[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

All are working for me, but I can't have any dsdt. If have dsdt, the system not finishes the boot sequence, getting stuck at "[ PCI configuration begin ]" line. It is about the dsdt that is working on my SL.

In another hand, the Appstore keeps to no working for me, even I did all tricks in my network settings.

That minds the DSDT you are using have some problem in the configuration, what you can do is take mine and replace the CPU information with the one you are using and try then, it is not the best solution but you have nothing to lose. with the App Store and the network configuration you must have the ethernet in en0 at all times and the cable connected to work. There is some people in this tread very good with the DSDT, if you can't get yours to work appeal to them, I'm sure they are going to help you. Good luck. :censored2:

P.S. I forgot, if you modify mi DSDT remember to follow the instructions on Post #703, by the way DB1 is really good with DSDT, try to contact him about your problem.

Hi,

I have a SNow Leopard installation working fine on my Sata HD.

I followed the usb guide to install Lion on an external HardDisk connected via USB and Lion starts perfectly.

So I Used the same procedure to install Lion on the Hard disk where Snow Leopard was installed. It installs, but when I try to boot starting from the usb stick it stops to "Still waiting for root device"..

The setting is of Sata as Ahci..

what should I do?

thanks

OK, I now have a working LION starting from HD without USB Stick.

I followed the USB Stick Installation procedure and then the elviejo suggestions in Post #1124.

I deleted the DSDT.aml file and did not replace with any other...I am running without DSDT.aml and I don't know How to compile it. I came from SL and also in SL I did coudl not compile any good DSDT file.

On Board audio is not working (do I need a good DSDT file to have on board audio?)

Moreover Software Update suggest and update on LION DP4. Should I do it?

thanks.

Hi,

I have a SNow Leopard installation working fine on my Sata HD.

I followed the usb guide to install Lion on an external HardDisk connected via USB and Lion starts perfectly.

So I Used the same procedure to install Lion on the Hard disk where Snow Leopard was installed. It installs, but when I try to boot starting from the usb stick it stops to "Still waiting for root device"..

The setting is of Sata as Ahci..

what should I do?

thanks

OK, I now have a working LION starting from HD without USB Stick.

I followed the USB Stick Installation procedure and then the elviejo suggestions in Post #1124.

I deleted the DSDT.aml file and did not replace with any other...I am running without DSDT.aml and I don't know How to compile it. I came from SL and also in SL I did coudl not compile any good DSDT file.

On Board audio is not working (do I need a good DSDT file to have on board audio?)

Moreover Software Update suggest and update on LION DP4. Should I do it?

thanks.

Yes, in order to have audio without using voodooHDA who is very buggy and ethernet, you need a working DSDT, think of it as the way you tell the OS the hardware you computer have and how the system can interact whit it, you can build one from scratch, or you can adapt one and modify it to suit your hardware, the best option is to build yours from scratch, if you take your time to read this tread you can find both, the way to make one by yourself and templates to do so. You can update without worry. People, the DSDT is an imperative to have a good working OS. :thumbsdown_anim:

Yes, in order to have audio without using voodooHDA who is very buggy and ethernet, you need a working DSDT, think of it as the way you tell the OS the hardware you computer have and how the system can interact whit it, you can build one from scratch, or you can adapt one and modify it to suit your hardware, the best option is to build yours from scratch, if you take your time to read this tread you can find both, the way to make one by yourself and templates to do so. You can update without worry. People, the DSDT is an imperative to have a good working OS. :P

Unfortunately, compiling a DSDT requires programmer's skill. Lion refuses to boot using the dsdt I had working in Snow Leopard. I really don't know the language of what is written on the dsdt.

Unfortunately, compiling a DSDT requires programmer's skill. Lion refuses to boot using the dsdt I had working in Snow Leopard. I really don't know the language of what is written on the dsdt.

No, you don't need programming skills, go back and reread this tread, you are going to find the instructions to make one, it's going to be a challenge and you need to probe and try several times, but if you persevere and don't give up in the end you can make it, also this challenge is going to hone your skills for the future, you can ask for help and I'm sure somebody will help you, but you must try to do things by yourself and you will be gratified when you accomplish your goals, one advise, try to make one who work in snow leopard first, when you have that one working 100%, or close, then use that one in Lion. Good luck. :P

ok guys, I'll try to create my own dsdt....

