Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

Hands down to Cave Man. I wonder how you pulled it off with $970. You are the man. ;)

Thanks a lot. :) All the hardware was bought in a single purchase from NewEgg. The OS X retail was bought at my university's computer store (US$69). I already had the 1 TB media drive from my previous setup (forgot to say that in my OP, but now added as an edit :) ). I also just added another Samsung 750 drive for my Time Machine volume.

Stage 1

Hardware

Mobo: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI

Proc: 2.2 ghz AMD Athlon 64 X2 (clocked at 2.37ghz)

Ram: Corsair Value Ram 1GB 667mhz DDR2 X 2

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA

Optical: ASUS DVDR SATA

Audio: ALC883 HD CODEC (Intergrated)

Networking: Gigabit Ethernet Realtek RTL8111B (Intergrated), Linksys AM300 ADSL Modem

Graphic: Powercolor HD2600pro 256mb (PCI-E)

Installation

Startup disk: Leo4all Version 3 (Leopard 10.5.2)

Bios setup: all default except disable USB legacy and CD as first boot

Kernel version: Darwin 9.2.0 (latest kernel 9.2.2 detected my proc as single core)

Driver ( use all standard driver option in Leo4all v3 DVD)

Chipset: VIA, SiS, Marvell and SB

Sound: ACL883

Video: 2600PRO(PCIE)

Networking: not to choose any driver option, detected by itself with AM300 Linksys ADSL modem

Post mortem

Working! Except Front Row, I believe this conflict causing by no wireless device installed for replacing Airport.

iLife: Perfect. Some conflict in iPhoto but solved by uncheck ‘Embed ColorSync profile in Preference>Advance

Adobe Design: Adobe Bridge can’t open at all, else perfect, lazy to find proper cracks!

Video: detacted as HD2600XT but cannot update latest firmware by Apple. Smooth cover flow. Game? Not tested yet. Max resolution 1440x900 (19” LCD)

Stage 2

Next: G5 Case, Apple mice and keyboard, Cinema Display?? gezz

post-232427-1211895382_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

this was an awesome step by step guide..

really liked it..

thanks a lot..

i managed to install everything in the way it was said..

but after everything was complete, and rebooted, i ended up in a reboot loop :mellow:

just after the POST the ccomputer reboots..

and it just goes on like that!

i tried doing the same with dual boot..

so, now i get the boot selection menu by the tboot method..

but, this time there is no reboot loop..

when i select the OSX option from the boot selection menu, the screen just blinks and comes back to the boot selection menu! :(

when i select windows xp, it goes on fine.. it just boots into xp..

when i select osx, it doesnt boot.. it just shows me the boot selection menu again..

can someone help me, please :(

well well well.. i guess it was an incompatibility issue.

because, i just installed tiger, and it worked flawlessly!

so, leopard might not be compatible with my current config.

on my another comp, where the processor is a core2duo, it had worked fine.

i would like to buy a new mobo which would support leopard instalaltion..

the problem is that the RAM am gonna use will be DDR-1

are there any good motherboards out there which will support DDR-1 with PCi-Express x16 for my Nvidia 8600GT?

Hey Stravaganza, I was wondering if you think this sort of setup would work fine with OS X 5.2.

GA-G31M-S2L

PNY GeForce 9600GT 512MB PCI-E 2.0

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz 1066MHz 8MB LGA775 EM64T CPU

Komusa 4GB Kit (20484MBx2) DDR2 800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM

Seagate ST3500320AS

LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK ATX12V 575W Power Supply

Really I thought about just using my 9600GT from my other desktop. It's an eVGA card. If that works then I can probably just nix getting the video card altogether. Anyway, let me know when you can. Thanks.

Hi guys, maybe this is a noob question but... Which dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext do I put on my USB key? Where do I find them?

Thanks in advance.

On the USB key, put the following items, unzip where needed.

pc_efi V5.2 (its the latest)

NOTE PC_EFI V7 is now out and includes grub - we are testing this solution to see if we need the kalyway disk still

dsmos.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

NVinject for Leopard (only if you have an Nvidia based card, if not - ignore any references in the guide to NVinject)

1 Copy of a properly prepared Brazilmac disk

1 Copy of the Kalyway boot prepare cd for Leopard

>>>>>>>

Edit:

The first step to do is to remove the original AppleSMBIOS.kext file as you will be putting another in its place and it will not copy over correctly if the one that

was installed by Brazilmac exists. skipping this step may cause your computer to have a stop error on bootup.

Hey Stravaganza, I was wondering if you think this sort of setup would work fine with OS X 5.2.GA-G31M-S2LPNY GeForce 9600GT 512MB PCI-E 2.0Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz 1066MHz 8MB LGA775 EM64T CPUKomusa 4GB Kit (20484MBx2) DDR2 800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMMSeagate ST3500320ASLOGISYS Computer PS575XBK ATX12V 575W Power SupplyReally I thought about just using my 9600GT from my other desktop. It's an eVGA card. If that works then I can probably just nix getting the video card altogether. Anyway, let me know when you can. Thanks.
I believe it will work. The only potential problematic thing is the graphics card. I am not sure if nVidia 9600 GT works for QE/CI, all resolutions, mirror, ... I like your approach to the graphics card problem. Go for it. Let us know how it goes.
Hi guys, maybe this is a noob question but... Which dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext do I put on my USB key? Where do I find them?Thanks in advance.
Use dsmos.kext that comes with BrazilMAC patch zip file, which is linked in BrazilMAC's guide here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008

Use AppleSMBIOS.kext that is posted on mac.nub's webpage called OSx86 Simplified, which is here: http://my.macdotnub.info/

I believe it will work. The only potential problematic thing is the graphics card. I am not sure if nVidia 9600 GT works for QE/CI, all resolutions, mirror, ... I like your approach to the graphics card problem. Go for it. Let us know how it goes.

Any idea as to which card would work and still support 1900 x 1200 resolution? Also, which install method should I use for this kind of setup?

Any idea as to which card would work and still support 1900 x 1200 resolution? Also, which install method should I use for this kind of setup?
I do not know the answer for the first question. I would suggest the HCL but I am sure you already read that. In nVidia 9000 series, only 9800 GTX is reported as working in HCL 10.5.2. One person said the resolution is supported. Go and see it for yourself. For the second question, personally I believe the native installation (or BrazilMAC installation) is the best, but that's for me. Try Kalyway or Leo4All. It will go swimmingly.

I need to stress this one more time. The audio CODEC on GA-G31M-S2L is ALC 662, which means the best you can get as of today is either (1) analog-out with volume control but no analog-in or digital-out (can be achieved with AppleAzaliaAudio.kext whose days are numbered by Snow Leopard 64 bit kernel) or (2) analog-out without volume control and a perfectly working analog-in (can be achieved with ALCInject.kext and modified AppleHDA.kext).

I don't know. Maybe I will try looking at what the mac pro uses and try those. In theory I shouldn't have that much of an issue with cards that apple themselves use. Or heck, maybe even what the iMac uses. Still, either way, it's just a theory.

Also...

I do not know the answer for the first question. I would suggest the HCL but I am sure you already read that. In nVidia 9000 series, only 9800 GTX is reported as working in HCL 10.5.2. One person said the resolution is supported. Go and see it for yourself. For the second question, personally I believe the native installation (or BrazilMAC installation) is the best, but that's for me. Try Kalyway or Leo4All. It will go swimmingly.

I need to stress this one more time. The audio CODEC on GA-G31M-S2L is ALC 662, which means the best you can get as of today is either (1) analog-out with volume control but no analog-in or digital-out (can be achieved with AppleAzaliaAudio.kext whose days are numbered by Snow Leopard 64 bit kernel) or (2) analog-out without volume control and a perfectly working analog-in (can be achieved with ALCInject.kext and modified AppleHDA.kext).

Any clue as to if different makes give different results? E.G. if I used a ZOGIS GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E over XFX or MSI brand cards. I hate that I am pelting you with so many questions, and I do feel terrible for my lack of knowledge in this area but hey... we all start somewhere. Also the follow up... is it possible to make .kext fies outside of a Mac OS X environment and is there any way I can impliment the changes I need for the audio post OS install?

I don't know. Maybe I will try looking at what the mac pro uses and try those. In theory I shouldn't have that much of an issue with cards that apple themselves use. Or heck, maybe even what the iMac uses. Still, either way, it's just a theory.

Also...

Any clue as to if different makes give different results? E.G. if I used a ZOGIS GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E over XFX or MSI brand cards. I hate that I am pelting you with so many questions, and I do feel terrible for my lack of knowledge in this area but hey... we all start somewhere. Also the follow up... is it possible to make .kext fies outside of a Mac OS X environment and is there any way I can impliment the changes I need for the audio post OS install?

It is okay to ask questions after you do your research on the matter first.

In general, it does not make a big difference which brand you choose as long as the GPU on graphics card is the same. However, there are three things to consider: (1) fan noise, (2) fan size, and (3) price.

