Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

to get ideneb working on my acer aspire 3680 i heard that i need too add tiger kernels to my dvd but which kernels do i need and where can i get them from to make my ideneb 10.5.5 work properbly???
If the specification is as I saw listed, 512MB of ram is really pushing it, especially with a Celeron M. If you can, upgrade the memory first. 'Tiger kernels'? I think you mean kexts but I'm not sure which or why it won't install, as is. I prefer always to follow working solutions rather than tinker. I think the thread below might prove helpful.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97469 I did find this thread that might be helpful. It is using an old version of Kalyway that I liked a lot, or had less problems with than Kalyway 10.5.2.

You could then update it to 10.5.5 using Mysticus C*s updater package and the 10.5.5 combo update. You can read about it in the link below but do follow Mysticus C*s instructions very closely:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry773294

I think those would be your easiest path, probably using the Natit.kext to help get the GMA950 working.

Avian! Thanks for your thoughts, an interesting read. I have a modified miracle ps2nub kext that I used to use kext helper B7 to install into the extensions folder of any non functioning keyboard set up. I think it was from Chun Nan. That was all I ever had to do, amazingly, and it worked every time, but when I was installing iATKOSv5 I was in an internet cafe and could only pinch kexts from my IPC partition. At the moment, I am just glad that everything bar sleep works! It would be nice if someone came out with a solution for Acer users using the Texas Instruments SD/etc card reader for my 5620 but I'll live!

Oh it was Ideneb which I installed :) But about the fan, as I mentioned above I don't know if it didn't kick in due to not working properly (while installing it did kick in, but I didn't hear it while messing around after installation).
Hi Kostas. Try the Temperature Monitor app. Google it, it's free.

detosx: thanks i will try. and yeh i have already done a ram upgrade to 2gb. but when i install ideneb 10.5.5 it gets stuck at the dont transfere from old mac screen. i did get past it but fiddling but then the airport did not work. (useless to me without the internet) but thanks for the advice

I have an Acer Aspire 3680...running teh Vista (ugh) would love to hackentosh it...but it seems complicated compared to the easy peasy osx86 install I had on the husband's MSI Wind.

Anyone else reading this thread have a 3680? Opinions about hackentoshing it? Is it worth the hassle, or should i just get another Wind or a Dell 9? I'm not adverse to learning new hackentosh skills, but if it's really a PITA, I want to know before I start messing with it. I mean, after all, I did own one of the "Road Apple" 5300 PowerBooks, and it totally was an underpowered dog, and I didn't fully realize that until I saw how the husband's 2400 ran circles around it. I don't want to make that mistake again!

I'm still pissed that they never gave me a Vista reinstall disk with the 3680 -- so I haven't really played with it much because I don't have an instant way to reimage it if something really goes wrong. At least the Wind came with an XP restore disk, so I knew if I really farked it up I could at least reinstall XP.

I have a Acer Travelmate 8210

I am not able to install it all .

It keeps panicing on my Ethernet and there is no way to disable it in the bios.

Any suggestions?

Again, if you get past your Ethernet problem, this guy seems to be working on installers for the ATI X1600 mobility graphics chip, but on an individual basis:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry1068027

Avian! Thanks for your thoughts, an interesting read. I have a modified miracle ps2nub kext that I used to use kext helper B7 to install into the extensions folder of any non functioning keyboard set up. I think it was from Chun Nan. That was all I ever had to do, amazingly, and it worked every time, but when I was installing iATKOSv5 I was in an internet cafe and could only pinch kexts from my IPC partition. At the moment, I am just glad that everything bar sleep works!

Mate thats fantastic, a huge help. I didnt even know a universal ps2nub like that even existed. I just grabbed the acpips2nub/appleps2controller pair from chun nan's thread and it works a treat. Gonna give em a go in 10.5.2 and 10.5.5 (got em handy on usb sticks) just for curiosities sake in a bit. This just makes everything so much easier, might modify my previous post to simply things - will mean once the support files are in place, 5315 users can just upgrade willy nilly anywhere from 10.5.1 to 10.5.6 using official apple updates and no mucking about.

I have an Acer Aspire 3680...running teh Vista (ugh) would love to hackentosh it...but it seems complicated compared to the easy peasy osx86 install I had on the husband's MSI Wind.

