Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

Ok, i will try to install over safe mode now. I tried to get into mac over safe mode and didnt worked out :P . I dont know i f i wrote here, that i can install MAC os only by him self (Without Windows on clean disk). If i have windows and mac, i get that problems. Anyway i will try it right now, so i will be away like an 30 minutes, hehe. After that if it wont work, i will report here :)
Hi Dennis, not sure you can install in safe mode, I meant purely post install. By the way, which options are you using in the IPC installer, could you list them. Also, are you using the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel? It can work around a multitude of problems that the vanilla kernel won't and is pretty stable and fast, these days. You need to install Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 with it, or you will get kernel panic when mounting DMG files. I went with smbiosefi.

Also, trying posting on PCWiz's thread, showing him those boot pics. A lot of good people on that thread. You will need to list your laptops specification and which options you selected in the installer.

Huhu, i made it :angel:. I installed it with just basic settings. So i left deafult bootloader and basic kernel 9.6.0 i think, wich is installed by deafult. Also i can see windows partition and i can browse it. All i need to do now, is to search and install drivers for sound, graphic and network+ wireless. After that i will be in touch here from MAC os :)

EDIT: I forgot to tell you, i read in iPC license, after first boot u need to load it with -f flag (only first time). It says: Do this to make sure that all installed kexts are loaded properly. It is only required only once.

Huhu, i made it :) . I installed it with just basic settings. So i left deafult bootloader and basic kernel 9.6.0 i think, wich is installed by deafult. Also i can see windows partition and i can browse it. All i need to do now, is to search and install drivers for sound, graphic and network+ wireless. After that i will be in touch here from MAC os :unsure:

EDIT: I forgot to tell you, i read in iPC license, after first boot u need to load it with -f flag (only first time). It says: Do this to make sure that all installed kexts are loaded properly. It is only required only once.

A lot of people in their excitement forget to do that. Also, though for some reason not mentioned by PCWiz as far as I could see, you should repair permissions - Go / Disk Utility /click on the partition/ click on repair disk permissions. It will make the longest list of repairs I have ever seen in a fresh install. You generally want to repair permissions after installing new kexts, which are most easily installed with kext helper B7. Don't rush out and buy iLife09, you will need to get QE/CI working, first, which unless the graphics card driver that I linked you to earlier has evolved a bit more, you might be in for a bit of a wait, alas.

Ok, i will run disk permissions, but i noticed something:

I see in MAC my card have only VRAM :wacko:. I opened topic on PCWIZ forum too (i made screens from MAC for there, but no answer)

http://######.com/index.php?option=...d=18&id=717

I read all mine and your posts again. I saw that you say 6930G. I didnt realize, there are so big differences between normal 6930 and 6930G, my bad. I have 6930G, yes. Also i tried from Aqua-mac Nvidia drivers v2, but no luck for me. Its not so much important for me Wireless. Most important what i need is Ethernet (Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller), graphic card (GF 9600m GS) and sound card (Realtek High Definition Audio, NVIDIA HDMI Audio). As i said before, MAC will be my main OS, thats why i need these drivers. I dont even use much WiFi, and if i will in future, i can simply connect trought Vista, download anything and then reboot in MAC, where i can see these files ^_^.

Ok, i will run disk permissions, but i noticed something:

I see in MAC my card have only VRAM :o . I opened topic on PCWIZ forum too (i made screens from MAC for there, but no answer)

http://######.com/index.php?option=...d=18&id=717

I read all mine and your posts again. I saw that you say 6930G. I didnt realize, there are so big differences between normal 6930 and 6930G, my bad. I have 6930G, yes. Also i tried from Aqua-mac Nvidia drivers v2, but no luck for me. Its not so much important for me Wireless. Most important what i need is Ethernet (Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller), graphic card (GF 9600m GS) and sound card (Realtek High Definition Audio, NVIDIA HDMI Audio). As i said before, MAC will be my main OS, thats why i need these drivers. I dont even use much WiFi, and if i will in future, i can simply connect trought Vista, download anything and then reboot in MAC, where i can see these files :) .

Your laptop uses ALC888 for sound, I believe.

Multimedia:

NVIDIA HDMI audio device 82801IB @ Intel ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

Realtek audio device ALC888/1200 @ 82801IB Intel ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

I don't know if that one is listed in the IPC installer but that's the one you want to hunt for I think.

I would hold off on running out and buying a lot of Mac software until you know if you can get QE/CI working on your 9600m, some applications won't work without.

I found a post where someone got a GT version of your graphics card working. He installed aqua-mac's package (I think you might then only be able to boot into safe mode) and then installed NVDarwin 1.2.3 Try and search for links to both. He got QE/CI working that way. I'm not sure it will work with your chip but might be worth reading up on, at least. Keep in mind there is a small chance you could brick/kill your laptop. It's small, perhaps, but should always be in the back of your mind, this isn't a hobby without risk. The ideal is to hold off until you find someone else with a fully working 9600M GS.

Can't see there being a wifi driver any time soon. Couldn't find anything but dead ends on your ethernet. A wifi usb dongle may be the simplest answer, though you might have to get a new router if yours doesn't have wifi.

After a lot of searching I found someone called login who said "Nvidia GeForce 9600M GS 256 Mb ( работает (Nvidia 9000 Installer + NVDarwin 1.2.3) working (Nvidia 9000 Installer + NVDarwin 1.2.3) ) on the www.applelife.ru forum. The site isn't in English but it might be worthwhile joining and emailing the guy.

As another Acer Extensa 5620-6830 user, I just wanted to say, hey all!

Currently using iPC 10.5.6, dual booting with XP (boooo Vista!). Previously I used iDeneb with great success. '.6 is a lot pickier that '.5, it seems, unless it's just this distro. Previously my webcam partially worked (functioned in iChat, only in Photobooth with Camtwist), now it won't even show up under listed hardware. I've long since swapped my useless Intel wifi card for an Atheros card (now works natively). The Ethernet works if I install the kext, but I don't find it worth it, as it breaks Sleep. Yes, Sleep works fine. I rarely shut down OSX anymore, I just shut the lid and let it go to sleep. Hitting the power button wakes it up instantly.

Under 10.5.5, I also got the PC Card slot working. I haven't bothered to try yet under 10.5.6, since I never use it. I plan on doing some heavier experimentation over the next month or so, and may even decide to stick it '.5. Not having mouse options under '.6 gets annoying. The only non-functional bit before I upgraded was the memory card reader. I will say that I initially had some issue with scrambled screens on bootup. I still get that every once in a while, but it's much improved. Not sure if that's due to distro or OS version.

Overall, this is a fine laptop for OSX. It's cheap, upgradeable, has a lot of natively supported hardware, and I now use OSX as my primary operating system. No issues burning DVD's, native QE / hardware acceleration... what's not to like?

As another Acer Extensa 5620-6830 user, I just wanted to say, hey all!

Currently using iPC 10.5.6, dual booting with XP (boooo Vista!). Previously I used iDeneb with great success. '.6 is a lot pickier that '.5, it seems, unless it's just this distro. Previously my webcam partially worked (functioned in iChat, only in Photobooth with Camtwist), now it won't even show up under listed hardware. I've long since swapped my useless Intel wifi card for an Atheros card (now works natively). The Ethernet works if I install the kext, but I don't find it worth it, as it breaks Sleep. Yes, Sleep works fine. I rarely shut down OSX anymore, I just shut the lid and let it go to sleep. Hitting the power button wakes it up instantly.

Under 10.5.5, I also got the PC Card slot working. I haven't bothered to try yet under 10.5.6, since I never use it. I plan on doing some heavier experimentation over the next month or so, and may even decide to stick it '.5. Not having mouse options under '.6 gets annoying. The only non-functional bit before I upgraded was the memory card reader. I will say that I initially had some issue with scrambled screens on bootup. I still get that every once in a while, but it's much improved. Not sure if that's due to distro or OS version.

