Anyone using their Hackintosh only full time?

ecotopian

43 posts in this topic

Was curious if people have found OSX x86 stable enough to use as their only OS (Have quit using Windows altogether) - specifically - AMD users?

I'm looking at the idea of using it to generate income to get myself a full blown Mac but have some reservations with dumping Windows. I can't afford to go legit MAC right now but want to use it - but only if it is really stable as I can't afford to lose any work I do. The apps I would use would be for video and audio editing (FCP, Logic Express, Garageband, Photoshop, Dreamweaver).

TIA,

I've been a Mac user since '89 and have been using the Mac OS as my primary OS from System 7 through to 10. As for my Hackintosh, well naturally I use it full time as x86 is the future and my current PPC hardware is starting to show its age - especially with games: x86 trounces PPC. One day I'll be able to afford an Intel Mac variant, but until then this machine will have to suffice.

Once you go Mac, you don't go back :)

I've been running a full time Hackintosh at home now since for first Marklar release (thank you Intel 945GNT may you rest in peace). Now that my lappy only runs OSX, I only wish the company I work for would simply let me virtualize my desktop so I could run Mac there as well.

Was curious if people have found OSX x86 stable enough to use as their only OS (Have quit using Windows altogether) - specifically - AMD users?

I'm looking at the idea of using it to generate income to get myself a full blown Mac but have some reservations with dumping Windows. I can't afford to go legit MAC right now but want to use it - but only if it is really stable as I can't afford to lose any work I do. The apps I would use would be for video and audio editing (FCP, Logic Express, Garageband, Photoshop, Dreamweaver).

TIA,

Same here....

hackintosh is my major system. ^ ^

I've been using my hackintosh full time for about two months now, except I didn't do it to replace Windows. I did it to replace my PowerBook.

Been using hackintosh for 1 1/2 years now. I still use windows. My hackintosh runs better then some real intel macs. And STABLE.

i've been using as my fulltime os since september 2005. That's amazing, isn't it? I ran linux on a g3 ibook prior to that.

cheers to os x. can't wait for 10.5 to properly manage my 4 cores. =D

. . my fulltime working box is a hacintosh [intel C2D & a 1920x1200 LCD with full acceleration].

Switched from MS a few years ago to Linux [openSUSE after Gentoo] on dual-socket Opteron workstations, then built a P5WDH-based hacintosh specifically to see if it was 24/7 usable.

Strongly recommend going C2D on an i975X: makes life simpler [as does using an Apple keyboard, esp. if you use a non-US 'English' layout].

Only hassle I have for true 24/7 production use is that autoshutdown [temp-triggered from the OS] doesn't work; & that powersaving/sleep/hibernation & so on either don't work or are very much work-in-progress.

I'm running OSx86 since about a year now, with stability. Period. Although I use OS X for Final Cut Pro 2 & Logic Express, I still rely on Windows for Maya, 3DS Max & a couple of other stuff. Not because OS X can't run it but because Windows runs it better.

If your hardware is compatible then osx86 is just as good, if not better, than a real mac. There are certain limitations, like not being able to put it to sleep, and youll be at the mercy of your onboard motherboard sound which usually is not that great (especially for recording). If you use garage band then it may be wise to get a USB soundblaster, garageband can behave very erratically if the onboard sound is cheap.

I switched my Dell 4600 to Mac OSx86 about 4 months ago, and absolutely love it. I triple booted Ubuntu and Windows XP, but to tell you the truth haven't booted Windows in weeks, and only really put Ubuntu on to try out Beryl (which is super cool). My #1 OS is OSx86. I sincerely believe that if ANY WINDOWS USER tried OS X seriously for a few weeks they would switch.

:D Saving up for the Macbook mini hopefully coming out with Leopard... :thumbsup_anim:

Hi BlueDigitalMedia:

I bought and built my OSx86 miniPC based on OSx86Project's Hardware Wiki for 10.4.6 last summer. I have been using as my Primary OS for about one year. I do have dual-boot with Windows XP (for certain games and work) but otherwise use Mac OS X for everything else. Primary uses are e-mail (Thunderbird), web surfing (Firefox), learning to play guitar (YouTube), Music (iTunes 7), some games and office documents (AbiWord and NeoOffice).

This year, I even did my taxes using TurboTax using Mac OS X (CD-ROM supports Windows and Mac). I save most of my documents and media on FAT32 Partition so I can access from Windows or Mac.

--danyel :)

OSx86 is my only OS since 10.4.5. All works fine except sleep function and sata. Very stable. Was a long time Slackware Linux user until I bought my daughter a B&W G3 at a garage sale. Hooked. Discovered this forum and never looked back. I LOVE my Hackintosh.

ASUS A8N-E

Athlon64 3200+

I've been using OS X as my only OS on both my home and workplace computers for about six months. Until last week ( when I had to shutdown my workplace computer to add a hard-disk) it stayed "up" for 43 days without even dropping a sweat, hehehe. Can't tell the same about my company's Windoze 2003 Server which, funny enough, have exactly the same hardware as my hackintosh workstation...

No more Windows for me, no sir. I'm now eagerly waiting for Leopard so I can put my four SATA HDs to good use! :-)

my fulltime laptop runs OSx86 95% of the time (I work as software developer and as music composer for television, I still boot linux sometimes for very specific tasks).

OSx86 runs very well on my dell laptop (an old inspiron 5150), faster than many real macs I've seen.

the only hassle for me is power management: when I need decent battery life I have to reboot and manually disable speedstep from bios (on my lap this forces the lowest available cpu freq).

ciao!

Another downfall I've found (though it's only been with CS3 so far), is some apps will attempt to read your hardware serials that apple usually has, when it can't find it the apps crash. Adobe CS3 Corporate versions do this. You must use a crack to get them to work correctly... sad, since I had a legit copy and still had to crack it.

I am SO glad to hear all this. I WANT to go OSX full-time. It's been a long road getting it running in the first place, and the only remaining hurdle is getting a video driver to work for Quadro FX 1400. Very frustrating, and it has been tempting to give up, especially as I had no significant complaints with XP (which was altered to look Mac already). Good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Another downfall I've found (though it's only been with CS3 so far), is some apps will attempt to read your hardware serials that apple usually has, when it can't find it the apps crash. Adobe CS3 Corporate versions do this. You must use a crack to get them to work correctly... sad, since I had a legit copy and still had to crack it.

Ya the only program I have found that does this is Marine Aquarium screensaver. What a waste of money that was and they won't even answer emails from a paying customer.

I've converted all the machines in my home to Hackintosh for now. At least until Apple releases an iMac with a better video card, or even better a powerful desktop unit that I can use my current 20" LCD with.