Anyone else reading this thread have a 3680? Opinions about hackentoshing it? Is it worth the hassle, or should i just get another Wind or a Dell 9? I'm not adverse to learning new hackentosh skills, but if it's really a PITA, I want to know before I start messing with it. I mean, after all, I did own one of the "Road Apple" 5300 PowerBooks, and it totally was an underpowered dog, and I didn't fully realize that until I saw how the husband's 2400 ran circles around it. I don't want to make that mistake again!

I'm still pissed that they never gave me a Vista reinstall disk with the 3680 -- so I haven't really played with it much because I don't have an instant way to reimage it if something really goes wrong. At least the Wind came with an XP restore disk, so I knew if I really farked it up I could at least reinstall XP.

I backed up my Vista hard drive with a free Paragon Express program. I had to back up an image to a spare hard drive as it doesn't make bootable DVD rescue images, but it worked well. Unfortunately when you reinstall the image - in my case to a tri boot GUID partition - you need to repair via Command via the Vista DVD, but you can download a free program that will do that for you; it lets you into Vista Repair and Command modes. I will look out the commands I used tomorrow and put them up here, it's just a few lines, very easy. Hey, the program is free so I couldn't complain.

Please see my response, above, to jonno12345, re your 3680. 

Mate thats fantastic, a huge help. I didnt even know a universal ps2nub like that even existed. I just grabbed the acpips2nub/appleps2controller pair from chun nan's thread and it works a treat. Gonna give em a go in 10.5.2 and 10.5.5 (got em handy on usb sticks) just for curiosities sake in a bit. This just makes everything so much easier, might modify my previous post to simply things - will mean once the support files are in place, 5315 users can just upgrade willy nilly anywhere from 10.5.1 to 10.5.6 using official apple updates and no mucking about.
Ah, not sure it's a universal, as such, but I extracted it from a kext and, for whatever reason, just installing it in the extensions folder worked where everything else had failed. I remember I was at my whits end and in try anything mode. I had tried the package you mention on PCWiz's advice but it didn't work on my 4720z. On subsequent clean installs, just installing that kext got the keyboard recognised, or in 10.5.5 at least, worked on my 5620, also. I will try and find it tomorrow and post a link. Mileage may vary, as they say!

I am thinking and hoping hat changing 10.5.6's AppleHPET.kext for the one in 10.5.5 should get my firewire back. I forgot about that one, not wildly important but it would be good to get that back and boot from my external firewire HD.

I backed up my Vista hard drive with a free Paragon Express program.... I will look out the commands I used tomorrow and put them up here, it's just a few lines, very easy. Hey, the program is free so I couldn't complain.

That would be great! Not having a solid back up has really stopped me from experimenting with the 3680, and that has really reduced my use/enjoyment of it because I was worried I'd screw something up. I'm a fairly experienced computer user -- but Vista is a strange OS, and I had several heart stopping experiences just trying to get drivers working on it. I have my data backed up, but the system itself, no. I know that's bad. I'm violating my own first rule of computer use (Back Up! Back Up! Back Up!)

I'm getting a lot out of reading this thread, I'm glad you are all participating in keeping it alive. Thanks!

Oh, just so you know where I'm coming from -- my Acer Aspire 3680-2022, as far as I can tell has....

the Celeron M with the 420 processor,

1.6 ghz, 533 mhz, 1mb L2 cache

Intel 950 Graphics

"Realtek High Definition Audio"

the stock 80 g hd (I know, I should have upgraded it, maybe I will yet -- hd's are getting so cheap!)

it had 512 ram, but I put in 2g so I could play sims 2 on it. :)

it's got a dvd cd rw, the card reader (which I have used a bit)

the Atheros AR5005G Wireless Adapter and the Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCIE Fast Internet Controller

problems I have with it (in Vista, I haven't tried a linux or a Mas OS on it yet) -- I have the same stupid headphone jack not working problem everyone else does. The microphone input works, but the headphone jack -- no go. I bought an external sound card (usb, logitech, very sweet) it won't use it. The Realtek sound manager overrides it and won't let me select headphones. I hate that. The usb soundcard works great -- I use it on my mac mini, and it also worked int he Wind Hackentosh, so I know the card is good. But Vista/The Realtek sound manager hates it. Not being able to use headphones has really cramped my style. I tried updating the sound drivers but it hasn't helped one bit. So If I hackentoshed it and could use the external usb sound, I think I'd really be happier.

