Bugs of 10.5

damasta

69 posts in this topic

Bugs I found in 9a466 (macbook 1.83GHz core duo, 2GB RAM):

Blue tooth pairing with my cell phone didn't work. Hanged system preferences so badly that I couldn't kill it even from the command line. I had to press the power button to shut down.

I managed to pair my phone using istumbler. However "missing sync for windows mobile" which syncs the contacts, mail, to do list, music, files, etc did not work (it started fine but did not sync).

Mail hanged also a couple of times. I could not kill it from activity monitor or command line either.

Google earth wasn't working.

Papers 1.1 showed as unregistered and hanged when tried to re-register.

My Garmin GPS did connect to Garmin Training Center and transfered the last workout. However, training center crashed after that. After I restarted it i noticed the data was transfered.

I see pictures above in this thread of frontrow but I could not start that. The apple remote only works with keynote. No frontrow started from the remote.

iAlertu didn't seem to work properly either.

Had also issues with Adium in a second user hanging when asking me if i am sure I want to make it the default messenger. However, the buttons in the dialog were all inactive and then was crashing.

Safari crashed consistently when right clicking or attempting to log into forums like this one, etc.

Bookends would crash when started; not usable.

Canon Image browser would hang not starting.

Gimp would crash at start; not usable.

Onyx won't work with Leopard (understandable).

Pac the man X would crash on start.

Activity monitor was not able to kill a dead app (not all the time; see above). This has happened consistently forcing me each time to powerdown from the powerbutton and powerup again. I found this the most annoying bug.

I have about 122 apps and most other apps worked fine. Many asked for the registration key again.

If I did not mention them here, they worked. Spaces worked fine for me.

Although looks pretty, and coverflow and quicklook in finder seem pretty functional, I decided to not use it on my system as a main OS.

Most of what you've listed aren't Leopard bugs. They're programs written for an older OS not working on a new one. If every time Apple came out with an upgraded OS they had to keep support for the older apps... well, we'd be using Windows.

The bluetooth issue is probably the only real bug you've listed, and that's been talked about quite a bit since the beta leaked.

"I see pictures above in this thread of frontrow but I could not start that. The apple remote only works with keynote. No frontrow started from the remote."

Did you do an UPGRADE to Leopard by any chance? Because you're not supposed to.

In conclusion: Learn Things.

Most of what you've listed aren't Leopard bugs. They're programs written for an older OS not working on a new one. If every time Apple came out with an upgraded OS they had to keep support for the older apps... well, we'd be using Windows.

The bluetooth issue is probably the only real bug you've listed, and that's been talked about quite a bit since the beta leaked.

"I see pictures above in this thread of frontrow but I could not start that. The apple remote only works with keynote. No frontrow started from the remote."

Did you do an UPGRADE to Leopard by any chance? Because you're not supposed to.

In conclusion: Learn Things.

No, I did not do an upgrade to leopard. I just installed it fresh and transfered my apps. I agree with you about the apps. Unfortunately I am relying on all those apps to do my everyday tasks. And dude, nobody knows everything, not even apple.

Perhaps, what I listed would better fit in "apps not compatible with leopard".

I reinstalled now leopard with bootcamp on a second partition. For some strange reason frontrow seems to work this time and i am connected to this forum with safari.

No, I did not do an upgrade to leopard. I just installed it fresh and transfered my apps. I agree with you about the apps. Unfortunately I am relying on all those apps to do my everyday tasks. And dude, nobody knows everything, not even apple.

Perhaps, what I listed would better fit in "apps not compatible with leopard".

I reinstalled now leopard with bootcamp on a second partition. For some strange reason frontrow seems to work this time and i am connected to this forum with safari.

I uninstalled adium (with appzapper) and then reinstalled it. It works now. Will try that with other software I use.

Changing display orientation (i tried only for 90 degrees) doesn't rotate correctly. Image appears squashed. I have a MacBook on an external display (lid closed).

In FrontRow, video preview is not available, and it needs up to a minute to load the movie which is encoded by perian (it's probably perians fault)

Front Row crashed on me, I could move the mouse but nothing else. No keyboard commands were working, had to power down. This might be because I don't have iPhoto on this partition yet... Doh.

Internet Connect is missing an icon - clicking on it does nothing. Clicking on the phone icon (modem?) also does nothing.

Photo Booth locks up on me when trying to do backdrops on a MacBook. It's glitchy with the other effects too.

Emptying the trash doesn't work sometimes. It will play the sound, close the window, etc but not actually empty anything. I usually have to do it two or three times for it to work.

My iMac and Mac Mini on the network show up as just an Apple Cinema Display and not their actual computers... Perhaps this is cause they are both running Tiger? Dunno.

When clicking on the disclosure triangle for the Preview part of Get Info window, the bottom part of the icon sticks out for a second or two before hiding.

Dock Icon updating is messed up, though it could be an Adium-specific problem... you know how the icon flashes red when you get an instant message, well that is really delayed in Leopard and very slow/laggy. The duck icon doesn't flap his wings either..

Dock Icon updating is messed up, though it could be an Adium-specific problem... you know how the icon flashes red when you get an instant message, well that is really delayed in Leopard and very slow/laggy. The duck icon doesn't flap his wings either..

