(Almost) Hidden Secrets of OS X

Swad

135 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Click on a open window (the top by the close buttons) and then hold it. Press F12 to activate widgets and you can move that window around the screen until you release it. Don't know what use it has, but it does that.

• 1 month later...

Didn't read through all the hints so apologies if this is a dup.

Hold down the Apple/Command Key while clicking and dragging a window in the background allows you to move the window without bringing it to the front.

This also works with many (not all) standard controls. The scroll bar and resize corner for example.

• 1 month later...

ive learned a lot here... now can i call myself a "mac expert"? jejejeje

another question... when im on finder, how can access the sidebar and the toolbar or titlebar without using mouse, just like "tabbing" on windows, how can i do it on mac os x?

ive learned a lot here... now can i call myself a "mac expert"? jejejeje

another question... when im on finder, how can access the sidebar and the toolbar or titlebar without using mouse, just like "tabbing" on windows, how can i do it on mac os x?

You can cycle through active applications by pressing Apple and Tab.

You can also enable tabbing in dialog windows by going to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts and enabling Full Keyboard Access on All Controls. Then in windows where you have a blue button as default, you can press Tab to move the selection around (a light blue outline around the selection) and choose that button by hitting the spacebar.

Now you are an expert. ;)

=)

to lighten up things or explain what im bragging about a it further, heres a photo...

how to access the side panel, toolbar or searchbar without using mouse? like tab does in Windows (i know tabbing can be done in apple but i can do it only in windows & menu panels)

post-53098-1167973738_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
anyone want to answer? it it really not possible? im tracking this thread every hour since 2 ddays but it seems nothings replying...

have a look here and see if there is anything that may do what you want.

Full keyboard access only works with some apps, depends on the api used and finder isnt one of them, works ok in safari though.

sorry i cant be of more help.

So you know those fancy apps that take pics of individual windows? Useless, IT IS BUILT IN TO OS X! You need to hold SHIFT-APPLE-4 to bring up a picture mode where you select the area where you want to take, then press THE SPACE BAR. You can now select the window you want to take a picture of.

you can have a key combination for shutting down. go in to system preferences, click on keyboard in keyboard and mouse. click add a new shortcut button. enter "Finder" for application and Shut Down for the item menu. Choose the key combination. it will work in any app.

you can have a key combination for shutting down. go in to system preferences, click on keyboard in keyboard and mouse. click add a new shortcut button. enter "Finder" for application and Shut Down for the item menu. Choose the key combination. it will work in any app.

You don't need to do that, it already exists.

You can press CTRL Option Apple and Eject at the same time to immediately shut down.

Apple Option Eject will immediatly sleep

CTRL Eject prompts with the shutdown choices.

=)

For ex-Windows users - things they might not expect that us Mac peeps take for granted:

You drag and drop applications to install (generally, drop into Applications (even the shortcut in your finder window))

When alt-tabbing or using expose or doing anything else, you can be dragging items. So click to drag text/folder etc then alt-tab to the window you want and release once you've brought the window to the front.

When dragging a folder item, hold it over folders to delve into them, they'll open as you hover over each.

You can drag the dashboard off the dock and it will still work.

command-Space brings up spotlight.

Command-left/right takes to to End and Home respectively (this I find a little annoying, as I like home and end!)

• 2 weeks later...

Some of us know KVM’s. A little box attached to multiple computers so you can share keyboard, mouse, and screen with all those computers. Nice and it works.

If you want to use your keyboard and mouse for multiple computers, each having their own monitor, then Synergy2 might come in handy. I use my maindesktop which has Vista and Mac OS X running, a laptop with Mac OS X (Macbook Pro), a Windows 2000 server, and a Linux box. And with all of them I can share my one and only keyboard and mouse and it works great.

The missing link for the Mac is the GUI, and that’s where you’d like to install SynergyKM. This is all you need for a Mac client or server. Works great!

It’s free: http://software.landryhetu.com/synergy/