The wireless card is fussy too, tho I think that's the fault of the Acer E Net Management program more than the card.

Okay -- so that's the machine I'm talking about.

Ideally I'd like to dual boot so I can continue to play sims 2 on it :)

That would be great! Not having a solid back up has really stopped me from experimenting with the 3680, and that has really reduced my use/enjoyment of it because I was worried I'd screw something up. I'm a fairly experienced computer user -- but Vista is a strange OS, and I had several heart stopping experiences just trying to get drivers working on it. I have my data backed up, but the system itself, no. I know that's bad. I'm violating my own first rule of computer use (Back Up! Back Up! Back Up!)

I'm getting a lot out of reading this thread, I'm glad you are all participating in keeping it alive. Thanks!

Oh, just so you know where I'm coming from -- my Acer Aspire 3680-2022, as far as I can tell has....

the Celeron M with the 420 processor,

1.6 ghz, 533 mhz, 1mb L2 cache

Intel 950 Graphics

"Realtek High Definition Audio"

the stock 80 g hd (I know, I should have upgraded it, maybe I will yet -- hd's are getting so cheap!)

it had 512 ram, but I put in 2g so I could play sims 2 on it. :)

it's got a dvd cd rw, the card reader (which I have used a bit)

the Atheros AR5005G Wireless Adapter and the Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCIE Fast Internet Controller

problems I have with it (in Vista, I haven't tried a linux or a Mas OS on it yet) -- I have the same stupid headphone jack not working problem everyone else does. The microphone input works, but the headphone jack -- no go. I bought an external sound card (usb, logitech, very sweet) it won't use it. The Realtek sound manager overrides it and won't let me select headphones. I hate that. The usb soundcard works great -- I use it on my mac mini, and it also worked int he Wind Hackentosh, so I know the card is good. But Vista/The Realtek sound manager hates it. Not being able to use headphones has really cramped my style. I tried updating the sound drivers but it hasn't helped one bit. So If I hackentoshed it and could use the external usb sound, I think I'd really be happier.

The wireless card is fussy too, tho I think that's the fault of the Acer E Net Management program more than the card.

Okay -- so that's the machine I'm talking about.

Ideally I'd like to dual boot so I can continue to play sims 2 on it :)

I think there are plenty people on insanelymac who well tell you Celeron M is workable with Leo and, frankly, unless you are doing high end video work, a lot of photoshop, and so on, I can't see why people like to try and out spec real macs and then point at the macs and say they are poor value. You're not paying for the component spec, you're paying for the gorgeous cases, the aesthetics, the extraordinary customer service, the amazing operating system... but I digress.

Yes, bump up the memory. If you're mad keen to get iWork and iLife and don't yet have Leopard, Apple now sell the three together at an amazing price. Though keep in mind that the modest-ish price of the memory upgrade and the software could be put toward buying a new or used iMac.

I would forget about backing up and instead buy a new hard drive. They are cheap and you don't need to buy a huge one. Leopard apparently likes 50gigs of slack, though I have yet to have anyone explain to me why that should be. Any takers? Just make sure you are replacing like with like. Is it Sata? and so on. That way if you decide to sell the Acer, you just pop the old hard drive in there, no hassles. The new hard drive you can pop into an encluse or one of those cheap USB docking stations. Just a thought.

Dual booting can be a bit hit and miss. What I do is use the free Gparted Live CD (burn it to disc as an image in Nero, or whatever and boot from it) to partition the hard drive as Fat32 and make it active/boot. The in Disk Utility, click on your hard drive, click on the Partition tab, make three partitions, click on Options (I think it is) and make sure you select 'GUID', assuming that will work with your older hard drive. Make the first partition MSDOS and the next two mac journalled. Install OS X on the second partition, then install it again on the third. That way, if you break your primary Mac partition, you can easily repair it from the second; also you don't have any down time if you have to carry on working on a document or whatever. Then use Paragon to install your Vista image to the MSDOS partition. As I say, you will need an external hard drive to save the Vista partition image to, first. You then have to perform a repair with either your Vista DVD or, if you don't have that, you can download a free and legal disc image that is essentially the Vista install DVD but without the operating system on it, just the prepartatory partition manager and command shell, etc. I will put up a link to that when I get home, plus the command you will need to type into Command to get the Vista partition operational; Vista's automatic repair won't do it.