..first question...the DSDT Auto-Patcher what exactly does?

It creates the dsdt and patch it also for graphic card (mine is Geforce 8500gt 1G)?

I also have a PCI Firewire card, does the DSDT Auto-Patcher works for it?

thanks

ok guys, I'll try to create my own dsdt....

..first question...the DSDT Auto-Patcher what exactly does?

It creates the dsdt and patch it also for graphic card (mine is Geforce 8500gt 1G)?

I also have a PCI Firewire card, does the DSDT Auto-Patcher works for it?

thanks

You better left the graphics card out of the DSDT, try to use string properties on com.apple.Boot.plist or a loader like NVEnabler, it patches your firewire, audio, network card, usb ports ( very important, because sleep and other functions depend on it), it gives proper information about the hardware in your computer to the OS, so it can work properly; it's difficult, time consuming and frustrating, but, is the best shot you can have to a 100% working Mac on this time. DSDT Auto patcher give you the foundation to work. Attached is a screenshot of my system.post-35379-1308604613_thumb.png :(

hey guys,

I installed the developer preview update 1 on my Lion system. Now I get a kernel panic because of the voodooHDA.kext. When I remove this kext the system boots normal but I don't have sound. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?

My old snow leo dsdt doesn't work with Lion. The system getting stuck at "[ PCI configuration begin ]".

I also tried elviejo dsdt. The system boots without problem but i still have no sound.

@elviejo can you please post the link how you created your dsdt file.

hey guys,

I installed the developer preview update 1 on my Lion system. Now I get a kernel panic because of the voodooHDA.kext. When I remove this kext the system boots normal but I don't have sound. Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?

My old snow leo dsdt doesn't work with Lion. The system getting stuck at "[ PCI configuration begin ]".

I also tried elviejo dsdt. The system boots without problem but i still have no sound.

@elviejo can you please post the link how you created your dsdt file.

Read this tread, all the information you need to make a DSDT is in it. If you use my DSDT ( I hope you adapted it for your CPU, if not you can fry it ) and use the kexts I posted you must have audio, the only thing I left out was the extensions.mkext and the audio works perfectly. Attached is everything you need.Asus_P5K_VM_Audio_kext_and_Extra_folder_for_Lion.zip. Good Luck. ;)

P.S. Use this chameleon.Chameleon_2_RC5_VS.dmg

I would be glad if someone could make a manual of principles of how the dsdt is working. And how to patch the dsdt extracted, every section what refers at. I tried to read all the thread, 1138 posts and I didn't understand anything about the dsdt. All I understood is I have to know the motherboard like the fabricant does, IRQ's, frequences, etc. And all means programming language. I don't need sleep and wake, all I need is to get my Mac AppStore to work. I cannot get free apps or to update mine, because it does not recognize my account. Now even in 10.6.8. I think this is the death of Hackintosh. You can install the OS but you cannot communicate with the Appstore.

If you you stuck at "[ PCI configuration begin ]" with your old dsdt you can repair this with BlackCH tutorial.

-Boot in lion without dsdt.

-Extract the system dsdt with DSDTSE.

-Search for “OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory....” in this dsdt.

-Copy the two hex numbers after systemmemory and paste them in your old snow leo dsdt (you can also open it with dsdtse). now you have to compile this dsdt and copy it to extra folder.

Sound should work now. If not copy the applehda.kext and the ionetworkingfamily.kext (from elviejo) in System/library/extensions and use the Kext Utility (from elviejo) to patch the permissions.

This should solve the sound/dsdt problem.

Sorry for my bad english :wacko: but I hope I could help you.

One more piece to the puzzle, for all the people who have no auto sleep working and was depending on PleaseSleep, ( incompatible with Lion at the moment ), or other patches that don't work in Lion, you can use this app modified to work in Lion.Narcolepsy.app.zip

P.S. I forgot, put the app in the application folder and run it, ( it runs in the background, no icons in the dock or menubar ) go to System Properties>user accounts>login items and add it so it runs every time you log in.