Overall, this is a fine laptop for OSX. It's cheap, upgradeable, has a lot of natively supported hardware, and I now use OSX as my primary operating system. No issues burning DVD's, native QE / hardware acceleration... what's not to like?

Hi CharredPC. The 5620 runs a little hot when encoding video, about 10 degrees C higher than any other laptop I have used and a supplemental fan, like an Artec, is a good idea; even Apple suggest that (though temps are fine under epower on Vista), but otherwise, yes, I have never regretted getting the 5620, it was a breeze compared to my cool running 4720z.

What did you do to get sleep working on your 5620? I get screen sleep to work when I close the lid/screen but not sleep, deep sleep or hibernation. At one point I came close to the former (I think I hadn't yet installed the ethernet kext/package) but sound was so faint you could barely hear it and wifi was off, so I had to reboot. I gave up a few months ago, would be good to hear how you got it working/what options you selected or additional kexts. Sleep is my one big remaining bug bear with the 5620, along with heat under intensive load.

I haven't checked for about a week but the SD card reader won't work, alas, because it's Texas Instruments rather than Ricoh. I picked up an usb card reader that does the job. Not ideal, but...

In that case your options are somewhat more straightforward but you're as well to follow one of the tutorials that apply to most intel spec hackintoshes.

1) Buy Leopard - I believe if you are in further eduction you can get a discount but at your local dealer it's inexpensive compared to Windows and a stopgap on the way to buying a real and yummysome Mac when funds provide.

2) If you are going to wipe the drive rather than dual boot, download the latest Gparted live CD (partitioning software) and burn it to CD as an iso. Now go into your laptops bios and change the bootup order so that your CD/DVD drive is the first boot device and the hard drive the second.

3) Boot from the Gparted CD and then format the drive as a primary partition with FAT32. Or, you might want to set up a seperate data partition for your various projects. Again, select FAT32 because it is readable/writeable by bother Leopard and Windows, which is useful if the laptop dies - you can put the hard drive in a USB caddy/enclosure and transfering it to a working Windows/Apple computer.

4) Boot up iATKOS and wait a few minutes. All being well, go up to the top of the Screen and from the Utilities menu select Disk Utility. Click on your chosen Partition. Then click on the erase tab. Seleced Journalled from the drop down menu and then erase/format said partition. It takes about ten seconds.

5) Exit Disk Utility. and then continue with the installer, selecting which drive to install to. Lookout for a button called Customise. Click on it and select your favoured options/drivers based on what hardware you have. If you have a laptop I would select the X86Darwin rather than go with EFI and the vanilla Apple kernel; that way, if your intel processor supports it, you can select 'Speedstep'. The EFI/Vanilla Apple kernel option is the better performer but not vastly so and with a laptop you want to be saving battery and - all those little tweaks that you want if you are a laptop user that aren't present out-of-the box with the Vanilla Apple kernel (vanilla meaning non hacked, the original - with the vanilla kernel you can theoretically do most Apple updates including kernel updates, whereas with the hacked kernel if you update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2, say, you probably won't be able boot up your laptop). I have tried both the EFI/Vanilla route and the X86Dawrin with Speedstep and power saving options and with a laptop I would say use that, unless you never take your laptop out of the house. Also, having fried one laptop, anything that keeps an eye and monitors power useage is A-okay in my book! SMBIOS can be useful for comptibility with certain Applications(programs). Hopefully you should now be able to boot from the hard drive and complete the instillation. Once you have done so, go to the Control Panel and adjust the power settings! It is all too easy to happily play around with your new laptop's fresh install, go away and make a cup of coffee, come back and find the screen is black, not press a key to wake the screen and, thinking the laptop has shutdown, put the laptop in a bag - and fry the processor. No, this doesn't happen a lot and certainly less so under Tiger for some reason, but it does happen. How many people publically admit to it or not is another matter!

Above all, have fun and promote the Mac platform. :unsure:

That's good to know. :) There was some doubt expressed about that range of Acer laptops on other forums and Amazon.co.uk, that without the Acer power saving program specific to Microsoft Windows the laptop can't properly cool itself, that it wasn't therefore suitable for, say, Linux. Ergo...