That's odd about the USB soundcard not working under Vista, what a pain. I read stories about people writing off to Acer and others, asking for a Vista install DVD. It is a charged item, these days, and not all manufacturers play ball. I was fortunate that my dead HP laptop at least left me with a Vista installer DVD. Acer seem to think the the first thing a person will do when they excitedly plug in their laptop for the first time is make an image of the hard drive with the supplied software, where usually they start surfing and pick up a bunch of malware and virus. Ha!

I think there are plenty people on insanelymac who well tell you Celeron M is workable with Leo and, frankly, unless you are doing high end video work, a lot of photoshop, and so on, I can't see why people like to try and out spec real macs and then point at the macs and say they are poor value. ...

Acer seem to think the the first thing a person will do when they excitedly plug in their laptop for the first time is make an image of the hard drive with the supplied software, where usually they start surfing and pick up a bunch of malware and virus. Ha!

I know there are at least a couple people with Acer 3680 hackintoshes, so I was pretty sure my Celeron M would work. But it's still reassuring to hear you say so. Oh, I love real macs, I have several -- don't get me wrong -- I am definitely one of those people who would buy more macs if there was an upgradeable midrange option, but the low end ones are underpowered, and the upper end ones are over priced. I can't win there. But as for performance, I'm not at all disappointed in the hackintoshes I've seen in rl (a toshiba satellite, and I think and eepc) I've never had a top of the line mac at home to play with -- at least not when it was new, so the "performance comparison" between mackintoshes and real macs is not really a valid yardstick for me.

Anyways, I *might* have that self burned image -- I kind of remember following set up instructions to make some kind of image,,,took like 5 disks. I was actually worried that it wasn't setting up properly, since I had never had a computer ask to burn disks during the set up before. . hm, let me go look. do you know what should be on those disks if that is what it is?

I know there are at least a couple people with Acer 3680 hackintoshes, so I was pretty sure my Celeron M would work. But it's still reassuring to hear you say so. Oh, I love real macs, I have several -- don't get me wrong -- I am definitely one of those people who would buy more macs if there was an upgradeable midrange option, but the low end ones are underpowered, and the upper end ones are over priced. I can't win there. But as for performance, I'm not at all disappointed in the hackintoshes I've seen in rl (a toshiba satellite, and I think and eepc) I've never had a top of the line mac at home to play with -- at least not when it was new, so the "performance comparison" between mackintoshes and real macs is not really a valid yardstick for me.

Anyways, I *might* have that self burned image -- I kind of remember following set up instructions to make some kind of image,,,took like 5 disks. I was actually worried that it wasn't setting up properly, since I had never had a computer ask to burn disks during the set up before. . hm, let me go look. do you know what should be on those disks if that is what it is?

well i have now got kalyway 10.5.2 working perfect on my apire 3680 aprt from i cant get the sound to work. any help from any1 would be great. but i cant get ideneb 10.5.5 to work or iatkos v5i. so stick with kalyway and just go for it. also the wan card works great. again any help on then sound problem then please could sum1 help

Edit isn't working for me. Let's assume you have just installed your Paragon Express image to your msdos partition that you made with Disk Utility. You will find when you try to boot from the Vista option in the Chameleon bootloader you will see an error message that reads

NTLDR is missing.

That is odd as NTLDR is XP, not Vista. Possibly Paragon Express wasn't designed with Vista in mind. though I was told it is copatible.

Anyway, you will need to boot into the Vista repair environment from the Vista DVD or the freely available Vista tools/utilities DVD. Make sure you select American English as language or you might struggle to generate a \ unless you plug in an external keyboard! Don't select Repair, it won't work. Go through the full menu and select Command.

There you need to type the following

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

del C:\boot\bcd

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

The Vista option in the Chameleon bootloader should now work.

There are any number of Acer users with Celeron M processors on here, it should work fine with the memory upgrade.

I don't find the newer Macs are underpowered. You only need extra grunt of a Mac Pro, say, if you are doing high end video work or constantly rendering or are an especially hard core Photoshop user, or say. games design.

