BCM5906

Azurael

235 posts in this topic

Is there any source from any other broadcom (like the one that detects de card, but doesn't work)? If someone can find this, and if there are linux drivers, maybe we can modify the driver to match 5906 chipset. I'll volunteer to do it. Just post the source from 57xx and i'll give it a try.

Is there any source from any other broadcom (like the one that detects de card, but doesn't work)? If someone can find this, and if there are linux drivers, maybe we can modify the driver to match 5906 chipset. I'll volunteer to do it. Just post the source from 57xx and i'll give it a try.

you can use the kext in my post to do that, actually, there just little thing need to be done, and I never have a chance to have all model of BCM cards , so I only can test what I had, but BCM5906 is not included.

to modify my kext, you need to modify

1, included info.plist ,

2, and the DEVICE ID string , and if you have the address of your card, (offset addresses). then you can make the modification much easier...

have fun ...

HERE ----> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114605

you can use the kext in my post to do that, actually, there just little thing need to be done, and I never have a chance to have all model of BCM cards , so I only can test what I had, but BCM5906 is not included.

to modify my kext, you need to modify

1, included info.plist ,

2, and the DEVICE ID string , and if you have the address of your card, (offset addresses). then you can make the modification much easier...

have fun ...

HERE ----> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114605

Yes, that's the kext, but i need source code (normally a bunch of .cpp and .h files, and a XCode project). Some had tried doing that, but it seems that the 5906 doesn't work in the same way as 57XX (different hw, different IO). Do you have your kext source code?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have my Dell M1330 that I actually followed ur guide MacGirl which kicked butt by the way. (Thanks)

Unfortunately I have been plagued with both a 5906m and the 4956AGN (wifi) I am going to pick up either a USB to Wifi or another wifi card later on today which is sad cause I already paid..1000+ for the computer haha. Oh well I'll keep my eye on this page to see what's goin on.

• 4 weeks later...

I am working on it as I can. My free time is limited and I am attempting to support the 57xx series cards at the same time. I am certainly making progress. This project is not abandoned.

Edit: As a small treat here is the current latest SVN revision kext. Please note it DOES NOT WORK. What it should do is correctly get your MAC address from the network card and create a new networking interface in OS X. I have not yet gotten the physical hardware working properly and reliably (kernel panics...) so that code is disabled. This means you will NOT get an IP. You can use Console.app to see the card's information.

http://www.northpolesoftware.com/files/OSXBGE.kext.zip

You can see in Console.app that the phyID is returning 0x00000000. This value needs to be 0xdc00ac40. Somewhere I have not mapped the memory correctly on the card's register mapping. I am trying to chase that issue down now. When I can get the phyID I can attach the physical interface to the software. Trust me I want this working just as much as many of you do so work continues.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have been working all week on the driver. I have got it talking to the the PHY. It will auto-negotiate a connection and correctly report that to the system. I am finishing up work on the the driver and am really pushing for an alpha release within the next week or two. I will keep you guys posted.