[GUIDE] Install EFI v8 on GUID - The easiest way

JamesD

56 posts in this topic

There are already guides out there in the sticky, that all of you for the info, I learned all from you guys.

But this guide is easier: less reboots to the DVD, less command lines you need to type, covers everything including activating partition. So that it saves you a lot of time and trouble. You definitely wanna try this one.

What you need:

1. a USB key drive labled with "123".

2. pc_efi_v80 package: the files are in http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952

3. Leopard ToH RC2 Installation DVD

Step by step guide:

1. upzip the pc_efi_v80 package. move the pc_efi_v80 folder under the root of your USB key drive.

2. backup your HDD data that you're gonna install leopard/efi on. ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED.

3. boot to your ToH DVD, if you get stuck in the process, you may try safe boot by press F8 during the boot menu, input -x, and press enter

4. enter disk utility, click on your harddrive icon(not those mounted partition icons under it), choose partition tab in the right panel, you'll know how to partition your HDD then.

5. Before click Apply, make sure you click option below the partition chart, and choose GUID table, click OK

6. enter Terminal. do the following commands and DOUBLE CHECK them before execution. Contents between "[]" are descriptions and shall not be entered into terminal.

diskutil list
[note your disk identifier diskXsY for the partition you'd like to have leopard installed, such as disk0s2 in my case, then X=0/Y=2]
diskutil unmount diskX
diskutil unmount diskXs1
diskutil unmount diskXs2
diskutil unmount diskXs3
diskutil unmount diskXs4
[I do it for EVERY partition for precautions, it only takes a little bit more time but makes it much more likely to succeed]
[the code below activates your partition]
fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX [X=0 in my case]
update
f Y [Y=2 in my case]
w
q
[OK now do the unmount steps again]
diskutil unmount diskX
diskutil unmount diskXs1
diskutil unmount diskXs2
diskutil unmount diskXs3
diskutil unmount diskXs4
[Let's get down to besiness, it's time to install efi]
cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v80
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

7. Reboot. You should be able to see something like "*** /boot.plist is not found ***" and that means you just DID IT.

8. Install leopard normally, just don't touch disk utility again, and NEVER EVEN ENTER any partition programs such as partition magic or something unless you know what you are doing.

Reference:

i_am...me's guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952 especially useful for his easy-to-follow demostration for creating GUID partitions.

BJMoose's guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74705 i wouldn't know how to active partitions without this one.

netkas: author of pc_efi. our hero. check out what he has to say about GUID: http://netkas.org/?page_id=35

FAQ:

Why do I have to lable the USB drive "123"

You don't. You can lable it anything you want. Just make relevant changes in terminal commands when you refer to the drive.

Can I use the other DVDs such as the Brazilmac patched one?

I think every installation DVD that has an Option button to choose GUID partition table in the partition interface work. But as far as i'm concerned, some DVDs don't. such as kalyway 10.4.10 DVD.

Do I need to run any post-patch fix or fix-boot scripts after installing leopard?

Nope you don't. with pc efi you can boot right into Leopard without them.

P.S

1. Thanks to all previous guides. In fact I'm a n00b, without your guides i'd never be able to make this one.

2. I test this several times on my Intel D945GCL mobo. Works great. I think it's the easiest way, and quicker than any former posts. No pc_efi_v74 needed, no reboot required, just one single time to boot into installation DVD and ALL DONE. that's why i made this guide.

3. as you can see it's my first post. please do tell me where i'm wrong/less than perfect. I'll add them into this first thread so people just need to read the first one to get all the info here. Your feedback is highly valuable and appreciated!

4. If I mentioned something i shouldn't have, or have contents that will jeopardize this site, please PM me, i'll make proper modification ASAP.

Cheers, James

the files are in http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73952 no need to mess about with opera & IRC

Not wishing to knock your efforts, but isn't this *exactly* the same way people have been doing it for a while now? It doesn't require post-patching because it uses a prepatched DVD , and sets up the bootloader before install instead of after..

