Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

i have a gateway T6321 it has a Intel T2370 and 3gb of ram it also has a X3100.. i am to install Leopard but whenever it turns on it hangs up on the grey apple screen it spins for like 1 minute or less then freezes :( im thinking it's caused by the video card.

reboot with -v

and post what causes to kernel panic to determine if it is the video card :hysterical:

Can't say much about 1920 x 1200 INTERNAL display. But I got 1920 x 1200 running on EXTERNAL display using iATKOS 1.0i r2 with CI/QE:

Well, this is very interesting. I tried to do that also, and my machine hangs on the blue then black screen. The external monitor shows all blue, and it won't wake. I then looked for some logs and found that the kernel is reporting an IGHang. So, with an external monitor I cant boot at all. I then tested no external monitor at 1920x1200, that is also producing the IGHang.

So, here's what I would like to do if you dont mind. I sent you a PM with my email address, would you be so kind as to zip up your 3100 kexts and natit kext (if it is installed) and mail them to me so I can atleast try to get an external monitor working? Pleaaaase? ;)

So, here's what I would like to do if you dont mind. I sent you a PM with my email address, would you be so kind as to zip up your 3100 kexts and natit kext (if it is installed) and mail them to me so I can atleast try to get an external monitor working? Pleaaaase? :)

I did sent you the 3100 kexts. Natit is NOT installed and therefore NOT included. Don't forget to set access rights accordingly root/wheel.

As I said these are the 3100 kexts from iATKOS 1.0i r2. I assume those are the stock 10.5.1 ones. I did look into pversion files, but those have weird numbers like 5.1.8. If you have a collection of 3100 kexts you may diff those to find out, which version iATKOS actually installs. I'd like to know that as well since I dislike black boxes.

If it doesn't work: Another difference is the VideoBIOS. You can see the VBIOS number (it has four digits) in your System BIOS. The VBIOS not only contains VESA 3.0 functions, but also lot's of power management stuff. There is even an interface between VBIOS and operating system where both exchange a lot of data. To get an idea you might browse

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6880077.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6907521.html

It's a generic interface, whose functions and parameters might (and indeed do) change from VBIOS to VBIOS. The VBIOS is developed by intel. Okay, it's slightly different: The code comes from intel and the OEM has to run a script which picks certain parts and configures the VBIOS and finally generates it. A generic VBIOS is included in the .zip Version of the Windows drivers.

Anyway, the point is: Also update your System BIOS, which includes VBIOS, to the latest available version. I do know that Mac uses EFI and doesn't care a lot about BIOS and VBIOS. It's still hard to tell what's all going on behind the scenes.

EDIT: I checked your system BIOS version. There are quiete a lot available from Dell, but I don't think they updated VBIOS for 1720. But for example Inspiron 1525 got VBIOS update in A09 BIOS.

Awesome. Thanks for the information (I am running A06). I will try this stuff when I get home and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

I just updated my XPS M1330:

10.5.1 -> 10.5.2 -> 10.5.3

Doing the subsequent updates the X3100 drivers were updated as well, but remained working out of the box. CI/QE works and external VGA 1920 x 1200 also. HDMI out connector never worked as I expected. And I always have to do the "sleep display" trick to get a display on the screen. Whether I'm booting ToH (netkas) kernel or vanilla doesn't matter.

--

Another thing came to my mind: Do you have 2GB of Memory installed? You might need it for CI/QE @ 1920 x 1200. Why? Shared memory graphics solutions take main memory. And the maximum amount they are allowed to take depends on three things:

a) the BIOS

b ) the amount of memory installed

c) the operating system drivers

We certainly do not know how the MAC OS X drivers calculates the memory that it can take away from main memory and reserve as video memory. We also don't know how the Dell BIOS works in this respect. We do not want to disassemble either of them.

But we do know how XP and Vista work:

1GB main memory => max. 128MB video memory

2GB main memory => max. 384MB video memory

as you may read in the entire section dedicated to "Dynamic Video Memory" here:

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/1487.htm

It's true that 1920 x 1200 @32 Bit (that's how intel drivers represents 24 bit graphics) "only" takes 9 MB of memory. However in 3D you need all sorts of buffers, and every window is are two textures and Mac OS X might reserve memory for the Mac OS "Spaces" feature. Such that in the end 128MB video memory might turn out being not sufficient.