Does it run tolerably fast with Leopard? I seriously thought about getting one of those as a replacement for my HP. That said, Apple do have a new sub notebook coming out in Feb that doesn't use a hard drive and reportedly has a ten hour battery life! Hmm!

Hi, I'm new here and I really appreciate your very informative post.

Well,I'm new not only to this forum, but also to this idea of installing mac on pc. :thumbsup_anim:

I have a ipc osx dvd and without having enough knowledge, I keep getting this warning in the middle of installation.

"run preinstakk script for 920 speedstep kernel"

"contact the software manufacturer for assistance"

My laptop is acer with core2duo T5450(1.66 GH), mobile intel GM965 chipset.

When installation started, I checked on "ipc osx base" and "fixes and patches", left "language..." unchecked, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

:D J.C

Just wondering if anyone here has managed to re-flash their firmware with a patched/modified DSDT on an acer with pheonix/insydeh20 bios? I know its kinda pointless with pcefiv9 and what not, but if someone has managed to get it done I'd appreciate knowing the steps of how to modify the rom image with your new dsdt etc. (Specifically with a 5315 or other acer laptop based on the acadia2 motherboard).

PS: I know I'll probably get a bunch of replies saying why bother, I've seen it happen elsewhere. I'm really just after the info if anyone can help.

Installed on an acer 7720g

Sound --> OK (Realtek ALC268)

Graphics --> OK (Nvidia 9500M GS)

Ethernet --> OK (Broadcom Gigabit ethernet)

WIFI --> NOPE...(no driver available, Intel 4965)

Card reader --> Did not check

Unfortunately I have to rollback to my Linux distro again since Wifi is essential for me due to often traveling :D

Other than that the system felt really stable!

Unfortunately I have to rollback to my Linux distro again since Wifi is essential for me due to often traveling :(

You can always hop on ebay and grab a cheap mini pci-e broadcom based wireless cards (like those made by dell) that are compatible out of the box with osx. Obviously check the chipset info with the HCL's to make sure its 100% fine. I got one for my acer (i think i paid about $20) and its never given me an issue. Obviously linux and windows compatibility wont be an issue either.

No luck on installing of my card, still hehe. I talked with that rusian guy, but it wont work @ me, my bad. I guess, i will need to buy new notebook or something, lol :s
Apple have just refreshed the specification of their entry level MacBook. Think loooong battery life, think Apple quality and Apple after sales service, then the price seems worth it. Also, does anyone watch blue ray movies on their laptop? The MacBook comes with Leopard and the new iLife 09 suite preinstalled. Plus... it's an Apple! :D

I don't know, if money is massively tight you could wait it out, it seems as though there are a few people who have got the 9600M GS to work on their Samsungs and such. Sorry that Russian guy wasn't able to help.

You can always hop on ebay and grab a cheap mini pci-e broadcom based wireless cards (like those made by dell) that are compatible out of the box with osx. Obviously check the chipset info with the HCL's to make sure its 100% fine. I got one for my acer (i think i paid about $20) and its never given me an issue. Obviously linux and windows compatibility wont be an issue either.
Not all are compatible out of the box with some Acers, unfortunately. The BCM4311 on some Acer models with a wifi kill switch, need pin 20 covered over with tape (preferably electrical insulating tape) and a kext change. See above. With my Extensa 5620, on the other hand, it worked without modification as you say. As with most things, search on google with your model of laptop and insanelymac; hopefully you will find someone who is using the same laptop as yourselves and that will ease your path.

