"I invented tabs"

29 posts in this topic

Companies sew over the most retarded things these days...I swear. In this scenario..this IP Innovation LLP would have to pretty much sew almost every single big name company if they want to win...why the hell do they just select Apple?

I know someone, though this is almost irrelevant, that was sued by a thief that fell through her skylight while trying to break in to her house and broke his back. This person I knew lost the suit, and had to pay upwards of a million dollars.

I know someone, though this is almost irrelevant, that was sued by a thief that fell through her skylight while trying to break in to her house and broke his back. This person I knew lost the suit, and had to pay upwards of a million dollars.

this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard --- america really needs to reform its law system

That's the gayest thing I'v ever heard. How does someone "invent" tabs. Haven't they been available to create in programming languages (I'm thinking of C, create a windows and choose tabs).

That's the gayest thing I'v ever heard. How does someone "invent" tabs. Haven't they been available to create in programming languages (I'm thinking of C, create a windows and choose tabs).

No idea, but I'm pretty sure this case is going to fall through.

Greta: Mr. Reede, several years ago a friend of mine had a burglar on her roof, a burglar. He fell through the kitchen skylight, landed on a cutting board, on a butcher's knife, cutting his leg. The burglar sued my friend, he sued my friend. And because of guys like you *he won*. My friend had to pay the burglar $6,000. Is that justice?

Fletcher: No!

[Greta looks pleased, but then Fletcher continues]

Fletcher: I'd have got him ten.

[Greta stalks off, appalled]

Awfully similar to the movie Liar Liar... I think I need some waders...

Actually if anyone, the creators of Mozilla should sue Microsoft and Apple. They are the ones that made tabs famous.

The burglar thing seriously proves American Legal System is retarded. I mean how does that make sense. The home owner should sue the burglar for breaking her skylight, damaging the floor, causing personal injury and some other legal stuff.

I agree that the american legal system is wicked, but i dont believe this story. Anyway, if you want to read more about lawsuits in usa this is a good starting point. http://www.stellaawards.com/

Actually if anyone, the creators of Mozilla should sue Microsoft and Apple. They are the ones that made tabs famous.

Actually wasnt Opera using tabs way before Mozilla? Either way its not important as tab have been found in GUIs long before Mozilla was even thought of.

I couldn't find anything about what product this "IP Innovation" place has that Apple is infringing on... Are they speaking for some other developer or were they just hanging out smoking dope one day and decided "hey man, let's patent tabs" "Dude, what are you talking about, man?" "Dude, tabs! Let's copyright them!" "Dude, yer full of it! Do you even, like, know what tabs are?" "Naw dude, but let's patent them!"

What a retarded company. They are obviously doing this to hurt apples shares and cost them money. They can't be stupid enough to think they'd win, they are probably doing it for one of their partners or something (MIcrosoft anyone?)

They are obviously doing this to hurt apples shares and cost them money. They can't be stupid enough to think they'd win, they are probably doing it for one of their partners...

I agree...but I think its more in the lines of them wanting to pair up with Apple if anything. Apple nowadays is pretty famous in the news...thats why Cisco tried its hand at kind of convincing Apple to come with some sort of a deal with the iPhone...as if Apple was going to actually listen to this Cisco...and actually give them royalty. The same goes with this...I think the real motive for this is that they just want to partner up with Apple thats all...and I think the only way they could accomplish this is by sewing them to get their attention...and then coming to some sort of a deal. They know very well Apple isnt going to just start announcing partnership deals with these small companies...so this is just like any other desperate shot at winning over a partnership deal with Apple.

Yeah, the real way to get Apple's attention is to write something like coverflow...something positive, like not suing their company over something everyone has.

• 1 year later...

That is inaccurate, because HJ van Rantwijk had millions of downloads with his MultiZilla browser, which later turned into an add-on. He and Davit Hyatt started to work on implementing tabs for Mozilla 1.0 only six months later, after HJ proved that he was right (you may check the 1.0 start page and see for yourself) as he did with many Mozilla features that ended up in Mozilla Firefox (after Mozilla asked HJ if he had filed a patent, since there wasn't a patent filed for NetCaptor).

Yes, even Adam Stiles of Netcaptor asked him to develop a browser product, and HJ used tabs long before Opera ever did. BTW Bill Gates and HJ were in Las Vegas in 1996 (some tech panel) where HJ said that tabs were the future - and please note that this event was filmed and filed as proof in 1997.

Yeah, the real way to get Apple's attention is to write something like coverflow...something positive, like not suing their company over something everyone has.

You could as well search for coverflow and learn that Apple didn't invent it, but bought it - not to mention the term "prior art" here because this appears to have done/written/implemented before the guy sold it to Apple!