At the time of writing insanelymac's Edit button isn't working. Getting back to Vista. For those who don't have a Vista install DVD and find themselves unable to repair a broken Vista install/reimage, the program you are looking for is called Windows Vista Recovery Disc and it is made by Neosmart. It is free and legal and you just burn it to CD as an image.

Acer Aspire 5735

HI i am quite new to installing OS X but i have just bought my new laptop and was wondering if it is possible for a successful installation

My specs are listed below.

The thing that stands out the most is my graphics card.

thanks.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6400

(2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2MB Cache)

3GB memory

250 GB Hard Drive

Windows Vista Home Premium

Built in webcam

DVD RW SuperMulti Double Layer

15.6" Screen

Mobile Intel GM45 Express Graphics Card

3 No. of USB Connections

Acer Aspire 5735

HI i am quite new to installing OS X but i have just bought my new laptop and was wondering if it is possible for a successful installation

My specs are listed below.

The thing that stands out the most is my graphics card.

thanks.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6400

(2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2MB Cache)

3GB memory

250 GB Hard Drive

Windows Vista Home Premium

Built in webcam

DVD RW SuperMulti Double Layer

15.6" Screen

Mobile Intel GM45 Express Graphics Card

3 No. of USB Connections

The short answer is no, Intel's GMA 4500MHD graphics chip isn't supported in OS X.

You could run the laptop in VESA graphics mode at a fixed resolution of 1024x768, which is a little like running Vista in Safe Mode; it wouldn't look too hot and the fancy graphical effects in Dashboard and so on won't work. Also, some of the better key Mac applications won't run. Basically you would be missing on on some of the better things that make OS X a pleasure to use. A world of frustration. If you hate Vista you could go the Linux route or you could content yourself with Vista, for now, which runs quite nicely at 2 - 3GB and wait for Windows 7. There is always the outside possibility that someone will write a driver for your laptop's graphics chip but Apple themselves have no plans to use it, as far as we know, so it would be a big undertaking.

Hi Guys,

I have Acer Extensa 5620Z (3A1G16MI), Dual Core T2370, Mobile Intel Graphics media Accelerator X3100, 1GB memory, 802.11 b/g WLAN,Suyin Webcamera, 160GB Sata HDD running on OSX 10.5.6.

I have spent a lot of time to bring OSX up but finaly it's working with no issue sleep mode is not working only.(Webcam is working with Skype only using "rosetta", however it has been detected by OS ???)

I started with Kalyway 10.5.2 and upgraded the OS to 10.5.6 from Mac website in one single step using netkas method.

I used the following kexts/files

WLAN support: bcm43xx_enabler.sh

LAN support: AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Battery issue : Kalyway 10.5.2 Powermanagement.bundle patch replacing the same files in 10.5.6

(AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAPIC.kext and PowerManagement.bundle)

USB keyboard&mouse issue: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Regards,

Akita

Hi Guys,

I have Acer Extensa 5620Z (3A1G16MI), Dual Core T2370, Mobile Intel Graphics media Accelerator X3100, 1GB memory, 802.11 b/g WLAN,Suyin Webcamera, 160GB Sata HDD running on OSX 10.5.6.

I have spent a lot of time to bring OSX up but finaly it's working with no issue sleep mode is not working only.(Webcam is working with Skype only using "rosetta", however it has been detected by OS ???)

I started with Kalyway 10.5.2 and upgraded the OS to 10.5.6 from Mac website in one single step using netkas method.

I used the following kexts/files

WLAN support: bcm43xx_enabler.sh

LAN support: AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

Battery issue : Kalyway 10.5.2 Powermanagement.bundle patch replacing the same files in 10.5.6

(AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleAPIC.kext and PowerManagement.bundle)

USB keyboard&mouse issue: AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Regards,

Akita

Its great that you've used netkas's method and upgraded to 10.5.6 using the real apple update. Best way to do it IMO and surprised more people dont do it that way. Would save many people hours of time mixing/matching kext's to fix problems that wouldnt be there to begin with.

What battery issue did you have? You shouldve been able to keep the original 10.5.6 kext's and just add AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext (got it somewhere on this forum, forgot where - maybe this thread). Worked for me.

Need some help-

Here's the story. I have 2 Acer Aspire Ones that I am installing OS X. The first one is perfect with no problems except for the standard no card reader and kernel panic message at shutdown under battery power. The second one is where I have the problem. Installed everything (Kalyway) just like the other, but after I do a shut down (battery or plugged in), it won't boot up. Nothing at all but a black screen. I hear the fan running and power button is lit, but nothing at all on the screen. If it sits for about 15 mins, it will boot up with no problem. After shutdown, same problem. I can do a restart all I want with no problems. I even wiped the drive and did a complete reinstall of all software and kexts.

Any ideas?

Thanks-

Need some help-

Here's the story. I have 2 Acer Aspire Ones that I am installing OS X. The first one is perfect with no problems except for the standard no card reader and kernel panic message at shutdown under battery power. The second one is where I have the problem. Installed everything (Kalyway) just like the other, but after I do a shut down (battery or plugged in), it won't boot up. Nothing at all but a black screen. I hear the fan running and power button is lit, but nothing at all on the screen. If it sits for about 15 mins, it will boot up with no problem. After shutdown, same problem. I can do a restart all I want with no problems. I even wiped the drive and did a complete reinstall of all software and kexts.

Any ideas?

Thanks-

Could be that one has a hardware revision over the other and is less 'compatible' but I would check and see if both are running the same bios revision. If they are, try running XP or Linux on the blackout model and see if the problem is the same, in which case it's obviously a faulty unit. You could do the crazy thing of mix and matching the two, by which I mean swapping the hard drives around, and so on, but the Aspire One is fiddly as hell to service, so I would leave well alone. There are a lot of Aspire One threads and forums out there, though. It seems to be a community unto itself, we don't see a lot of Aspire One users in this thread. Would be good to hear how you get on.

Getting back to the bios, if you decide to re-flash the bios, try then loading the bios default setting before then rebooting into the bios to set your preferred bios settings. I found on my Aspire 4720z that if I didn't do that, before then selecting my preferred bios settings, the laptop didn't seem to register that it was running a new bios, beyond that the bios revision number was displaying the latest version number. Crazy as it sounds, I read about that on an Acer forum; it was as though CMOS hadn't been cleared. A corrupted bios is rare and flashing the bios isn't without risk, especially if some other fault is suspected. Don't want to turn your laptop into a useless paperweight. Let us know how you go.

• 4 weeks later...

Sleep. Not something I am very good at but I hoped to make my Acer Extensa 5620 better at it.

I downloaded and installed the free Dashboard deep sleep widget but it didn't work for me. I went to Superhai's homepage and downloaded VoodooUSBEHCI.kext As you will see, he instructs you to modify the plist in one of the plugins of the IOUSBFamily.kext, which I did. I then reinstalled IOUSBFamily.kext and installed VoodooUSBEHCI.kext using kext helper, repaired permissions, deleted mkext, restarted the computer with the -f prompt. Restarted again. When I clicked the deep sleep widget in Dashboard, hiberanation was working, which is to say the screen, fans and LED went off. When I pressed the power button and started up again, I found myself back at the desktop quickly but that the volume on sound is very low. Anyone know of a workaround? Regular sleep doesn't work for me, just screen sleep. If I close the lid - I think I seleced clamshell.kext from the ipc OSx86 installer, though Superhai appears to have removed it from his download page - and then open it again, the power LED blinks orange. When I press the power button it takes me to the desktop but wifi no longer works and you can't get it to come back on without a reboot... Useless!

If anyone knows of workarounds for these problems and how to get regular sleep, it would be good to read you. :)

Hi guys, this is Detosx under a new name, hopefully temporarily so. My previous account is inaccessible and hopefully the good folks in Admin can get to the bottom of the why. If I did offend anyone, I apologise.

Getting back to the issue of Sleep, any takers? :unsure:

My setup:

Acer Aspire 4720Z

iPC 10.5.6

Vodoo Kernel

Audio working with ACL268

Hybernation working

Battery Meter

Webcam not working

WLAN BCM 4311 detected can´t turn on (will try the pin 20 hack), working now with Ralink 2500 Drivers and Dlink DWL-G122 ver B USB stick

Graphics working with XMA3100 drivers.

SATA working.

Seatbelt applied.

CPUS=2 applied in Vodoo Kernel.

Applied Nun-chan fix for mini PCI-E detection.

DVD burning working.

Haven't been able to edit AVC HD videos from my Panasonic SD1 camera.

