My Leopard installation working great :) *First post recently updated*

stellarola

140 posts in this topic

THIS POST HAS BEEN COMPLETELY UPDATED ON DEC.16 2007

FIRST SEE THE VIDEO OF MY RIG IN ACTION HERE!

Alright so here is my second shot at giving as much info as I can possibly give on my setup.

So a lot has happened in the OSx86 community since the big news of PC_EFI by Netkas. OSx86 as we know it will never be the same. It's time to think in a modern hackintosh mindset, if you will. I built a setup that would be future friendly and also easy on the wallet. I'll start off with some quick Q & A for early hackintosh adopters.

Q: Why did you decide to build a Hackintosh?

A: I've been really interested in buying an iMac. They are smooth, slick looking machines. Problem is, I have never used a Mac prior to this. So I opted on trying OSx86 on my older machine, which had a Pentium 4. I checked out the wiki and I had enough compatible components to go forward with an install of OSx. To my amazement it worked after much fiddling around. When I say "fiddling around", I mean weeks of reading the forums and A LOT of trial and error. Everything seemed to work decently on that older build. However I wanted to get the full experience. So I put together this setup. To get to the main reason of this question, it was for experimentation. I like the challenge.

Q: What are the main differences in the modern Hackintosh and an original Apple machine?

A: I'd say the gap is starting to bridge together nowadays. By no means will a 'Hack'intosh ever be as simple as setting up and maintaining an Apple machine. That's where an Apple wins hands down. But, if you're interested in the learning experience and just the sheer satisfaction of doing this project...it's for you.

With the recent introduction of PC_EFI, people now can fully update their Hacks with little to no problems at all. This was the big separation between the two. Of course, no one is running "original" Apple hardware anything so you will still need modified Kexts for sound and graphics. This applies to everyone, even now. If you have more 'Apple-like' hardware, you will be in the clear for this. That means Intel based motherboards. Intel Core based CPUs (coreduo, core2duo, core2quad, etc). I'd stay away from AMD for this project as this is based around the modern Hack.

Q: Any pointers for n00bs?

A: Yes, always!

-Don't bug the {censored} out of people with questions, use google first!

-Don't always ask, "Hey will this work?" See above! ;)

-A Pentium D might be "dual core", but it's not a Core based CPU (CoreDuo, Core2Duo, Core2Quad, etc)

-Experiment as everyone has. I've broken my installs over 30 times. I've learned from every single one of them. Trial and Error FTW!

-This thread is for the modern Hackintosh, so let's keep it that way

-Small details are always the biggest problem for people. Double and triple check everything. You obviously messed up if it doesn't work as stated.

-Buy compatible parts

-Don't freak out!

-Take a breath

-Be prepared to stay up all night. Every night.

Q: GPT (GUID) or Master Boot Record (MBR) Partition?

A: I've done extensive testing for both these partition methods. I started out with a MBR partition then switched to GPT. With GPT i got higher Xbench HDD scores and I can easily resize and delete partitions on my HDD. Also, it's very simple to setup bootable partitions. My spare HDD has an extra install of Leopard, Tiger and Windows Vista.

Alright so I think I'm done with the Q&A. I want to do a price breakdown of EVERYTHING in my setup. Prices can vary depending on where you purchased them, but this is my checklist.

-------------

Stellarola's Rig Specs

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-945GCMX-S2 - $62 shipped

CPU - Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4ghz overclocked to 2.88ghz - $189 shipped

Ram - A-Data 2GB DDR2 800mhz - $73 shipped

Harddrives -

Western Digital Raptor 16MB cache 150GB 10000rpm (SATA) - $120 shipped

Seagate 16MB cache 320gb 7200rpm (SATA) - $70 shipped

Graphics - Nvidia 7900GS 256MB - $60 shipped

Optical Drive - NEC DVD+-RW ND-3650A SATA -$36 shipped

Computer case (chassis) - Antec NSK4480B - $90 (in-store)

Audio (external) - M-Audio Jamlab USB (Input, Output)

Expansion devices - Noname Firewire/USB 2.0 PCI Card - $5 (in-store)

Webcam - Xbox 360 Live Camera USB - Free from friend

Keyboard - Apple Keyboard - $30 (in store)

Mouse - Kingston USB mouse - Free from friend

24"inch Westinghouse LCD monitor (1920x1200) - $359 (in-store)

TOTAL COST = $1094

Now, this is the TOTAL COST for EVERYTHING. Everyone knows that this system can be had for much less. Most people have an extra monitor, keyboard, graphics card, etc. Like I said prices very much vary, obviously. If you want to save the most, be patient, shop eBay. You can't beat it.