Unfortunately I have to rollback to my Linux distro again since Wifi is essential for me due to often traveling :(

Were you able to get your install going/working without overheating problems? I know a while ago there were overheating issues with the 7720g; because of an ACPI problem the fan wasn't working. I am out of touch on that one but someone told me it fine with iDeben 10.5.5 v1.3 If your SD card reader is Ricoh rather than Texas Instruments, you will probably be able to get it working. I'm fairly certain the 7720 uses a Ricoh controller. If it uses a Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter with the vendor ID 1180:0822, then it should work. The newer kext worked for me without a memory hole that turns everything to slow motion sludge. Anyway, use Everest or a similar program under Vista/XP to scan your computer's hardware, to find out if your controller is indeed Ricoh, and keep a print out and take a look here:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry940660

Were you able to get your install going/working without overheating problems? I know a while ago there were overheating issues with the 7720g; because of an ACPI problem the fan wasn't working. I am out of touch on that one but someone told me it fine with iDeben 10.5.5 v1.3 If your SD card reader is Ricoh rather than Texas Instruments, you will probably be able to get it working. I'm fairly certain the 7720 uses a Ricoh controller. If it uses a Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter with the vendor ID 1180:0822, then it should work. The newer kext worked for me without a memory hole that turns everything to slow motion sludge. Anyway, use Everest or a similar program under Vista/XP to scan your computer's hardware, to find out if your controller is indeed Ricoh, and keep a print out and take a look here:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry940660

This is something I didn't notice, I can say that the fan did not kick in while working on the desktop, but then again I didn't do much since it was a pure new installation ( I read about this behavior somewhere in the forum, but also read that latest bios should overcome this kind of problems, I have the latest bios installed) but the fan definitely didn't start (all though on this laptop it tends to work quietly).

The card reader is a Ricoh as far as I remember (i had checked sometime ago).

Unfortunately I won't be doing any kind of surgical operations on this one, last laptop I had, died after roaming around with mods, I will try to see if I can have a working solution with an external WIFI adapter and see what I can get.

Overall I have to admit I am really impressed with the work done on OSx86 it feels lovely (it was my first touch with Mac) and quite eye candy :thumbsup_anim: Linux background was a big plus to my experience :thumbsup_anim:

This is something I didn't notice, I can say that the fan did not kick in while working on the desktop, but then again I didn't do much since it was a pure new installation ( I read about this behavior somewhere in the forum, but also read that latest bios should overcome this kind of problems, I have the latest bios installed) but the fan definitely didn't start (all though on this laptop it tends to work quietly).

The card reader is a Ricoh as far as I remember (i had checked sometime ago).

Unfortunately I won't be doing any kind of surgical operations on this one, last laptop I had, died after roaming around with mods, I will try to see if I can have a working solution with an external WIFI adapter and see what I can get.

Overall I have to admit I am really impressed with the work done on OSx86 it feels lovely (it was my first touch with Mac) and quite eye candy :thumbsup_anim: Linux background was a big plus to my experience :thumbsup_anim:

Perhaps try iDeneb? I definitely read about someone who tried your laptop with ideneb without the heat problem. I have no idea which options he chose in the installer, though. Heat is a killer with laptops, literally. The bios should step in and fail safe to protect the cpu/gpu etc but, very often, that doesn't happen - I used to have an HP laptop.

Unless folks were using a new hard drive for this hobby and can pop the Vista hard drive back in, you can't return the laptop to Acer/Dell/HP or whoever. Even if you persue that path, ethically I'm not sure you have much of a leg to stand on.

I have mentioned this before but it was found that heat with some of the Acer Gemstone range, when using Linux rather than Acer's 'epower' software under Vista/XP, was a real problem, which in some cases included the fan not starting up. Acer was telling some Linux users that their warrenty would be void unless they were using Windows and the epower program. Great... I'm not sure of the absolute legality of that one, but... My acer Aspire 4720z had no such problems, and even runs much cooler than my 5620, which is from the Extensa range. If you're intersted in monitoring temperatures you can use a free application called Temperature Monitor. I think it reports innacurately with my 5620, which I think is running about seven or eight degrees higher than is being reported. I used to work in a photography darkroom and got used to second guessing thermometers. But at least with that app you are able to monitor changes.

Also, and even Apple advise this for their heavy duty users, consider getting an under laptop fan. Non macs can run hot. Notebook coolers can drop the temperature by 10 degrees C (I measured using an Antec Notebook Cooler of my Extensa 5620) when under moderate load. I spent ages reading reviews and if you don't want to spend silly money, that Antec is small, light weight and stable. The fan is pretty quiet. They work via usb. There are a handfull of better ones but they aren't that portable.

