My Leopard installation working great :) *First post recently updated*

stellarola

140 posts in this topic

Hey Stellarola... Thanks for the inspiring info! I think I might try to build a box like you... IF I can figure out this problem. Maybe you can shed some light on it for me... I applied BrazilMac patch as instructed in the guide. Then burned the iso to a SL DVD. Then tried booting several PCs, including a Dell GX620. None of them would boot past the grey screen with the dark grey Apple logo under which is the spinning progress wheel. Below is a copy of the terminal during the patch. What are the "can't use root" errors? Is that my problem? What am I doing wrong??? Please help! I want to show this off at work this week!

bash-3.2# ./9a581-patch.sh

Converting DMG to editable image...

Reading Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0)…

Reading BOOTCAMP (Apple_ISO : 1)…

Reading Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2)…

Reading Macintosh (Apple_Driver_ATAPI : 3)…

Reading Mac_OS_X (Apple_HFS : 4)…

Elapsed Time: 14m 17.610s

Speed: 9.0Mbytes/sec

Savings: 0.0%

created: /Users/zach/Desktop/leopard.iso.cdr

Mounting new ISO read-write...

/dev/disk2 Apple_partition_scheme

/dev/disk2s1 Apple_partition_map

/dev/disk2s2 Apple_Driver_ATAPI

/dev/disk2s3 Apple_HFS /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD

Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...

Renaming image to osx86dvd...

Volume on disk2s3 renamed to osx86dvd

Removing Xcode Tools...

Removing X11user and 6 languages files...

Removing minibless...

Removing printer packages...

Removing OSInstall...

Removing Kernel files...

Removing Boot-related things...

Removing Extensions...

Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called

Replacing minibless...

Replacing OSInstall.mpkg...

Replacing boot-related files...

Replacing Kernel...

Replacing extensions...

ALL PATCHES APPLIED !!!

Creating bootable DVD in 10 seconds...

You might want to CTRL-Z and inspect /Volumes/osx86dev now.

Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation

Total translation table size: 2048

Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0

Total directory bytes: 0

Path table size(bytes): 10

Max brk space used 0

241 extents written (0 MB)

Creating a bootable image and remove any previous copies...

created: /Users/zach/Desktop/Leo_Patched_DVD.dmg

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rdisk3'

#: type name length base ( size )

1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1

2: Apple_Free Extra 9177024 @ 64 ( 4.4G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=9177088 (4.4G)

DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Creating partition on the image...

Copying data onto the image...

900+0 records in

900+0 records out

460800 bytes transferred in 1.905737 secs (241796 bytes/sec)

Initialized /dev/rdisk3s3 as a 4480 MB HFS Plus volume

DITTOING...

BLESSING...

umount: unmount(/mnt): Resource busy

"disk3" unmounted.

hdiutil: couldn't eject "disk3" - error 49168

Update prebinding...

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/MacOS/QuickTime Player: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Shortcut.framework/Versions/A/Shortcut: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Libraries/libhotspot.dylib: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/QTKit: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeH264.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeH264: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeMPEG4.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeMPEG4: can't open file, errno=2

update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeImporters.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeImporters: can't open file, errno=2

Renaming to original image name...

Volume on disk2s3 renamed to Mac OS X Install DVD

"disk2" unmounted.

"disk2" ejected.

Renaming image to actual extension type...

hdiutil: mount failed - no mountable file systems

Disk Utility Tool

Usage: diskutil rename MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode newName

diskutil renameVolume MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode newName

The new name is subject to file system-specific naming restrictions.

Rename and renameVolume are synonyms.

Ownership of the specified volume may be required.

Example: diskutil rename /Volumes/SomeDisk SomeNewName

hdiutil: eject failed - No such file or directory

Removing tempdisk and useless dirs...

ALL Done !!

bash-3.2#

I'll be honest with you brother, I'm not the best with troubleshooting with problems like that. I didn't have any trouble with making a disc and installing it with my setup. This topic is more of a suggestion for a easy, cheap build for people. I wish I could help ya! :)

-Stell

I'll be honest with you brother, I'm not the best with troubleshooting with problems like that. I didn't have any trouble with making a disc and installing it with my setup. This topic is more of a suggestion for a easy, cheap build for people. I wish I could help ya! :D

-Stell

Ok, no problem. Could you at least give me the MD5 checksum of your Leo_Patched_DVD.iso??? I'd like to compare it with mine. If it's the same then my image should work too. My MD5 =72e93dc1c241b5b72e80241ef455f46e

I can confirm that updates work 100% using pc_efi. I just updated to 10.5.1 9B13 build without having to change anything. :)

1996785338_a4d22cc1a8_b.jpg

Hi Stellarola,

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyways, did you buy a real copy of Leopard from the store then patched it using BrazilMac? This would be cool because then we could register it. Thanks for all your hard work and sharing your info with all of us.

