[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

Yeah, looking for something cheaper. I'm only 15 :censored2:

I'm only 16 and i built my own "Hac Pro" with my own money. It costed me about $1200 but i didn't go with Xeon's. I chose to go with a single Core 2 Quad. It works EXTREMELY well! Just look at my sig for complete specs

Not looking for Xeons :P I'd be crazy to at my age. I'm 16 in a week or two for anyone's information, and i've built several computers. I'm looking to base my Hac Pro on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 as they seem to be good value for the price, and have the ability of being overclocked. I've already got a MacBook Pro and PowerMac G4 but the G4 is getting a bit slow, and I use my MacBook Pro as my primary computer, but the ability of having a desktop at home is good, especially when you can store all the files on the Hac Pro at home, take the MacBook Pro with you and access the files away from home, e.g. using a EVDO modem. I've already got the G5 case and all I am looking for now is a good motherboard. At the moment I am looking for a ATX mobo, but mATX is also fine. I do not want to cut the case in anyway, although nervouschimp's PSU mod looks tempting. :)

Anyway, thanks in advance.

howie :P

P.S. I was only suggesting Xeons on the Operon-based computer nervouschimp posted... :D

I used an Asus P5W DH Deluxe mobo for my hac pro (found it for about $100 on ebay). It's a full size ATX mobo. It works great in my G5 case! I still haven't cut the case yet and i don't ever plan to! Instead of the p5w i would go with something newer just in case you wanted to upgrade stuff. I don't know anything about newer mobos though. You might want to look at some the the Gigabyte mobos. I think its the DSR3 and DSR4 models? Correct me if i'm wrong because i don't know for sure.

UPDATE: Pictures!!!

inside.jpg

Very Messy!!

back%20panel.jpg

I still need a firewire 800 port and a toslink coupler for the surround sound.

more pictures here and here :lol:

One question for bmxer55, I see that you've located your mobo at the rear of the case. How have you lined up the ports at the back? I know somewhere in this thread someone (i think it was torque86) was talking about receptacles, but I would'nt have a clue how to wire them up to the mobo.

howie :P

One question for bmxer55, I see that you've located your mobo at the rear of the case. How have you lined up the ports at the back? I know somewhere in this thread someone (i think it was torque86) was talking about receptacles, but I would'nt have a clue how to wire them up to the mobo.

howie :rolleyes:

Just take a look at frontx.com. they have all the necessary receptacles for usb, firewire 400, and audio. Thats where i got my stuff from. For ethernet i just got an LAN joiner from my local computer shop and cut it in half and then soldered a short ethernet cable onto both halfs of the joiner. this makes it so i have dual ethernet ports. Hope that makes sense. If you have any more questions just ask. Cheers!

~bmxer55

I actually have one quick question about the Mac Pro, G5 case. What kind of case is it? BTX, ATX, etc? Can I just plug in the power button from the case, to the mobo?

Congratulations for reading this topic so attentively :gun:

I wonder if he realizes that those diagrams :P are on this same thread but about 16 pages back...:P
:P

Hmm...I don't know, I guess when I clicked :P the link and saw the title as "How to Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac enclosure :> ", probably not there, I don't know maybe I just refuse to see any diagrams, or maybe you can just pull the stick out of your ass. :P :P: P:P

All I'm asking is a simple question, and everyone is kind of being a douche about it. I'll admit I really didn't go through the topic well, but that must mean it's time to flame a guy and not help him!

Except my wonderful sweetheart, nervouschimp. ;)

:P

Hmm...I don't know, I guess when I clicked :P the link and saw the title as "How to Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac enclosure :> ", probably not there, I don't know maybe I just refuse to see any diagrams, or maybe you can just pull the stick out of your ass. :P :P: P:P

All I'm asking is a simple question, and everyone is kind of being a douche about it. I'll admit I really didn't go through the topic well, but that must mean it's time to flame a guy and not help him!

Except my wonderful sweetheart, nervouschimp. :queen:

Ok, you learned a new word: "douche". Now could you please stop trolling and use the forum ncely like everyone else? It's not that you are special, you know. We all took the bother to go through the posts before asking obvious questions, and we have all been grateful to each other for doing so. Now, you want to be part of this lamer-free community that actually sometimes get sheeyt done? Fine, be welcome, but please stick to the rules.

No polemic and no offense intended, but you are quite misbehaving, we are all adult people here.

I kind of did, and found no wiring diagrams. :D Wanna be a douche, well that's fine, but at least be a douche and help me out.

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

I have posted a thread for almost every diagram you need for a PowerMac G5 case

RIGHT OVER HERE!!!

:)

i have done it...

asus p5ld2-vm (micro atx) board.

you must create cable that reach the rear of the g5 tower and the rear of the motherboard. (or you can cut it but if you want it to be nice...)

there is not much place than 2 cm !!!!

fill non-used port place with glue gun ( put adesive outside and glue inside and when the glue is cold remove adesive)

for front buttons, you must cut the small board (on the button socket level) otherwise the computer start up himself and the button is not responding.

reach usb and fw with any cables to the motherboard (long enough to go under the board and reach there ports) and to the fw pci board

create a cable motherboard vga to pci bracket.

sata cable must be changed : they are too small

install new and put them under mainboard too

for the alim : i have used X-shuttle small alim !!! (inside the box, down)

you must only reach the rear of the g5 box alim connector place to the x-shuttle alim board...connect apple alim to x-shuttle connector (reffer to the cd connector to find colors with tester...all cables are black..)

(Moderator edit - translation - alim = power supply!)

and all is well working.

(the alim is ok, i have oc my prescott 3 ghz to 3,9 ghz !!!)

one more think...

for motherboard support,

remove apple supports (move them left to right, they are only in 1/2mm of alu, WHEN YOU REMOVE THEM THERE IS ALUMINIUM UNDER...DONT BE AFFRAID )

do not put them to trash !!!!

i have created gomme supports with cutted apple screw support inside

(fix it with real glue on the g5 box, with real glue, you can't extract it when motherboard is fixed...)

hope this help you

oh oh please please..i want..i want pictures yeah :)

Hey frosty computer. hows that 9600 in os x? full res/qe/ci?

need something to replace my 7300gt.

Yeah the 9600 gso is great picked one up for $105. Full res/qe/ci. The 9600GSO is really just a re-branded 8800 gs it even uses the same drivers. Just if you get one upgrade to at least 10.5.3 before installing. Just use NVinstaller v.52 and your set.