Apple files for Anti-Piracy Patent

fagosu

20 posts in this topic

A front page news item in MacRumors.com is talking about a couple of patents filed by Apple, with the second being the most interesting one: They want to have an anti-piracy software mechanism in OSX that would render applications unusable if they are not running in "Apple Approved" hardware.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/20/apple-...ghting-patents/

lol, apple releases anti piracy mechanisms, we (the devs... not me) crack it.... its a vicious circle :D

who cares.... its just another road block to go around, over, under, through, whatever.... you get the idea. nothing is hackproof.

who cares.... its just another road block to go around, over, under, through, whatever.... you get the idea. nothing is hackproof.

True, but the process described in the article looks like it'd be a real pain to get around.

True, but the process described in the article looks like it'd be a real pain to get around.

haha, antipiracy measures are SUPPOSED to be a pain to get around :D

which sucks

but its logical....

if its that much of a pain to get around it might be too much of a pain to implement :D

who knows..... theres no changing apples mind (well.... our community at least... if corporate/actual owners {censored} and moan they MIGHT remove it, or if it works very badly.... but i doubt that)

i guess well just wait and see :/

To my understand, this is not about hackintosh this is about a system that will look similar to the OS Windows XP, in which the user one installed software, it is licensed to that particular hardware, if the user decided to install that software in another mac or hackintosh then it will recognize that was installed previously in another hardware and will not allow to install or perhaps need to reactivation, this system probably is going to use activation, same used by Windows XP. I maybe wrong but this is what I understood.

What a bad move for Apple. Everything depends from the way it's implemented.

That patent is not very clear and understandable, it can be a way to prevent the piracy of software through DRMs or simply another attempt to make us desist from hacking OS X.

Though, as log as it's hardware based, I suppose it will be based on the TPM chip.

Sherry Haibara

It doesnt suggest at all that OSX the OS will be drm'd. It suggests that it will allow third party people like Adobe or a DVD to implement a DRM scheme like itunes if they please.

Im guessing this is only for Bluray, Apple doesnt officialy support it yet since they dont have a DRM scheme like Vista, they will eventually have to support HD formats. "Hardware" is probably refering to a disc drive or video card.

True. That (admittedly) was before I read the article *feels sheepish*

I really meant if Apple chucks a Microsoft and puts in real anti-piracy measures, I switch.

Currently on beige boxes I would run Linux because none of the ones I get my hands on are fast enough for Mac or even good Windows games... DOS games are more likely tho.

This implementation wouldn't be a problem for legit users. It will probably authenticate main Apple hardware since Apple doesn't use tons of different motherboards.

People stomping their feet saying this is {censored} claiming to switch are funny if they've illegally installed it on their non-Apple computers. Apple has the right to protect their business.