Thanks again,

Miro30

I'm currently using pc_efi v31 on my setup. I'm using all original kexts and my about mac actually shows the proper speeds. All I had to add was audio and video kexts. Everything seems to run much smoother now. Thanks netkas and team! ;)

1945391818_e9d3b28caa_b.jpg

Also my xbench score is 142.37 and heres a link to my geekbench score 3211

Where do you get your wallpaper for your mac?

Hi Stellarola,

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask anyways, did you buy a real copy of Leopard from the store then patched it using BrazilMac? This would be cool because then we could register it. Thanks for all your hard work and sharing your info with all of us.

Thanks again,

Miro30

Yup, just make an image file of the original disc and patch it to boot on your x86. :D

Yup, just make an image file of the original disc and patch it to boot on your x86. :P

Stellarola,

Thanks for the reply, three quick questions:

1) After installing Leopard with the original disc, is it possible to do the system software update through Apple without crashing the system? I read somewhere that this is possible with some patches, is this right?

2) Does Final Cut Studio 3 run properly under Leopard?

3) Does Adobe Photoshop, After Effects CS3 work on Leopard?

Thanks again for your help, hopefully I will be able to contribute something valuable to this forum.

Cheers,

Miro30

By the way, cool wallpaper!

I just bought a Western Digital Raptor HDD. I can tell you this, it has sped everything on my computer up x3! It's so much faster than the Seagate 7200RPM I was using. It seems hackintoshes don't hit the same marks as similar Mac setups, when it comes to HDDs. This drive is as good if not faster than the iMac's HDD speed. Everything loads up instantly!

Buy one today! :D

Hello

Just two questions about your cheapintosh ;) :

- which release of Tiger did you install before installing Leopard (jas, xxx or other)

- what about overclocking ? is it possible to use a C2D E4400 and overclock at 3GHz ?

Thanks (sorry for my bad english :hysterical: )

My Question is could you get the onboard sound working even with just 2-ch? I am thinking of building this and slapping OSX Server on there and want to keep it as compact as possible while still being cheap and vanilla. Thank you :wacko:

Oh yeah and will the Mobo take DDR2 400 memory even if there is a slight performance hit?

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm i was looking for a camera to work as an iSight. I have a laptop though so i think ill go out and buy a supported notebook one

Hello I_am...me

You offer help, I am looking. You have pretty much the same hardware as I do: Acer Aspire 5160.

I am currently downloading the torrents:

- Leopard_Gold_Master_(9A581)

- kalyway_Leopard_DVD_intelSSE3_9a527

- BrazilMac-9a581-Patch_updated_31oct_version.3899832.TPB.torrent

Pre-reading through the "guide" Stella mentions in post #1, I assume required item "The 9a581 GM DVD image" would be the Gold_Master, that the item "the zip file containing all the files needed for this guide" is the pc_efi_v52 file I already have.

Are you able to confirm that I am downloading the proper files?

Did you run the script to copy over the kexts? Did you need any others for your Acer?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. It will likely be a couple of days before the torrents are done.

@ stellarolla.... btw, great build.... i got a foxconn 45cm and it has the same chipset(945gc ihc7)as your 945gcmx-s2 and im running onetracks pc efi v52 guide(also great)....i got 950 gma but i got a new graphics card (nvidia 6600 pci-e)coming in the mail soon...... i read on one of these post that there was some sort of bios setting that enables/helps enable sleep function...would you know anything about this bios setting?....everything works great 'cept for sleep and i can't power off or restart, i gotta do that manually..... i'm trying to avoid getting a new mobo....thanx

@ stellarolla.... btw, great build.... i got a foxconn 45cm and it has the same chipset(945gc ihc7)as your 945gcmx-s2 and im running onetracks pc efi v52 guide(also great)....i got 950 gma but i got a new graphics card (nvidia 6600 pci-e)coming in the mail soon...... i read on one of these post that there was some sort of bios setting that enables/helps enable sleep function...would you know anything about this bios setting?....everything works great 'cept for sleep and i can't power off or restart, i gotta do that manually..... i'm trying to avoid getting a new mobo....thanx

Hey, all you need to do in the bios is turn S3 on in the power settings. I believe the default for my board was S1. You'll get fully working sleep. My board can sleep and shutdown. No restart though, but this is normal for people using a stock apple kernel.

-Stell

So I had a spare Wireless-G pci card sitting around. I decided to install it into my system. I only have 1 ethernet connection in my room and I also wanted to use Xbox Live as well.

The Wifi card in question is Dlink DWL-G520. It was grotesque how easy it was to install in Leopard.

All I had to do was add 1 line to an Info.plist with Plist Editor.

The Info.plist file is located in... System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I know you have to dig for a while, but everyone knows how to right-click and "show package contents".

So I added my device id string to the Info.plist which is highlighted in the image below...

picture3nf6.png

After that, I repaired the permissions with the standard chmod and chown. Then I deleted the Extensions.mkext, which is located in System/Library. I always delete this file when I go to install a new kext. Then I open up disk manager and repiar permissions from there. (I like to be thorough) :rolleyes:

Heck even after that, I F8 at bootup and type -f to remove the kextcache. :unsure:

Basically if you can install a kext, which EVERYONE knows how to do it, you can do this...it's cake.