Hi, I'm new here and I really appreciate your very informative post.

Well,I'm new not only to this forum, but also to this idea of installing mac on pc. :(

I have a ipc osx dvd and without having enough knowledge, I keep getting this warning in the middle of installation.

"run preinstakk script for 920 speedstep kernel"

"contact the software manufacturer for assistance"

My laptop is acer with core2duo T5450(1.66 GH), mobile intel GM965 chipset.

When installation started, I checked on "ipc osx base" and "fixes and patches", left "language..." unchecked, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

:D J.C

I don't recognise that warning. That's a new one by me. PCWiz and helpers have a very long forum thread for IPC installing problems, so I would post your question there. When you say you checked on fixes and patches, you did expand both and select single options? If you just leave a tick in fixes or patches, it will install all of the fixes and patches and you will have a horrendous mess. I'm thinking you know that, though, but people have been known to do that with all installers. Only ever select what applies to the specification of your laptop and, better still, do as much back ground reading as you can to avoid problems.

Just cuz of fans problem (as i read most time with graphic card fan), im thinking to buy external cooler for notebooks. It cost like 20,30 EUR i think :)
Good move but avoid the really cheap ones. Some will only bring the temp down by 4 degrees C, others actually blow the heat back into the vent that it just exited. There seem to be different design philosophies, different placements of vents to match up with different makes of laptop. If you know a dealer that carries a lot of different models, I would visit that store, and using Temperature monitor, try a few. It could take a while, though, as you need to have the laptop running under moderate load, say watching a movie while surfing. For heavy load, run an anti virus scanner like iAntivirus or avast for Mac or... I have a few. Great for detecting viruses in MS files and avoiding passing them on to others. The real crunch is when you're encoding video, then things get very hot.

The Antec Notebook model that I mention is very good, or at least with the Extensa 5620. The ideal model would allow you to flip it over so that it is either sucking or blowing. Some two fan models do both. A friend uses a four fan model that... sounds like a jet engine. Check out the reviews. There are a couple of better models than the Antec, running a few degrees cooler still and made of solid metal (the Antec is quite dureable) but they aren't very portable. Some are very noisy when running at full speed. Unfortunately were are discouraged from listing external links/urls.

Just thought I'd post a little guide for those that have an ACADIA2 based Acer using an X3100 graphics chip, such as all 5315, 5715Z, etc. Its basically for those that want to stay as vanilla as possible (perhaps install off a retail leopard dvd), or want to prepare their already working 10.5.x installs for an upgrade to 10.5.6 using apples official combo update. It can also be used to "vanilla-rise" your current 10.5.6 install, if your sick of mixing kexts just to get things working, just do the mods and install apples 10.5.6 combo update on top of what you have.

Theres a lot of good information in this thread regarding installing from different distro's, but Im sure there are also people like me hanging about that had/have older leopard installs, dont want to break anything, but want to move to 10.5.6 successfully using just an apple update. I also used this method to install a retail leopard dvd on my GFs Acer 5315 (albiet in a round about way by booting from an old kalyway 10.5.2 installation on a usb stick and running the osinstall.mpkg from there - of course boot132 would be the better option I just happened to have the usb stick already prepared).

Theres nothing new in this post, its all old hat, just compiled what worked for me.

If its not already installed, install PC EFI v9 (search for the bootloader.pkg file in the forum). I did this manually by following the information in the README (under Bootloader.pkg/Contents/Resources/boot), just seems safer that way, but do whatever works for you.

After that grab the chameleonsm file (found here) and use it to replace the boot file in your root directory. This basically removes the need for any AppleSMBIOS.kext modifications or additional kexts like AppleSMBIOSEFI or SMBIOSResolver (if either of these exist remove them). Mackerintel has mentioned the code for this will be integrated into chameleon future releases, so its all good for future-proofing (more info here).