All I could do now is to fck up my Cameleon. I shows only text mode, even I set it to show GUI, but I cannot type arguments like -v, -s, -x because the screen get stuck if I type - only, so I have to press the "reset" button.

That was happened a week ago, Even worse now, I cannot boot because it gets stuck at the gray screen (notice, I cannot boot in verbose mode (cannot type -v) because the Chameleon is messed up) and no disk activity.

I have a Leo4all flashdrive modded for Hackintosh, tried to delete the boot file to can reinstall Chameleon, but the Chameleon installer doesnt want to work on that environment. Well, I got the gray screen with the apple logo even after I deleted the "boot" file from the root of the disk. It is weird because I should get a message like: Missing operating system. I mention I didn't use the EFI partition for installing Chameleon. I am at work now and I made a Lion Installer on a flashdrive and I try to boot using its Chameleon. If you have an idea to help me, it will be welcome.

All I could do now is to fck up my Cameleon. I shows only text mode, even I set it to show GUI, but I cannot type arguments like -v, -s, -x because the screen get stuck if I type - only, so I have to press the "reset" button.

That was happened a week ago, Even worse now, I cannot boot because it gets stuck at the gray screen (notice, I cannot boot in verbose mode (cannot type -v) because the Chameleon is messed up) and no disk activity.

I have a Leo4all flashdrive modded for Hackintosh, tried to delete the boot file to can reinstall Chameleon, but the Chameleon installer doesnt want to work on that environment. Well, I got the gray screen with the apple logo even after I deleted the "boot" file from the root of the disk. It is weird because I should get a message like: Missing operating system. I mention I didn't use the EFI partition for installing Chameleon. I am at work now and I made a Lion Installer on a flashdrive and I try to boot using its Chameleon. If you have an idea to help me, it will be welcome.

I think your installation is very messed up, probably your best option is a clean install, in my next free day I'm going to try to make a guide for the installation of Lion let's see if that can help you. :(

I am afraid it is something hardware. I reinstalled on clean a Snow Leopard now, and this is the same. I get stuck at the line: " executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-540.1~34)."

I can get on the desktop if I boot with the Chameleon on the Lion Installation USB Flashdrive and if I delete any /Extra folder and any modded IONetworkingFamily.kext in S/L/E, but I have no network.

I have it installed on a 1T HDD, and I have lot of data there. Is it a method of removing Chameleon only?

I am afraid it is something hardware. I reinstalled on clean a Snow Leopard now, and this is the same. I get stuck at the line: " executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-540.1~34)."

I can get on the desktop if I boot with the Chameleon on the Lion Installation USB Flashdrive and if I delete any /Extra folder and any modded IONetworkingFamily.kext in S/L/E, but I have no network.

I have it installed on a 1T HDD, and I have lot of data there. Is it a method of removing Chameleon only?

If you can get to the desktop booting from the usb stick is not a hardware problem, something is botched in your installation, use this method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729 but instead of the generic files they provide use the ones I posted, on the dsdt problem use mine changing the values on the CPU part to accommodate the one you are using, before you use the one provided by me, you must made one by the method provided in the guide to get the values in:OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0xCFF8E064, 0xFF)

Field (BIOS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve) and replace 0xCFF8E064 in mine with the ones you got in the fresh made dsdt. After that replace the AppleHDA and the IONetworkingFamily kekts. By the way you can use the EFI method to install chameleon and the Extra folder ( Chameleon must be installed manually ), that way, if you have any problem, you can modify the EFI partition without touching the OS partition. If you follow this exactly you must succeed, check for somebody in this tread who have the same CPU as yours to get the values you need for the CPU section on your dsdt, if you don't found one and you don't know how to get that information, use the generic you obtain in the fresh dsdt. Good luck and don't dismay, sooner or later we get you set. ;)

As promised a guide to install Lion on Asus P5K-VM:

GUIDE FOR INSTALLING LION ON ASUS P5K-VM

This guide take advantage of the work of Munky on EFI booting and the hard work of the Voodoo team on Chameleon, also rely heavily on DB1 and BlackCH aport to a 100% working P5K-VM and many others who spend a lot of time to iron the details, to all of them big Thanks.

