[GUIDE] Install EFI v8 on GUID - The easiest way

JamesD

56 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
idividebyzero: well, if you get the resource is busy thing, means you failed to unmount some of the partitions. try to do all the unmount commands before you do "dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1". unmount is the most important part

You just made my day..thanks

• 3 months later...

2 LamesD

thanks for the topic.

Now about my experience.

I made it !!!!!!!!!! =)

But .

First of all I downloaded next EFI pack http://rapidshare.com/files/75234066/EFI_Pack.zip.html (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76571)

Next I followed your guide. But !!!! After reboot I became "HFS+ partition error"

Next I installed Mac OS X and it is fine now.

P.S. Somewhere in this forum I found "bootefi" script witch can install ether the Drawin or the EFI . But with this script I couldn't correctly install pair the vanilla kernel + EFI, but it is great tool to write boot loader in the MBR becouse after rescue a Mac partition PC give "b0 error"

P.P.S. Hope this help me to get S3 sleep mode.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Finally got this working, thank you to everyone sharing their install info/hints/tips!!!

I was having a weird issue, wonder if anyone was having the same thing:

After following all the steps and then rebooting after installing to the GUID partition I was getting just "_" cursor

If I left the dvd in the drive then I could boot into OS X normally (If i understand this correctly it means that os x was using the EFI loader form the dvd drive and not off the hdd and that's why hdd wasn't working or giving a cursor error..?)

So I booted off dvd and into single user mode "-s"

when i did "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0"

and then "p"

none of my partitions were marked active...even though i did it and saved "w" before i did the install, I even re checked afterwards with "p" again and it was active.

it's almost as if after I installed os x into the hard drive that it removed any of the partitions being active

anyways, i activated partition 1 active "f 1" "w" "q"

rebooted and then os x booted off the hdd without the dvd just fine!

Once booted I wanted to test out the GUID functions of resizing the partitions

I opened diskutility and resized my main partition (that my os was installed on) from 300 gb to 50 GB

I clicked apply and it took a few seconds then was successful

Next I tried rebooting and then got the same thing as before "_" blinking cursor

I had to go back into single user mode and re-mark my partition active

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is this normal behavior or am expecting something to work that shouldn't?

Just curious if anyone has gone through this, or if this is just something in my luck :D

I am using iDeneb dvd to install/boot from

thanks for any help / insights!