Next create a fixed DSDT.aml file. Use the latest DSDT Patcher (search the forum) to do this, but run it with the -newHPET option (I found this is necessary). Now you can make any changes to your dsdt_fixed.txt if you want, but you really dont have to do anything (see my note on sound below). Once you have a dsdt_fixed.txt you are happy with you will need to force compile it using "../Tools/iasl -fta dsdt_fixed.txt" since Acers implementation has one error in the _OSC method. Copy the resulting DSDT.aml to the root directory.

Download and install Chun nan's modified PS2 kexts - AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext. Make sure you delete ACPIPS2Nub.kext or old PS2 files if they exist.

Get rid of all other hacked/add-on kext's you have installed leaving only AppleDecrypt.kext, (and possibly OpenHaltRestart.kext if you have shutdown/restart issues). If you are running a distro that doesnt include AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext then install IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext. You can choose to remove this after you combo update to 10.5.6, or leave it in permanently if you find your laptop runs cooler with it etc.

Use the following com.apple.Boot.plist to replace the one you currently have installed. Leave out the lines in bold (unless you want to override the reported FSB/CPU speeds in "about this mac", but on our laptops they should be accurate). The com.apple.Boot.plist file contains a X3100 EFI String (tested from 10.5.1 through to 10.5.6), it also contains all the SMBIOS values read by chameleonsm. -:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>6d000000 01000000 01000000 61000000 02000000 02010c00 d041030a 00000000
01010600 00027fff 04001000 00006d00 6f006400 65006c00 00000b00 0000474d 41203935
30200000 00410041 0050004c 002c0048 00610073 00500061 006e0065 006c0000 00080000
00010000 00</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.080209154</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBook1.1</string>[b]
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>133</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>1866</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>
<string>Kingston</string>
<key>SMmempart</key>
<string>0x0000FFFF</string>
<key>SMmemserial</key>
<string>0x48092D503537345336304350362D09352020</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>533</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>[/b]
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W88261E7YP4</string>
</dict>
</plist>

And that is it. Any upgrade Ive done from 10.5.1 through to 10.5.6 (using real apple delta or combo updates) has worked with no modification apart from having to delete Dont Steal OSX.kext (or whatever its called). If you forget just boot using an installation dvd, go into terminal and remove it manually.

I've also used the above method to get a retail install of leopard 10.5.4 running, which was then upgraded using a 10.5.6 combo update without issues. Shutdown, restart, sleep all work. Both cores work when I upgraded the old celeron 1.86 to a T8100 C2D. Early on I did have problems with the fan not working in OSX under bios v1.3x. Moving to v1.43 fixed the issue, and seems to have done the same for many running linux/xp if you search other forums.

The only thing I havent mentioned is sound and wireless. I use "ALC268_installer2" (search the forum). It works (even in 10.5.6), but modifying the DSDT to include HDEF etc would be the far superior option (search the forum), just been too lazy to get around too it yet. With the wireless if you are lucky enough to have a broadcom based mini pci-e card (my GF's laptop actually came with one) it willl either work out of the box or with a slight plist edit. If not you owe it to yourself to get a known working broadcom/dell based mini pci-e card so everything works out of the box.

Hopefully this helps people upgrade who are still stuck on an old kalyway 10.5.1 install or similar. The result is a relatively vanilla install, apart from PCEFIv9/Chameleonsm, extra values in com.apple.Boot.plist, Four extra kexts (two for PS2, plus AppleDecrypt and OpenHaltRestart. Plus whatever solution you want to use for sound.

Hi Avian, good post there! I think like a lot of people I have Leopard unopened in its original packing, sitting on the bookcase and mocking me. It would be good to try the boot132 route. Though IPC's installer is daunting in the sheer number of options, I like it that PCWiz has gathered so many options together.