Noticed this too, but it also nicely fades from the "message received" to the "non new messages status".

Connecting to SMB shares seems to be hit or miss with this build. From what I can tell, it only wants to work if you use the IP address, I couldn't get it to connect correctly using the network name. Also, this build has issues connecting to Windows Vista SMB shares, neither the IP address or Network Name would work for me. Win XP and Linux SMB shares worked fine if you used the IP address.

:S

I'm crying for Apple disaster....

MacOS X never was so badly as it is going now.

I think that if Apple never switched from PowerPC to Intel, it will be good!

Its a beta.... last time I checked, bugs in a beta != disaster.

I have time machine working. I had to format my external drive to do it.. but it works. Its kind of a waste of a drive. Anyway I don't really want everything I delete being saved.

I wonder why you had to format your external in order to use Time Machine... I just used my external hard drive with everything in it and worked fine. Time Machine backsup in a dedicated folder so none of your files are going anywhere.

I have time machine working. I had to format my external drive to do it.. but it works. Its kind of a waste of a drive. Anyway I don't really want everything I delete being saved.

You can a) tell Time Machine not to backup particular folders and b ) tell Time Machine to encrypt your backups so nobody can access them.

Somebody experienced the same as me, installed leopard on two different macs (MBP C2D and Imac 20 C2D) Well it aint working connection tru network. Not by apple+k and enter the IP, the machines are neither listed in network list.

Too bad, think that is what makes me drop back to tiger. Even if i dont want to.

I thought with all these cool graphics and features apple added to it may be slower than tiger, but on my 1st generation macbook it seems faster than 10.4.10. However, it's still a little rough around the edges, expected for a beta. I am sure apple will take care of the bugs by october. Where is the firewall configuration in network? Did you guys noticed it's missing?

I am experiencing problems with random crashes of the black box of death. "please press the powerbutton untill the ... bla bla bla..."

Anyone got a quickfix for that? i have turned off bluetooth, since some people having issues with keyboards and mobile phones. still not crashed (1 hour later and no crash yet)

I am experiencing problems with random crashes of the black box of death. "please press the powerbutton untill the ... bla bla bla..."

Anyone got a quickfix for that? i have turned off bluetooth, since some people having issues with keyboards and mobile phones. still not crashed (1 hour later and no crash yet)

mine never crashed with the black screen of death. i am not using any bluetooth devices though.

Somebody experienced the same as me, installed leopard on two different macs (MBP C2D and Imac 20 C2D) Well it aint working connection tru network. Not by apple+k and enter the IP, the machines are neither listed in network list.

Too bad, think that is what makes me drop back to tiger. Even if i dont want to.

bonjour doesn't work either. I guess the networking has some issues.

Only issue I seem to be having is that when I close my macbook pro lid, it doesn't sleep. The status light stays solid, and if I open the lid up nothing happens Im just on a blank screen and nothing brings it back and i have to hold power till it shuts down then reboot. Anyone else having this issue or am I alone lol. I think I am going to wipe it and reinstall one more time I don't have any files that aren't backed up yet.

it seems to me that a lot of these problems are caused by the way networking has been redone in Leopard. since all traffic is now being routed through kernel_task (at least, according to Little Snitch), I expect there was at least some (if not a significant amount) of restructuring done to the networking components in OSX. the problems with bonjour, mail, safari, and other network-intensive programs may be solved as the networking aspects are smoothed out.

Only issue I seem to be having is that when I close my macbook pro lid, it doesn't sleep. The status light stays solid, and if I open the lid up nothing happens Im just on a blank screen and nothing brings it back and i have to hold power till it shuts down then reboot. Anyone else having this issue or am I alone lol. I think I am going to wipe it and reinstall one more time I don't have any files that aren't backed up yet.

had the same problem when I did the upgrade install, tried everything to fix it, ended up just doing a clean erase and install. This beta is not as far along as previous releases, I was reading a story on digg that outlined the road map for Leopard and it appears that they are still adding features until the end of Aug. when they bring out the final release candidate for testing. There is supposed to be a new build at the beginning of July and another at the beginning of Aug. The one in July is suppose to fix a majority of the problems from the 9A466 build.

Found one more bug so far, the mail. after i started my mail and added my two accounts, everything seemed to work nicely, but when i tried to ad a folder to store my wokrmail in, the client stopped responding, and not even after a force quit the app acted as it was supposed to, bringing only a greyed out version of it on my desktop. gonna reboot and see if that helps.

the animations of expose, spaces, dashboard, dock magnification are choppy - like when quartz, etc. are turned off, but they are enabled, i checked.

while animations in quicklook, cover flow are smooth.

also, when switching windows it's slow and unpleasant, like it waits to draw the new top of the window.

any solution to this? it's the reason i prefer tiger...

on macbook pro

Yep - the Bug/Known Issue with Final Cut - removing effects and corrupted video (ATI cards) - is real - and it sucks :-(

Work around - quickly zoom in/out on the canvas and it will redraw properly (until you add remove/effects)

Grrrrrrr.

I had the same problem, with this along with some very strange window position, grapics and iSight issues I had to restore to 10.4