BEST BAND EVER

77 posts in this topic

Oh fellas, it's not enough to just say your band WHY??????????? WHY ARE THEY THE BEST!?!?

For instance: I might say (though I wouldn't because I have too many favorites) that Led Zeppelin is the best band ever. They scored some of the most popular hits ever recorded (Stairway to Heaven is the most played radio song), they stayed true to their music and their band-mates throughout the two decades that they played together, they changed the sound of rock forever becoming the pioneers of hard rock, metal and dozens of forms of blues, jazz and folk. Most importantly their music is powerful, complex and usually fairly understandable to many different people all around the world. They have a sound that is all their own made possible by a fantastic blues singer (Robert Plant) and a ridiculously talented guitarist (Jimmy Page), a sound that is nearly impossible to imitate and certainly impossible to improve on. Led Zeppelin is in the running for the best band ever, along with Radiohead, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink Floyd, Queen and Santana. All completely unique and important musicians.

What is the best band ever? Musically, performance-wise, influence and members... Who's the best???

WHY DO YOU THINK THEY'RE THE BEST!?!?!?!?

Pearl Jam - they led (some would argue with Nirvana) the "grunge rock"/"alternative rock" revolution that was a direct backlash to the hairbands of the late 1980's. The music talked about depressing topics - something that teenagers feeling angst could latch on to. The heavy guitar and percussion has influenced bands ever since. Look at all the bands of today that are PJ, Nirvana or Soundgarden clones.

If you've never seen Pearl Jam in concert - put it on your list of things to do. WOW do they put on a great show...

Ah Pearl Jam, masters of the deep and heavy modern-punk movement of the early 90's. Certainly in the same category of importance as either Nirvana or Soundgarden, though Pearl Jam is still playing and scoring hits. It is a musical form that spoke well to a new generation of lost people not ditting into the consumerist ideals of many of the other popular bands at the time. Repsect for their independence. However, Pearl Jam, it seems is either very loved or very not loved by people. The fans and the haters are both very divided, I will admit that I do not like Pearl Jam, however I understand their influence and respect their musicianship. It is a troublesome thing however for a band to be either very like or very not liked... maybe a more universal band for the best place. Pearl Jam is definitely in the running though....

Now the Red Hot Chili Peppers are also a band that turned away from the 80's pop and started their own sound of bluesy funk rock. A music that is crystal perfect for anybody who can catch a rhythm. With their hilarious concert acts and ability to stay current, The Red Hot Chili Peppers are easily on the list...

Nine Inch Nails.

Trent Reznor has evolved much in his musical career, he has matured with age, and is not afraid to experiment. He is pretty much a one man band in many respects which is pretty cool too. Also it seems as if hes one of the only mainstream artists that says "{censored} the RIAA". Also, I just think he puts out great music, I'm glad that it changes over time and one album might be gritty and angry and the next might sound poppy, very cool.

Ah Nine Inch Nails, I was waiting for that one... Certainly a band, becuase even though Trent does a lot of the work it would be impossible for him to do it all, that has been around for many years. They have definitely paid their dues and become popular for good reason. However, I feel like I should point out a possible flaw that however detrimental actually makes this band unique: NIN is not very accesable music. It is a complex type of music employing thousnads of different effects and sounds, unfortunately many people can't really make too much out of those sounds. NIN exists in a very narrow window of music these days that is industrial metal/electronic. For an average listener, the complexities of NIN might be lost, I mean let's face it, any person before the 80's would most likely not even understand that NIN is music. It is a risky evolution to make for Trent, but there is one rule in rock that needs to remain true: I don't give a {censored}. An artist has to be willing to make music for an audience, but an artist should never worry about making their music more 'accesible.' For reasons of complete bad-assness and the willingness to be completely unique, however narrow, Nine Inch Nails is definitely on the list for best band ever.

As for Modest Mouse or Bright Eyes, I'm hesitant to throw them into the running. Don't get me wrong I'm pretty much from Seattle and I'm extremely familiar with both of these extremely talented bands. However, they have just not had time yet to become appreciated even. One of the tests for great music is that it can stand the test of time, the two bands mentioned or certainly on their way. I'd actually go as far to say that Modest Mouse should already be in the running, they just need to work on their shows.......

Billy Joel however has certainly stood the test of time. As a fantastic pianist and all-around musician, his songs are some of the most classic songs in the rock folder. His list of songs should be frightening to any aspiring musician and his skill, once again, on the piano keys is ridiculous. Billy Joel is completely in the running.

Image:Beethoven.jpg

How about Chuck Berry? Buddy Holly? Elvis Presly? Stevie Ray Vaughn? BB King?

And I am pondering about the Spice Girls......

Buddy Holly is cool, i like Roy Orbison but i dont listen to them all that much anymore (even though i have all thier music) Elvis is great, but i dont think he is the greatest. Also, i should have mentioned Michael Jackson, he pwns

Muse is ridiculously good, but I can't justify it's inclusion in a BEST EVER list quite yet...

i agree with kiko on the billy joel front. man's a genius, clearly. except 'Uptown Girl'. that was just {censored}.

mm-hm

And to be perfectly honest, I don't know if I can include NIN in it to... I've thought about it some more and I kicked Modest Mouse out for not being around long enough yet, NIN might have to be the same case...

Now the Red Hot Chili Peppers are also a band that turned away from the 80's pop and started their own sound of bluesy funk rock. A music that is crystal perfect for anybody who can catch a rhythm. With their hilarious concert acts and ability to stay current, The Red Hot Chili Peppers are easily on the list...

Exactly, "Breaking the Girl" or "Soul to Squeeze" are great examples of some of their best stuff. OH!!, Remember "{censored} in socks" :P ... timeless.

Queen because they made really wonderful and unforgettable songs, and Freddie's voice is AND WILL EVER BE unsurpassed!!!!

Freddy Mercury has to have the most amazing singing voice ever.

I'm suprised noone has said The Beatles yet.... guess you have to be old or something to like them (which is weird cause im not...)