[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

I would hardly say that! There are many people working hard on their g5s, just because we haven't posted yet does not mean nothing is happening!!! Patience my friend

yeah, this thread aint dead... I still see people posting photos..... don't any updates from me for a while, I've got lot's of real-world stuff going on right now.

I am toying with the idea of installing a mac mini in the superdrive bay. It would be on an adhock connection with my mainboard, and it would function as my lil helper for torrents, dvd rips, encoding, etc. I would modify the superdrive hatch to be slot-loading, and I would run a DVI jumper to the rear of the G5, and would use leo screen sharing as well as an internal kvm to control it.

Smoothy knows what he is talking about, since he bought Macpro instead of modding case he had, haha :smoke:

lol, behave yourself!! ill have you kno my case mod is coming along nicely!!! in fact i will be posting to this 'dead' topic in the-not-so-distant-future! lol :)

sweet sorry about my last post really bored, does anyone know any sli motherboards that are compatible with vanilla and EFI, not gonna use sliin osx though only in windows thanks

yeah, this thread aint dead... I still see people posting photos..... don't any updates from me for a while, I've got lot's of real-world stuff going on right now.

I am toying with the idea of installing a mac mini in the superdrive bay. It would be on an adhock connection with my mainboard, and it would function as my lil helper for torrents, dvd rips, encoding, etc. I would modify the superdrive hatch to be slot-loading, and I would run a DVI jumper to the rear of the G5, and would use leo screen sharing as well as an internal kvm to control it.

that would be very interesting, 2 pcs in one

newchurch, you dont mess around do you! lol got the case yesterday, now theres a pc in it today!!

i managed to get a lian li motherboard tray, so i'm just planning the best way of having it! im gonna be fitting a lot of stuff in this case. ive also managed to get my hands on a large sheet of satin anodized aluminium, which looks just like that of the case itself!

newchurch, you dont mess around do you! lol got the case yesterday, now theres a pc in it today!!i managed to get a lian li motherboard tray, so i'm just planning the best way of having it! im gonna be fitting a lot of stuff in this case. ive also managed to get my hands on a large sheet of satin anodized aluminium, which looks just like that of the case itself!
yep I got the lian li case too good fit
I was asked to post a final pic of my ports from the inside:paintedports.jpgI am in the middle slapping a coat of gray testers model paint on there, but it's pretty much done.
im thinking about doing this too what did you use to make the cuts and also those two attenas are thier but what chip are you gonna use for the wifi and bluetooth

got rid of my watercooling kit. just wasnt satisfied with the way it looked. or performed really. so heres my old:IMG_0011.jpgNew:IMG_0026.jpgi got a P5K-VM too. great board for leopard.
now clean up the wiring and you are good and get the front panel board=]
so my front-mounted board, and cabling method would very easily allow for this:imacpro.jpgAn iMac Pro.What do you guys think? should I make this happen?
y not if you can make it happen it will do, but crazy foo, a mac mini, and imac and a G5 hahaha, and would make everything fit on the door like the isight and the monitor so if you ever want to stick the regular door on it you can too. nice.

the iMac Pro mod is actually looking quite practical and cost-effective. the iSight will actually be an xbox 360 live cam, and it will be mounted to the drive shelf, not the side door, so that it can be aimed just right while the door is off. the screen will be a 17-inch widescreen 1440x900 8ms LCD that can be had for $150, and it will fit perfectly. I will be using a hanns-g desktop monitor, and stripping it from the casing, as this is the only affordable method. Using a laptop screen would cost more, require more work, and more parts to convert the LVDS to DVI.... not worth it. I think I will get started on this.....

the iMac Pro mod is actually looking quite practical and cost-effective. the iSight will actually be an xbox 360 live cam, and it will be mounted to the drive shelf, not the side door, so that it can be aimed just right while the door is off. the screen will be a 17-inch widescreen 1440x900 8ms LCD that can be had for $150, and it will fit perfectly. I will be using a hanns-g desktop monitor, and stripping it from the casing, as this is the only affordable method. Using a laptop screen would cost more, require more work, and more parts to convert the LVDS to DVI.... not worth it. I think I will get started on this.....

well when i first saw your picture of the design i thought of using the 360 live camera too. its a great camera for photobooth as it is what i use ! =]

so its gonna be used as your secondary display right.

yeah, I've got an Apple 30-inch cinema display on a humanscale m7 arm for my primary display. It's the perfect setup.

the built in screen is mostly novelty, but there are plenty of uses for the built-in display... eh, I'm sure I'll just fill it up with widgets, or play movies on it while I work. I thought that I would make the desktop background a photo of the inside of a real G5 to create an interesting visual. It would look like a window kit with apps running in it..... silly, I know...

so you already mounted the board and everything, oh yeah the power supply did you find a way to desolder the ones you need and don't

haven't mounted the board. the m3.5 screws I got didn't end up fitting the G5 standoffs, so I have set of G5 case screws coming. I just decided to shorten the PSU cables that were bugging me, just started to do that.... but it's time consuming.