i had a Celeron M530 and works fine, after i did a upgrade to Core2Duo and the problems started, if i write at boot cpus=1 boot fine, but i not want loss one core performance.

I don't agree. It is a driver issue. I was using iDeneb, and I had this problem all the time. Now I have installed iATKOS, and not only is it faster, it also doesn't give me any problems with booting anymore. (knock on wood)

In the case of the Acer 4720z, I am not sure what the problem is. I thought I had solved it at one point by installing XP so as to update the bios. With the updated bios it booted up to the desktop a dozen times in a row, though I had to select and save the default setup first, but then it was back to the same old problem. It perhaps booted marginally more reliably with iATKOSv2 but it was marginal. I will try the new iATKOS at some point.

Yeah, it's a pain. Usually if it hangs, it ends up booting correctly on the second or third try. However, every so often I get past the grey Apple screen to the blue screen and all of a sudden it looks like my LCD is melting from the edges inward until the left half of the screen is white. Kinda scary, but it doesn't seem like there is damage happening to the screen. Maybe a graphics driver issue?

Was also wondering if anyone has gotten 2-finger (or one finger) scrolling working on an Acer laptop. I tried ranova's method in the tutorial forum but the sensitivity on the trackpad was way too high and scrolling didn't appear to work properly. I tried tweaking the settings, but after 15 reboots or so gave up and reinstalled the old ApplePS2Controller.kext

Excuse my editing out a paragraph in the above quote. I haven't seen your screen issue before. One thing I did find is that if I plugged in an external usb hard drive, the screen would go to distorted with random flashing blocks. I now try to make sure my usb devices are plugged in prior to booting and then I don't have any problems.

I haven't tried the 2 finger scrolling thing, yet!

Hey guys, maybe this is gonna be some how strange, but i really need help with installing Leopard on my ACER ASPIRE 6930. I tried to install it like 20 times, with all able options and there is no way to do it :S. I tried aslo to check some video tutorials, but all are same - when u get to select disk, press customize. And there is an problem, what to chose, how to install and what to install...

Anyway, here is link of my specifications, hope you experted guys can help me... I would really like to test MAC os :).

http://www.notebook-driver.com/laptops-inf...specifications/

Regards,

Denis

somebody already obtain to mapping the volume and play/pause/stop/ff/fw buttons of acer aspire 3690 or similar?

Later that I made update of the 10.5.1 for 10.5.5 the output vga dont works and my macosx crash when i close the display cover. Somebody knows how do i to solve this?

My video is GMA950 and i'm using the 0x27a2 driver with opengl fix.

Hello everybody,

just to see if I could, I have installed the iatkos 5 distro on an Acer Travelmate 244lm. Spec below:

Its far from perfect but it is usable:

Graphics: Vesa only, no kext or acceleration loaded

Network: Lan works

Sound: Works with patch

I have upgraded the ram to 768 but apart from that, its the standard model. Worth mentioning Iatkos 5 is the only distro that worked on this and I've tried LOTS!

Processor

Processor: Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz

Data Bus Speed: 400 MHz

Chipset Type: Intel 852GME

Cache memory

Type: L2 Cache

Installed Size: 128 KB

Storage controller

Type: IDE

Optical storage

Type: DVD-RW - integrated

Video

Graphics Processor / Vendor: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 AGP

Video Memory: Shared Video Memory (UMA)

Audio

Audio Output: Sound card

Audio Input: Microphone

Input device(s)

Type: Keyboard, touchpad, 4-way scroll button

Telecom

Modem: Fax / Modem

Max Transfer Rate: 56 Kbps

Protocols & Specifications: ITU V.92

Networking

Networking: Network adapter

Data Link Protocol: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet

Power

Power Device: External

Power Provided: 120 Watt

Battery

Technology: Lithium Ion

Installed Qty: 1

Capacity: 4000 mAh

Run Time (Up To): 2.5 hour(s)

I don't see anything that would be a reason for it not to work. Networking/wifi may/will not work, but everything else should be no problem. Which distribution are you trying to install and which options do you select?

I tried with iATKOS and iDENEB (latest both). Also i thought to try with iPC distro, but i wasnt able to burn it with nero, hehe - nvm. BTW, i made it with iATKOS today, but on clean disk only, so that means without windows. If i try to do it like dual boot, i cant get in to MAC - it freeze on first window after boot (with iATKOS), it gives me boot: error (with iDENEB). Maybe you could give me some advice around options? Is there any way, to update networking later, with some custom drivers?

thx alot for infos :P

I tried with iATKOS and iDENEB (latest both). Also i thought to try with iPC distro, but i wasnt able to burn it with nero, hehe - nvm. BTW, i made it with iATKOS today, but on clean disk only, so that means without windows. If i try to do it like dual boot, i cant get in to MAC - it freeze on first window after boot (with iATKOS), it gives me boot: error (with iDENEB). Maybe you could give me some advice around options? Is there any way, to update networking later, with some custom drivers?

thx alot for infos :D

Which graphics chip is your laptop using, the 4500 or the 9600 mobile? I really hope it's the latter.

If yours has the 4500, which I fear it might be, because you state 6930 rather than 6930G, start here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=134126 Not great news with that chip.

I think the 9600 works, not sure about the 9600M GS, but I'm not sure if you get CI/QE, which would severely curtail your fun and the the usefullness. The thread below is active and provides some hope, though.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=125106

Assuming you have the model with the 9600 and you want to wait out a fully functioning driver for said graphics chip, I should say that Intel Wifi cards don't work. You would need to replace it. If your Acer has a Wifi kill switch, you might find that if you buy a Dell1390/Broadcom BCM4311 on ebay, you have to cover pin 20 with a small slither of insulating tape and add a kext, see earlier post. An easier solution would be a USB wireless dongle. I use(d) a Sweex LW053.

systemgx2.jpg

So as you can see, i have GF 9600M GS.

I opened also special topic for ACER 6930 notebooks, here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=149810

Good move. Glad you're not saddled with the 4500. Let us know how you get on. You should be able to boot to the desktop by pressing F8 during bootup and then typing -x (which is like Safe mode in Windows). From there you can install any needed kexts with kext helper B7. You could additionally try typing cpus=1, though your boot problem might be due to having 4GB of memory. There might be a workaround on that one by now. Trying taking out 2GB and see if that helps, or it could be a SATA/UUID problem that a number of Acer models seem to have, though most of them are able to bootup to the desktop seven times out of ten. In bios, make sure your hard drive is set to Sata ACHI. If your bios lists a RAID option, try selecting that instead, I read over the weeked that doing so works for some people. My Acer 4720's bios is basic and doesn't offer that option.

Ok, i will try to install over safe mode now. I tried to get into mac over safe mode and didnt worked out :P. I dont know i f i wrote here, that i can install MAC os only by him self (Without Windows on clean disk). If i have windows and mac, i get that problems. Anyway i will try it right now, so i will be away like an 30 minutes, hehe. After that if it wont work, i will report here :)