So I'd like to do a comparison here to a similarly configured Mac...

iMac 24" inch w/ 2.8ghz Core2Extreme

Price - $2299

Geekbench Score - 3831

Stell's Rig -

Price - $1094

Geekbench Score - 3831

Xbench - 185.13

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=255092

Cash saved = $1205!!!!!

Time saved = HAH, should of gone with a real Mac on this one! :)

So I saved a lot of cash. However there is one item I wouldn't skimp on and that would be the HDD. Trust me when I say this, you want to buy a WD Raptor HDD. It's the best investment I've made in building this project. Everything is soo much faster with this HDD than a 7200rpm HDD. It really is like night and day with the Raptor. Please, for baby Jesus, buy it!

So I take it people want to see some pictures...

Holy {censored}! Look at the size of that monitor! I'm glad I upgraded to a 24" inch. It's big, bright and beautiful!

2119147831_5cde667273_b.jpg

This is a blurry picture of the case I chose. It was really a last minute choice, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

2114059807_a848446db7_o.jpg

Desktop...

2114069735_88cbbe3f64_b.jpg

So you decided to build a Hack now? Where to start? Here, the forums! Read up! There are many great guides to follow on installing Leopard on your system. Though I would highly suggest getting 2 HDDs for your system. One for the OS (primary) and the other for spare installs (secondary) for editing the primary drive along with backup. It's saved me so much time when testing experimental kexts and the like.

Anyways what everyone wants to here is this...

-Sleep Works

-Restart Works

-Shutdown Works

^ This all works with the build above.

Anyways, I'll update this again soon with more information and pictures. I'm off.

-Stell

Have you tried any games on it yet?
I tried World of Warcraft on my system, works just fine. :censored2:
Did your xbox360 camera work with out drivers?
No drivers required. Plug n play! The camera quality is as good as an iSight for sure.

I tried World of Warcraft on my system, works just fine. :)No drivers required. Plug n play! The camera quality is as good as an iSight for sure.

Hmm i was looking for a camera to work as an iSight. I have a laptop though so i think ill go out and buy a supported notebook one

Hi,

What about:

- Suspend and resume

- Boot camp

- TV-out

thx...

Suspend and resume (sleep) works, but it needs a specific AppleSMBIOS kext which displays my 2.4ghz as 4ghz core2duo in the "About Mac" screen. Not a big deal at all.

TV-Out works on my card. :(

Boot Camp doesnt work, but this is a "problem" with running osx86 for everyone. There's no reason to run bootcamp when you can just partition your hdd. You'll get full native windows speed, unlike Boot Camp.

Thanks,

-Ben

Hey Stell - this is a great walk through :thumbsdown_anim:

I have just found online a GA-945GCMX-S2 that I picked up - so my rig is going to almost perfectly mirror yours soon except for the change in video cards.

And yes for those who are asking - I've done a few video chats with Stell on ichat on the macbook and his quality is superb when full screen - the 360 webcam works perfectly in leopard.

Do i need a workig Tiger to do the tutorial? Because there is some text that says i have to open the terminal etc etc. Which terminal? the terminal on the dvd?

Yes you need 2 tiger installations one to write leopard on and one to get in to to patch leopard after it is installed. then you can combine the disk by typing this in to terminal when you get leopard working " sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" new diskXsX diskYsY"

x's= leopard partition y's=tiger partition

Yes you need 2 tiger installations one to write leopard on and one to get in to to patch leopard after it is installed. then you can combine the disk by typing this in to terminal when you get leopard working " sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" new diskXsX diskYsY"

x's= leopard partition y's=tiger partition

Can anyone confirm that this merge partitions works?

And would this work with a fat32 as the other partition?

Does this work in tiger?