I also don't see the relevance of your title: "no reboot"? (see #7) "no v74" (how is that even relevant?) "no extra software"? (apart from startupfiletool)

Call it "Easy PC-EFI v8 ToH rc2 install with USB stick" and avoid all kinds of hassle with people who misunderstand what this is about.

It`s Great GUIDE works with me Thanks again JamesD

i`ve remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext to boot into leopard

=================

boot with DVD ==> terminal

cd /Volumes/drivewithleopardinstalled/System/Library/Extensions <press enter>

mv AppleEFIRuntime.kext AppleEFIRuntime.kext.post <press enter>

Cheer

Hi James

I already did a Betatest of your Guide last week you know ;-)

Worked great, as I always said in MSN.

Problem I have: I can't update to 10.5.1... because of no Internet, I downloaded the DMG from apple and installed it from there. On reboot: Kernel Panic :-(

Don't know what went wrong.

Any suggestions?

KylX

To Klyx: try another kernel from #10.5 channel in irc. replace your current one. it's gonna fix ur kernel panic problem.

To X2K86: Congrat man.

To Hager:

for netkas & BJMoose's guides: they didn't mention how to activate GUID partitions in it. so we have to use additional software like gptsync to avoid manually activate partition.

for i_am...me's guide: several reboots are mentioned in his guide which takes much longer than mine. every booting into the DVD takes at least 5 mins in my case.

so that's why i made this guide. and that's why i said no reboot, no addition software.

and i think people would prefer to read only the addtional post rather than finish all the tens of pages of replies to get the proper method for him/her. that's why i made one new thread rather than a reply. and i will constantly update this one with people's replies.

install EFI should be a really simple thing, and i hope this guide could help people feel the simplicity.

Do you think guys that with that type of efi installation, would be possible to install the server version upside the normal one, as be did with tiger, and using the the vanilla kernel and standar updates ?

(Yes i'm backing up to try for myself) :happymac:

Works great mate thx. only issue i have once i try and install the 5.1 update it installs reboots and all i get after is a apple logo and a spinning circle on the screen stays there for ever . there is no cross through it like a normal issue. any ideas ???

*****UPDATE*****

ok i restarted the thing. tried a F8 and -V to see the issue hangs at this point

dsci0079gi2.jpg

Any ideas

to wanamino: i think you could try it out and post whatever problems you have. there will be solutions even if something goes wrong.

to WaxTrax: it'll work on Pentium D and 945 mobo

to scotishhaggis: replace kernel with one from the topic of channel #10.5 on irc:\\irc.osx86.hu. visit the irc site with opera.

cheers, James

This is my first try on my Dell Inspiron 9400. I kept getting stuck at the restart screen. It turned out that I need to delete the AppleEFIRuntime.kext file. Now I am able to get in but it's really slow. Do I need to use a different kernel or other system files to speed this thing up? I had Tiger 10.4.8 and it's fast but this is way too slow. BTW, thank you James for your excellent guide and also to X2K86 for your tip on deleting the AppleEFIRuntime.kext. Also, I believe I'm supposed to get an error when I do the "fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX" command but just ignore it right? Thanks again.

My system specs:

Dell Inspiron 9400

Dual Core 1.6GHz

2GB Memory

USB (works)

GMA500 (works)

Bluetooth (works)

Sound SigmaTel 9200 (does not work even with latest version of HDA Patcher)

Broadcom NIC (doesn't work, Leo won't allow me to add old IONetworking file from older versions)

Hey JamesD,

I have gotten as far as the terminal, but when I try to type in [cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v80] after nameing my usb drive 123 as you suggested, all I get is an error saying something like found no such volume? Any reason why this is not working? I have SATA set to ACHI in the Bios ASUS P5B MOBO BTW unmounting disks only worked on the disk number that Leopard was to be put on the rest gave an error?

disk0 error unmounting

disk0s1 error unmounting

disk0s2 unmounted, Leopard disk

What am I doing wrong, please help, I really want to get this working, thanks in advance, cheers, Plucka

I have gotten as far as the terminal, but when I try to type in [cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v80] after nameing my usb drive 123 as you suggested, all I get is an error saying something like found no such volume?

Plucka, that means that you don't have those volumes. Just continue on.

I have a question. What do you do after EFI v8 is installed? I get the message "*** /boot.plist is not found ***" and can't go any further. It just stays at that message. I installed the TOH disk but can't go anywhere else. I can do an F8 and get Darwin but now what? I don't want to install Leopard again. Thanks for any 'after installation' of the EFI v8 and TOH version. And how to boot into Leopard after installation.

Success! See sig for system details.

Installed with Guid + Efi v.8.

Note: on the last line of the Terminal input:

"dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1"

got a "Resource is busy".

Rebooted anyway, installed ToH Leopard and all (except ALC662 audio) is working, so far.

Including onboard Realtek Lan.

Thanks much.

+++++++++++++

Edit: After installing the 10.5.1 update + reboot:

get "HFS+ partition error" on the POST screen..

How to fix???

Hi, richtig.

I had same issue. Seems passed...in this moment test reinstall Brazilian Leopard :)

I saw in the netkas comment "About guid" that:

"Now umount your diskXsY partition (umount -f /dev/diskXsY )..."

I follow this type form "umount -f /dev/diskX, umount -f /dev/diskXsy, etc..."

and when i arrived to "dd if=./guid/boot0...don´t apper message busy...and write it.

Try it. ;)

scotishhaggis: i use 10.5 sleep kernel from #10.5 at usually irc, for laptop users you might try speedstep kernel there.

theDeviL: as for a seperate harddrive, it doesn't mess up your vista coz it only modifies info on the target harddrive but your vista resides on another one. so you could always use your BIOS to select boot priority.

notworthy: ok gotta say i'm not an expert on this one. i don't know what EFIruntime kext does so i can't say anything about it. and i don't know what's really slow meaning.. sorry.. what i can answer: 1)try different kernel, as i mentioned above, speedstep kernel or 10.5 sleep kernel. 2)if you completely follow MY guide here, you are not supposed to get an error there. however i think even if you do, it should be fine as long as you can boot later. 3) ur audio, there are drivers out there. you just have to dig deeper, sigmatel does work for sure. 4)you might wanna try other DELL LAPTOP guides for your really slow problem. people there are more likely to be helpful.

Plucka: i can help you on this. 1) open your disk utility (DU for short), check if your 123 volume is mounted. if not, unplug the usb key, and plug it in again. if you see the volume named 123, you're good to go. if you can't get it working still, try formatting the drive under OS X with HFS+. it's a small problem you just need to be patient and careful. 2) i get these errors to. just ignore them. follow my guide you should have no problem installing it.

cipherworld: i think you need post-patch to finish brazilmac installtion. if you did the post patch, try replace the kernel like i mention. if still not working ,try install EFI on GUID following this guide again. still not working? get a ToH DVD or ask someone else for help i can't help you on that... :)

lonmoore: it doesn't happen very often, first time hearing it. 1)make sure you install your leopard on the SAME partition that you installed EFI. 2)did you follow EXACTLY what i mentioned in this guide? 3)you may wanna provide your own step by step installation notes for us to help you, tell us what you did.

richtig: 1)replace the kernel. 2)install EFI GUID again, don't worry it doesn't erase or mess up your leopard it only edits the boot up section.

Mikemad: ur welcome

after 10.5.1 update

how to replace the kernel after got the 10.5 kernel from #10.5

and is reinstall EFI GUID process:

cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v80
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

thx

Re:

diskutil unmount diskX
diskutil unmount diskXs1
diskutil unmount diskXs2
diskutil unmount diskXs3
diskutil unmount diskXs4
[I do it for EVERY partition for precautions, it only takes a little bit more time but makes it much more likely to succeed]

Simpler to use:

diskutil unmountDisk diskX  [X=0, in my case]