I haven't tried any bios mods but was going to ask you if you ever have bootup problems with your 5315? I just tried iATKOSv5 on my 4720z and booted up to desktop eleven straight times without problems. The problems I did have is that none of the installer options gave me a working keyboard and though using acpiplatform from my IPC partition got it working, I then had a broken Disk Permissions problem and a series of other minor problems. I backed up the iATKOS Extensions folder and will experiment with kexts at the weekend. It could be I just hit a good bootup run. Usually I am able to book six or seven times out of ten without problem. When it fails, the cog doesn't even appear on the boot screen. UUID/HD problem, but inconsistant. Someone else here said something good about iATKOS and bootup success rate. Uphuck and co seem to have designed the installer/options with laptop users in mind.

I have a Acer Travelmate 8210

I am not able to install it all .

It keeps panicing on my Ethernet and there is no way to disable it in the bios.

Any suggestions?

Not sure on that but that laptop has an ATI x1600 which might give you problems. That appears to be a workaround.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80649

I have never tried to install using the -x prompt (safe mode), not sure if it works but it might get you through your block. Press F8 during bootup, type -x -v and press Return.

EDIT

Try contacting Kizwan; it looks as though he has or had a Travelmate 8210.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87592

Hi Avian, good post there! I think like a lot of people I have Leopard unopened in its original packing, sitting on the bookcase and mocking me. It would be good to try the boot132 route. Though IPC's installer is daunting in the sheer number of options, I like it that PCWiz has gathered so many options together.

I haven't tried any bios mods but was going to ask you if you ever have bootup problems with your 5315? I just tried iATKOSv5 on my 4720z and booted up to desktop eleven straight times without problems. The problems I did have is that none of the installer options gave me a working keyboard and though using acpiplatform from my IPC partition got it working, I then had a broken Disk Permissions problem and a series of other minor problems. I backed up the iATKOS Extensions folder and will experiment with kexts at the weekend. It could be I just hit a good bootup run. Usually I am able to book six or seven times out of ten without problem. When it fails, the cog doesn't even appear on the boot screen. UUID/HD problem, but inconsistant. Someone else here said something good about iATKOS and bootup success rate. Uphuck and co seem to have designed the installer/options with laptop users in mind.

I've never had bootup problems on my 5315, nor on my girlfriends newer 5315. Only real issue we've both had is fan not coming on without using acers bloatware issue in xp (also affected osx) which was fixed with newer firmware. But to be honest until recently I've been stuck in the past running 10.5.3 not wanting to upgrade since I didnt have time to see where everything was at and was pretty sure I'd stuff up something (the desktop is another story, the badaxe2 mobo is ridiculously compatible, always kept it up to date). It was only since my GF bought her 5315 and wanted the latest leopard that I started experimenting, ended up braking my install and then had to find a way to fix it without losing everything - and make everything reproducible to the point where I could install it on her laptop and reinstall/fix things in the future if anything goes awry.

I think its best to just use whichever acpiplatform revision matches whatever leopard your running (1.2.4 for 10.5.6) and then modify ps2nub to suit. It keeps everything just that little bit more vanilla and compatible. The main reason I wrote the guide is that someone else with a 5315 acer (in this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...47697&st=20 ) was mixing and matching kext's/kernels to fix issues that wouldnt have been there if everything was close to vanilla or at least updated via apples 10.5.6 combo update. I know nothing about the 4720z (is it acadia2/icl50 based?) but if you got some spare time, make a patched dsdt.aml using the dsdt patcher, get it running with pcefiv9, leave smbiosefi, appledecrypt, pmdisabler and your ps2 kexts in place and run the apple 10.5.6 combo update. Delete dont steal mac osx.kext, modify your ps2nub to include the 1.2.4 value and see if you like the result. If doesnt break anything that is :)

Perhaps try iDeneb? I definitely read about someone who tried your laptop with ideneb without the heat problem. I have no idea which options he chose in the installer, though. Heat is a killer with laptops, literally. The bios should step in and fail safe to protect the cpu/gpu etc but, very often, that doesn't happen - I used to have an HP laptop.

Oh it was Ideneb which I installed :) But about the fan, as I mentioned above I don't know if it didn't kick in due to not working properly (while installing it did kick in, but I didn't hear it while messing around after installation).