Safari 3 (Now Windows compatible)...

75 posts in this topic

The safari 3 beta is very, very fast... The fastest by now.

Yes it's blazingly fast! We're on dial-up and it feels more like it's broadband :D Pages load in seconds instead of minutes. It's amazing how much more you enjoy the Internet when you don't have to wait for pages to load :star_smile:

Runs perfectly fine for me on Vista and loads as fast as IE7/FF but..

I'd more less surprised if they announced they were selling MacOS stand-alone for PCs or that Steve Jobs announced he would stop being a lying whore. :D

It's working mostly fine for me on Vista but it looks completely ugly/out of place. :star_smile:

Some questions:

- Where is the Home button ?

- Can I turn off the Bookmarks bar like I can in FF ?

- Is there an equivalent to the ctrl+enter shortcut which adds www. and .com to whatever is in the address bar ?

- Why don't the extra buttons on my mouse work like they do in FF, IE7 and other apps ?

- Is there a way to speed up scrolling or turn on some smooth scrolling type thing ?

Anyway, I'm going to continue using FF, it looks better, has extensions, etc.. actually, IE7 also looks better, has extensions and so on too. :o

Apple is not going to make an OS X app look same/better and have equal functionalities under Windows, and Microsoft is not going to make a Windows app look same/better and have equal functionalities under OS X, thats a fact. You can't expect Safari 3 too look just as good under Windows like it does on OS X. The core frameworks are different, for one thing.

Most of the apps on Windows look out of place. Microsoft's user interface guidelines are rarely ever followed by any windows developer. Safari 3 under Windows doesnt look any more out of place than iTunes under windows does.

Unlike people on here, on another forum they helped me with some of my questions so the bookmark bar is turned off, the home button is there and so on but there are still some major things that will keep FF/IE7/Opera as my preferred browsers.

- I like how searching works/looks on sites, it looks really nice and is a lot better than how FF/IE7 handle it.

- It loads Digg pages with hundreds of comments so much faster/better than FF which is depressing and in FF it causes the browser to hang/freak out. Edit: It's also way better than IE7 in loading 'big' pages.

Oh shut up EFI.

Apple is not going to make an OS X app look same/better and have equal functionalities under Windows

So you're saying that Steve Jobs lied today? According to him:

"Safari will sport the same features regardless of what platform it appears on. Apple CEO Steve Jobs told Worldwide Developers Conference attendees that the Windows version of Safari 3 has the same technology as the Leopard edition, including built-in Google and Yahoo search capabilities"

Unlike people on here, on another forum they helped me with some of my questions so the bookmark bar is turned off, the home button is there and so on

Nothing against you, I suppose. There are tons of questions which remain unanswered.

"Safari will sport the same features regardless of what platform it appears on. Apple CEO Steve Jobs told Worldwide Developers Conference attendees that the Windows version of Safari 3 has the same technology as the Leopard edition, including built-in Google and Yahoo search capabilities"

Hahah.
Nothing against you, I suppose. There are tons of questions which remain unanswered.
Nah, on here I get a lot of rubbish if I ask genuine questions. Actually, basically anything I say gets met with the same unneeded BS from the same people on here.

Safari its a little sample for the fanboys who want to see some of the mac interface on a pc, but betwen you and me we all know that sucks when you compare it with almost any browser on the net.

Sorry guys ,its just that Safari is not even near to be a good browser ,its like alpha or beta and im talking of the mac version of it.

Safari its a little sample for the fanboys who want to see some of the mac interface on a pc, but betwen you and me we all know that sucks when you compare it with almost any browser on the net.

Sorry guys ,its just that Safari is not even near to be a good browser ,its like alpha or beta and im talking of the mac version of it.

It is just improving. Don't tell me that IE 6 was "even near to be a good browser". And personally I don't find IE 7 a lot better.

In any case I use Firefox across the board.

No matter how much i smoke i cant see Safari as a good browser ...so tell me what are you drinking ?

to alessandro17: off course i wasnt talking about Iexplorer that sucks even more.

PS: I knew what was comming when i made the first post on this topic, its just Safari is not good enought for this days.I mean even Netscape 6 is better than Safari and its like 6 years old .

Oh shut up EFI.

Real mature :) , considering my post had a general motive to it. I was not aiming that at you. Regardless, what I said was the truth, and you know it.

What I meant was features OR looks, my mistake. One or the other. So what I meant to say was if it has the featuers...it will not have the looks, and if it has the looks, it will not have the features...atleast to the same degree as the competing OS (OS X and Windows). It perhaps has the same features as on OS X, but it definately does not look the same as Safari on OS X. :hysterical:

About brushed metal: Safari 3's GUI styles are actually located within the app itself, or at least I think. Regardless of what skin you apply in Shapeshifter, Safari will look the same. I also noticed Apple "Pro apps," such as Aperture and Final Cut, do this. I'm convinced it's all self-contained within the app.

When I load up Safari through the terminal, I get this:

"Safari[509]: ShapeShifter could not initialize"

Perhaps that means Safari is stopping Shapeshifter from loading the theme, and so is therefore reverting back to the default Aqua...?