BCM5906

Azurael

235 posts in this topic

Ok here's information.

First and foremost the driver will NOT be posted in this thread upon completion. It will go on the Google code site (http://code.google.com/p/osxbge/). An updated SVN tree and a built kext will be posted there upon initial release. The current SVN tree on Google code contains very old and deprecated code.

Secondly, I have been pretty much swamped with outside work over the past few weeks (which is why I missed my initial release estimate). The current SVN build will correctly connect with a network and identify the connection speed. The only thing left to get a working driver is to finalize the code that allows the driver to properly send and receive packets. I must stress that this particular part MUST be done correctly otherwise the adapter could be sending and receiving bogus data. Most of the code for this I have already written. The last part I must write will be the function that takes a packet from OS X and allows the adapter to output it.

As for everyone that keeps saying "still waiting": stop being annoying. It is obvious you are still waiting since I have not released it yet. You are not paying me for my time. I have a life besides writing a driver for you. I am not purposely dragging my feet on the project. I will finish the driver as fast as I can. I have already stated that I want this driver to be finished as much as you do. I work in a technology field and the on board Ethernet is obviously quite useful. It will be done when it gets done. Continuously posting "still waiting" in this thread does nothing besides irritate me at your rudeness.

Now I am going to state this next part quite clearly: the initial release of the driver will only happen when it is functional. My idea of functional means it can receive an IP via DHCP, connect to the network using auto-negotiation, and send and receive packets. From this initial release I will fix bugs and work to support the remainder of the Broadcom cards (ie the 57xx series). After that is done I will implement the ability to manually assign an IP address or manually select speed/duplexing. Last on the list is power save options.

BTW if anyone wants to help I need a nice logo for this driver to go on the Google code site. Just the text OSXBGE should be fine. You can go ahead and post your ideas in this thread.

if it helps, I saw that windows installer for the BCM5906 (the one for xps 1330) copy and installs all the files of the 5788M (M for mobility) so my guess is that the 5906M is a variant of the 5788M maybe with some differences in the power scheme.

Well done!!!

BUT can you write a step-to-step lessions on you writing, so that we all can learn how to write a driver, and your method on solving problems...

Are you still using the method of "guessing" from the BSD port driver? That would be a hard job!

I was never "guessing" from the BSD code. Since I had almost no idea how network drivers worked before starting this project I was essentially copying code from BSD source and figuring out what it did and how it affected OS X. I read the IOKit documentation several times and reviewed many open source network drivers. This is essentially why it is taking so long. I am learning everything as I go. I refuse to create a "hacked together" version since that method not only creates a driver with bugs and issues but oftentimes only works in one specific way. I want to understand everything I write that way I can both debug it better and hopefully write the code in a mostly correct way the first time.

I read the IOKit documentation several times and reviewed many open source network drivers. This is essentially why it is taking so long. I am learning everything as I go.

Could you post the state of your code to google code now so some of us experienced users can help you? You'd still be in control of commits, but as an end user with some knowledge I would really appreciate being able to contribute to the process rather than simply sitting and waiting. The google code site is designed to make collaboration and version control easy, which speeds up the development process greatly. Thanks in advance.

Creo que todos agradecemos el trabajo que realizas wingrunr21, pero opino lo mismo que bpl07, creo que esto es una comunidad y por lo tanto no esta demas compartir las fuentes, para que todos los que tengamos idea, podamos aportar aunque sea un poquito y asi lograr que nuestro amado driver vea la luz, se que aveces los programadores tendemos a querer hacerlo solos y decir yo lo hice, te entiendo muy bien, pero haber si nos dejas ayudarte. Gracias

Could you post the state of your code to google code now so some of us experienced users can help you? You'd still be in control of commits, but as an end user with some knowledge I would really appreciate being able to contribute to the process rather than simply sitting and waiting. The google code site is designed to make collaboration and version control easy, which speeds up the development process greatly. Thanks in advance.

I'm quite aware what Google Code is used for. What I got tired of was people checking the code out of Google code and then contacting me with "fixes" and "solutions" to get it working when in reality they had little to no experience writing code and would be hard pressed to write a website much less a device driver.

Creo que todos agradecemos el trabajo que realizas wingrunr21, pero opino lo mismo que bpl07, creo que esto es una comunidad y por lo tanto no esta demas compartir las fuentes, para que todos los que tengamos idea, podamos aportar aunque sea un poquito y asi lograr que nuestro amado driver vea la luz, se que aveces los programadores tendemos a querer hacerlo solos y decir yo lo hice, te entiendo muy bien, pero haber si nos dejas ayudarte. Gracias

I am not in the mindset of wanting to do it alone but I was getting a TON of people contacting me with code "fixes". It was getting so annoying I stopped updating the SVN tree. In any case, I re-updated the SVN tree on Google code.

If you can PROVE to me that you are competent programmer then I will add you to the project. Any patches that are sent to me with poor style or are hackjobs will not be committed even if they work. The goal of this project is to write a PROPER driver that has the range of support that the BGE/tg3 driver has. This means when you code you must keep in mind the other chipsets not just the 5906. Hackjob code can create bugs and in a kernel-level driver that usually means odd behavior or panics.

• 3 weeks later...

hi wingrunr21 i checking 5906m project. i see your nick everywhere dear friend you need a some help from voodoo team. voodoohda is very nice stopped my all alc888 problem.

i have lenovo 3000/n200 but problem with 5906m and 4965agn. i.m downloaded and loaded your osxbge.kext but not receving ip.

Please contact with voodoo team.

• 2 weeks later...

Bien, tienes razon, realmente no sé programar para Mac, estoy aprendiendo :,) porque, creo que soy como la mayoria que quiere tener Mac OS instalado su PC, con o sin conocimientos de programación en este sistema. Y cuando decía podemos aportar no solo me referia a mi, si no también a otros que si dominan programación para mac. Digo esto por que no siempre hay tiempo libre, otros trabajan, otros estudiamos y otros hacen alguna cosa.

Realmente quiero ver trabajando a mi tarjeta de red BCM5906. :,)

Bien, tienes razon, realmente no sé programar para Mac, estoy aprendiendo :,) porque, creo que soy como la mayoria que quiere tener Mac OS instalado su PC, con o sin conocimientos de programación en este sistema. Y cuando decía podemos aportar no solo me referia a mi, si no también a otros que si dominan programación para mac. Digo esto por que no siempre hay tiempo libre, otros trabajan, otros estudiamos y otros hacen alguna cosa.

Realmente quiero ver trabajando a mi tarjeta de red BCM5906. :,)

Spanish? why?

because this is the international area, national languages are allowed in the localized areas of the forum.

i think is better for everyone write in english here, even if the rules of the forum don't talk about this.

Think if everyone start to reply using his own language and the mess that will come out ;)

Sorry for my spelling, I use machine translation, somebody tried to make this card propisyvaya it dsdt?

And there is any news from wingrunr21, this project works, or it is closed already?

I just do not quite understand what you write

Wingrunr is working on it, we'll let you know on this thread when it is successful.

So long time no post. In truth I have not touched the driver in several weeks. I've been busy as hell. Anyway I am probably going to go pick up one of those new 13" Macbooks in the near future. That will make driver development somewhat easier since I can then use the Macbook to remotely debug my code.

So long time no post. In truth I have not touched the driver in several weeks. I've been busy as hell. Anyway I am probably going to go pick up one of those new 13" Macbooks in the near future. That will make driver development somewhat easier since I can then use the Macbook to remotely debug my code.

You'll need a bultin ethernet to do that. I've already tried it.

• 3 weeks later...