[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

Pretty much done.

final_bottom.jpg

I finished the power jumper last night. It runs back inside the case and to the back-panel.

final_plug.jpg

The female power socket is held in place with ABS cement.

final_inside.jpg

After a little cable management.... but eh... it will never be pretty on the inside...

but the outside....

final_rear.jpg

Everything is wired and working 100%.

Up next, eSATA (from the PCI-X slot), a couple more fans, and few other things....

When I read how you did with the cables inside I was thinking, this is impossible for me. And some postings later, you ansewered which parts you used for the back side, I start to look among all my stuffs and found a short extension cable for usb, another for firewire 400, a double extension male females for USB, one or the Optical in/out, just missing the Ethernet and extension Audio!! I will give a try to use the original back panel . ;)

When I read how you did with the cables inside I was thinking, this is impossible for me. And some postings later, you ansewered which parts you used for the back side, I start to look among all my stuffs and found a short extension cable for usb, an other for firewire 400, a double extension male females for USB, one or the Digital in/out, just missing the Ethernet and extension Audio!! I will give a try to use the original back panel . ;)

Go for it! The end result is very satisfying... if you don't mind the rats nest.

Ok we just saw your POWERMAC G5 now where is your Hackintosh lol, looks goods congrats I'm trying to get the G5 powersupply so I can mod it.

Hello, guys!

First of all, sorry for my english!

Secondly... Well.... All that you do is great! But there are some questions. Ok, Cases are vert beutiful, but they are totaly meshed... What about noise and dust?

Maybe theese questions had been already asked. If so, just excuse me, I am newbee anyway...

Yay! I got the last G5 Skate. It's on it's way. I'll take some photos when it arrives. I wasn't able to add it to the shopping cart, so I emailed powersupport, and they said they only had one left, but they would sell it to me. The rear axle might interfere with my power supply, so If it doesn't fit, I might offer it up here before eBay.

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

PLEASE tell me it's a JOKE!?

That's like painting your Harley1475 Pastel Blue with Pink tassles!

SticMAN

Huh? My harley IS pastel blue... but seriously, it's pretty minimal. I thought it was decent looking, and that's why I bought it, but taste is purely subjective. It's obvious that you hate it. ;)

do that is the nicest, sickest thing i have seen nice props. nice job btw

Yay! Someone other than myself likes the G5 skate! It was part of the plan all along, guess I should have warned you guys I'd be totally ruining my already mod from the beginning :(

.... but it was the last one.... doesn't that make it a rare and precious collectors item?

oh well, I still dig it. I'm going to get the G5 roof next just for the reactions.....

I love it nervouschimp. :(

I am busy to make myself a roof with a mesh pannel. I lowered the bottominside of my G5 case to include the pump and PSU . Still to add some piece of mesh pannel to hide the expansion bay.

Edit 26/08/08

Last version of the lowered bottom case :

img5388ha4.jpg

:P

Since my motherboard is a Full atx its harder for using the original G5 psu so I made this diagram to help me and others. If you have any other ideas please let me know

post-114885-1212641778_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More hardware is on the way. I had 2 problems to solve: the onboard sound on the P5E WS Pro is absolute garbage, and 2 hard drive bays is just not going to cut it. So I ordered a few parts:

turtle.jpg

Turtle Beach Riviera PCI

The C-media chipset on this card is supposed to have working Leopard drivers for output only, originally put together by dogbert.

icydocktray.jpg

2 Icy Dock Trays

Since I am going with Icy Dock all around, a few extra of these trays will be good.

icydocksingle.jpg

Icy Dock portible eSATA

This is a nice lil eSATA portable enclosure, and the HDD trays are interchangeable with the big quad-bay below, allowing me to pop out any drive and take it with me. If someone made something like this for the Mac Pro, that allowed the Mac Pro sleds to be quickly slipped into a portable enclosure, I think they might sell a few.

icydockquad.jpg

Icy Dock Quad eSATA

IMO, this is attractive enough to put next to a G5. It looks like it's using the same materials as the Mac Mini: white acrylic and aluminum. It uses 4 separate eSATA connections (one dedicated per drive), which is exactly what I was looking for. I did not want 4 separate eSATA boxes, each with it's own power-brick, that would suck. Anyway, after careful thought I decided against burying more HDDs inside Ghetto-5, and went with the Icy Dock system. Hard drives are cheap enough to treat like zip-drives now, and this makes it easy. Oh, and I prefer that the raid functions are not built in. The box should be transparent to my motherboard/pci-x card. I will get an Areca card soon when I am ready for raid.

imic.jpg

Griffin iMic

The iMic will be installed internally, and connected to the line-in port on the back of the G5. I will try to position it where I can easily access the line/mic toggle if I ever needed mic input(something the G5 couldn't do), but I have a decent USB headset, so it will prolly always stay on line level input mode. For now I am planning to run the rear analog line-out off the turtle beach card, but if the output of the iMic is decent, I may use it for the rear-analogue, and use the stereo optical out on the turtle beach for my rear optical port.

esatabracket.jpg

4-port eSATA PCI-bracket

This bracket is awesome, because not only does it put 4 esata on 1 PCI bracket, but it allows you to use the cable length that is appropriate for any application, or long cables in my case. For now I will be running the unused sata ports on the motherboard to this bracket.

I'll post photos/first impressions when this stuff arrives.

PS. Yeah, yeah, attaching an Icy Dock is like painting your harley pastel blue with tassels on the handlebars. :(

Got the sound installed:

imictaped.jpg

I'm really sensitive to feedback and hum, and so is the iMic, so I shielded the iMic and excess analog wire with metal tape.

The turtle beach is also in, and working great.

stuffed.jpg

Man, this case is stuffed. The only available slot is the PCI-X, and it will get filled soon too.

I am still craving more clarity than either of these products can deliver, and I'm dreaming of an Apogee Duet....