Let start with the preparation of the things needed to a smooth experience.

1.- Guide to Lion installation with USB stick:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729 special thanks to MaLD0n.

2,- File pertinent to this board posted on:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=62111&view=findpost&p=1702267

Ok. let’s get started.

First you must decide where you are going to install Lion, you can do it on a new HDD, or on another partition in your current HDD, I, myself, prefer to use a new HDD. You must partition this HDD as Mac OS Extended Journaled and as Guid Partition Table.

Boot from the USB stick and follow the instructions in MaLD0n to install Lion, after the installation is done, extract a fresh DSDT and keep it for future needs then prepare the EFI partition as follow (fseven method ):

Check disk structure

Code:

diskutil list

If your HDD is disk0 go to the next step, and simply copy/paste the code. If it is disk1 or disk2... change code and edit the scripts to suite. Just remember to restore the scripts afterwards for future updates. If you are new to this, you should examine the scripts. It won't be long until you understand what all of that is doing.

Open terminal.

Run as root

Code:

sudo -s

enter password

Reformat EFI

Code:

newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

Mount EFI

Code:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Create file structure

Code:

mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Extensions

mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra/Themes

Load Chameleon.dmg and copy the folder “Manually” to your desktop.

Code:

cd /Users/xxx/Desktop/Manual\ Install

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

cp boot /Volumes/EFI

Where xxx is your username.

Load smbios.plist and Themes (note these are cham2 defaults, however, they can be customized)

Code:

cd ~/path to your Asus P5K-VM Audio kext and Extra Folder

cp -R smbios.plist Themes /Volumes/EFI/Extra

cp -R Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI

Unmount EFI

Code:

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

Load DSDT

cd ~/path to your Asus P5K-VM Audio kext and Extra Folder/Extra/DSDT

./update.sh

This is a crucial part to obtain a nearly 100% working Lion, The best option is to create your own DSDT from scratch in Snow Leopard and be sure is working without flaws, in case you don’t have one you can use the one provided as long as you modified the CPU section to accommodate the one you are using ( failing to do so can fry your CPU, keep that very present ) also you must change your BIOS memory section with the values for your Mobo, or you can lose the sleep function. Search for “OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory....” and replace my values with yours obtained in the fresh DSDT we made at the start.

Load kexts

cd ~/path to your Asus P5K-VM Audio kext and Extra Folder/Extra/Extensions

./update.sh

Copy boot.plist over

Code:

cd ~/path to your Asus P5K-VM Audio kext and Extra Folder/Boot.plist

./update.sh

Flag this partition active

Code:

diskutil list

Take note of your disk structure

Code:

fdisk -e /dev/disk0 <- note that this must match your Lion installation

p

f 1

w

y

q

Its worth noting that an * denotes the active partition. In this instance, when properly set active you will see it next to your EFI partition after you enter the p command.

Making Audio and Network work:

Using Kext Utility replace AppleHDA and IONetworkingFamily with the ones provided, check if the replacement was succcesful, sometimes Kext Utility don’t copy the new one, if that is the case use kext helper to copy them and rerun Kext Utility to fix permissions. Reboot and you must have an almost 100% Lion running.

Edit: If you are experiencing Bios reset on reboot, replace AppleRTC with this:AppleRTC.kext.zip

Hey elviejo,

Thank you for all of your effort. My CPU is the same with yours, so I had nothing to patch. I finally got it working 100%. I am deeply indebted to you. All is good now. I am just afraid when Apple will launch the final version of Lion to not change something drastically LOL.

Hey elviejo,

Thank you for all of your effort. My CPU is the same with yours, so I had nothing to patch. I finally got it working 100%. I am deeply indebted to you. All is good now. I am just afraid when Apple will launch the final version of Lion to not change something drastically LOL.

Glad you finally solved the problems, don't be afraid, we always will find the way with the support of this incredibly community. :gun:

I installed Lion GM and it works flawlessly. The network worked well, not needed to replace the IONetworkingFamily.kext. All I had to do was to replace the AppleHda.kext with the one sent to me by Elviejo. The installation was identically like in the DP4.