its on the bay

evanrodge

210 posts in this topic

Found this instruction on the bay for making a Single Layer DVD install disc:

"INSTALLATION:

1. Open the Leopard installation DVD using Disk Utility.

2. Using the Disk Utility, create a new dual layer (8.5GB) sparse image called leopard (actual filename will be leopard.sparseimage) and mount it.

3. Restore the Leopard installation DVD to the mounted leopard.sparseimage (not the image file.)

4. Open the mounted leopard.sparseimage with Finder, and delete the XCodeTools directory.

5. Unmount the mounted leopard.sparseimage.

6. Using the Disk Utility, create a new single layer (4.4GB) spare image called boot (actual filename will be boot.sparseimage) and mount it.

7. Restore the leopard.sparseimage image file to the mounted boot.sparseimage (not the image file.)

8. Unmount the mounted boot.sparseimage.

9. Burn the boot.sparseimage to your single layer DVD media.

Booting from this DVD works, but takes a long time."

Found this instruction on the bay for Single Layer DVD drives:

"INSTALLATION:

1. Open the Leopard installation DVD using Disk Utility.

2. Using the Disk Utility, create a new dual layer (8.5GB) sparse image called leopard (actual filename will be leopard.sparseimage) and mount it.

3. Restore the Leopard installation DVD to the mounted leopard.sparseimage (not the image file.)

4. Open the mounted leopard.sparseimage with Finder, and delete the XCodeTools directory.

5. Unmount the mounted leopard.sparseimage.

6. Using the Disk Utility, create a new single layer (4.4GB) spare image called boot (actual filename will be boot.sparseimage) and mount it.

7. Restore the leopard.sparseimage image file to the mounted boot.sparseimage (not the image file.)

8. Unmount the mounted boot.sparseimage.

9. Burn the boot.sparseimage to your single layer DVD media.

Booting from this DVD works, but takes a long time."

I'm just going to use bootcamp, create partition just big enough for the cd, create a compressed backup so I can use BC to remove it, and restore image to partition.

Huong, that seems to be an instruction to make dual layer leopard installation disk into single layer leopard installation disk by removing the xcode (which takes up a lot of space)

Right, I've edited my description to make it clear that it's for making a Single Layer DVD install disc. I want to try out Leopard but don't want to waste a double layer DVD for a beta so the instructions might be useful for people who don't want to burn Leopard on a DL-DVD.

I don't think anyone has ever been targeted by apple for downloading an OS, just distributing them. Feel free to prove me wrong.

EDIT: and for the ninjas reading this thread right now, I have an official mac, and I am going to buy Leopard in the fall, what more do you want from me!? :P

:P-->

QUOTE(matt b @ Jun 21 2007, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it could be said that by downloading through bittorrent, you ARE distributing

Hmm, a brand new member warning me about distributing...? Sounds a little..ninja like?

I wish I could talk to the person orchestrating this lockdown. I want this OS so that that I can play with it. I have no problem with buying the OS outright, but I want to play with it now. I would even pay to play with it right now. I want the people at apple to know that I have no intention of stealing their OS, I just want to taste the cookiedough before it goes into the oven :(

heh well I guess there's no way to prove to you that I'm not a ninja, so you're just gonna have to trust me on that.

one of my good friends (who has the same ISP as me) has been subpoenaed for a torrent movie download before, so I don't think I'm gonna take a chance at avoiding the iNinjas.

I'm a real indie dev and want to toy with this as much as anyone else, but I'm not gonna chance torrent. If I'm gonna torrent something, I'm gonna share it, so it's definitely not gonna happen this time...

i'm getting "the new big cat" and the other 9A466, both running at the same time. I started the 9A466 one and now I'm focusing on "the new big cat." I had 0.4% on the original 9A466 and then I copied the file so that I could start off "the new big cat" on 0.4%. The torrent hash is different, would it mess up the file if I move the the files around?