How much memory do you have installed? I'm having 2GB here.

Under Vista using Aero I have ~170MB allocated. In Linux using compiz-fusion 256MB are allocated:

(II) intel(0): Fixed memory allocation layout:
(II) intel(0): 0x00000000-0x0001ffff: ring buffer (128 kB)
(II) intel(0): 0x00020000-0x00029fff: HW cursors (40 kB)
(II) intel(0): 0x0002a000-0x00031fff: logical 3D context (32 kB)
(II) intel(0): 0x00032000-0x00041fff: exa G965 state buffer (64 kB)
(II) intel(0): 0x00042000-0x00042fff: overlay registers (4 kB)
(II) intel(0): 0x00100000-0x0280ffff: front buffer (40000 kB) X tiled
(II) intel(0): 0x0077f000:			end of stolen memory
(II) intel(0): 0x02810000-0x095ecfff: exa offscreen (112500 kB)
(II) intel(0): 0x095ed000-0x0baa4fff: back buffer (37600 kB) X tiled
(II) intel(0): 0x0baa5000-0x0df5cfff: depth buffer (37600 kB) Y tiled
(II) intel(0): 0x0df5d000-0x0ff5cfff: classic textures (32768 kB)
(II) intel(0): 0x10000000:			end of aperture

--

One more thing I just found out:

. If I use vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext and drop PlugIns/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext (certainly not forgetting to adjust AppleACPIPowerSource.kext/Contents/Info.plist to reflect version 1.2.1 of AppleACPIPlatform.kext), I can no longer use sleep display. And without sleep display I can't get internal display to work. At least this applies for me to 10.5.3.

. Thus currently I use AppleACPIPlatform.kext incl. AppleACPIPowerSource from 10.5.1

. In section "Power Management, SpeedStep and (S3) Sleep:" of

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15474

I can read the note:

If you're using the Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext, Energy Saver preferences seem to be only taking effect after a system restart, so if you are having troubles with display sleep, set it to 'Never' and restart your machine to fix any problems.

(S3) Sleep is known to work perfectly using EFI with the Vanilla Darwin kernel, however, it has been reported that integrated graphics solutions may prevent it from working properly.

I am aware that "Sleep" (S3) is not "Display Sleep" (DPMS), but it's not written that clear either. Therefore: Better use some bundled AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.0.5. Most distributions do have that such included.

I tried your kexts and they didn't work for me even at lower resolutions :blink: I do have 2 gb of memory, and it appears that the bios updates available do not address video card stuff. I will try them, but right now I don't have a windows partition on the machine so it may be a while.

Hey guys me again,

After doing some messing around I managed to get a bit furthur. With the installed drivers I know can actually see the screen, except its distorted LOADS. If I use voiceover and go into Sys Profiler in gfx section it says Quartz Extreme: Supported (I hear it read it). Looks like a resolution problem? But in sys preferenences only 1 resolution so dont know. I can boot with -x and get the display normal (which I couldnt before)

If it helps u guys my rev id is 3 not c.

Tried ResSwitchX or somet but it doesnt work (doesnt apply settings :S?)

Any ideas how I can change this stuff?

Thanks

Jonty

Tried ResSwitchX or somet but it doesnt work (doesnt apply settings :S?)

I have had this happen. I create a disk image in the installer everytime I make progress though, and when SwitchResX quits working (I don't know why), I just restore the image from when it was working

jonty did u ever get the email i sent you?

also if it help anyone on a dell, i am on Bios A08

[edit]

everyone post what Distro You Are Using, i am using Leo4Allv3

Maybe its more of a distro problem than a laptop problem.

i noticed that some people using iAtkos are having problems getting this working.

try using Jas, Leo4All or Kalyway

Im using Leo4Allv3 too. What address did you send the email to?

EDIT: Found it, it was on my old email account. 2500 emails and only 1 WASNT spam, yours. Bloody hell thats lots. Its taking me AGES to download all messages so if u see this before I edit again can u send to jontyoglesby@aol.com? the jonty.oglesby@virgin.net is for MSN only. Cheers

One more thing I just found out:

. If I use vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext and drop PlugIns/AppleACPIPowerSource.kext (certainly not forgetting to adjust AppleACPIPowerSource.kext/Contents/Info.plist to reflect version 1.2.1 of AppleACPIPlatform.kext), I can no longer use sleep display. And without sleep display I can't get internal display to work. At least this applies for me to 10.5.3.

