BCM5906

Azurael

235 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is anyone have idea, what is it:

http://mac-inul.com/viewtopic.php?p=12438&...561167965c33c30

This topic posted today. By link in the topic you can find file Broadcom5906-beta.kext.zip.

Date of creation October 05 2009 19:46:38

But, in ZIP archive there are some files with "Last modified": 2009-03-27...

P.S.: I could not understand topic-starter's language by link above (seems like Turkish, is it?), so what it was means couldn't understand too.

Is anyone have idea, what is it:

http://mac-inul.com/viewtopic.php?p=12438&...561167965c33c30

P.S.: I could not understand topic-starter's language by link above (seems like Turkish, is it?), so what it was means couldn't understand too.

Yes, I know what it is. And don't worry about it. I don't think you ever seen turkish? Anyway the language reminds me of malay or indonesian.

Yes, I know what it is. And don't worry about it.

It is realy nothing! ;) I just tried to install this kext on my SnowOSX Univeral system, and... got kernel panic.

I don't think you ever seen turkish? Anyway the language reminds me of malay or indonesian.

I seen turkish, but even Google Translator don't understand what that means (in "Automatic Lang to Russian lang" mode).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This kext kill my Leo:)

notebook Lenovo g430

To save your installation

Boot from your installation usb key,open utilities, open terminal then:

cd /Volumes/<Your Drive Name>/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm -rvf *Broadcom5906*

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/<Your Drive Name>/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/<Your Drive Name>/System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -rvf /Volumes/<Your Drive Name>/System/Library/Caches/

Reboot

Repair Permissions

Voila

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i guess the project is stalled, last code commit is in april last year.

currently i'm trying to write a driver for bcm5722 family as my card(bcm5787m) is in the family and

bcm5906 is also in the family.

Excerpt from the manual:

Throughout this document, the following MACs are collectively referred to as BCM5722 Ethernet controllers, and the term BCM5722 Ethernet controller is used to refer to any one of the following MACs:

1. BCM5722
  2. BCM5754
  3. BCM5754M
  4. BCM5755
  5. BCM5755M
  6. BCM5756M
  7. BCM5757
  8. BCM5787
  9. BCM5787M
  10. BCM5906
  11. BCM5906M

lets hope that i can finish this driver as soon as possible

• 3 weeks later...

Used the beta driver, I didn't get any KP's but it froze the mac install. It detected the Lan card and was giving a debug error or something.

Anyone else got this card to work.

The only thing thats stopping the Laptop working of mine which is a new one is the Intel 5100AGN wifi and broadcom 5906m lan card.

Everything else on my nice shinny Lenovo G550 is working.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some good news the driver that acero sent to me finds the Lan card 5906M it even connects to a network or thats what it says on Networking in Mac but DHCP make its self IP outside of the Network IP range and setting it to static and giving it the right ip still won't allow it to connect to the internet but we are past one hurdle.

Ob boot its complaining about the Class iokit for the Broadcom Kext can not be set its also saying about firmware not int'ing so at least Mac can now see the Lan Card now we need to get it to surf the internet.

Snow Leopard local/DHCP DNS server change

Local and DHCP provided DNS servers behave differently with Snow Leopard. With previous versions of Mac OS X, if you had one or more DNS servers entered into the Network system preference pane, and you were also getting DNS server info from a DHCP server, any DNS entries in the Network system preference pane would be used in ADDITION to those specified by DHCP. With Snow Leopard, if you have one or more DNS servers entered in the Network system preferences pane, they are used exclusively, and any DHCP specified DNS servers are ignored.

DNS server reverse order Snow Leopard bug

There is an issue with Mac OS X 10.6.0-10.6.2, where the order of DNS server entries may be read in the reverse order. This can occur if the DNS server entries are added in the Network system preference pane, or if the DNS servers are provided by a DHCP server.

An unresolved bug report has been filed with Apple (#6928835), and it is marked with the description of “Mac OS X internal name resolution often uses DNS servers in reverse order”.

This behavior can cause unexpected results, especially if you have a DHCP server that is providing one or more internal DNS servers, in addition to an external DNS server for a fallback (which is typically listed last).

Snow Leopard DNS differences

Snow Leopard now uses mDNSResponder to resolve DNS. This behaves differently than older versions of Mac OS X, which use Directory Services for DNS resolution.

One key difference is mDNSResponder doesn’t necessarily start “at the top” of the list of DNS server entries (either added in the Network system preference pane or provided by a DHCP server). If the primary DNS server doesn’t respond immediately, mDNSResponder tries the second DNS server. If the second DNS server answers, mDNSResponder may essentially blacklist the first one and keep using the second one until mDNSResponder is reset.

mDNSResponder can be reset by rebooting, or entering this into the Terminal:

sudo killall mDNSResponder

As with the DNS reverse order bug, this behavior can cause unexpected results, especially if you have a DHCP server that is providing one more internal DNS servers, in addition to an external DNS server for a fallback.

Apparently the firewall was refusing inbound connections initiated by the router as it tried to set up the DHCP address being requested by the laptop. The configd daemon is a service that handles configuration changes for various pieces of the system, mostly all network-related. Great, I had something to fix!

I first confirmed configd was in fact running, then deleted the firewall configuration file (located at /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist) and configured the firewall to temporarily allow all connections, and then back to allowing essential services. Sure enough, as soon as I made the changes the Mac was able to get a DHCP address from the router, and the network was back up and working.

• 2 weeks later...
14e4:1713 - anybody got one of these working in OS X? Seems to be a fairly uncommon Broadcom chip used for 100mbit PCIe implementations in a couple of notebooks, including my Lenovo N200. It appears to be based on the single-chip BCM57xx series chips, but with a 100mbit PHY rather than a gigbit one built in. It doesn't work with OS X's AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext, so I might be that I'm SOL, but all those devices use the Broadcom Tigon3 kernel module in Linux, so it makes me wonder if recompiling the driver with some tweaks my coax it into working. I haven't tried AppleBCM5751.kext yet... Off to do that now ;)

Heh ... I take the same thing too ... Is there anyone have BCM 5906 or at least some BCM which is considered as good-working when take place of BCM 5906 ? >"<

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...