Thanks in advance :wacko:

Official apple kernel. :)

Regarding getting the pc_efi up and running. Did you do a re-install or did you get the pc_efi stuff going form an existing install of Leopard. I've got a BrazilMac method installed Leopard, works fine, but thinking about doing the pc_efi thing so that I needn't worry about updates breaking things. I've got a Core 2 Duo and an Intel chipset so I presume things will work fine. Which guide did you follow for pc_efi?

Hey Stellarola... Thanks for the inspiring info! I think I might try to build a box like you... IF I can figure out this problem. Maybe you can shed some light on it for me... I applied BrazilMac patch as instructed in the guide. Then burned the iso to a SL DVD. Then tried booting several PCs, including a Dell GX620. None of them would boot past the grey screen with the dark grey Apple logo under which is the spinning progress wheel. Below is a copy of the terminal during the patch. What are the "can't use root" errors? Is that my problem? What am I doing wrong??? Please help! I want to show this off at work this week!

bash-3.2# ./9a581-patch.sh

Converting DMG to editable image...

Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…

Reading BOOTCAMP (Apple_ISO : 1)…

Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2)…

Reading Macintosh (Apple_Driver_ATAPI : 3)…

Reading Mac_OS_X (Apple_HFS : 4)…

Elapsed Time: 14m 17.610s

Speed: 9.0Mbytes/sec

Savings: 0.0%

created: /Users/zach/Desktop/leopard.iso.cdr

Mounting new ISO read-write...

/dev/disk2 Apple_partition_scheme

/dev/disk2s1 Apple_partition_map

/dev/disk2s2 Apple_Driver_ATAPI

/dev/disk2s3 Apple_HFS /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD

Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...

Renaming image to osx86dvd...

Volume on disk2s3 renamed to osx86dvd

Removing Xcode Tools...

Removing X11user and 6 languages files...

Removing minibless...

Removing printer packages...

Removing OSInstall...

Removing Kernel files...

Removing Boot-related things...

Removing Extensions...

Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called

Replacing minibless...

Replacing OSInstall.mpkg...

Replacing boot-related files...

Replacing Kernel...

Replacing extensions...

ALL PATCHES APPLIED !!!

Creating bootable DVD in 10 seconds...

You might want to CTRL-Z and inspect /Volumes/osx86dev now.

Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation

Total translation table size: 2048

Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0

Total directory bytes: 0

Path table size(bytes): 10

Max brk space used 0

241 extents written (0 MB)

Creating a bootable image and remove any previous copies...

created: /Users/zach/Desktop/Leo_Patched_DVD.dmg

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rdisk3'

#: type name length base ( size )

1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1

2: Apple_Free Extra 9177024 @ 64 ( 4.4G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=9177088 (4.4G)

DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Creating partition on the image...

Copying data onto the image...

900+0 records in

900+0 records out

460800 bytes transferred in 1.905737 secs (241796 bytes/sec)

Initialized /dev/rdisk3s3 as a 4480 MB HFS Plus volume

DITTOING...

BLESSING...

umount: unmount(/mnt): Resource busy

"disk3" unmounted.

hdiutil: couldn't eject "disk3" - error 49168

Update prebinding...

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/MacOS/QuickTime Player: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Shortcut.framework/Versions/A/Shortcut: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Libraries/libhotspot.dylib: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/QTKit: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeH264.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeH264: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeMPEG4.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeMPEG4: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeImporters.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeImporters: can't open file, errno=2

Renaming to original image name...

Volume on disk2s3 renamed to Mac OS X Install DVD

"disk2" unmounted.

"disk2" ejected.

Renaming image to actual extension type...

hdiutil: mount failed - no mountable file systems

Disk Utility Tool

Usage: diskutil rename MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode newName

diskutil renameVolume MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode newName

The new name is subject to file system-specific naming restrictions.

Rename and renameVolume are synonyms.

Ownership of the specified volume may be required.

Example: diskutil rename /Volumes/SomeDisk SomeNewName

hdiutil: eject failed - No such file or directory

Removing tempdisk and useless dirs...

ALL Done !!

bash-3.2#

How is there iMovie and all that other stuff, i tried the brazil release and i got none of those applications...

He probably patched a disk image using the BrazilMac pre-patcher rather than downloading the stripped image from BT. I could be wrong, though.