BCM5906

Azurael

235 posts in this topic

This has no need to be on x-labs before someone starts programming this. And, no need to look for linux or bsd unless you want to program it, it is the IOKit part that is missing and what should be programmed. That means the physical part of the network stack.

Superhai-- How hard is this to do? Can you get it started? How much work is it really? I cant see how hard this really would be as the 5906 is in the same family as the 57XX series and we already have a kext for that. Also the 57XX series driver will actually load on my system but just wont work with the 5906.

I hope this can get going?

Superhai-- How hard is this to do? Can you get it started? How much work is it really? I cant see how hard this really would be as the 5906 is in the same family as the 57XX series and we already have a kext for that. Also the 57XX series driver will actually load on my system but just wont work with the 5906.

Without the source code the other kext is more or less useless for proper development. And I have not the time to do this.

I think it's a good environment for someone looking to get started with C++. You don't have to worry about those pesky exceptions or mind-bending templates. Mostly because they're not available in kernel and device driver programming! Consider it a feature. You can learn that other stuff later on. And the documentation is superb for the most part. Researching through the Apple mailing list archives is a challenge, though, because that server is almost as slow as this one :)

In fact , I have already learned C++ ;

I only have to learn IOKit , after all, it's different from FreeBSD……

And the logic unit of the BCM5906M , I found it's very hard to find something about it online , Broadcom haven't supply any pdfs!!!

So I have to analysis it from XP drivers…………

Good luck to you. Not having exceptions in C++ kernel programming isn't really a plus because you wind up rebooting about 100 times a day after a kernel panic. I think I'm up to 300 already this week and it's only Tuesday.

Broadcom is notorious for not releasing detailed technical information on any of their chips. That is a severe handicap for everyone, not only OSX programmers. I mean they're really, really bad about it. If you find any leaked specs please let me know :blink: I've looked everywhere including the torrent sites and the p2p networks. There isn't anything out there. They must have the death penalty or something for any of their employees who leaks a spec becuase there is literally nothing.

Well at least 57xx users have a almost working kext unlike us 5906 users who have NOTHING.

Since there is a working base for the 57xx I think we can use that to our advantage. With my setup the 57xx kext actually detects my card but it just wont work. There has to be something to that if its can detect my 5906. There on the same Broadcom Tigon3 kernel.

The problem I bet there having is that the 57xx is gigabyte and not 10/100 like the 5906. Seems like we should be able to get this thing going.

I WISH Azurael would come back to this thread. It sounded like he had something that he was working on. Perhaps we can work on that and go from there.

I AM FULLY WILLING TO TEST THIS.. AND IF I KNEW HOW TO CODE IT I WOULD...

ANYONE WHOS WILLING TO GIVE THIS A GO, THERE ARE PLENTY OF TESTERS HERE READY TO HELP.

• 3 weeks later...
What Good news? Do you got something working?

Please share if you do. I and others would love to see the 5906 ethernet card work in OSX.

Me too. I have this same card in my laptop. My wireless card is ALSO not supported by any OSX driver yet too, which really sucks.

But I think this has promise. I mean, I don't see it being too much different than the other broadcom drivers. Is there anyone that knows anything about this? :)

[P.S -- Where is the source to the 57xx drivers?]

good news !

I just think that he would like to post something as his first post... There are no good news here yet. All us noobs with no understandig in c++ and IOnetworking we just have to learn or wait, for someone, who's much more intelligent than us, who will provide a driver for us. ;)