JamesD

56 posts in this topic

"[the code below activates your partition]

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX [X=0 in my case]

update

f Y [Y=2 in my case]

w

q"

excuse me....can somebody explain me how to deal with these command line?

after installing leopard.....reboot ....i still get a error messege something like..... "system config "com.apple.boot.plist" not found "

thanks !

p5k-e wifi/ap

e2140

DDR 2 800 1G X2

Worked great for me, Thank You so much. I did have to replace the kernel with a modified one on IRC, probably because i have a Pentium D and i kept getting the reboot problem at start.

-I do have a question, in the event that my OS dies and i cant revive it and i have to reinstall OSX then can I erase the partition then run all the code to make that partition the primary boot one, and install the EFI bootloader? or will i have to completely repartition the drive?

The reason I ask this is because i have 2 other partitions on the drive with all my data and i don't want to lose them.

pkstylez: install EFI GUID means do the thing all over again, everything mentioned in this tutorial. How to replace kernel? no offence but you could've use the search tool. supposedly you know how to download the new kernel, unzip to/Volumes/123/FOLDER/, boot into DVD and cd to /Volumes/123/FOLDER, and do a

cp mach_kernel /Volumes/LEOPARD PARTITION NAME/

if you still don't understand, search for other posts.

richtig: THANKS SO MUCH. I'LL TEST IT MYSELF AND UPDATE THE ORIGINAL POST. :D

shinemac: i think i answered your question in my previous reply. did you try what i said? and how to do these command: boot into your DVD, enter terminal, and then type these commands.

yikes535: You DON'T need to partition the HDD again, and you won't lose data on other partitions. don't worry. just erase your leopard partition if you wanna, leave the other two.

Didnt work for me.

After entering fdisk and doing the commands, when it gets to "w" it says it need to reboot to apply the changes. I have to type "y" to get passed it.

I also get "resource is busy" at "dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1"

When I reboot theres just a blinking cursor.

idividebyzero: well, if you get the resource is busy thing, means you failed to unmount some of the partitions. try to do all the unmount commands before you do "dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1". unmount is the most important part

"[the code below activates your partition]

after installing leopard.....reboot ....i still get a error messege something like..... "system config "com.apple.boot.plist" not found "

thanks !

p5k-e wifi/ap

e2140

DDR 2 800 1G X2

same prob for me .... after installing everything successfully, when i reboot, get the same not found error .. what to do JamesD? Support required!! :blink:

Plucka: i can help you on this. 1) open your disk utility (DU for short), check if your 123 volume is mounted. if not, unplug the usb key, and plug it in again. if you see the volume named 123, you're good to go. if you can't get it working still, try formatting the drive under OS X with HFS+. it's a small problem you just need to be patient and careful. 2) i get these errors to. just ignore them. follow my guide you should have no problem installing it.

Hey JamesD, thanks for the tips, but nothing seems to help I have tried all sorts of combinations but I keep getting the same message when it comes time to install efi I type in: [ cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v80 ] and then I just get this message no such file or directory In DU 123 shows up in any format HFS+ or Fat32 so it is mounted. I have my Jmicron controller disabled, the DVD is set as first boot device and my blank HD is set as second boot device.

On a side note I ingnored all the errors whilst using your method and went through with the install, at boot I just get a blinking cursor and nothing more.

WHERE AM I GOING WRONG? Why cant I succeed? Please help me with this, I have spent long hours trying and not succeeding!

Thanks for any help you may have for me, cheers, Plucka

try:1)change a usb key drive2)format it with HFS+3)copy files to it again in OSX (don't use XP+macdrive)4)reboot to installation disk, cd to the USB key root "cd /Volumes/123/"5)do a "ls" command, see if you can list all ur files & foldersthis should be a really simple problem.

Plucka: i can help you on this. 1) open your disk utility (DU for short), check if your 123 volume is mounted. if not, unplug the usb key, and plug it in again. if you see the volume named 123, you're good to go. if you can't get it working still, try formatting the drive under OS X with HFS+. it's a small problem you just need to be patient and careful. 2) i get these errors to. just ignore them. follow my guide you should have no problem installing it.Hey JamesD, thanks for the tips, but nothing seems to help I have tried all sorts of combinations but I keep getting the same message when it comes time to install efi I type in: [ cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v80 ] and then I just get this message no such file or directory In DU 123 shows up in any format HFS+ or Fat32 so it is mounted. I have my Jmicron controller disabled, the DVD is set as first boot device and my blank HD is set as second boot device.On a side note I ingnored all the errors whilst using your method and went through with the install, at boot I just get a blinking cursor and nothing more.WHERE AM I GOING WRONG? Why cant I succeed? Please help me with this, I have spent long hours trying and not succeeding!Thanks for any help you may have for me, cheers, Plucka
Hi, May I know if I can install windows XP 32bit on top of it? (In the same harddrive)
no, you can't. 32bit XP won't boot on GUID.