My setup:

Acer Aspire 4720Z

iPC 10.5.6

Vodoo Kernel

Hybernation working

Battery Meter

Webcam not working

WLAN BCM 4311 detected can´t turn on (will try the pin 20 hack), working now with Ralink 2500 Drivers and Dlink DWL-G122 ver B USB stick

SATA working.

Seatbelt applied.

DVD burning working.

hey i have 4720z too...about bcm4311 i get it working(now i can turn it on) by replacing 10.5.6's IO80211Family.kext with 10.5.5's IO80211Family.kext

how did you manage to get hibernation(sleep) working?

:(

My setup:

Acer Aspire 4720Z

iPC 10.5.6

Vodoo Kernel

Hybernation working

Battery Meter

Webcam not working

SATA working.

Seatbelt applied.

DVD burning working.

Hi Epuk. The pin 20 trick works well, though you do need a steady hand an a magnifying glass. Some people were using Scotch tape, which I would strongly advise against. The advantage of transparent tape is that you can see where you are scoring with your craft knife, but it is possible to make the pins stand out clearly by putting a piece of electrical tape across them and then rubbing it with a lollipop stick or similar, then you can see where to cut and then pull away the excess tape.

Do you ever have occasional bootup problems?

hey i have 4720z too...about bcm4311 i get it working(now i can turn it on) by replacing 10.5.6's IO80211Family.kext with 10.5.5's IO80211Family.kext

how did you manage to get hibernation(sleep) working?

:)

Hi redjaru, again this is Detosx under new user name.

That's interesting. For me, when I first tried the bcm4311, I think I was on 10.5.5 and I couldn't get it working without the pin fix and IOPCIFamily.kext patched by Chun-Nan. I need to check back and see. I would prefer that it was switchable. Wi-Fi uses up precious power when on battery.

In my case I got hibernation working on my 5620 (I haven't set it up on the 4720, yet) by downloading the free Dashboard 'deep sleep' widget, which you can find via your preferred search engine, and installing Superhai's suite - search for Superhai and darwin - you want the first three items, which are battery, power and USB. According to Superhai you need to make sure you have vanilla ACPI and power management. In a forum someone mentioned that if you have Chun Nan's battery management installed you will need to uninstall it to avoid conflicts with Superhai's, the visible manifistation of which is two battery icons showing up! I needed the USB fix to allow hibernation and lid sleep when my USB hard drive was plugged in. Hope that helps, though you might want to wait to hear back from epuk or Message to see if the same applies to the 4720. I will try myself over the weekend.

Incidentally, you will find that your volume level is low when you come out of hibernation. I have yet to find a fix for that. I can get lid sleep to work but when you come out of sleep, wifi doesn't work and you need to reboot to bring it back. If anyone has a workaround for either of those, it would be good to hear.

In my case I got hibernation working on my 5620 (I haven't set it up on the 4720, yet) by downloading the free Dashboard 'deep sleep' widget, which you can find via your preferred search engine, and installing Superhai's suite - search for Superhai and darwin - you want the first three items, which are battery, power and USB. According to Superhai you need to make sure you have vanilla ACPI and power management. In a forum someone mentioned that if you have Chun Nan's battery management installed you will need to uninstall it to avoid conflicts with Superhai's, the visible manifistation of which is two battery icons showing up! I needed the USB fix to allow hibernation and lid sleep when my USB hard drive was plugged in. Hope that helps, though you might want to wait to hear back from epuk or Message to see if the same applies to the 4720. I will try myself over the weekend.

Incidentally, you will find that your volume level is low when you come out of hibernation. I have yet to find a fix for that. I can get lid sleep to work but when you come out of sleep, wifi doesn't work and you need to reboot to bring it back. If anyone has a workaround for either of those, it would be good to hear.

so what i have to do is first make sure that i have vanilla acpi and power managemen? im using vanilla kernel but how do i know if i have vanilla ACPI? and how about power management? do i have to download it first?

after that i just have to install the widget and the three kext supplied by superhai?

how about the usb fix? where can i get that?

thx detosx for your help once again :wallbash:

Hi all,

I have updated my kalyway 10.5.1@10.5.5 to 10.5.6 with success. I just change my bootloader to chameleon and i've created a dsdt.aml but my network card (broadcom 440x) works only in safe mode. Someone can helpme with this issue?