So I boot it up and select Airport. I first had to turn off my ethernet, which makes sense.

picture2yc8.png

Got my networks connected now...

picture4fg5.png

Everything is working great! I've had such great luck with my setup. I haven't had a chance to try a WAP network, since we only use WEP. The signal strength is super strong and super fast.

-Stell

alright... my bios default setting is s3.....i think my rig is going to sleep but, the sleep display won't come up.... if i put it to sleep the cursor disappears (and reappears when you move the mouse), the cpu activity icon sorta goes flatline, and the psu fan seems to take it down a few notches but, the screen is not blank....also if i go into my system pref. and set sleep to ''never'' and screen saver to 5 min - sleep display to 10 min, the screen will go from the screen saver to the desk top when according to my settings it should be at ''sleep display''...... :(

it is sorta like everything will sleep but the actual display....could this be a graphics card issue?

to further explain if i set a hot corner to sleep display then move the cursor in that corner... nothing happens

any ideas... thanks in advance

@stellarolla: i used the applesmbios.kext from v51 with the v52 install and it runs ALOT better

alright... my bios default setting is s3.....i think my rig is going to sleep but, the sleep display won't come up.... if i put it to sleep the cursor disappears (and reappears when you move the mouse), the cpu activity icon sorta goes flatline, and the psu fan seems to take it down a few notches but, the screen is not blank....also if i go into my system pref. and set sleep to ''never'' and screen saver to 5 min - sleep display to 10 min, the screen will go from the screen saver to the desk top when according to my settings it should be at ''sleep display''...... :hysterical:

it is sorta like everything will sleep but the actual display....could this be a graphics card issue?

to further explain if i set a hot corner to sleep display then move the cursor in that corner... nothing happens

any ideas... thanks in advance

@stellarolla: i used the applesmbios.kext from v51 with the v52 install and it runs ALOT better

Which mobo do you have?

i got a foxconn 45cm :

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Moth...ID=en-us0000316

EDIT: sleep is definitely working, the computer is just not puting the display to sleep..

i got a nvidia 7950gt coming...i'm using the 950gma onboard right now....do you think it is a graphics card issue?

EDIT Dec 8 2007:i still have the 7950gt coming and, today i just ''acquired'' a nvidia 7200gs....forget the nvidia 6600

The following is an excerpt from my first attempt using BrazilMac. I think there is a problem. While my source image seems fine, my result ISO is empty but 4gig in size.

<start of snippet>

Reading whole disk (Apple_HFS : 0)...

Elapsed Time: 11m 53.159s

Speed: 10.2Mbytes/sec

Savings: 0.0%

created: /Users/john/Desktop/leopard.iso.cdr

Mounting new ISO read-write...

/dev/disk2 /Volumes/Mac OS X Upgrade DVD 1

Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...

Renaming image to osx86dvd...

Disk Utility Tool

Usage: diskutil rename [Mount Point|Disk Identifier|Device Node] newName

Rename a volume (only works for HFS(+) or UFS disks).

Ownership of the specified volume may be required.

Example: diskutil rename /Volumes/SomeDisk SomeNewName

Removing Xcode Tools...

Removing X11user and 6 languages files...

Removing minibless...

Removing printer packages...

Removing OSInstall...

Removing Kernel files...

Removing Boot-related things...

Removing Extensions...

Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called

Replacing minibless...

cp: /Volumes/osx86dvd/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/minibless: No such file or directory

chown: /Volumes/osx86dvd/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/minibless: No such file or directory

chmod: /Volumes/osx86dvd/Install Mac OS X.app/Contents/Resources/minibless: No such file or directory

Replacing OSInstall.mpkg...

cp: /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg: No such file or directory

chown: /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg: No such file or directory

chmod: /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg: No such file or directory

<end of snippet>

My first clue to a problem are the items in bold

Can anyone offer some clues?

Ok just a small update about GPT.

I started with MBR (Master Boot Record Partition) then went to try GPT (aka as GUID). The first time I did this my results were subpar. I got higher hdd scores in Xbench with GPT than MBR. It didn't run as smooth as I thought it would though. After the short time with GPT, I went back to MBR.

So, I got a wild hair and decided to give GPT another go. I installed the GPT partition on my extra HDD to do more thorough testing. These are my results so far.

-HDD access does seem faster this time around (Seagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB CACHE)

-I DID NOT need to do a Disk Repair after the 10.5.1 update like I did with MBR. I would imagine that's because it's the actual format Apple uses for it's computers. So this is a defiant plus on the GPT side.

-------------

I want to do more testing before I partition my primary HDD. My biggest problem with GPT last time was, it seemed like the HDD was not active, so it had to turn on to access folders, apps, etc. It was kind of strange. Anyway, I'll see how it acts on this backup HDD I have.

-Stell

Hey I have the same video card as you and I was wondering if you could help me out with the drivers for that, I have EFI 5.2 but i cant figure out how to make the drivers work for my video card also if you know anything about dual monitor support could you send me in the right direction with that?

Thanks