Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

Newbie question here, but I really need to take this out of my head.

My laptop's cpu is a Intel Core Duo T2250 (Centrino Duo), capable of MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3.

Using Kalyway's 10.5.1 setup dvd, do I check SSE2? If I don't choose it, it doesn't mean it's going to skip SSE2 and use SSE3, right?

Thanks for your time.

/me is happy.

EVGA 680i Mobo

Realtek 8139 NIC

120GB ATA WD

8800GTS 640MB

2GB PC6400 RAM

2.7GHz Core2

135 on Xbench. Gonna tweak my RAM some more, and get some better ATA drivers.

post-64025-1209604622_thumb.png

I've been running Kalyway 10.5.1 for the past several days and everything is working near perfectly. The only issue I've run into is that on occasion the system hangs when shutting down, restarting or sleeping. Other than that it runs beautifully. My 64bit Geekbench score is just over 8000. Not bad for a single chip quad.

Q6600 @ 3.6

Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme + Scythe 120mm

GA-P35-DS3L

G.Skill 4GB 2x2 @ 1000

8800GTX @ 610/2000

hello guys!

my first post here, sorry for my bad english.

I have got this board also, Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C.

And my other specs are:

Processor: Pentium D 945 3.4ghz SSE2 and SSE3

3 hds, 2 of them SATA 160gb and 1 ATA 120gb

Nvidia geforce 8400 gt 256 pci-express

1gb of ram ddr2

im having problems installing the mac os leopard, i have tried iAtkos and Kalyway 10.5.1.

I have tried to install it over 20 times now, and im thinking that it is indeed my processor the one giving me headaches. On Kalyway os starts to boot, i see the apple and then i get kernel panic.

Can you guys help me? Is there something im doing wrong? Is there a better way to install this because of my Pentium D? Use ToH or Brazilmac?

Thank you!

Hi,

Just reporting a very painless install of Leopard 10.5.2 (Kalyway DVD). I'm very pleased to say that i got almost everything working including my Firewire M-Audio 1814 audio-interface which works very well with Logic Studio 8 on my Hackintosh. Due to the Jmicron problem i had to install from a USB-DVD drive.

System specs:

Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP

Intel Core Quad 6600

4gb 667 DDR2 RAM

NVidia 8800 GT

2 SATA harddrives

Built-in wireless with Realtek drivers

Built-in Marvel LAN working

Built-in sound working (only outputs, no mic!)

Webcam : Creative Live Optica AF fully working

The only problem i'm still working on is the fact that no shared network places pop up on my Macbook Pro or on my Hackintosh. Somebody?

Timothy,

Hi,

Just reporting a very painless install of Leopard 10.5.2 (Kalyway DVD). I'm very pleased to say that i got almost everything working including my Firewire M-Audio 1814 audio-interface which works very well with Logic Studio 8 on my Hackintosh. Due to the Jmicron problem i had to install from a USB-DVD drive.

System specs:

Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP

Intel Core Quad 6600

4gb 667 DDR2 RAM

NVidia 8800 GT

2 SATA harddrives

Built-in Marvel LAN working

Built-in sound working (only outputs, no mic!)

Webcam : Creative Live Optica AF fully working

The only problem i'm still working on is the fact that no shared network places pop up on my Macbook Pro or on my Hackintosh. Somebody?

Timothy,

My Vista network folders don't automatically show up and I've yet to find a simple way to get them appear. Here's what I managed to do to get my network folders to show up and automatically mount when I login.

Finder>Go>Connect to Server. Then I typed in the IP of the system I wanted to get the shares from. In my case I wanted the network folders from one of my Vista systems so I typed "smb://192.168.1.100" and then clicked the plus button to add it to the favorites. Once it was added to favorites I went into Accounts and clicked on the login items tab. I then navigated to /user/"username"/library/favorites and dragged the file called "192.168.1.100" into the login items tab. Now when I boot into Leopard it logs into that network share.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to any non-Windows OS so there's probably a more elegant and sophisticated way to do it but that's what I've got so far.

Yeeeeppeeeee!

(I know it is childish... but after a week of struggle...)

I have tried to install on my

Intel DG33BU with

Intel Core2Duo 3.0GHz

nVidia (MSI) 8500GT

2x1Gb Corsair XMSx2

for a week... Not avail...

Today I have purchased a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with a same setting

except,

G-Skill 2x2Gb DDR2 800MHz

nVidia (MSI) 8500GT

and first attempt, succeeded!

Thanx-o-lot!

There is no sound as yet, but I won't give it up...

I love Apple!

I think, this is the time for an iMac... ;-p

My Vista network folders don't automatically show up and I've yet to find a simple way to get them appear. Here's what I managed to do to get my network folders to show up and automatically mount when I login.

Finder>Go>Connect to Server. Then I typed in the IP of the system I wanted to get the shares from. In my case I wanted the network folders from one of my Vista systems so I typed "smb://192.168.1.100" and then clicked the plus button to add it to the favorites. Once it was added to favorites I went into Accounts and clicked on the login items tab. I then navigated to /user/"username"/library/favorites and dragged the file called "192.168.1.100" into the login items tab. Now when I boot into Leopard it logs into that network share.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to any non-Windows OS so there's probably a more elegant and sophisticated way to do it but that's what I've got so far.

Thanks, that worked for me. This is a good temporary solution....

I have the same problem with Jmicron controller, but i don't have a USB/SATA DVD-Rom, is that possible to install Kalyway 10.5.2 from a USB stick?

I have an ga -ep35c-ds3r motherboard with jmicron and some i have kalyway 10.5.2 install just fine. I set my bios to disable anything related to jmicron and raid. kalyway 10.5.1 does not work on my machine but kalyway to.5.2 does. Also kalyway does install from sata and ide dvd drive. Hope this helps. Not sure if you have a jmicron mother board or card etc.

I also set my bios to ide mode as well.

Thanks, that worked for me. This is a good temporary solution....

No problem. I've been reading around a little and it looks like network sharing problems are somewhat prevalent in official non-hacked Leopard installations too. That makes me feel better.

hi guys

i just got my osx86 working. i used kalyway 10.5.1 install dvd.

my hardware:

mb: p5k se/epu

ram: 4gb ddr2 800mhz ocz gold edition

video: msi nx8800gt working at 265mb instead of 512mb.

hard drive: samsung spinpoint sata 160gb

wlan: dwlg-122

usb: all ports working

audio: working

first of all i used an external usb-dvd drive. my old internal ide dvd drive was not working. in the osx installation customize screen i just selected mbr and the audio driver. i left everything else blank (vanilla, video drivers,...).

after the installation i downloaded audio, wlan, video drivers. now its working! but still the video card... anybody an idea how to get it working with 512mb?

I haven't used mac in a long time, but wanted something different from windows.

Linux did not suit me because I needed graphics applications like photoshop.

anyway, used the kalway 10.5.2 iso and followed the instructions.

Worked without problems first try.

hardware:

Abit AB9Pro

E4500 cpu overclocked to 3.3Ghz

4GB ram

Seagate 250GB SATA drive - formatted just for mac

EVGA 8800GTS 640MB video card

Samsung DVDR drive SATA

ALC882 onboard audio

Realtek onboard dual gigabit nic

Logitech mx310 usb mouse

logitech 350 usb keyboard

Xbench score of 174.2

I use the bios to switch between my other drives that contain other os.

Everything working, sound, video, networking with zero configuration on my part.

Only error I kept seeing during install was that the USB ports were drawing too much current ?

Only thing connected was mouse and keyboard, both are working fine though, so not sure about the error.

I haven't used mac in a long time, but wanted something different from windows.

Linux did not suit me because I needed graphics applications like photoshop.

anyway, used the kalway 10.5.2 iso and followed the instructions.

Worked without problems first try.

hardware:

Abit AB9Pro

E4500 cpu overclocked to 3.3Ghz

4GB ram

Seagate 250GB SATA drive - formatted just for mac

EVGA 8800GTS 640MB video card

Samsung DVDR drive SATA

ALC882 onboard audio

Realtek onboard dual gigabit nic

Logitech mx310 usb mouse

logitech 350 usb keyboard

Xbench score of 174.2

I use the bios to switch between my other drives that contain other os.

Everything working, sound, video, networking with zero configuration on my part.

Only error I kept seeing during install was that the USB ports were drawing too much current ?

Only thing connected was mouse and keyboard, both are working fine though, so not sure about the error.

what did you do different from the directions in this forum? Please let me know what i need such as do i need brazilmac or what part of the directions i need to omit to get a successful install such as yours. I do have kalyway 10.5.2 currently installed on my pc. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. ;)

So one please help a person before me said they used the kalyway 10.5.2 disc to install leopard retail. My question is do i still need brazilmac? What step do i take I am not computer savy, so someone please help??!!

i'm sorry double post...i'm fool to post reply with new topik :)

i'm newbie and i try install from this ToH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso (leopard 10.5)

i burn it and try to boot and install it..but i had problem :(

( i try double boot with XP)

history :

I try to doble boot with XP

First:

I make partition using Acronis Disk manager

1. firstboot Partition NTFS for XP

2. MacX using Fat32

3. Share using Fat32

second:

With XP instaled first....

I boot from CD using ToH_x86_9A581_RC2.iso

it's alot of teks comeout....bla--bla----

and here come the leopard logo with toh welcome

after that i'm go to disk utility and try to make erase the fat32 (made using Disk manage on XP)

and change to Macos Journaled

and the problem showup....

the disk utility can make journaled partition (or cant mount the partition)

what should I do?

thank for before :)

(i'm sorry my english so bad, cause i'm from Bandung)

my laptop spec:

intel cor2duo T5300@1,73Ghz

memory 2 gb visipro

harddisk 120 Gb

intel chipset

vga intel GMA 950

sc realtek

( i try double boot with XP)

my laptop spec:

intel cor2duo T5300@1,73Ghz

memory 2 gb visipro

harddisk 120 Gb

intel chipset

vga intel GMA 950

sc realtek

Assuming you are trying to install Windows XP 32-bit version, you need to format your HDD with MBR. The problem of MBR partition is that Mac OS X cannot boot with it. To make it possible, you may want to use Kalyway CD (not DVD), which makes the MBR HDD bootable. For the instruction, you may want to read the original post written by Onetrack.

i got one problem ..i have AMD processor, MSI mobo.....RAM DDR 400 (1 GB) ..... when i start install leopard 10.5...i got an error during boot time ...in black screen many lines display..and i stuck at "waiting for root device" ..... this line comes after 1 or 2 minute .... when i tried version 10.4 same error occurred .... so tell me what i can do now ...

I have a stable install of Leopard 10.5.2 Kalyway DVD (thanks Kalyway! :moil: ) using the vanilla kernel. I was able to boot from my Samsung SATA DVD drive without any problems. Formatted a single 750 gb volume with GUID/HFS+ with Journaling enabled. The sleep kernel did not work for me. My only issue is Firewire not working properly. Other than having to reinstall Aperture, no problems for me. My network is also visible in the Shared pane if the computer is connected by ethernet, but not by the WiFi card that came with the mobo. I can mount remote volumes, do Screen Sharing and even my EyeTV software networks correctly.

After the install, I used Migration Assistant to move accounts from another drive. It appeared to hang on the screen, but the drive lights were still reading/writing so I let it run. When the lights stopped flashing I quit MA and rebooted. Everything was fine. After the reboot, I installed the drivers for the WiFi card, patched the audio and updated NVidia drivers.

My xbench score was 171 - just a bit better than Apple's quad-core Mac Pro. (Update 22 May 08: I've overclocked to 3.22 gHz and xbench is now 217. Max temp with pushing all four cores has been 65 C with both fans on their lowest settings.) It is pretty quiet, too. While the fans run constantly, they are quieter than my Mac Mini with its Mini Stack drive running full-speed. My core temperatures have yet to exceed 51 C, even during a Handbrake encode (which utilizes all four cores at about 320%).

Working devices include iPod Classic, iPhone, Canon 30D, Spyder colorimeter. I also have three USB printers connected and all can be seen by and printed to from the other Macs on the network. I had to reinstall the Brother scanner software to resolve loginwindow crash. I also had to reinstall the Brother printer drivers from the OS X Leopard retail DVD in the Optional Installs folder to get my HL-1440 to work. The drivers that came with the Brother CD do not work, nor does the current download from the Brother support web site.

My aluminum USB Apple keyboard is not recognized, so I'm using my extended keyboard from my G4 Power Mac.

A very big thanks to Dopamine for helpful insight into getting it up and running.

System specs:

Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP, $150

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 gHz, $220

4gb G-Skill 800 DDR2 RAM, $85

MSI NVidia 8600 GT, $89

750 gb Samsung SATA boot drive, $125

1 tb SATA media drive (Edit 23 May: already owned and for Apple TV server, and not included in price below)

Samsung 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM, $29

Antec Sonata III 500 (500w psu), $130

Built-in Marvel LAN working and sees all computers and Apple TV on the network

Built-in sound working with Taruga patch (front, rear analog; I don't know about optical or line-in)

ZALMAN CNPS9700 cpu cooler, $54

A retail copy of 10.5.2 Leopard

Total cost = US$970 (including shipping)

Currently Im trying to put Mac os X Leopard on my pc useing Brazilmac and the usb thumb drive patch, but with different instructions. I succefuly installed it but am having trouble patching in terminal. The instructions say "browse to your thumb drive then type in the following commands"

cd ..

cd ..

cd Volumes

cd Patcher

cd files

I don't know much unix (dos guy) but I think that you have to mount the drive? So if anybody knows how access a usb drive in terminal (or unix)and then use those commands while in that drive, please post.

Currently Im trying to put Mac os X Leopard on my pc useing Brazilmac and the usb thumb drive patch, but with different instructions. I succefuly installed it but am having trouble patching in terminal. The instructions say "browse to your thumb drive then type in the following commands"

cd ..

cd ..

cd Volumes

cd Patcher

cd files

I don't know much unix (dos guy) but I think that you have to mount the drive? So if anybody knows how access a usb drive in terminal (or unix)and then use those commands while in that drive, please post.

Assuming that
  1. you know how to run Terminal,
  2. you already named the volume of your USB drive blat, and
  3. you have BrazilMAC patch files uncompressed under the root directory of your USB drive (which means you see two files and three directories that came from BrazilMAC patch when you click the USB drive in Windows Explorer),

plug in your USB drive, run Terminal, and type the following letter by letter followed by return or enter key.

cd /Volumes/blat/files; pwd

If the output says something other than

/Volumes/blat/files

you better learn UNIX (or Linux) basic commands. Otherwise, you are there; you successfully changed directory as in the instruction guide. FYI, OS X is a Plug-and-Play OS, at least for USB devices. So there's no mount business just to use them.

System specs:

Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 gHz

4gb G-Skill 800 DDR2 RAM

MSI NVidia 8600 GT

750 gb Samsung SATA boot drive

1 tb WD SATA media drive (for Apple TV server)

Samsung 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

Antec Sonata III 500 (500w psu)

Built-in Marvel LAN working and sees all computers and Apple TV on the network

Built-in sound working with Taruga patch (front, rear analog; I don't know about optical or line-in)

ZALMAN CNPS9700 cpu cooler

A retail copy of 10.5.2 Leopard

Total cost = US$970 (including shipping)

I don't know why, but I list the specifications of my system with costs. :D

Blue means new, green means used, and red means not in possession yet.

OS Apple MB021Z/A $136.87 ($129.00 item + $7.87 tax) on Nov 2007 from Apple Store

Board Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 $65.96 (= $56.99 item + $8.97 S/H) on Aug 2008 from Newegg

CPU Intel BX80562Q6600 $213.99 (= $213.99 item) on Jun 2008 from Newegg

RAM G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ $83.99 (= $83.99 item) on Jul 2008 from Newegg

Graphics BIOSTAR V7603GT21 $35.15 (= $26.00 item + $9.15 S/H) on Apr 2008 from eBay

Wireless ASUS WL-138G V2 $15.49 (= $5.50 item + $9.99 S/H) on Apr 2008 from eBay

HDD Seagate ST3500320AS $79.00 (= $79.00 item) on Jun 2008 from eBay

ODD Samsung SH-S203B $33.99 (= $33.99 item) on Nov 2007 from Newegg

Case ASUS TM-250 about $50.00 on Aug 2006 from Newegg

PSU LOGISYS PS480E12 $20.98 (= $15.99 item + $4.99 S/H) on May 2008 from ChiefValue

Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 213T Black $599.99 (= $699.99 item - $100.00 rebate) on Apr 2005 from Newegg

Keyboard/Mouse Apple M2452/M5769 $23.51 (= $13.51 items + $10.00 S/H) on Jan 2008 from eBay

Speakers Altec Lansing XA3021 $35.00 (= $25.00 item + $10.00 S/H) on Apr 2005 on eBay

So the total is up for $735.40 ($1393.90 with Monitor, Keyboard/Mouse, and Speakers). Too expensive. :thumbsdown_anim: Hands down to Cave Man. I wonder how you pulled it off with $970. You are the man. :blink: