Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

Installed on my IBM T42 Pentium D laptop. Almost everything worked out of gate. Wireless was a no go so I added a PCMCIA IBM abg based on the Atheros 5001 chipset and wireless with airport support is now working.

SSE2 based with 10.5.2 fully updated. 512MB RAM.

And since yesterday my 10.5.2 is working too on a No Name laptop with Core2Duo 2350, 2GB Ram, NVidia Go 7400, AC97 sound card.

I made a Dual Boot configuration with Vista / Mac OS X on the same Harddrive and everything worked like a charm. Only thing what does not run is my integrated wireless, INTEL BG3945, I tried the beta driver but crashed system so I had to delete.

Bought a cheap D-Link DG122 Wireless USB-Stick (Is RALINK Chip) and downloaded a driver from their Site (RALINK), now everything is working, even Bluetooth and my integrated Webcam.

Well Onetrack thank you soooo much!!!!

I have a 100% functional hack.

10.5.1 on a guid efi v8. Sleep, time machine, reboot, shutdown, it all works. I now have just about every application my girlfriend is going to use open (CS3 suite, itunes, google earth, Quark, and ilife), as this is my first build as a gift so it all has to work. There are no hickups. This computer rox.

I got the GA-945GCMX-S2, 2 gigs of ram and a sata drive. Oh yeah 2 250 seagate sata 2's. A 7300gs and 2 19 inch lcds (already had). Oh yeah an intel core 2 duo e4500 2.2

I get a 175 xbench without disk checked and 137 with disk.

Total cost about 500 $ for the rig.

Just added the time machine fix and the fixboot from the irc.

added the nvinject and rest is history.

I can't believe how well this system works.

hey there--I have the same board but it's not recognizing my hard drive (sata) with an ide DVD drive (pioneer)--could you tell me what changes (if any) you made to the bios settings? Thanks.

I do have Leo running on an ASUS board no problem--but I can't translate those settings to this one...

well i used the akios ?? install and aside from having a bit of frustration with the audio im 100% working

my specs are

q6600

2 gig of ram

gigabyte p35-dq6 mobo

g15 and g9 mouse(g15 only lcd dosent work)

22" samsung lcd

8800gts 640mb

lexmark c720 printer

im a complete noob and just playign around but im really enjoying 10.5 osx

next step for me is to have vista running simitanious :P

Whoops, what I mean was "no, it's not important." Any progress, betzalel?

--S

Hi Stravaganza,

So I got the new system, having looked closely at the HCL. It is:

Q6600

4 GB RAM

4xWD-500GB disk

ASUS P5E motherboard

Zotac GEForce 7300GT

USB mouse, and keyboard

DELL 24" (1920x1200) monitor

It did not go as smoothly as one would hope, primarily due to my misunderstanding of the relationship between Intel RAID and OSX's. Setting the drives in the BIOS as ACHI did not work. I had to set them all controlled by the ichr9 chipset, but not combined into a volume. Anyway, it loaded. The LAN worked, TImeMachine worked. I showed no audio device, but used Azalia_ADI1988 and that showed up as HD audio (I haven't listened yet).

The sleep mode showed no sign of doing anything.

The video is problematic. What I got was 1024x768 with no other choices. So I installed NVinject. Now I get a pale blue screen (nice color) of what appears to be the correct resolution, judging by the size of the mouse arrow. But that's all I get. No pictures, no text, nothing. The only way to get out is to push the power button. I tried "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" at the boot: prompt, but it made no difference at all.

Any ideas?

All the best,

Betz

1. The sleep mode showed no sign of doing anything.

2. The video is problematic. What I got was 1024x768 with no other choices. So I installed NVinject. Now I get a pale blue screen (nice color) of what appears to be the correct resolution, judging by the size of the mouse arrow. But that's all I get. No pictures, no text, nothing. The only way to get out is to push the power button. I tried "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" at the boot: prompt, but it made no difference at all.

Hi betzalel,

Congratulations, almost!

1. Generally, the insomnia problem is related to either ACPI or video card. (If the video card refuses to sleep, then the whole system doesn't sleep.) In your case, I don't know. But it's something to worry about after you make the video work.
  2. I am not really an expert when it comes to video cards. I never had any video cards (except onboard GMA 950s) for Hackintosh. Assuming that you have an nVidia with 128MB, I don't know why it doesn't work after NVinject. When did you inject NVinject? Before or after the OS X v10.5.2 update? (By the way, I am sure you know how to get back the default 1024x768 mode without installation.)

--S

Hi betzalel,

Congratulations, almost!

1. Generally, the insomnia problem is related to either ACPI or video card. (If the video card refuses to sleep, then the whole system doesn't sleep.) In your case, I don't know. But it's something to worry about after you make the video work.

2. I am not really an expert when it comes to video cards. I never had any video cards other than onboard ones for Hackintosh. Assuming that you have an nVidia with 128MB, I don't know why it doesn't work. When did you inject NVinject? Before or after the v10.5.2 update? (By the way, I am sure how you get back the default 1024x768 mode without installation.)