Ifollowed the intructions to the letter however after I install Leopard and rebooted my computer I am still getting boot.plist is not found message.

I have a guid partition

when I ran diskutil list

I had disk0 as my guid hd

disk0s1 as my efi

disk0s2 and my leo partition

Any suggestions

Hi,

with regards to installing EFI v8 with the ToH dvd, I've got a machine with 3.0ghz P4, gigabyte GA-8S661FXM F6 with SiS onboard graphics, 512mb ram ddr400, 80gb hd, external 160gb hd. Will I be able to install ToH, and Efi v8? Also I've heard that with the ToH dvd after you install it some people cannot boot before they type in command lines, if I install efi v8 will I be able to boot strieght away or will I still have to go through those command lines. Also by installing EFI v8 does that automatically make my computer to be recognised as a real mac, and hence allows me to normally install updates such as 10.5.2 when it is released?

Thanks

8. Install leopard normally, just don't touch disk utility again, and NEVER EVEN ENTER any partition programs such as partition magic or something unless you know what you are doing.

Everything went as planned (EFI V8, GUID all OK), but after ToH is installed, on the reboot I get kernel panic. Since there is no "9. Do x, y, z", etc., to your instructions I must have done something wrong...can you help?

/mdg.

try:1)change a usb key drive2)format it with HFS+3)copy files to it again in OSX (don't use XP+macdrive)4)reboot to installation disk, cd to the USB key root "cd /Volumes/123/"5)do a "ls" command, see if you can list all ur files & foldersthis should be a really simple problem. no, you can't. 32bit XP won't boot on GUID.
Hey JamesD,

I have tried to do this now since last week, but with out any succes, I cant see why the usb drive is not being seen when I type the commands in, could you please tell me where its going wrong, it cant be the usb stick as all the other installs I have on other HDs in my computer are able to see, read and write to this usb stick, do you have anymore ideas? Please give an example of the command you mentioned here above in your last reply? "cd /Volumes/123/" when I type this in it just goes to the next Bash line without listing anything at all?

Cheers, Plucka

Hi,

I have a laptop and I normally dont touch the partitions of my internal laptop HDD. I always install my Leopard using an External USB hdd (using MBR) and everything seems ok.

Now, I want to try GUID. My internal hdd's assignment is disk0s1 (NTFS, Vista) // my usb hdd assignment is disk1s1 (My Leo)

My question is, by doing the guide carefully, will it endanger my disk0s1 (where my Vista stays) in ANY way?

I'm not sure how GUID works but I just dont want to mess up the internal hdd of my laptop. Disk Utility shows that all my partitions are there (vista, NTFS) and external hdd (where my osx86 Leo mbr is installed). One of the instructions is to unmount all existing hard drives. Do I still have to unmount my NTFS partitions?

Please help.

THank you very much.

i followed this guide and it went mnostly well, but I am stuck at the apple logo, I removed AppleEFIRuntime.kext and replaced the kernel to vanilla due to a panic. I used ToH. any ideas why might be wrong here? or what else needs further patching?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am a first-time poster. :)

I'm having some trouble running Leopard via the EFI Patch/GUID Partitioning Scheme...I've been using the BrazilMac_PatchedDVD disc without EFI, and it has been working rather well. I've been even to upgrade to 10.5.1 via repatching.

Now I am following the guide of JamesD, and am able to get to the part where the .plist message shows up (which means the patching worked). But when I install Leopard, I am not able to boot into the system, and my machine ends up rebooting endlessly (guide says I can boot straight into Leopad without post-patch). I used the files provided by i_am...me, which includes EFI.sh and PostPatch.sh files.

I don't know if I missed an implied step, I just followed the guide's directions. Maybe I was supposed to use some of those files said earlier, because I didn't...

Could you guys help me out? I'm sorta confused about this. Below are some of my machine's specs:

Dell Dimension 3000

Intel "Prescott" P4 @ 2.8GHz

1.25 GB PC3200 memory

82865G Chipset

80Gb HDD (with Leopard and Vista) + 40GB HDD (for XP MCE)

GeForce FX 5200 128MB PCI card

Oh! Also, does anyboby know if the Netgear WG111T USB Wireless Adaptor can be configured for Leopard, and even Tiger? I've read it is not supported by Apple, but any takers?

Thanks for your input!