EVGA and XFX become noisy under Mac OS X in a long run. If you use their cards for a long time, you will notice the loud fan noise during machine booting and sleeping/waking time. I believe they make fantastic cards but under Mac OS X, their cards do not make any difference (from other brands) due to lack of fan controlling functionality under the OS. Hence their products are overpriced under the OS. EVGA fan size is just about right and so it does not block the adjacent PCI or PCIe slot. This blocking issue is important for users of microATX such as GA-G31-S2L because you only have 3 slots (except PCIe x16). I tried EVGA, BIOSTAR, XFX nVidia graphics cards. BIOSTAR seems good in terms of price and fan noise. But you need to find out what is good for yourself. I am very sensitive to the noise. You may not.

For the second question. I am not sure what you mean by developing outside of Mac OS X. As far as I know, there is no compiler running on non-Mac OS X platforms and generating object code for Mac OS X. Hence if you gonna do coding, you need Mac OS X. You cannot get source codes for AppleHDA.kext and AppleAzaliaAudio.kext though. If you wish to develop an audio driver, you gonna start from a scratch. Xcode comes with a sample project of toy audio kext. You may want to start from there. The best solution for ALC CODECs as of today comes from Taruga (wiki.taruga.net). If you are not an expert on this matter, I would wait for his AppleHDA Patcher v2.0 (although I don't think there will be a volume control for ALC 662 in the patcher due to lack of such functionality in the chip itself). In the worst case, all you need is buy a cheap USB sound card. There are a few of them. If sound edit is important to you, I would not suggest GA-G31-S2L. Otherwise, it is a good motherboard. I am happily using it with AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

Hi

i used your guide and it worked the first time, yay. i applied the AppleACPIPlatform and IONetworkingFamily patch. when i restarted the computer, it goes into kernel panic at startup. i installed it twice and the same thing happened both times. does neone no wat i should do?

also, wen i use the "chown" and "cp -R" terminal commands, it couldnt find AppleSMBIOS.kext.

my specs as well as i no them are

2.5 Gigs of RAM

Intel pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz

80 GB SATA hard drive

ATI Radeon X300 (I no it sux)

PATA DVD +/- R/RW combo drive

if you need more info email me at andrew19933@gmail.com or just reply, ill try to find out the rest

i installed leopard on my laptop(acer aspire 5720G) using vanilla kernal

but its not booting

i have dual boot

when i choose MAC, computer automatically restarting

i can install MAC using sleep kernel

here is my system spec -

Acer Aspire 5720G

Dual boot-XP64 & leopard10.5.2

Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile

Intel GM965 Chipset

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300

RAM:3GB

Intel HDA(Realtek ALC268 codec )

Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Wireless Card

Broadcom BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet

now it is working :)

My MSI 8600 works great and will give you this resolution and more (30" native) on two displays. See my first post on the previous page for a link to it.

hey i got a huge problem, im confused...:S well i installed that iAtk r3 or what its called; the installation was successful but i cant get into leopard. it always boots the cd and wants me to install but i already did. so what do i have to do?! please help me guys!!!! tell me what i need to download and evry step cuz im confused and cant figure it out by myself:S thank u guys in advantage

hey i got a huge problem, im confused...:S well i installed that iAtk r3 or what its called; the installation was successful but i cant get into leopard. it always boots the cd and wants me to install but i already did. so what do i have to do?! please help me guys!!!! tell me what i need to download and evry step cuz im confused and cant figure it out by myself:S thank u guys in advantage
What happens if you boot your machine without the CD? What does the machine say?

it shows me a white blinking line and nothing happens. i need help:S

What happens if you boot your machine without the CD? What does the machine say?
it shows me a white blinking line and nothing happens. i need help:S

well i got a sony vaio vgn-sz4mn/b, intel core 2 duo, supports intel speedstep, 1.83 ghz, 2gb/go ddr2 sdram. that should be enough specification right?:P
No. What's the HDD and DVD interfaces and graphics cards? How is HDD partitioned and what OS is currently running?

My HDD is a 100 gb/go by toshiba. my DVD is optical RW and graphic card geforce 7400. originally i got vista business as os but i erased it for mac os leopard...

No. What's the HDD and DVD interfaces and graphics cards? How is HDD partitioned and what OS is currently running?

My HDD is a 100 gb/go by toshiba. my DVD is optical RW and graphic card geforce 7400. originally i got vista business as os but i erased it for mac os leopard...
Is your HDD SATA or IDE? (Those are the name of interfaces.) When you install OS X, did you format your HDD as HFS+?