--S

Hi S--

Before the 10.5.2 update.

In Leopard Installation DVD (and the Kalyway mods) there are opportunities to go to TimeMachine (which I had working). There is also a Terminal option which lets me delete the NVinject.kext. Right now I am restoring the TimeMachine backup to a (LARGE) USB key. Then we'll see what happens.

All the best,

Betz

In Leopard Installation DVD (and the Kalyway mods) there are opportunities to go to TimeMachine (which I had working). There is also a Terminal option which lets me delete the NVinject.kext.

Hiya betzalel,

You could simply do ssh to the Hackintosh, or boot the Hackintosh into single user mode with -s option and mount the Leopard installation volume to remove NVinject.

After our discussion about the native installation, I realized that you can actually install unmodified Leopard to HDD connected to your Mac (or working Hackintosh) and patch necessary kexts without booting the Mac with Leopard DVD. The steps are

1. Put Leopard DVD into your Mac (or mount Leopard DMG image).
  2. Open Terminal and make a symbolic link to OSInstall.mpkg as follows:
    cd ~/Desktop
    ln -s /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg .

3. Connect your HDD to your Mac.
  4. Double-click the OSInstall.mpkg icon on Desktop.
  5. Install unmodified Leopard, patch necessary kexts, and install EFI.
  6. Detach your HDD and connect to your Hackintosh.

One good thing about this procedure is that the first two steps are just one-time effort while the last four steps are needed to be done whenever you install Leopard. Well, it's trivial but I thought it's interesting. :(

--S

P.S. One consequence of the above procedure is that you can install Leopard to a Mac with bad DVD driver (this is my case) using Firewire Target Mode from Hackintosh without making extra partition on the Mac.

Hi betzalel,

Congratulations, almost!

2. I am not really an expert when it comes to video cards. I never had any video cards (except onboard GMA 950s) for Hackintosh. Assuming that you have an nVidia with 128MB, I don't know why it doesn't work after NVinject. When did you inject NVinject? Before or after the OS X v10.5.2 update? (By the way, I am sure you know how to get back the default 1024x768 mode without installation.)

--S

Hi S--

I deleted the kext via the terminal and got back to where I was. By the way, my 7300GT has 512 MB of RAM. Is this a problem, or do I need to do something different?

All the best,

Betz

By the way, my 7300GT has 512 MB of RAM. Is this a problem, or do I need to do something different?

Whoops, you need ROM modification to make your video card work. (nVidia 6000 or 7000 series with 128MB or 256MB do not need it.) Now I don't think you visit NVinject site. Look under "NVIDIA 512Mb ROM MOD" and "512Mb ROMs repository" sections to find out what to do.

Unless I am mistaken, this ROM MOD involves firmware update, i.e. flashing video card BIOS, which is very risky. If I were you, I would check an alternative such as modifying plists under OS X v10.5.2. (I have no idea if such an alternative exists at all for nVidia 7300GT. I simply suggest this because nVidia 8000 series with all different RAM sizes work on OS X v10.5.2, which wasn't possible at all before OS X v10.5.2.)

Hope this helps.

--S

Hey guys...i have a DELL INSPIRON 1501

will this work with an AMD 64 turion?

VESA 16MB ATI RADEON XPRESS1150 video card

it seems to hang at apple grey screen.....

gonna go to bed and see if it does anything when i wake.....hopefully

Hi Guys,

I'm a complete noob so bear with me.

I just bought a cheap laptop (HP Evo NC4010) and wanted to know if it it'd be possible to have a working install of OSX on it before I go through the hassle. It's Pentium M (SSE2) and I haven't seen anyone that's successfully installed on this yet (correct me if I'm wrong) - I don't know enough to be the first. The specs are below.

CPU: Intel Pentium M Processor 725 – 1.6GHz(3.2GHz), 2MB L2 cache

Bus Speed: 400 MHz FSB

Memory: 512Mb RAM

HDD: 40GB 5400 rpm

Graphics: ATI Radeon IGP 350M graphics controller with user selectable 32- or 64-MB DDR SDRAM4X AGP

Sound: HP Premier Sound 16-bit sound

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Thanks for the great guide!

I bought the $129 special ECS 945GCT-M/1333 (V3.0) LGA 775 and Intel Core 2 Duo e4500(2.2 Ghz 2mb cache) combo at Fry's on Saturday. Also spent $29 after rebate on Crucial 2gb DDR2. Popped in my eVga Geforce 7300GS.

Here is what i did for my 20 minute install on this board:

I gathered all of this info from all over this website!!

Bios Settings:

No Executable(NX/XD) it should be enabled. CPUID limit should be disabled. HPET should be enabled

Installation:

1) Boot to Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD

2) In Disk utility, partition drive as GUID

3) Choose customize install when available on the installation process

4) In the options choose vanilla kernel and vanilla ACPI fix. if you have NVidia GeForce choose nvinject driver for your card. choose GUID EFI

5) When installing skip the disk verification

6) Install Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update package (do not reboot at the end)

7) Install Kalyway vanilla kernel update package

8) Click restart on the combo updater. it will reboot a couple times.

Now i get nice xbench scores of 150-160 range

Whoops, you need ROM modification to make your video card work. (nVidia 6000 or 7000 series with 128MB or 256MB do not need it.) Now I don't think you visit NVinject site. Look under "NVIDIA 512Mb ROM MOD" and "512Mb ROMs repository" sections to find out what to do.

Unless I am mistaken, this ROM MOD involves firmware update, i.e. flashing video card BIOS, which is very risky. If I were you, I would check an alternative such as modifying plists under OS X v10.5.2. (I have no idea if such an alternative exists at all for nVidia 7300GT. I simply suggest this because nVidia 8000 series with all different RAM sizes work on OS X v10.5.2, which wasn't possible at all before OS X v10.5.2.)

Hope this helps.

--S

Hi S--,

Sorry I took so long, but I had back problems and was unwilling to flash the ROM. So, now it works. See signature. I started removing kexts and the removal that made everything work was geforce.kext. I don't know the souce of this kext - I'm pretty sure it's not NViject. Now virtually everything is good: video all resolutions (except no movies except from DivX), audio, all cores seen, all RAM seen, all disks seen (except I need them set as IDE if I want to dual boot from Windows), network, sleep, shutdown. Not reboot.

I got an Xbench of 142. I would think this system should be faster, but I don't know how to begin to tweek it.

All te best,

Betz

Sorry I took so long, but I had back problems and was unwilling to flash the ROM. So, now it works. See signature. I started ... (except I need them set as IDE if I want to dual boot from Windows), ... Not reboot. I got an Xbench of 142. I would think this system should be faster, but I don't know how to begin to tweek it.

Hi Betz,

Congratulations! Now you got a monster Hackintosh! More than 2TB secondary memory and 8GB primary memory, hew-. :pirate2:

As far as I know, booting with Windows has nothing to do with setting the hosting HDD to IDE. But I am sure that you chose the best solution for yourself. I had no problems of dual-booting (1) OS X 10.5.x and 32-bit Windows XP on a single SATA HDD with MBR using Darwin Bootloader and (2) OS X 10.5.x and 32-bit Windows Vista on a single SATA HDD with GPT using Darwin Bootloader. (I guess that your Windows is installed on IDE as the only Operating System residing on that IDE HDD and you use BIOS to select HDDs to boot up the machine.)

If you didn't try AppleACPIPlatform binary from #leopard at irc.osx86.hu for Restart problem, you may want to try it because it worked for me.

About Xbench benchmark score. It's not too bad. On Hackintosh, the disk access test score is not that great with Xbench. I don't know the exact reason but I suspect that Hackintosh doesn't fully utilize kexts related to disc access and Xbench exploits in its testing this disc access feature, which makes Xbench good benchmarking program in that category. (I saw some people even excluding disc access test score from Xbench in their score postings :) or simply chose other benchmarking programs which don't have disc access test category.) I don't expect that the benchmark score of a Hackintosh is better than that of a compatible Macintosh in any reasonable benchmarking program. But I agree with you that your test score is kind of low, especially with 8GB memory (but then again, no benchmarking program that I know of have a category of signifying score difference using that big primary or secondary memory). On my Hac Pro (see my signature) which doesn't have any tweaks, I got 146 (rounded to the nearest integer from the average score over 5 trials) last time I checked with onboard GMA 950.

--S

P.S. For your analysis to figure out what test result is bad, I attached my Xbench v1.3 results. Each result is obtained on the same system with Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB RAM, and Intel GMA 950 from 5 trials and averaged (in each category) and then rounded to the nearest integer.

Kernel version: 9.2.2  9.2.0
   Build version: 9C7010 9C31

Overall: 146	146
			CPU test: 152	152
	 Thread test: 200	189
	 Memory test: 162	163
Quartz Graphics test: 225	224
OpenGL Graphics test: 344	342
User  Interface test: 347	346
	   Disk test: 50	 51

... I have the Realtek ALC861. I followed your install down to the letter...

You cannot expect ALC888 driver to work for ALC861 controller.

• Azalia driver by Skippyretard for ALC8xx works for ALC861.
  • AppleHDA patcher by Taruga for ALC861 is also available.

--S

Well..

I followed all your Instructions, but I'm stuck at this Part:

Shutdown your computer, power on, eject the disk - and if all goes well you are now booting a completely unmodified kernel right to the welcome screens.

After I rebooted, well.. only a Black Screen with a Input Line thingy Appears. :(

Why, and how can I fix this?

@Betzalel

I have a setup very similar to one Stravaganza has, with exception of a slower processor, namely I have E2160. My overall Xbench result is 124.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:unsure: Many thanks, Stravaganza, for your patient approach to all my questions!!! :blink: