77 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best Pop-rock band ever: The Beatles

Best Glitter-rock band ever: Queen

Best Acid-rock band ever: Led Zeppelin

Best Industrial-rock band ever: RAMMSTEIN

Best space-rock band ever: Pink Floyd

Honorable Mention : AC/DC , Genesis, Yes, Black Sabbath, and on and on i could go

• 4 months later...
Best Pop-rock band ever: The Beatles

Best Glitter-rock band ever: Queen

Best Acid-rock band ever: Led Zeppelin

Best Industrial-rock band ever: RAMMSTEIN

Best space-rock band ever: Pink Floyd

Honorable Mention : AC/DC , Genesis, Yes, Black Sabbath, and on and on i could go

You forgot Shock Rock - And that is impossible to pick - KISS, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper, Rob Zombie

and

Grunge - Nirvana

I hate almost all the bands you guys named. Queen, Floyd, Zepplin, Chili Peppers, Beatles. I can't stand any of them. Although one band I hate more than all those, Rush.

As for my favorite band, I'd have to go with Minus The Bear or Bloc Party. I also second Lostprophets, they are amazing. Except Liberation Transmission, not a fan of that CD. I'm hoping their new CD will go back to Fake Sound and Start Something type sound.

• 2 weeks later...

How can you hate Rush!?

This is a very interesting topic. However like mentioned before, it's biased due to each persons indivudual taste in genre. Also mentioned before, each "Best Band" in each genre was posted.

Queen is good, I groove to them. RRCH are talented, but I don't think they are considered the elite.

I for one dislike any old British Rock (specifically Beatles and the Stones). I admit that their material was good for their time, and I agree, most of my fav. bands are influenced by them, I don't think they will cut it. - It's like saying an old car made in the 60s is better than a new car made in Y2K.

Along with that, artists like Hendrix (good for the time) will be unable to match the styles of guitarists such as: Yngwie Malmstein, Steve Via, Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Herman Li (Dragonforce)...And don't play the "style/genre" card for this because, face it. Each of these guitarists are fast, melodical, and very talented.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Im my opinion, there is no "Best band". Band and music is a very tricky subject, and some people (I for one) can get very very fumed and pissed when it comes to music discussions. :)

Bands:

60s: The Doors

70s mainstream: ABBA

80s mainstream: 1. R.E.M. 2. Fleetwood Mac

80s alt: 1. Joy Division. 2. The Cure 3. Siouxsie and the Banshees 4. The Church

90s alt: Siouxsie and the Banshees

2000s alt: Interpol

Mainstream rock: 1. The Doors 2. Led Zepplin

Industrial/bizarre: 1. Ministry 2. Skinny Puppy 3. KUKL

Electronic: 1. Depeche Mode 2. New Order 3. Kraftwerk 4. Bel Canto

Soloists:

jazz: 1. Billie Holiday 2. Ella Fitzgerald

70s: Nico

80s: 1. Kate Bush 2. Julee Cruise

90s: 1. Björk 2. Jane Siberry

2000s: Björk

• 2 weeks later...
I'm suprised noone has said The Beatles yet.... guess you have to be old or something to like them (which is weird cause im not...)

I truely beleive the beatles are a good band but are extreamly over rated, they produced the odd truely great song but most were average, both lyrically and musically. (didn't they also use a lot of samples/effects that pink floyd didn't use on dark side? when they were recording some of there psychodelic stuff at abby road)

as for that i would say Pink floyd are one of the best bands ever, when a album stays in the album chart for as long as dark side did/has (14 years) on the USA-based Billboard 200 album chart)it really says something.

Oh and not to forget some of there other work, animals, the wall etc etc....

or of curse 'Depeche Mode' are pretty good too :P

well "whats the best band" does not fit... it´s like asking "whats the best car". it always depends on the mood you are in. having a cool muscle car when you have to transport a piano makes the great muscle car inappropriate... i guess you know what i mean. so there are many really cool bands i read here in this thread.

i just want to add silversun pickups. i saw them in berlin (magnet club) , san francisco (fillmore) and offenbach (stadthalle). acutally they are my favourites, but it´sa like i said. it depends on my mood. desaparecidos, RHCP, muse, pumpkins, gogol bordello, kula shaker... i simply love good music. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some bands that are really good, can't say they are the best, but they are freaking good.

Radiohead (The Bends and OK Computer are a must listen, In Rainbows as well)

Muse (Ridiculous live concerts, really crazy, they made a song about space cowboys)

Porcupine Tree (Probably my favourite, Youtube "Trains" and "Blackest Eyes" Do it!)

The Strokes (Just really good upbeat)

Tool/A Perfect Circle (Gotta love the hard rock/industrial metal)

Jimi Hendrix (The opening riff of Voodoo Child makes me lol everytime)

John Mayer (Some of his stuff is amazing)