I have done more testing on this issue:

I tried different AppleACPIPlatform.kext under 10.5.3 using PC-EFI 8.0 and Darwin 9.3.0 vanilla kernel:

vanilla 10.5.1 version 1.0.5 build 5

This version 1.1.0 build 18 (which I found in the first posting here)

vanilla 10.5.2 version 1.2.1 build 102

vanilla 10.5.3 version 1.2.1 build 167

In all cases I included AppleACPIPowerSource.kext and changed its Info.plist as well as

ACPIPS2Nub/Contents/Info.plist

to reflect the correct AppleACPIPlatform.kext version.

In the latter two (version 1.2.1) Display Sleep does not work for me. That's a problem for me since I'm using integrated graphics X3100 and those rely on Display Sleep to get the display running. If somebody knows a fix to run more recent AppleACPIPlatform versions, I'd appreciate.

System: Dell XPS M1330 with integrated X3100 graphics in GM965 chipset

Distro: was iATKOS 1.0i r2, but having replaced most of it's stuff against vanilla stuff. 10.5.1 -> 10.5.3 update. installed PC EFI v8.0 and booting vanilla Darwin 9.3.0 kernel. Integrated graphics has always been working as long as display sleep trick has been used.

I have a major problem with my dell latitude d630. The specs are in my sig. I tried installing the leopard graphics update to see what would happen. I knew that there are problems with the leopard graphics update on my pc, but I had my data backed up and I still wanted to see if it would work or not. So I installed the update, moved my old version of natit to the root of my hd (thinking that if it didn't work, I could reinstall natit), and rebooted. After rebooting, I saw what many people see, the grayish whitish screen with colored bars accross it. Everything still worked though, just not the display. I thought that I would try to sleep and wake the display, so using spotlight, I searched sleepdisplay, and ran it. When I moved my mouse, it was back to the same screen. I tried this a couple more times. Next, I tried putting the computer to sleep. When I woke it, the same screen was still showing. So I tried this a couple more times, with the same result. After this, I held down the power button on my laptop, forcing it to shutdown. But when I turned it on again, the same screen showed all the way through the boot process. So I had to force it off again. Then I tried booting intu Ubuntu (installed on another partition). Even when it finished booting ubuntu, the same screen was still there. I really need to fix this computer, so thanks to anyone who can help!

I know here are many Dell XPS M1330, Latitude D630/D830, Vostro 1400 oder also other notebook users using X3100 / GM965 chipset. You might want to check this on your laptop:

[CRITICAL] memory data corruption with GM965

(click it)

I have a major problem with my dell latitude d630.

[...] forcing it to shutdown. But when I turned it on again, the same screen showed all the way through the boot process.

Hmm. Can't think of much non volatile memory that might be affected. Remove battery, unplug power and wait 5 minutes. If it's still booting this messy screen, call dell - you should be still under warranty. I have seen some dell laptops from one point of time booting with a corrupt display (colorful stripes in most cases).

I know here are many Dell XPS M1330, Latitude D630/D830, Vostro 1400 oder also other notebook users using X3100 / GM965 chipset. You might want to check this on your laptop:

[CRITICAL] memory data corruption with GM965

(click it)

Hmm. Can't think of much non volatile memory that might be affected. Remove battery, unplug power and wait 5 minutes. If it's still booting this messy screen, call dell - you should be still under warranty. I have seen some dell laptops from one point of time booting with a corrupt display (colorful stripes in most cases).

Thanks! It is still doing that, so I'll call dell. Will it be a problem if I have OS X installed? Because I can put this HD in another laptop and run boot'n nuke to wipe it if needed. And if I do that, will it be a problem if the hard drive is blank?

the grayish whitish screen with colored bars accross it.

Does it somehow look like this (click me)? If yes, I don't think you can do anything except having Dell repair it. In that case I just think it's coincidence that it broke when your testet the sleep functionality. I don't think you broke it by installing and testing Mac OS X since the only two cases I can think of are:

. update Video BIOS to broken one (you haven't done that and there is no way to just overwrite the Video BIOS; this memory is protected and needs very special treatment to install a Video BIOS update).

. overheating. But there are protection circuits and it shouldn't be possible as well.

In Germany a Dell technican comes to your house and replaces the motherboard. I don't know about Dell's service in Virginia. But here they don't care about your harddisk. You may keep everything you have installed. It might be the case that they want you to run Dell diagnostics first, but since you don't have a working display that's meaningless. Thus a screenshot should be sufficient for a replacement. If you have to sent in you notebook, then simply keep the harddrive.

regards,

7oby

Does it somehow look like this (click me)? If yes, I don't think you can do anything except having Dell repair it. In that case I just think it's coincidence that it broke when your testet the sleep functionality. I don't think you broke it by installing and testing Mac OS X since the only two cases I can think of are:

. update Video BIOS to broken one (you haven't done that and there is no way to just overwrite the Video BIOS; this memory is protected and needs very special treatment to install a Video BIOS update).

. overheating. But there are protection circuits and it shouldn't be possible as well.

In Germany a Dell technican comes to your house and replaces the motherboard. I don't know about Dell's service in Virginia. But here they don't care about your harddisk. You may keep everything you have installed. It might be the case that they want you to run Dell diagnostics first, but since you don't have a working display that's meaningless. Thus a screenshot should be sufficient for a replacement. If you have to sent in you notebook, then simply keep the harddrive.

regards,

7oby

It's more like a couple of thick bars (about 1 - 2 inches thick) on the screen vertically. The rest of the screen is gray. Also, the bars change color overtime. They are a purplish color. Thanks so much for your help!

X3100 Without sleep trick!?

Does anyone solved this?!

the problem is that when I start a game (rise of nations), the screen goes black (as the sleep on startup) and I can´t wake the video during the game.

how can I solve this!?

could someone make this x310 video card without the sleep trick!?

Thanks!

-- by the way I use a DELL Inspiron 1525.

X3100 Without sleep trick!?

Does anyone solved this?!

the problem is that when I start a game (rise of nations), the screen goes black (as the sleep on startup) and I can´t wake the video during the game.

how can I solve this!?

could someone make this x310 video card without the sleep trick!?

Thanks!

-- by the way I use a DELL Inspiron 1525.

There is no real fix yet that I know of, but you can get system sleep to work if you are running a vanilla kernel. Once the system has gone through the sleep wake cycle the screen doesn't go black on the resolution change. This will stop the display going black during gaming.

GimmeRed, thanks for your answer.

Im under Leo4All v3 and I chose Vanilla Kernel 9.2 on install.

I what should I do to prevent from going black screen (sleep) when changing resolution??

And when I choose to change resolution inside the game???

I did not underesand what to do.

Please help.

I believe most of all with x3100 could make leo work with the sleep trick.

But how can I wake the black screen when I change the resolution at games? (Rise Of Nations)

When I choose 1440x900 on the game, the screen goes to sleep (black) and I cant wake it up.

The same as on OSX sartup. The sleep problem seems to be everytime the screen changes its resolution.

When I ran the game for the first time, happened the same, but I tryed to wake it simultaniesly with the sleep corner and it worked.

The problem is at control panel from the game.

Any suggestions? Any Ideas?

when you first turn on your laptop and get the lcd on, click on the apple (or hit your power button )

and put your LAPTOP to sleep. then wake it up right after it is fully asleep. this will make the resolution

change seamlessly

I believe this question was answered by GimmeRed read :D LoL :D

There is no real fix yet that I know of, but you can get system sleep to work if you are running a vanilla kernel. Once the system has gone through the sleep wake cycle the screen doesn't go black on the resolution change. This will stop the display going black during gaming.

when he says system i believe he means the actual system and not just the lcd

[EDIT]

>>** THIS ONLY WORK WITH A VANILLA KERNEL TO MY KNOWLEDGE **>>

Jonty's rev id of 3 tells me something is different there. I have no ideas on that. I never did get 1920x1200 working, but I gave up on it because I:

A) can run at 1680x1050 (which is "ok")

;) I am now convinced that I will be buying a MBP

I wanted to do this to try out some software, and said software has sold me. In order for said software to be worth while to me (so I may distribute my work) I really need to be doing things legally. I will probably keep the Dell for a while and buy the software first, but then I am saving up for a nice MBP. The "trial" worked on me :angry:

Though, I will miss the weird looks when people see OS X on a Dell :D